Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Can We Expect From Our D If Manning Cannot Go?

chad72

In recent memory, the few games that Manning struggled in recent memory in the regular season - the 18-14 win over the 49ers in 2009, and the 19-9 win over the Chiefs in 2010, and the 10-6 win vs the Browns on the road in 2008, some examples of what our D can do to help out the O. They can step up more than we are willing to give them credit for. Browns, Bucs - I am sure our D can grind it out with them the first 4 games for 2 wins even if Manning does not play. Not sure about the Texans and Steelers games though.

Home games are the key, with the 12th man, our D can get a few things done even without Manning, IMO. The question is, can we give them close to 20 points consistently without Manning?

Well, I keep hoping that Coyer will learn that giving opponents recievers a 10 yd. cushion constantly is not very effective. I know we don't have man to man type CB's but I think we could tighten up the coverage a little bit. I also want to have high hopes for the D-line, but I do that every yr. and I keep getting dissappointed, hopefully this will be the yr..

Yes the D will have to play a different strategy without Manning. The opponents will not be forced to play from behind. 10 yard cushions will be almost pointless. They better play closer to the line whether in man or zone. Blitz and blitz some more.

Yes the D will have to play a different strategy without Manning. The opponents will not be forced to play from behind. 10 yard cushions will be almost pointless. They better play closer to the line whether in man or zone. Blitz and blitz some more.

I am sure the cushions will be a lot closer, not sure if we will blitz more. The reason the cushions may be closer could be because we may want to find out if we can get a jump on a route to get some defensive points by some of our CBs.

The only cases where we may blitz more is if we are 2 TDs behind with just a quarter to go or something like that. For the most part, it won't be any more than what we saw from Coyer in 2009, Manning or no Manning.

I don't care what extra things the go do as long as someone figures out the way to read a freakin bootleg. If the D is able to break up that bootleg a couple of times it severly limits Houston's O. ( I know you are talking about several games).

Overall, I think we would see a little less of a conservative D. Dungy stated numerous times that his philosophy in Indy was to force teams to have to put together 12-14 play drives without making a mistake because he didn't think teams could do that consistently and because he was confident the Colts O could put up a lot of points.

If you're not sure about the O, then I think you play a bit more aggressive. Not blitzing more (especially not against Schaub and Johnson) but a little bit more combinations of zone and man coverage, a few different formations, and , oh yeah, actually playing defense as if you know the other team is going to try doing the bootleg so it doesn't look like every defender on the team is fooled by it, even when it's the 20th time they did it in the game.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how good our D does in the wake of Manning being unavailable. If our offense can't get some scores (TD's, not FG's)it's all a moot point.

I think our defense is going to be better this season, but I don't see any shutouts, or single digit games in their future...

I kept saying this the whole time during the offseason, this is why the colts went and dipped their foot in free agency. The colts had a plan all along, to get to the superbowl or at least having a good chance of getting there they went and got Harris, Anderson, Sims, and Brayton, all those guys can play and i expect all of them to have a big impact on the colts... just harris being harris will demand attention from the Oline. This season i can truly say im not over exaggerating the colts defense.

I hope we can hold opponents. It's also on our offense to pin the other team deep, even if we can't score. We have a great punter, but our punt coverage needs to improve drastically. We have always had a bend/don't break type of defense. It is imperative that we control the LOS and only give up FGs in the red zone and not TDs. Easier said than done however.

A harder working defense, but it shouldn't make a huge difference if Manning is playing or not.

The effort should always be there. Were talking about strategy, since our usually strategy is dependent on a high scoring offense forcing the opponent to play catch up. Basically deny a TD at all cost even if it means giving up yards and time of possession.

I hope we can hold opponents. It's also on our offense to pin the other team deep, even if we can't score. We have a great punter, but our punt coverage needs to improve drastically. We have always had a bend/don't break type of defense. It is imperative that we control the LOS and only give up FGs in the red zone and not TDs. Easier said than done however.

The problem is bend but don't break defense is counter productive if the offense isn't high scoring. Opponents will be us with FGs.

As I have said before, this defense will take a few games to gel. In response, expect the fan-rage on these forums as the dorks scream for Polian Jr.'s head, along with Caldwell's eyes. The defense won't establish itself right away. Too many new guys learning the system. If we stay healthy on that side of the ball, however, this defense will hum. Expect turnovers, quick 3-and-out's, FG's instead of TD's, etc. Enough to create lots of possessions for Mr. Manning.

The calm heads among us will do our best to herd the wild cattle, but the rage will carry on nonetheless. Eventually they will see just how brilliant the off-season moves have been.

I really don't think this is the same team as years past. The one thing our defense was lacking was a DT that demanded a double team or an eye of attention for many years. We now have Drake "widowmaker" Nevis, Fili, and Tommie Harris. We made changes to make sure Freeney and Mathis are fresh with adding Anderson and Brayton. If they work out who knows. I think we have made the proper moves to help this defense be lights out lol

Its still the same D though almost all the starters will be the same. I don't think there's enough new players to worry about chemistry. IMO.

I think eventually the players the colts signed will get their play time and get more of it when the season starts... ie anderson and brayton i see these guys getting a steady dose in the texans game... the colts do not wanna get gashed like they did last year... and one person i would love to see take bullit's spot is Joe lefeged the guy is a hard hitter and is fast and i gotta say he has moves on punt returns... He is suppose to be starting in betheas spot cause bethea has a small injury issue hopefully he has a good game, rogers should be a good test for him.

We can expect they have to step up moreso than ever before! We've bolstered the D and given everyone plenty of time to settle in. Now they have to make the most of their opportunities! Big pass rush, and serviceable LB/DB play, with improved run D...that's what I'm looking for.

I think eventually the players the colts signed will get their play time and get more of it when the season starts... ie anderson and brayton i see these guys getting a steady dose in the texans game... the colts do not wanna get gashed like they did last year... and one person i would love to see take bullit's spot is Joe lefeged the guy is a hard hitter and is fast and i gotta say he has moves on punt returns... He is suppose to be starting in betheas spot cause bethea has a small injury issue hopefully he has a good game, rogers should be a good test for him.

I missed most of the last game, so im curious about this Lefeged kid. I really didn't notice much of him in the 1st game.