Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Job Mr Powers

Freeupfreeney

I do not understand how to use the ignore function yet but you are motivating me to do my homework. I wondered why you are here but then I figured that it must have something to do with hostility towards the Colts and them "Owning" your football team for many, many years. I know you have been and are hoping for "vengance" but nothing seems to have changed even though we had a poor football team last year. We have always owned the Texans and until this point you have only hope. We have plenty of time to get our new systems down before we face the "This is the year of the Texans". How many years have the Texans.........."this is the year"?

Now.......until then you will be ignored.

Hey, Vance doesn't always post things I want to pin on my wall, but not sure why the angst?

I do not understand how to use the ignore function yet but you are motivating me to do my homework. I wondered why you are here but then I figured that it must have something to do with hostility towards the Colts and them "Owning" your football team for many, many years. I know you have been and are hoping for "vengance" but nothing seems to have changed even though we had a poor football team last year. We have always owned the Texans and until this point you have only hope. We have plenty of time to get our new systems down before we face the "This is the year of the Texans". How many years have the Texans.........."this is the year"?

:facepalm: Not this again. I don't know who put salt in your coffee today, but Vance didn't say anything to warrant such a livid response.

Powers looked good today, also I believe I could be wrong, but Harvin wasn't lined up against Powers every play. I remember a play in the second half he absolutely burned King for a 12 yard pass. Powers did a good job of staying on his man and made some nice plays. Even when Harvin did get the ball, Powers was usually right there for the tackle and it was just a nice play by Harvin/Ponder.

Im not sure an average 4 tackles per game for his career is something to cheer about, I did not rip Powers I simply said the truth, he gives up to many catches and 5 picks in 4 years wont cut it, I think he may bemore suited for the Cover 2 where he can sit back in zone and come up and make the tackle, I can name a Corner or maybe two we gave had thats better (not counting Davis cause we have only seen him two games as a Colt) Nick Harper

Hes a fine cornner you are wrong. we are lucky to have him only knock I have is he needs to stay healthy!

Here is Pro Football Focus on our two corners:

Powerful Performance

Jerraud Powers has had his ups and downs over the past few seasons but he was in excellent form in this game, and earned a +3.8 grade for his play. The corner was thrown at 10 times, and allowed seven receptions, but they went for just 66 yards (33 of which went to Percy Harvin). Powers also broke up a pair of passes and closed well on some plays to blow them up at, or even behind, the line of scrimmage. He earned himself four defensive stops from his nine tackles.

Fellow corner Vontae Davis (+0.8) also had a decent game. He may have allowed a reception on all four targets, but he limited the damage to just 39 yards and also came up quickly to make plays when they happened in front of him. The pair won’t get much easier tests than this, as the Vikings only really threatened with Harvin, but nonetheless they had excellent games and were big parts of the defensive success the Colts were able to have in some drives.

with Vontae Davis only getting 4 passes thrown at him tells me they were avoiding his side or his receiver just weren't getting open. 4 passes thrown your way are premature signs of a young shutdown corner. both had outstanding games though

Powerful Performance

Jerraud Powers has had his ups and downs over the past few seasons but he was in excellent form in this game, and earned a +3.8 grade for his play. The corner was thrown at 10 times, and allowed seven receptions, but they went for just 66 yards (33 of which went to Percy Harvin). Powers also broke up a pair of passes and closed well on some plays to blow them up at, or even behind, the line of scrimmage. He earned himself four defensive stops from his nine tackles.

Fellow corner Vontae Davis (+0.8) also had a decent game. He may have allowed a reception on all four targets, but he limited the damage to just 39 yards and also came up quickly to make plays when they happened in front of him. The pair won’t get much easier tests than this, as the Vikings only really threatened with Harvin, but nonetheless they had excellent games and were big parts of the defensive success the Colts were able to have in some drives.

with Vontae Davis only getting 4 passes thrown at him tells me they were avoiding his side or his receiver just weren't getting open. 4 passes thrown your way are premature signs of a young shutdown corner. both had outstanding games though

whats the link?

and learn how to pick off a pass lol

You can't base everything off of statistics man.. or else you will be severely uninformed.. not to mention sound downright ridiculous when you try to knock Powers because of his 4 tackles per game. Do you know what a cornerbacks job is? Ok, now think very hard about this. If the guy doesn't catch it by him, he wont have to tackle. Which means he did a good job covering his man. He's a very good cover corner, but you cherry pick every little pass he gives up. Also, "his 5 ints in 4 years won't cut it" (Which is actually 3 years since this year barely started). Use your brain again, why does he have so little? Maybe because he's covering his man well. Look at Asomugha's stats throughout his career, very little INTs for the time he's played, but is he a bad CB?, something tells me you think he is. Darelle Revis had a year without an INT, he was still the best CB in the game that year.

Powerful Performance

Thankyou. Read this Gavin!! there are more things about a players game than just statistics. Some things you can't just tally down as stats..

You can't base everything off of statistics man.. or else you will be severely uninformed.. not to mention sound downright ridiculous when you try to knock Powers because of his 4 tackles per game. Do you know what a cornerbacks job is? Ok, now think very hard about this. If the guy doesn't catch it by him, he wont have to tackle. Which means he did a good job covering his man. He's a very good cover corner, but you cherry pick every little pass he gives up. Also, "his 5 ints in 4 years won't cut it" (Which is actually 3 years since this year barely started). Use your brain again, why does he have so little? Maybe because he's covering his man well. Look at Asomugha's stats throughout his career, very little INTs for the time he's played, but is he a bad CB?, something tells me you think he is. Darelle Revis had a year without an INT, he was still the best CB in the game that year.

like I say, I will take a pick or a deflection any day from a Corner over a Tackle, dont get me wrong he a pretty decent tackler but while he is getting them tackles guess what, the defense continues marching right on down the field just so he can get another tackle and then before you know it TOUCHDOWN. we have give up 4 through the air (which is good for 22nd even though I know its still way early)

like I say, I will take a pick or a deflection any day from a Corner over a Tackle, dont get me wrong he a pretty decent tackler but while he is getting them tackles guess what, the defense continues marching right on down the field just so he can get another tackle and then before you know it TOUCHDOWN. we have give up 4 through the air (which is good for 22nd even though I know its still way early)

I didn't know your RCB is your entire defense... It's a team game. He held his own. Others didn't. If they score it's not all on him

https://www.profootb...er-snaps-count/ this is why Im hard on Powers at times, these #'s are of last year

Of course you have to take alot of things into consideration like garbage time, short slants, dump offs where Powers is the only one by the RB therefore making him the coverer. Those things can make a guy look bad even though he played a good game. Ponder had a whopping 101 yards passing IN TH AIR. Everything else was YAC. We rendered him useless in the game because of Powers and Davis good coverage. Ponder had to take short effecient passes to Harvin and his RBs and TE's

I don't know guys, Powers gets a big ole 'meh' from me. Even the link that is giving him praise says he gave up 7/10 and 66 yards. That's not all that impressive, especially against such juggernauts as Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu. I felt he was targeted a lot and gave up a lot of catches. Not something you like to see out of a supposed 'press' corner.

Powerful Performance

Lamey brought this up on the pagano show. The last pass of the game was on Davis and they liked that he tackled him right away and pinned his arms so he couldnt pitch it. That's a smart play.

https://www.profootb...er-snaps-count/ this is why Im hard on Powers at times, these #'s are of last year

The guy played in an extremely SOFT Cover-2 defense in which they were spotting WR's 10 yards last year. Actually, those numbers are from 2 years ago if you look at the date of the article. I don't really know what you expected from the guy in THAT defense. The guy almost had an interception against Chicago defending Brandon Marshall and almost had another pick this week. Yes, he was targeted quite a bit but he held his own and limited everything his way.

Blah blah blah.

I'll take a complete corner over a simple pass defender. Both of our guys do a fairly good job of sniffing out quick screens and that sort of thing. There was a time or two that happened on Sunday, and it generally didn't net much yardage. A completed pass for a loss of 2 yards and a tackle by our corner is a far better outcome than a completed pass that nets a 5-10 yard gain.

And as far as tackles go, there is a pretty often viewed video of one Cromartie who simply steps aside to allow the runner to go buy him, likely out of fear of getting hurt while trying to tackle. I'll take our corners every day of the week over a guy like that:

5kkln4.jpg

You're a pessimistic person, you've proven that over a great deal of your posts here. Not sure why you would follow a team if all you are going to do is nitpick, and not enjoy their successes and progression.

To me, Davis is our #1, or will be as he grows into the system. Powers, IMO, is an ideal #2. If we can keep them both for another 5 years, and if they continue to improve, we should have a very solid secondary.

Over the past few months being on this forum I have recognized Vance's name and he has never brought any hostility towards the Colts. His questions and opinions have been well written. Lets keep the trash talk on gameday and not in the friendly forums.

Okay first off the article says he was targeted 10x and 7 receptions for 66 yards. 1 of those catches though was 33 yds alone. so 6 receptions of 33 yds isn't a bad game; its not great like revis or anything but for a guy who has been playing cover 2 zone his whole career and is learning a new scheme and a new way to play corner it isn't bad.

A poster said "everytime I got an update powers was giving up first downs to marshall, or whomever" my retort would be this: if you have no pass rush, corners are gonnna suffer because they have to cover longer. Considering Marshall is considerably taller and therefore his stride is longer he's gonna get open easier. Not to mention Cutler couild basically throw jump balls.

I swear there are so many people who will thumb there noses at anything this team does its frustrating as heck. Cant you people for once take time to appreciate the contributions these players are making? Good god it must be great to be an arm-chair athlete. So what Powers didn't shut Harvin down like you wanted, or Brown didn't run it better. We freaking one the game and players made contributions to help us win the game. Why can't we as fans appreciate that instead of nit-pick about the things that in your eyes were done wrong.

I for one am applauding Powers as well as every member of the 53-man roster who played their hearts out for the team, to give the colts FANS something to cheer about.

I don't know guys, Powers gets a big ole 'meh' from me. Even the link that is giving him praise says he gave up 7/10 and 66 yards. That's not all that impressive, especially against such juggernauts as Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu. I felt he was targeted a lot and gave up a lot of catches. Not something you like to see out of a supposed 'press' corner.

I just rewatched the game and heres my breakdown of those catches.

First catch is a 7-8 yard slant on 3rd and 6 to Harvin. Caught but contested.

2nd. a 8 yard slant on 3rd and 12 to Jenkins. Caught but contested and 3rd down stop. (win for defense despite catch)

3rd 5 yard hitch to Harvin on 2nd and 4. Powers played to far off (no doubt respecting his speed). Although im sure if you look at the Vikings tendencies you'd see they like to do PA and throw deep to Harvin. Honestly it was probably apart of the gameplan. ponder and harvin where on the same page and picked up the first own, but live to see another down. Drive ended with a sack/fumble by Freeman with Redding recovering it. Btw.

4th 4 yard hook to Jenkings on 1st and ten. Vikings in 2 min offense. Powers once again played deep, not giving up the big play. Makes the tackle without allowing extra yards on a taller receiver. Great play by powers.

(Side note: Even though this is a breakdown of the catches Powers makes a huge and possibly touchdown saving tackle on harvin in the open field, 1-1. on 1st and 20.)

5th. 9 yard hook to jenkins on 2nd 11. Vikings in 2 min offense. Powers played deep, not giving up the big play.

6th. a 6-7 yard hot read to jenkins on 3rd and 2. vikings in 2 min offense. Powers deep once again. Ponder and Jenkins on the same play and pick up a first down. Once again, live to see another down. This was probably the only real negative play of those catches.

Nuff said?

I just rewatched the game and heres my breakdown of those catches.

First catch is a 7-8 yard slant on 3rd and 6 to Harvin. Caught but contested.

2nd. a 8 yard slant on 3rd and 12 to Jenkins. Caught but contested and 3rd down stop. (win for defense despite catch)

3rd 5 yard hitch to Harvin on 2nd and 4. Powers played to far off (no doubt respecting his speed). Although im sure if you look at the Vikings tendencies you'd see they like to do PA and throw deep to Harvin. Honestly it was probably apart of the gameplan. ponder and harvin where on the same page and picked up the first own, but live to see another down. Drive ended with a sack/fumble by Freeman with Redding recovering it. Btw.

4th 4 yard hook to Jenkings on 1st and ten. Vikings in 2 min offense. Powers once again played deep, not giving up the big play. Makes the tackle without allowing extra yards on a taller receiver. Great play by powers.

(Side note: Even though this is a breakdown of the catches Powers makes a huge and possibly touchdown saving tackle on harvin in the open field, 1-1. on 1st and 20.)

5th. 9 yard hook to jenkins on 2nd 11. Vikings in 2 min offense. Powers played deep, not giving up the big play.

6th. a 6-7 yard hot read to jenkins on 3rd and 2. vikings in 2 min offense. Powers deep once again. Ponder and Jenkins on the same play and pick up a first down. Once again, live to see another down. This was probably the only real negative play of those catches.

Nuff said?

Nice breakdown. I seem to have been put in my place. haha

He definitely did his job by the sound of things, but at least early in the game I felt he was being targeted a lot and with success. I really like the guy's personality and work ethic, I've just always felt he wasn't what you'd call a press corner.

I wonder how much Pagano gets into actually coaching now that he is a Head Coach, because I've heard that it is about all you can do to manage the day-to-day drama of being in charge of everything down to interviews, coaches shows, etc. A real grind. Too bad we lose a very good football mind as far as actually coaching the fundementals and intracacies of the game which Pagano has lots of experience with although he was only a minor asst. coach of this nature or that prior to his last year in Baltimore. Maybe they need to clone him. I'm so glad I don't have to hear you-know-who in the post game pressers!!!

I wonder how much Pagano gets into actually coaching now that he is a Head Coach, because I've heard that it is about all you can do to manage the day-to-day drama of being in charge of everything down to interviews, coaches shows, etc. A real grind. Too bad we lose a very good football mind as far as actually coaching the fundementals and intracacies of the game which Pagano has lots of experience with although he was only a minor asst. coach of this nature or that prior to his last year in Baltimore. Maybe they need to clone him. I'm so glad I don't have to hear you-know-who in the post game pressers!!!

From what I'm hearing about his brother, he would be a great coach to have as well. However, I'm thinking he's following the footsteps of Chuck in trying to cement his name as a defined defensive coach and in turn hopefully turn into a head-coach somewhere.

Nice breakdown. I seem to have been put in my place. haha

He definitely did his job by the sound of things, but at least early in the game I felt he was being targeted a lot and with success. I really like the guy's personality and work ethic, I've just always felt he wasn't what you'd call a press corner.

I think we as fans forget, not every team is perfect...or stacked with a prime player at every position. Lakers fans do it all the time, even when they were 3 peating championships...its was always fisher this or horry that...but we shut up when Fisher or Horry hit the game winning shot

There is no team out there that is gonna shut down anybodies passing game...people are going to get hit for slants...just remember, when Dungy was coaching...instead of 7/10 we were looking at 19/20.....run of the mill QB hitting 75% passing and over 100 QB rating because of our soft coverage.

Most corners cant stop a slant route consistently....I think we should be proud of the starting corners efforts

I think we as fans forget, not every team is perfect...or stacked with a prime player at every position. Lakers fans do it all the time, even when they were 3 peating championships...its was always fisher this or horry that...but we shut up when Fisher or Horry hit the game winning shot

There is no team out there that is gonna shut down anybodies passing game...people are going to get hit for slants...just remember, when Dungy was coaching...instead of 7/10 we were looking at 19/20.....run of the mill QB hitting 75% passing and over 100 QB rating because of our soft coverage.

Most corners cant stop a slant route consistently....I think we should be proud of the starting corners efforts

actually the highest completion percentage that was given up in the Dungy era was 68.4 with the lowest completion percentage given up 61.5.

But how many 100+ QB ratings...are you defending the colts D now? You are obviously a troll, and will be ignored by me.

Asking me a question and then ignoring me (for what reason I dont know) is counterproductive isn't it? I dont pay particular attention to QB rating, there does not seem to be a definite mode of determining that, But those QB ratings over those years was as follows.....

2002-86.1 allowed (25th)

2003-81.8 allowed (21st)

2004-89.5 allowed (23rd)

2005-83.0 allowed (23rd)

2006-80.4 allowed (15th) not bad at all in my opinion

2007-73.3 allowed (3rd) great

2008-78.0 allowed (11th) very good

Like I said I dont pay much if any attention to that, I pay attention to completion percentage given and how many yards a catch given up

Powers had 6 pass defensed all last season. He has 4 pass defensed in 2 games already and people doubted him of being able to cover man to man. He is on start to have a great season. and im on the record Vontae Davis or Powers will have an interception Sunday. Book it