Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

# Of Draft Picks For Andrew Luck?

JaseAiden23

I would prefer to address the quarterback position once Peyton hangs them up. Sign a free agent, trade some draft picks to move up in the draft, make a trade. Green Bay got lucky with Aaron Rodgers, a) for him falling in the draft b) for him developing the way that he did. You have to remember for 3 years he took up a roster spot that could have been used for another weapon for Favre, or a player on their defense. He was a wasted roster spot. In hindsight it worked out great for them, but I don't think it is something you can bank on each and every time nor is drafting the #1 QB. There are plenty of examples that disprove that one.

I would prefer to Manning and the offense have an extra weapon, lineman or a defender that can help the team for 3 years as opposed to slowly developing and not helping the team for a number of years.

Now if something freaky were to happen and Manning goes on IR and we end up 1-15, or 0-16, then it might change my opinion, but even then with Andrew Luck sitting there... If he sits for 3+ years, it's a wasted spot without a guarantee.

Wont happen.

1. To early to take the next QB after Peyton.

2. Who ever has the 1st pick is supposed to have the most sure thing since Peyton Manning looking them in the face, they aren't going to trade the pick.

3. We'll have other holes to fill beyond back up QB.

4. We would probaly have to give up any real chance we had to win under Peyton just to get Luck.

It's not going to happen unless Peyton is done for the year and Collins goes out for the year in week one and Painter become the starting QB.

I would prefer to address the quarterback position once Peyton hangs them up. Sign a free agent, trade some draft picks to move up in the draft, make a trade. Green Bay got lucky with Aaron Rodgers, a) for him falling in the draft b) for him developing the way that he did. You have to remember for 3 years he took up a roster spot that could have been used for another weapon for Favre, or a player on their defense. He was a wasted roster spot. In hindsight it worked out great for them, but I don't think it is something you can bank on each and every time nor is drafting the #1 QB. There are plenty of examples that disprove that one.

I would prefer to Manning and the offense have an extra weapon, lineman or a defender that can help the team for 3 years as opposed to slowly developing and not helping the team for a number of years.

Now if something freaky were to happen and Manning goes on IR and we end up 1-15, or 0-16, then it might change my opinion, but even then with Andrew Luck sitting there... If he sits for 3+ years, it's a wasted spot without a guarantee.

I guess you never seen the kid California play who took over for that Bret Favre guy. Think he turned out to be pretty good QB and i think they are favorites to win the super bowl again this year. (Aaron Rodgers)

Yes, you had said even if we did get Luck, he would just be taking a roster spot. To my point we need to take the same scenario that Green Bay did with Rodgers.

Obviously you failed at comprehending it then.

If it were guaranteed that Luck or any other QB would develop like that then sure. But there are no promises are guarantees. Green Bay got lucky. Favre could have retired, and they could have had a 1st round quarterback that failed like a number of 1st round Quarterbacks do. I guess you failed to read the part where I said in hind sight it worked out for them.

If we draft someone next year, it would still be with the purpose of backing Manning and learning from him for a few years. But we can aim for a higher talent level with upside.

Personally, I like 2 guys - one at the end of round 2, Kirk Cousins of Michigan State and another at the end of round 3, Kellen Moore of Boise State. I think both have enough upside to manage games well at the next level and maybe even get better than what they are projected with learning under Peyton.

If we draft someone next year, it would still be with the purpose of backing Manning and learning from him for a few years. But we can aim for a higher talent level with upside.

Personally, I like 2 guys - one at the end of round 2, Kirk Cousins of Michigan State and another at the end of round 3, Kellen Moore of Boise State. I think both have enough upside to manage games well at the next level and maybe even get better than what they are projected with learning under Peyton.

You also will have to consider that the offense will be different. Even if Caldwell is in place when Manning retires they won't be using the same scheme. Not many quarterbacks in the game could run it successfully. I don't see it as a qb friendly offense like the West Coast, or the Patriots offense. If so, then Painter would be doing better than he is with the time he's had in the system. We will see a more traditional approach or maybe even a WCO. We run what we run because of Manning and trying to force that offense on most other quarterbacks isn't fair to them.

You also will have to consider that the offense will be different. Even if Caldwell is in place when Manning retires they won't be using the same scheme. Not many quarterbacks in the game could run it successfully. I don't see it as a qb friendly offense like the West Coast, or the Patriots offense. If so, then Painter would be doing better than he is with the time he's had in the system. We will see a more traditional approach or maybe even a WCO. We run what we run because of Manning and trying to force that offense on most other quarterbacks isn't fair to them.

Im hoping Manning takes Caldwell with him when he retires..

Well, we would have to suck for that to happen... So im not hoping Caldwell gets fired before Peyton is ready to go...

You are most likely right. We missed the shot of having him fired. Manning could have put on a diva dress and pitched a fit as soon as last season ended, but we all know he respects the game and people too much to do that.

10 reasons why this won't happen.

1. Peyton will play at least 14 games this season, which means we will make the playoffs.

2. Whoever is getting the #1 pick will likely have a need for a QB (we don't), and will never give this pick up. Especially now that the new CBA has made less painful the signing of rookies.

3. This won't happen.

4. The Colts simply don't have enough picks or players for a team to be interested in coughing up the #1 pick.

5. Luck would do nothing for 4 years.

6. This won't happen.

7. The Colts would be mortgaging the remainder of Manning's career in the hopes that some unproven college kid could get us winning again. Colossal waste of Manning's last years.

8. I promise you, Luck will never be what Manning is.

9. This won't happen.

10. If you needed this many reasons, you are dumb.

The biggest thing to remember about the whole injury and future QB situation is that Irsay Polian and Peyton all know more than us fans. They will always have more knowlege of the situation than we do. I hope Peyton gets healthy and is able to play every game for the next five years of his contract and comes back for a couple more. But just because his contract is for five years doesnt mean he is definatly playing five more years.

I hope we're picking 32nd next year, but if this injury causes him to miss time or play sub-peyton like then us picking in the top half of the draft is possible. And if they believe it could shorten his career to 3 or 4 more years instead, then taking a QB next year early could be possible. Idk about trading up for the #1 pick. If peyton misses the whole season then we'll be picking there anyway.

Us using a first round pick on a QB for the future would not upset me at all. When was the last time we had production from a 1st round pick anyway? Addai? Yes a very valuable player for our team, but not a stud running back, like some taken later in drafts or undrafted FA. The last time we've actually had true stars in the first round was '01-'03(Reggie,Freeney,Dallas). and other than Addai, the others have done next to nothing since then.

So trading up for Luck could make sense if we are already picking in the top half of the draft and they expect Peytons career to be shortened. I would almost rather take a QB in the first round and save our late rounds for other players, thats where we get production anyway.

10 reasons why this won't happen.

1. Peyton will play at least 14 games this season, which means we will make the playoffs.

2. Whoever is getting the #1 pick will likely have a need for a QB (we don't), and will never give this pick up. Especially now that the new CBA has made less painful the signing of rookies.

3. This won't happen.

4. The Colts simply don't have enough picks or players for a team to be interested in coughing up the #1 pick.

5. Luck would do nothing for 4 years.

6. This won't happen.

7. The Colts would be mortgaging the remainder of Manning's career in the hopes that some unproven college kid could get us winning again. Colossal waste of Manning's last years.

8. I promise you, Luck will never be what Manning is.

9. This won't happen.

10. If you needed this many reasons, you are dumb.

Wow, because you have a list of your own reasons and you can count up to ten. Doesnt mean that someone is dumb. Im glad you have faith in Peyton starting in all 14 games, but if you havent noticed his health is in decline. All it takes is one hit. I just understand the need of a QB in this league. It seems you are putting all your chips on Peyton being healthy the next four yrs. Im not, the guy is 35 and needs to have an apprentice in the waiting. Have we all been blinded by Peytons greatness that we put him on some higher level than injury or age?? Im not one for waiting til the year he retires then trying to find his successor. I say let a kid learn from one of the best Qbs to ever play the game. And to point number 8. who will ever be able to live up to Peyton??

First of all, we don't want a #1 pick to sit for 4 years, which is what will happen if Manning plays out his contract. Second, this thread assumes that Luck will enter the draft next year. Luck is technically a redshirt junior and could play another year of college ball if he does not like the lay of the land when next off season is here. Third, if Luck does not come out, we will know the full nature of Manning's injury by then and all this speculation will have more validity.

Wow, because you have a list of your own reasons and you can count up to ten. Doesnt mean that someone is dumb. Im glad you have faith in Peyton starting in all 14 games, but if you havent noticed his health is in decline. All it takes is one hit. I just understand the need of a QB in this league. It seems you are putting all your chips on Peyton being healthy the next four yrs. Im not, the guy is 35 and needs to have an apprentice in the waiting. Have we all been blinded by Peytons greatness that we put him on some higher level than injury or age?? Im not one for waiting til the year he retires then trying to find his successor. I say let a kid learn from one of the best Qbs to ever play the game. And to point number 8. who will ever be able to live up to Peyton??

Well, Manning has been nothing short of an iron man. Is he above health issues and age? I never said he was. But then again, his body isn't built like that of an average human. To your point, the same hit that can take Manning out hits new guy, and QB of the future is as good as done too.

QB is a necessity. Green Bay got lucky. Whoever needs a QB to start immediately will bet the farm to land Luck and play him accordingly. We would be the laughing stock of the NFL if we did the same to get a guy who would assuredly be a back up for 4 years, short of some injury taking Manning out (even though nothing of the sort has ever happened to him during a season; knock on wood).

Finally, I can see why you support the minority living in fool's dream land based on your few posts. Take a seat, son.