Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Would The Colts Sign Kerry Collins For 2 Years?

Andy

Peyton Manning is uncertain if he'll play in week 1. With that being said, we should sign a QB, and to a 1 year contract, because it's only this year we're worried about. Why would the Colts go out and sign Kerry Colins to a 2 year deal? BTW, Kerry Collins is getting 4M this year, so that means we have about 3M left in the salary cap.

Do simple math and the answer becomes clear. Peyton signed a five year deal. After two years Manning will be in the last three years of that deal and maybe his career. That puts you in the window to draft the QB after Manning who can back him up till he retires. That also means the Colts don't have to go find a back up QB next year. It's a very smart move.

Peyton Manning is uncertain if he'll play in week 1. With that being said, we should sign a QB, and to a 1 year contract, because it's only this year we're worried about. Why would the Colts go out and sign Kerry Colins to a 2 year deal? BTW, Kerry Collins is getting 4M this year, so that means we have about 3M left in the salary cap.

Does anyone really know for a fact that he was given a two year contract or just what has been posted? As far as the amount in the cap it's hard to say what we really have. I don't know how all you people keep track of it. I have enough to do to keep track of my checking account without trying to keep track of what the Colts spend. lol

Do simple math and the answer becomes clear. Peyton signed a five year deal. After two years Manning will be in the last three years of that deal and maybe his career. That puts you in the window to draft the QB after Manning who can back him up till he retires. That also means the Colts don't have to go find a back up QB next year. It's a very smart move.

Smart post and makes sense to me. What do I know though. lol

I had to wonder if this was another deaking of the reporters and all but then I seen 4 million/yr deal and thought, uh oh, this injury deal may be bigger than we think. I really am in shock we paid Collins 4 million though, rediculous payment for a man of his age. Large rent I suppose. I would guess there are some cuts we look at for the following year and perhaps later in the season as they mature and grasp some of the playbook.

What are the cap ramifications of using Collins for 4 games and then cutting him? Is that a prorated cost since he didn't play the whole year?

John

I think this is one of the worst moves i have seen the Colts make. So you're telling me you would pay Collins 4 million over 2 years for what? Im not sure that money was spent very wisely. I would have rather us signed T.O. or Moss and let Painter do his thing. I know im gonna catch heck for that one, but doesnt it say something when our number 1 receiver feels so strongly to give the guy a chance. I just think that over half the money we had left on the cap was spent too hastily. Believe me i hope it works out, but i say give the kid (Painter) a shot. And from just watching the panel of Monday Night Countdown, I think we both are in agreement this could be a mistake for Indy. Guess we will see. PS. Take it easy on me for the Painter comments. I know there is alot of Painter haters out there.

That is a very smart post. Good thinking :thmup: Let me ask you this, would you have wanted the Colts to sign a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal.

That is a very smart post. Good thinking :thmup: Let me ask you this, would you have wanted the Colts to sign a 1 year deal or a 2 year deal.

I think this is one of the worst moves i have seen the Colts make. So you're telling me you would pay Collins 4 million over 2 years for what? Im not sure that money was spent very wisely. I would have rather us signed T.O. or Moss and let Painter do his thing. I know im gonna catch heck for that one, but doesnt it say something when our number 1 receiver feels so strongly to give the guy a chance. I just think that over half the money we had left on the cap was spent too hastily. Believe me i hope it works out, but i say give the kid (Painter) a shot. And from just watching the panel of Monday Night Countdown, I think we both are in agreement this could be a mistake for Indy. Guess we will see. PS. Take it easy on me for the Painter comments. I know there is alot of Painter haters out there.

lol Fans are great, some of you whine and complian we need a vet back up for years despite being told the reason we don't go get one is so we can pay for other players. They go out and get one and now we are crying that we have one because we should have used money on someone else. People can't have it both ways...

The Colts have given Painter a shot, frankly they gave him more of a shot than most fans would have given him. He clearly hasn't shown them enough to make them feel like he can do the job or they wouldn't have gone out and gotten Collins.

I like the two year deal. If Painter wasn't the answer this year I don't think he's going to magiclly be in the answer next year. I think he's good to have as a third QB but I don't think he's good enough to be our back up.

1 yr, 2 yrs.... what does it matter?

I think its funny the media loves the Vince young pickup by Philly, but they don't like Collins as a #2 in Indy.

I seem to remember Collins beating out VY.

I think the 2nd yr. is an indication that they will hang on to Painter this yr. and let him go after the season. Then they will draft another new guy next offseason to take over the backup spot when Collins hangs em' up for good.

I think it's an indication they will keep both for two years (unless Painter's deal is up after this one) and address the QB spot in the draft not this off-season but the following one.

I do find it a bit odd myself. I don't think there's any ulterior motive for it (Unless we hope to trade him after this season, maybe?) but it just seems odd because not that long ago Collins was ready to retire and stay that way.

For a man coming out of retirement with his history of service, a one year deal seems much better for him...

One would have to see the actual #'s or details of the contract.

A player with his level of experience is guaranteed 910k as a base salary.

The remaining 3,090,000 could be paid out in some form of signing or roster bonus.

If that were to happen and it's a 2 year deal that 3,090,000 can be prorated over the 2 years.

Year 1 Base salary 910k, prorated bonus 1,545,000 cap hit of 2,455,000 cap hit.

Year 2 Base salary 910k, prorated bonus 1,545,000 cap hit of 2,455,000. If he's cut after this season we would eat the 1,545,000 under next year's salary cap.

If he's on the roster week 1, since he's a vested veteran his salary is guaranteed for the year.

This is likely one reason why it's a 2 year deal, just to help with the cap math for the season.

I think a lot of you are reading way too much into that two year deal. It was probably just necessary to get him to come out of retirement. I'd assume most of the money is up front.

If Peyton is healthy going into next season, Collins would be an easy cut to shave a few bucks off the cap.

Maybe the Colts needed to guarantee Colllins $4 million to get him to come out of retirement, and he gets the same amount whether he's here two years or two weeks. If that's the case, I don't like it.

I'd be enthusiastic about Collins coming in like a hired gun for a game or two but to justify the financial commitment in question he'd need to stay on the roster the entire season - if not two. It's a lot of money, and he's way too immobile to survive our O-Lines growing pains - so they'd have to save a roster spot for a younger QB anyway.

More to the point, I never thought that he was all that great in the first place. If he has to play a lot of games we're in trouble. I'd just as soon give Painter a shot. The kid has some skills - if his head ever comes around to join the rest of his body he might surprise a lot of people. (And if he doesn't lead us to the playoffs, at least he'd lead us to a higher draft pick :)).

By the way, you would think that this signing would make Painter a bit angry. Instead of being Peyton's endless understudy, suddenly he's fighting for his career after getting a massive vote of "no confidence". I know what happens to me when I get angry. Maybe tomorrow instead of being hesitant and careless, he just goes :argh: and just starts making plays. "What the heck, got nothing to lose". Could be interesting.

Maybe the Colts needed to guarantee Colllins $4 million to get him to come out of retirement, and he gets the same amount whether he's here two years or two weeks. If that's the case, I don't like it.

I'd be enthusiastic about Collins coming in like a hired gun for a game or two but to justify the financial commitment in question he'd need to stay on the roster the entire season - if not two. It's a lot of money, and he's way too immobile to survive our O-Lines growing pains - so they'd have to save a roster spot for a younger QB anyway.

More to the point, I never thought that he was all that great in the first place. If he has to play a lot of games we're in trouble. I'd just as soon give Painter a shot. The kid has some skills - if his head ever comes around to join the rest of his body he might surprise a lot of people. (And if he doesn't lead us to the playoffs, at least he'd lead us to a higher draft pick :)).

By the way, you would think that this signing would make Painter a bit angry. Instead of being Peyton's endless understudy, suddenly he's fighting for his career after getting a massive vote of "no confidence". I know what happens to me when I get angry. Maybe tomorrow instead of being hesitant and careless, he just goes :argh: and just starts making plays. "What the heck, got nothing to lose". Could be interesting.

Depending on what his actual contract says the cap #'s could range from 2.4 to 4 million based on the 4 million quote being thrown around by the media. If he's on the roster for the first game this season he will be paid his full base salary since he's a vested vet. So while there was a dollar figure that got him off the couch, it's not like it's an insane amount.

He is making 4 mill for this season is the report so far... I hope its wrong

From ESPN: "In order to lure Collins back to the NFL, the Colts will pay him $4 million this season, league sources told Mortensen. The sources also said it is a two-year contract with an unknown total value, but structured, in essence, to be a one-year deal."

This is what I was saying earlier. They paid him enough to get him out of retirement, but probably structured it to be somewhat cap friendly over two years. If we cut him next year we probably get a little cap relief.

The ONLY reason we signed collins this year is because of one reason. After we go 14 and 0...Polian wanted to stick in Collins the last 2 games, so we can go undefeated this time!!! lol Colts go undefeated this year and win the hometown superbowl! :rock:

I like the way you think! Although I'm not too sure I like what was done to that guitar (j/k). Strat or Tele? Can't tell from the picture.

It's a cap move. They sign him over 2 years. Carry him for the entire season (doubt he would come back just to be cut after a few games). Then they cut him next league year. They spread out what he wanted for one year over two years. Smart cap management.

Moss wouldn't sign with us. We tried. He wanted too much money and too many years. It doesn't matter who's throwing to him; his ego is as big as they come. He wanted retirement money.

T.O. has likely spent his money on stupid things, so he wants to keep playing. Too bad he's far too old, and far too damaged from injuries. There's a reason no one is making a move for him right now. No thanks.

@both of you: You don't just "give a guy a shot" in the NFL for the heck of it. That's why there are practices, training camps, coaches, scouts, etc. Those procedures sift through the "trying them out" phase. Anyone who thinks it's a positive thing because it leads to a better draft pick should contract Hepatitis. It's about winning now when the greatest QB in the game is in his final contract. Anything that gives us a better chance to win until said QB can return is the right move to make. Giving Painter another target that he'd fail to connect with is worthless. Giving our plethora of targets a veteran QB who knows how to manage an offense gives us a shot.

Keep in mind, Manning will likely play all 16 games.

I hope you are right.

I still feel better with an experienced QB behind Manning. Even if he is older, he has produced. And in big games.

I have no problem with Painter on a personal level. I don't dislike him in any way. However, has ANYONE seen Painter "move the chains" in ANY game? Regular or preseason? At practice even? I don't recall EVER saying "wow, nice throw Painter" or " nice play Painter". I haven't seen it (that I can remember). Polian/Polian must agree. We haven't seen enough of Orlovsky, maybe management has.

I've been saying we needed a Brunell (Jets) type of back-up with experience in big games and can manage this offense. I think Collins gives us that. He knows the division. I'm sure he's studied our offense and Peyton's play before. I was never really a Collins fan. (live near Penn State) However, they guy (once he matured personally) has produced. He's got descent size and can move the ball around. He can't be much less mobile than Peyton. He'll have weapons if needed, I'm pretty sure he's an improvement over what we have.

I'll be interested in Painter and orlovsky's play tonight against GB. We'll see if Reggie can "will" Painter to greatness. Seriously, tho, I just wanna see completions (more than 2 - 5 yards)and 1st downs. As of yet, I've not seen it. I'm thinkin we get blown out tonight vs GB. Embarassingly blown-out.

Is Collins a bandaid? Yes, kinda. But there aren't many "proven" QBs out there right now. Maybe after cuts but not right now.

The length of the contract means nothing. I would be shocked if Collins was on the team next ear.

@both of you: You don't just "give a guy a shot" in the NFL for the heck of it. That's why there are practices, training camps, coaches, scouts, etc. Those procedures sift through the "trying them out" phase. Anyone who thinks it's a positive thing because it leads to a better draft pick should contract Hepatitis. It's about winning now when the greatest QB in the game is in his final contract.

I had hoped to make it clear that I was talking about giving Painter a shot in the context of a theoretically lost season in which Manning wouldn't be playing enough games to make a difference. I'm ALL for maximizing the balance of Mannings career, but if Manning isn't playing then by definition that is irrelevant, got it? You'd have to wait until next year. So what happens this year?

Collins isn't good enough to take this team anywhere by himself - unless the offensive line takes a huge leap, or the defense suddenly starts dominating.

Painter has been through all the preliminary work that you mention and is still on the team. They obviously see something, and expect more. He can already make throws that Collins can't and is infinitely more mobile - his career could turn tomorrow, you have no idea. In the scenario that I suggested - which wouldn't be pretty regardless - I'd rather give Painter a chance. Even if it failed, I'd rather go 4-12 with Painter and get a nice shiny new toy for Peyton to play with in his final four years, then go 8-8 with Collins.

Your entitled to your opinion, but you think I "should contract Hepatitis". Really? What the heck is wrong with you man. Lighten up.

And by the way, I agree that Manning will likely play all 16 games, but that hardly puts the signing in a better light.

i dont mind the deal- fans ask why not t.o or moss-- well - collins is a colt character, i respect a man who made millions to work in a grocery store, 2 yrs, sure, he deserves to get back to the super bowl again, why not

When did Kerry Collins work in a grocery store?? He was a 1st round draft pick.. 5th overall

I have no problem with Painter on a personal level. I don't dislike him in any way. However, has ANYONE seen Painter "move the chains" in ANY game? Regular or preseason? At practice even? I don't recall EVER saying "wow, nice throw Painter" or " nice play Painter". I haven't seen it (that I can remember). I've been saying we needed a Brunell (Jets) type of back-up with experience in big games and can manage this offense. I think Collins gives us that. He knows the division. I'm sure he's studied our offense and Peyton's play before. I was never really a Collins fan. (live near Penn State) However, they guy (once he matured personally) has produced. He's got descent size and can move the ball around. He can't be much less mobile than Peyton.

I'm suddenly turning into a "Painter apologist" for some reason. Certainly not my goal in life.

Actually I've seen Painter do something good that made me sit up and take notice in just about every game he's played - even in that ridiculous Jets game in which he was thrown to the lions - and I've read repeatedly that he's an ace in practice. By all rights he could have committed Hari Kari on the 50 yard line of the Jets game after that first series, but he went out on the second series and made a brilliant throw pretty deep to the left sideline as if he wasn't phased by anything that had happened. A couple of other good throws as well. And afterward not a single media outlet showed it. They just endlessly repeated the embarrassing stuff. Maybe he wouldn't be such a head case now if not for that circus. I see the talent, apparently so do his team-mates and the Colts management. It gets frustrating watching him make bad decisions and heave easy passes at his receivers feet, but there is something there. A heck of a lot more ability than Sorgi for one thing. Sorgi just aspired to be a game manager but couldn't quite do it. Painter is more like Cutler as far as physical skills. He just needs for the game to slow down in his head. That may come with time.

By the way, I would love to have someone like Brunell instead of Collins. Delhome (who I heard was considered) wouldn't be bad either. I'm sure there are many more. The sad fact, however, is that Collins IS considerably less mobile than Manning, and he holds onto the ball way way too long. The very things that allow Manning to turn a below average o-line into one that gives up the fewest sakes in football are utterly missing from Collin's game and always have been. Check out his career stats. 39 once with Oakland. That's more than 2-3 drives per game killed by his brilliant game management skills. He did better with Tennessee, but the Colts don't have their line. I doubt he's gotten quicker in the ensuing years.

When did Kerry Collins work in a grocery store?? He was a 1st round draft pick.. 5th overall

Confusing him with Kurt Warner perhaps? Actually now if HE would come out of retirement for the Colts......................................

everyone on here wanted a veteran as a backup qb to peyton so this doesnt come as a surprise to me because obviously the colts see what we see and that is what we have at backup qb is terrible. i dont think this anything to do with peyton possibly missing the texans game.