Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Would The Colts Sign Kerry Collins For 2 Years?

Andy

Does anyone really know for a fact that he was given a two year contract or just what has been posted? As far as the amount in the cap it's hard to say what we really have. I don't know how all you people keep track of it. I have enough to do to keep track of my checking account without trying to keep track of what the Colts spend. lol

one place i read , sorry no link, said was a 2 year deal but Colts had some opt out clause to make it into one, Did not explain how

other places said 1 or 2 years depending where u read it

yeah i know sounds starnge

I'm suddenly turning into a "Painter apologist" for some reason. Certainly not my goal in life.

Actually I've seen Painter do something good that made me sit up and take notice in just about every game he's played - even in that ridiculous Jets game in which he was thrown to the lions - and I've read repeatedly that he's an ace in practice. By all rights he could have committed Hari Kari on the 50 yard line of the Jets game after that first series, but he went out on the second series and made a brilliant throw pretty deep to the left sideline as if he wasn't phased by anything that had happened. A couple of other good throws as well. And afterward not a single media outlet showed it. They just endlessly repeated the embarrassing stuff. Maybe he wouldn't be such a head case now if not for that circus. I see the talent, apparently so do his team-mates and the Colts management. It gets frustrating watching him make bad decisions and heave easy passes at his receivers feet, but there is something there. A heck of a lot more ability than Sorgi for one thing. Sorgi just aspired to be a game manager but couldn't quite do it. Painter is more like Cutler as far as physical skills. He just needs for the game to slow down in his head. That may come with time.

By the way, I would love to have someone like Brunell instead of Collins. Delhome (who I heard was considered) wouldn't be bad either. I'm sure there are many more. The sad fact, however, is that Collins IS considerably less mobile than Manning, and he holds onto the ball way way too long. The very things that allow Manning to turn a below average o-line into one that gives up the fewest sakes in football are utterly missing from Collin's game and always have been. Check out his career stats. 39 once with Oakland. That's more than 2-3 drives per game killed by his brilliant game management skills. He did better with Tennessee, but the Colts don't have their line. I doubt he's gotten quicker in the ensuing years.

not only dont the colts have the titans OL to give Collins time, Teams were worried about Chris Johnson , not Collins beating them, so pressure was off Collins

I think this is one of the worst moves i have seen the Colts make. So you're telling me you would pay Collins 4 million over 2 years for what? Im not sure that money was spent very wisely. I would have rather us signed T.O. or Moss and

let Painter do his thing.
I know im gonna catch heck for that one, but doesnt it say something when our number 1 receiver feels so strongly to give the guy a chance. I just think that over half the money we had left on the cap was spent too hastily. Believe me i hope it works out, but i say give the kid (Painter) a shot. And from just watching the panel of Monday Night Countdown, I think we both are in agreement this could be a mistake for Indy. Guess we will see. PS. Take it easy on me for the Painter comments. I know there is alot of Painter haters out there.

There in lies the problem!

Does anyone really know for a fact that he was given a two year contract or just what has been posted? As far as the amount in the cap it's hard to say what we really have. I don't know how all you people keep track of it. I have enough to do to keep track of my checking account without trying to keep track of what the Colts spend. lol

ESPN

In order to lure Collins back to the NFL, the Colts will pay him $4 million this season, league sources told Mortensen. The sources also said it is a two-year contract with an unknown total value, but structured, in essence, to be a one-year deal.

I Have No Idea What That Means

My link

ESPN

In order to lure Collins back to the NFL, the Colts will pay him $4 million this season, league sources told Mortensen. The sources also said it is a two-year contract with an unknown total value, but structured, in essence, to be a one-year deal.

I Have No Idea What That Means

My link

It means there is no penalty to the team if Collins and the Colts go their separate ways at the end of the year.

not only dont the colts have the titans OL to give Collins time, Teams were worried about Chris Johnson , not Collins beating them, so pressure was off Collins

Amen. And it's worth noting that with all that he was still much more effective than Vince Young, who is a pretty lousy QB in my opinion despite the winning %.