Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does Peyton's arm get stronger later in the game?

oldunclemark

I have noticed that since he's come back..his first few passes seem weak and he gains strength as the game progresses...

At Atlanta, I think he was just fooled by the defense..although he didnt admit it..

But he was stronger and more accurate later. in the 2nd half

Did anyone else think so....?

..and is there any posssible explaination..?

I have noticed that since he's come back..his first few passes seem weak and he gains strength as the game progresses...

At Atlanta, I think he was just fooled by the defense..although he didnt admit it..

Mark, I'm not sure if it actually ":got stronger", or if he was more decisive with his throws..

I think the biggest issue last night was breaking down what Atlanta was doing. The masking of their intentions and movement was very good.

I'd almost compare it to a grounder hit to a 3rd baseman. Nobody on, he knows without a doubt he's throwing the ball to 1st base... With a runner on first he has a decision to make whether to throw to 2nd or to 1st and the throw isn't exactly the same...

There could be something to being warmed up more, or what have you later in the game as opposed to starting the game. You see that with pitching all the time so the concept shouldn't necessarily be lost on quarterbacking.

So you might be on to something. He did look better in the 2nd half, and I haven't gone back to look at the 3 interceptions in great detail, but, I think the defense had more to do with the interceptions than anything else.

His arm was the same throughout to me. He just made three bad decisions. When they got in rhythm they certainly played better, but his balls weren't any stronger than they were in the first.

The post to Decker that he couldn't bring down late(which would have been cancelled out due to a holding call), looked like his strongest throw of the night to me. It looked as if it had more zip at first glance than the ones that were intercepted, but as I said in another post, I haven't gone back and looked at them in great detail.

Mark, I'm not sure if it actually ":got stronger", or if he was more decisive with his throws..

I think the biggest issue last night was breaking down what Atlanta was doing. The masking of their intentions and movement was very good.

I'd almost compare it to a grounder hit to a 3rd baseman. Nobody on, he knows without a doubt he's throwing the ball to 1st base... With a runner on first he has a decision to make whether to throw to 2nd or to 1st and the throw isn't exactly the same...

There could be something to being warmed up more, or what have you later in the game as opposed to starting the game. You see that with pitching all the time so the concept shouldn't necessarily be lost on quarterbacking.

So you might be on to something. He did look better in the 2nd half, and I haven't gone back to look at the 3 interceptions in great detail, but, I think the defense had more to do with the interceptions than anything else.

that's probably a better way of putting it.....maybe more decisive throws...

I thought the first two interceptins were badly underthrown but the third one was overthrown..

I'm not worried about his arm strength becase it was good at the end but he was fooled badly by that floating scrambling, blob defense until they started to block it for Magahee..and that pened up the pass for him

You are right on about weaker passes early. If his arm strength is about 90% of what it was, to me that piuts him back to where he was when he came into the league. He threw a lot of wobbly balls his 1st 5 years and averaged 20 INT`s a year. I would expect 20 or more INT`s this season.

It does look like he loosens up as the game goes on, and also learns he better give it all he has, especially for those longer throws.

You are right on about weaker passes early. If his arm strength is about 90% of what it was, to me that piuts him back to where he was when he came into the league. He threw a lot of wobbly balls his 1st 5 years and averaged 20 INT`s a year. I would expect 20 or more INT`s this season.

It does look like he loosens up as the game goes on, and also learns he better give it all he has, especially for those longer throws.

BB-man

I dont worry about a QB's interceptions downfield....that's like a punt to me....

manning (or his brother) has never been interception-free.

All in all..I thought his second half was impressive..I think if they'yd have held on 3rd down with 2:00 left,,,they'dm have won.

The post to Decker that he couldn't bring down late(which would have been cancelled out due to a holding call), looked like his strongest throw of the night to me. It looked as if it had more zip at first glance than the ones that were intercepted, but as I said in another post, I haven't gone back and looked at them in great detail.

I don't think there was a penalty on that play. I think the one with the holding penalty was at the end of the first half, and it was the double post to Thomas. Could be wrong.

But the post to Decker you're talking about was an absolute laser. You could probably hear the ball whistling through the air if you were on the field.