Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offciating in 2012

King Colt

Last nights Broncos Falsons game the remark was made the officials now are like asking sixth round draft picks to go out an compete against starters. All pregame shows all day were heavily critical of what is happening on Sundays. The hit on the Dallas player in the head by Tate on Seattle has to come to the forefront in view of all the long drawn out conversations were have heard all preseason about the "deep" concern the NFL has for the health of it's players. The game last night called out of bounds by an official standing a few yards from the reception is a great eaxample of incompetance. The official was be over with hands on knees focused on the play and got it wrong. There was a holding penaty against the Falcons called by an official far down the field but not called by an official 5-6 yards from the play. The Ravens were denied a touchdown against Philadelphia. A Saints fan nearly called the Sainst game until it was discovered he was a fan. WHEN DOES THIS END?! A B-B-Billion dollar business with . running the games. This is worse than the politicians we have attempting to run our country. Throw them ALL out.

Last nights Broncos Falsons game the remark was made the officials now are like asking sixth round draft picks to go out an compete against starters. All pregame shows all day were heavily critical of what is happening on Sundays. The hit on the Dallas player in the head by Tate on Seattle has to come to the forefront in view of all the long drawn out conversations were have heard all preseason about the "deep" concern the NFL has for the health of it's players. The game last night called out of bounds by an official standing a few yards from the reception is a great eaxample of incompetance. The official was be over with hands on knees focused on the play and got it wrong. There was a holding penaty against the Falcons called by an official far down the field but not called by an official 5-6 yards from the play. The Ravens were denied a touchdown against Philadelphia. A Saints fan nearly called the Sainst game until it was discovered he was a fan. WHEN DOES THIS END?! A B-B-Billion dollar business with . running the games. This is worse than the politicians we have attempting to run our country. Throw them ALL out.

Pats Gronk called for a hold that brings a TD back that the former head of officials said was at BEST a marginal call and that no regular official would have called it.So a growing list of teams who have lost games or worse PLAYERS do to the refs inexperience or knowledge of the game!

This is what Steve Young said after the game last night. Transcribed by a Denver reporter:

I can say this because league officials have gone to sleep, so let me just go right at this. There's a lot of people in the league that would rather break the (referees') union. There's a lot of people who don't feel like officiating is on-field personnel; they feel like it's a commodity.

But more importantly, everything about the NFL now is inelastic for demand. There's nothing they can do to hurt the demand for the game. So the bottom line is they don't care. Player safety doesn't matter in this case. Bring in Division III officials -- doesn't matter. Because in the end you're still going to watch the game. We're going to all complain and moan and gripe and say there's all these problems. All the coaches will say it, the players will say it. Doesn't matter. So just go ahead, gripe all you want. I'm going to rest. Let them eat cake.

Pats Gronk called for a hold that brings a TD back that the former head of officials said was at BEST a marginal call and that no regular official would have called it.So a growing list of teams who have lost games or worse PLAYERS do to the refs inexperience or knowledge of the game!

Well, since it was on a Patriot, it was clearly a hold... I'm surprised he wasn't ejected it was so heinous.

Note that red italicized font on the internet is a sign of sarcasm.

This is what Steve Young said after the game last night. Transcribed by a Denver reporter:

I can say this because league officials have gone to sleep, so let me just go right at this. There's a lot of people in the league that would rather break the (referees') union. There's a lot of people who don't feel like officiating is on-field personnel; they feel like it's a commodity.

But more importantly, everything about the NFL now is inelastic for demand. There's nothing they can do to hurt the demand for the game. So the bottom line is they don't care. Player safety doesn't matter in this case. Bring in Division III officials -- doesn't matter. Because in the end you're still going to watch the game. We're going to all complain and moan and gripe and say there's all these problems. All the coaches will say it, the players will say it. Doesn't matter. So just go ahead, gripe all you want. I'm going to rest. Let them eat cake.

He's 100% right... It would take the coaches, or the players either independently or jointly to walk out to put a stop to it.

Or if we stopped watching. Now, that would have a real impact. Can we do that?

If it were universal it would have an impact, but I don't see that being accomplished... Come Thursday night i'll be watching the Panthers/Giants whether they have the real refs or not.

To me the only way for that not to happen would be if the Coaches and or players walked out against these officials.

If it were universal it would have an impact, but I don't see that being accomplished... Come Thursday night i'll be watching the Panthers/Giants whether they have the real refs or not.

To me the only way for that not to happen would be if the Coaches and or players walked out against these officials.

Couldn't agree more. I'm watching no matter if its pee wee officials. This crap is entertaining and sadly very hilarious at times. Take last nights game for example. If you weren't sitting on your couch with your mouth just hanging open with droool pooling on your lap because you were in so much awe of what was taking place then you must of been sleeping. That was one of the most jacked up first halfs I've ever witnessed. They had one flag that took 15 minutes to decide the outcome, threw one flag, just for kicks I guess, as Coach Fox was shooting blood out of eyes, they called a fumble recovery for the Falcons when Denver came out with the ball, blatantly missed a TD call from 4 yards away, gave Denver 10 yards instead of 5 on defensive holding, called many offensive holding and pass interference that just weren't there and some I'm not even remembering at the moment. All this just in the first half that took almost 2 hours to complete. I can't wait the for the Steelers / Ravens game if these refs are still here. Somebodies gonna get pummeled. Bring yo popcorn!!!!! Its Showtime!!!

I wish that the two sides could figure out a deal that both could live with. I don't have a lot of sympathy for either side, the NFL should be concerned with how poorly the games are being officiated. However, the real refs are getting a six figure salary for a part time job and complaining about going from a defined benefit plan to a 401K. Both positions leave much to be desired.

Everybody is whining but there are major issues like the refs pensions...

How much..how long..if any......They dont want to be full time employees...

The games are going on...and the refs seem confused, they arent making any more bad calls than the high paid refs did...

This strike is going to last a while.....

..it'll giove the players more to complain about...the evil NFL that forces them to play football for a living

Goodell has to be seen as playing his hand to the end for what has to be reason of ego. Why trash such a beloved sport when the solution is a micro amount of money? This truely puts the fans to the back of the line while we pay outrageous amounts of money to watch.

Its a labor negotiation......there's a lot of money involved...for a lot of years..

Nobdy's going to get hurt by bad calls...

Teams are using this as an excuse and distraction when their teams are failing (see Denver Monday Night Football). The announcers are getting annoying taking shots at the replacements that they NEVER would about the normal refs or players. I thought the Monday Night Football was pathetic instead of talking about Mannings noodle arm they let the coaches turn it into Denver vs. the replacement refs.

The Colts games have all looked professional just a few missed calls. Colts flagged 15 yds for a mutual shove on sunday and last week an obvious offsides was not called resulting in an interception. But on Sunday I saw a colts player grab a Vikings player on the kickoff for a very obvious penalty that went uncalled. And the regular refs miss stuff all the time so who knows if these get called even then. Goes both ways just like it always has.

Nobdy's going to get hurt by bad calls...

this "in itself" is a true statement. However, bad call after bad call, can (and has) changed the pace of the game, the outcome of the game, the angst of both those on the field playing and coaching and those at home watching. True, the regular officials make their share of missed or bad calls too, but it has gone to a whole new level this season and It's been very unpleasant to watch.