Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we close the roof all the time?

oldunclemark

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's open for the fans, not as an advantage.

The shadows are janky, though.

It makes the game a little hard to watch, to me..but I'm never there so maybe there's something I'm missing./

To someone who is: Elaborate..i'm not being critical....

How does the roof being open make the game more enjoyable for the fans?

An overcast day in the 50-60* range would be perfect. I hope they keep it open as long as it's not raining.

I'm with you, but my understanding is there has to be 0% chance of rain, and it has to be warmer than 60. Frankly I think it's lame that they cut drainage out of the construction budget. I'm a season ticket holder, in the north east corner of the stadium (read: in the sun for the last hour of 1pm games), and I would prefer dealing with the elements over watching an outdoor game played indoors. Count me in the camp of those who wish it was ALWAY OPEN.

It makes the game a little hard to watch, to me..but I'm never there so maybe there's something I'm missing./

I like outside football on a nice day.

Season ticket holder towards the North East corner about the 10 yard line. The sun never quite gets to our seats on 1PM games. The Thursday night game the sun was on the seats when we got there and the plastic was HOT lol but the sun set quickly and we had no problem after that. I like the roof open, especialy when they have fly overs as they did this past game (although the helicopter was just out side of the North Window so not a true fly over). I enjoy the breeze that always seems to blow through. Last season they had the roof open and not the window for one game and it was quite stuffy.

This roof is "Irsay's Folly"

He did contribute $180+ million to get this roof put on. It was originally designed without the open roof concept.

People sitting at the north end are constantly looking into the sun it it's a one o'clock game.

Shadows are cast across the field which makes it very difficult for the receivers to pick up the flight of the ball.

Receivers lose the ball in the sunlight. Look at this past game. We lost a TD because the reciever lost the ball coming out of the shadows and looking directly into the sun. He missed the ball by five yards and was wide open to the end zone. There were several other times our receivers lost it, but that was sooooo obviously for a TD. !

KEEP IRSAY'S FOLLY CLOSED AT ALL TIMES !!!!

I might add that the window at the north end is awesome when it is open.

Also, for those of you who are destined to chime in about how "soft" colts fans are compared to other teams fans.... Most open roof stadiums get the occasional breeze and all that... not so in the Oil Can.... Both my wife and I were cooked and have tan lines to prove it! LOL.

I believe it. Have heard many stories like that. That's why i always try to get tickets at the other end for day games lol.

They just want to play with their 180 million dollar toy...roof go open...roof go closed...roof go open...roof go closed...

Now I'm just sayin'.....Irsay could play with it all he wanted to and the last time before the game would be "roof go closed".

What a concept.....Way to go, CF4L.....!!!!

They just want to play with their 180 million dollar toy...roof go open...roof go closed...roof go open...roof go closed...

To me..if its a dome..have no open roof..you don't get shadows like that in a true open air stadium...

All outdoor or open roof stadiums have shaddows of one type or another. From flag pols, light stands, score boards the satadium itself. There is no difference. I would have preferred no roof at all as in GILETT STADIUM open. Football was meant to be played outdoors. As for the poster that stated we missed a touchdown due to shadows - did you personaly question the player as to the reason he missed the catch - I didn't think so. And yes - the roof was open for some of Peyton's games also. I have been to every game since Lucas Oil opened and the only games it is closed is when the temperature is over 80 under 55 or if there is a chance of rain. There was the one game last year when they closed it half way through the game because a front was moving in faster than anticipated and it could start raining before the end of the game (which it did).

5:54 to go 2nd quarter. Ball on the 48. Luck stands in sunlight at the 43, throws through the shadows to Avery, Avery losses it in the shadows and then bright sun. Ball drops harmlessly on the turf in the center of the field at the 20.

8:31 to go 3rd quarter. Ball on the 23, Luck stands in shadow, throws left sideline to Fleenor, Fleenor can't see the ball. Lands short and he never sees it. Prolly a TD.

Just two big plays in one ball game.

Weld 'er shut.....

All outdoor or open roof stadiums have shaddows of one type or another. From flag pols, light stands, score boards the satadium itself. There is no difference. I would have preferred no roof at all as in GILETT STADIUM open. Football was meant to be played outdoors. As for the poster that stated we missed a touchdown due to shadows - did you personaly question the player as to the reason he missed the catch - I didn't think so. And yes - the roof was open for some of Peyton's games also. I have been to every game since Lucas Oil opened and the only games it is closed is when the temperature is over 80 under 55 or if there is a chance of rain. There was the one game last year when they closed it half way through the game because a front was moving in faster than anticipated and it could start raining before the end of the game (which it did).

Football was "meant" to be played outdoors????? Yeah, riiiiight

And yes, there is a huge difference between flag pole shadows and superstrucure shadows. These shadows are wide and go all the way accross the field in two locations. The ball travels through these shadows all day. In addition the south end wall casts a shadow that crawls northward during the game.

Lucas has been closed for almost every game because of the threat of rain (and temp, as you suggest). The field is below grade and any water falling on the field must be pumped out. It has been open for fewer than 5 regular season games. It is NEVER changed once the game starts. Decision is made 2 hours before game time, and it is opened or left closed 30 minutes later. Once it is done, it is done for the duration. That is why it is rarely open for regular season games.

Irsay's Folly....

I hate dome football. Always hated being outside on a perfect 70 degree fall day, then walk inside, into the fluorescent lights and sterile atmosphere to watch the game. Plus, we're trying to build a different type of team and a different attitude here. Keep it open as much as possible.

You could take care of some of the shadows just by repositioning the banners. Also, by October, with the angle of the sun, nearly the entire field is shaded.

They paid $100M for it and it sames them on air conditioning so why wouldn't they open it?

"They" paid nothing for it. Irsay did. The total cost of re-engineering, building, and changing original superstructure to accomadate it was $180 Million.....Huber, Hunt, and Nichols (now Hunt Construction) did the general contracting, and I have a relative that works for the Hunts, father retired, son now runs it...

I hate dome football. Always hated being outside on a perfect 70 degree fall day, then walk inside, into the fluorescent lights and sterile atmosphere to watch the game.

Well, you could sit on your driveway and watch it through the window on your 60" inch TV in November, December, and January...

This roof is "Irsay's Folly"

He did contribute $180+ million to get this roof put on. It was originally designed without the open roof concept.

People sitting at the north end are constantly looking into the sun it it's a one o'clock game.

Shadows are cast across the field which makes it very difficult for the receivers to pick up the flight of the ball.

Receivers lose the ball in the sunlight. Look at this past game. We lost a TD because the reciever lost the ball coming out of the shadows and looking directly into the sun. He missed the ball by five yards and was wide open to the end zone. There were several other times our receivers lost it, but that was sooooo obviously for a TD. !

KEEP IRSAY'S FOLLY CLOSED AT ALL TIMES !!!!

I might add that the window at the north end is awesome when it is open.

I didn't know Thomas Jefferson was still alive and posted here

I have been to two games at Lucas Oil. Last home game against the Texans last year and Sunday against the Vikings (yeah they were both GREAT games) Texans was Thursday night game with roof shut Sunday was open. Anyway the roof open during the day is MUUUUUUCH better than closed up.

I sit in section 101, the sun beats down on the north endzone the entire afternoon. I hate the roof being open. It is like sitting in your car with the sunroof open and the windows shut. There is no where for the heat to go. Its a freaking sweat box. The shadows make it hard to see. Unless its a night game, or 4:30 game, keep the roof closed.

To make matter worse, it cost $4.50 for a freaking water.

There are so few times typically during a season for us that the weather is decent enough to have it open that it's nice when it is open. Depending on where your seats are will be how comfortable/uncomfortable it will be for you. Where I sit I don't get the sun on me so it doesn't make it too bad.