Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As I am watching this Packers game

krunk

Yes, but I think it will be a mix of FA's and draftees. You can't use all of your draft picks on lineman if a stud WR or CB is there.

I agree with that 100%. We knew going into this season it was going to be rough. We also could not pass on a stud RB if one comes our way. What I like is Grigson is trying his best to find better players non-stop. This season will be a hard to watch at times with wanting the team to win but then looking ahead for a good draft pick.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also could not pass on a stud RB if one comes our way.

this right here is our 1st!!!! priority!!!

remember when we drafted Peyton and the following year drafted James? This transformed our team.

we need to do the same exact thing again. And I dont mean get average Joe RB's like Addai, I am talking about guys like Faulk and James, elite class RB that can create and have athletic ability to do great even with a horrific O-line.

If you look at Faulk and James rushing stats your head will spin. This was all done with weak and pathetic O-lines thoroughout their tenures with Colts.

It could be done mates.

remember when we drafted Peyton and the following year drafted James? This transformed our team.

we need to do the same exact thing again. And I dont mean get average Joe RB's like Addai, I am talking about guys like Faulk and James, elite class RB that can create and have athletic ability to do great even with a horrific O-line.

If you look at Faulk and James rushing stats your head will spin. This was all done with weak and pathetic O-lines thoroughout their tenures with Colts.

It could be done mates.

far from the truth actually if you look at Edges stats the years he went off for 1000+ yards 5 times as a Colt BUT he got 300 or more carries all 5 of those years and if were really crunching the numbers while he was with the Colts he averaged 4.2 ypc while he was with the Colts so while he was a great Back, he got a ton of carries. Edge averaged a touchdown every 37.8 carries or rounded up 38 carries, Brown has averaged 1 every 31.8 carries as a colt or rounded up 32. cant run the ball if your not getting the ball much. Faulk himself averaged 3.8 ypc as a Colt but a touchdown every 25.3 carries.Its very likely if Brown got the same number of carries that Edge and Marshall got then Brown would shatter some of there Colts records and no doubt he would with better olay from the right side of our O Line

It could be done mates.

A stud running back is a LOW priority. Our line is pathetic. It's not bad, it's abysmal. With a good line, Brown would look like a Pro Bowl RB.

Look at what Rhodes and Addai did when James' line was intact. We ran the ball very effectively. When Polian figured OL was easily replaceable with low-end/UDFA guys, our running game faltered.

I would blame the 2008 PO loss to the Chargers on this. We had a chance to ice the game with one first down. We went with an empty backfield on 3rd down. An empty freakin' backfield!

Our RB gets blown up in the backfield these days. He doesn't fail to hit the hole, he doesn't even get to that part.

I would be livid if we draft a RB early in 2013!

A stud running back is a LOW priority. Our line is pathetic. It's not bad, it's abysmal. With a good line, Brown would look like a Pro Bowl RB.

Look at what Rhodes and Addai did when James' line was intact. We ran the ball very effectively. When Polian figured OL was easily replaceable with low-end/UDFA guys, our running game faltered.

I would blame the 2008 PO loss to the Chargers on this. We had a chance to ice the game with one first down. We went with an empty backfield on 3rd down. An empty freakin' backfield!

Our RB gets blown up in the backfield these days. He doesn't fail to hit the hole, he doesn't even get to that part.

I would be livid if we draft a RB early in 2013!

Completely agree! And the same goes with WR. The guys we have now work fine and once Luck gets a little more time in the pocket they will shine. Build that stone wall of an O-line before anything THEN it will be much easier to see if RB/WR are needed. In which I still don't think it will be then.

I hope our O-Line is better by the time we play GB or Luck will get it just like Cutler got beat up tonight

I don't think Matthews would do that to Costanzo. Costanzo is better than Jamarcus Webb.

Costanzo had a pretty good game against the Bears front, so I think he's up to dealing with Matthews

as well. I also don't think if he did have problems with Matthews that we would be stupid enough to

keep leaving him one on one with no help like the Bears did Webb.

It could be done mates.

It would be funny if Donald Brown goes out and runs for 1500 yards this year. I agree though, I do think we need another quality back to at least go along with Donald Brown. If we get one that's better than him that would be great, but I don't think we need to get rid of him in total. I'm going to let the season play out because I could be wrong, but I just don't think we are going to be able to rely on Ballard too much. He always seems to be a step slow to me, but for now I'm going to let a couple games go by to really see if that is true.

The Bears were dumb for giving Forte a new contract, they had all the leverage, and could have had him for a year before making another decision. He never stays healthy, went out early in this game with a high ankle sprain translation out 2-3 weeks or severely inneffective for about a month. He has never shown to be able to play an entire season. They should have waited.

Webb is having problems with Matthews speed and active hands and outside to inside moves, the reason Webb had little trouble with Freeney was Freeney tried to run right through him or ran himself more often then not out of the play plus it looks as if Green Bay haS timed there blitzes better then we did, often times I felt we gave ours away

We all know Freeney would have done the same thing as Matthews as the game progressed. I don't think there was a big enough sample to see how Freeney would have done because he got injured very early in the game.

Webb is having problems with Matthews speed and active hands and outside to inside moves, the reason Webb had little trouble with Freeney was Freeney tried to run right through him or ran himself more often then not out of the play plus it looks as if Green Bay haS timed there blitzes better then we did, often times I felt we gave ours away

Timing could be better.

far from the truth actually if you look at Edges stats the years he went off for 1000+ yards 5 times as a Colt BUT he got 300 or more carries all 5 of those years and if were really crunching the numbers while he was with the Colts he averaged 4.2 ypc while he was with the Colts so while he was a great Back, he got a ton of carries. Edge averaged a touchdown every 37.8 carries or rounded up 38 carries, Brown has averaged 1 every 31.8 carries as a colt or rounded up 32. cant run the ball if your not getting the ball much. Faulk himself averaged 3.8 ypc as a Colt but a touchdown every 25.3 carries.Its very likely if Brown got the same number of carries that Edge and Marshall got then Brown would shatter some of there Colts records and no doubt he would with better olay from the right side of our O Line

Colt's had one of the best passing attacks in league history when Edge was here, they threw TD's into the end zone not rushing the ball. Edge was the best 4th quarter back I have ever seen. The Colts would get a lead and then when the 4th quarter came he gashed the defense to death and sucked the life out of the clock. He also wasn't a fumbler. Brown has some tools but it doesn't matter if you drop key passes in key situations that effect your teams chances in a game. Both times he dropped passes last week he had his head turned before the ball got there. Even the announcers were incredulous , wondering how he didn't learn his lesson the first pass he dropped, they surely would have scored on that drive before half.

We all know Freeney would have done the same thing as Matthews as the game progressed. I don't think there was a big enough sample to see how Freeney would have done because he got injured very early in the game.

so which is it? Freeney would have done the same thing as Matthews or there wasn't enough sample do to Freeney getting injured? I dont think you realize just how easy it is to avoid Freeney, all you have to do is spot him on the field and run right at him or hrow a screen right over his head, its very simple

Forte played every game his first three seasons and has only missed 4 in his career (4 last year) up till now (Edgerrin James and Addai missed plenty more then 4 games

Don't care, he was injured last year, he has a ton of carries behind him, he is a running back, why give him a long term contract. Oh and by the way, he is injured again.

Aarons Rodgers' stats vs bears: 22 for 32, 219 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT(could've easily been 2 had Briggs not dropped an easy pick that hit him in his chest).

Andrew Luck's stats vs bears: 23 for 45, 309 Yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

Honestly in comparison it doesn't seem so bad. Everyone knew we would lose to the Bears and we put 2 points less than the Packers did against the same defense and we were on the road while Packers were at home. I expect a much better week out of Luck against a weaker D, even though that Viking D-Line scares me with the Swiss cheese O-line we have lol. :omg: .

They may not be as swiss cheese as we think. I think we faced a very good front, and that is why Luck as humble as he is didn't hesitate to defend his O line when they asked him if he thought the protection was bad. He said " No, I think those guys battled their butts off against a very good front." Not that Andrew would have really told us if the line stunk, but I believe his comments are true in that statement. I believe he thought the primary issue was there(bears) front was very good.

I need to watch a couple more games before I slam them all the way myself. Just my opinion

so which is it? Freeney would have done the same thing as Matthews or there wasn't enough sample do to Freeney getting injured? I dont think you realize just how easy it is to avoid Freeney, all you have to do is spot him on the field and run right at him or hrow a screen right over his head, its very simple

What would be the reason to divide the two? It's not a pick one or the other scenario.

You can't say what Freeney would have done in the first place because he only played a couple of series. Everyone one in here knows that. What you do against a tackle evolves as the game goes on. If this set of moves don't work then you try that set of moves against the tackle. The point is he did not play long enough for us to know he wouldn't have done it the same way as Matthews eventually.

Your comment was about the path that Matthews took to get to the qb versus what Freeney did, and my point was to say that we've seen Freeney use that same technique in games as well. Just because you didn't see it from him in the first quarter doesn't mean he wouldn't have gotten to it. All of that was sidetracked by his injury so we never got to find out.

I don't think Matthews would do that to Costanzo. Costanzo is better than Jamarcus Webb.

Costanzo had a pretty good game against the Bears front, so I think he's up to dealing with Matthews

as well. I also don't think if he did have problems with Matthews that we would be stupid enough to

keep leaving him one on one with no help like the Bears did Webb.

Constanzo is highly beatable when Reitz isn't playing next to him. He didn't have that good a game against the Bears either. Reitz is probably the smartest linemen we have, and cleans up a lot of mess caused by Constanzo and Satele. Can't wait to get him back.

Colt's had one of the best passing attacks in league history when Edge was here, they threw TD's into the end zone not rushing the ball. Edge was the best 4th quarter back I have ever seen. The Colts would get a lead and then when the 4th quarter came he gashed the defense to death and sucked the life out of the clock. He also wasn't a fumbler. Brown has some tools but it doesn't matter if you drop key passes in key situations that effect your teams chances in a game. Both times he dropped passes last week he had his head turned before the ball got there. Even the announcers were incredulous , wondering how he didn't learn his lesson the first pass he dropped, they surely would have scored on that drive before half.

James sure was a fumbler, he fumbled 38 times as a Colt (averaged 5.4 a season as a Colt) or to break it down 1 every 33.9 carries or rounded up 34. Brown has 1 fumble back in 2009 (yes I know not nearly as many carries but thats not Browns fault) 1 fumble on 350 carries is great

Constanzo is highly beatable when Reitz isn't playing next to him. He didn't have that good a game against the Bears either. Reitz is probably the smartest linemen we have, and cleans up a lot of mess caused by Constanzo and Satele. Can't wait to get him back.

Did you see Costanzo give up any sacks? All of the rush was coming from the interior courtesy of Seth Olsen, Satele, and who ever else was playing RG that day.

to early to judge but he certainly has that potential with a decent O Line, he is blazing fast, a shifty runner, has some power as we saw on a couple of his runs vs Chicago and can catch the ball out of the backfield and turn it into a huge play (not saying he will reach that potential but its there) yes I know he had two drops vs Chicago but he wasnt the first rb to drop a pass and wont be the last, as long as he dont make a habit of it I see no problem

Are you speaking about the run game or the passing game?

There are instances in games where you can avoid Freeney but I don't think he's as avoidable as you say. If he was that avoidable he wouldn't have had more sacks than Matthews last year, and he(freeney) was playing on a team that couldn't even get off the field last year. Matthews only had 6 sacks last year and he was playing on a team that scored all the time, so he was given plenty of opportunity to rush the passer. Freeney had 8 to 9 sacks in comparison.

If you are speaking about the run game, I agree he needs to be more disciplined against the run no doubt.

If you are saying that Matthews is a great example for how Freeney should play the run then I would say you

are not far off in your assesment.

I realize that Green Bay was pumped, and playing at home, but....

I was in awe how much of a fit the Packers D gave Cutler. If Bears O-line is that bad, but our D couldn't get to Cutler at all after the first few series, how bad is our Defense?!?!!!

Too early to tell.

I saw a pretty good defense against the Bears until Freeney got hurt.

Actually, I was quite amazed at our defense and special teams to start that game.

Then reality set in.....perhaps due to the lack of Freeney.

It was the first game in a new system, against a team now game planning against them.

I'm not going to panic. Time will tell.

James sure was a fumbler, he fumbled 38 times as a Colt (averaged 5.4 a season as a Colt) or to break it down 1 every 33.9 carries or rounded up 34. Brown has 1 fumble back in 2009 (yes I know not nearly as many carries but thats not Browns fault) 1 fumble on 350 carries is great

Most of those fumbles were early career I bet.

I realize that Green Bay was pumped, and playing at home, but....

I was in awe how much of a fit the Packers D gave Cutler. If Bears O-line is that bad, but our D couldn't get to Cutler at all after the first few series, how bad is our Defense?!?!!!

That was my thought as well.

I also noticed that Rodgers threw 1 pick (2 more easy picks that were dropped) against the bears D. Andrew Luck had 3 picks; I think Andrew will come back with a much better game against the Vikes. It will be up to our Run D to step up and make some plays to get some momentum going. Arians needs to call some screen plays and some easy chuck down plays early on to give Luck some quick confidence. The rest will be history...

Too early to tell.

Actually, I was quite amazed at our defense and special teams to start that game.

It was the first game in a new system, against a team now game planning against them.

Too early to tell.

No , fans and the media are already jumping to conclusions, such as the Colts must be horrible because the Packers made the Bears look bad. The Colts are better than they looked against the Bears I believe, and the Bears are better than they showed last night. The Pack was up against it last night, they couldn't go 0-2 at home this early in the year and let the Bears get a 2 game lead .This Vikings game is going to tell a lot on how good our coaching is right now and if they could possibly win more games than we think. The Vikes are an average to below team , even with AP, so they need to beat them at home to make a respectable season possible.

Did you see Costanzo give up any sacks? All of the rush was coming from the interior courtesy of Seth Olsen, Satele, and who ever else was playing RG that day.

He allowed a couple of QB pressures on the edge, if I recall correctly. He still struggles defending against spin moves (which is weird, considering he goes against Freeney in practice) and faster pass rushers generally catch him off guard. He's not horrible but he's hardly someone I'd consider a standout on the line right now. He's still growing as a player, which is fine

No , fans and the media are already jumping to conclusions, such as the Colts must be horrible because the Packers made the Bears look bad. The Colts are better than they looked against the Bears I believe, and the Bears are better than they showed last night. The Pack was up against it last night, they couldn't go 0-2 at home this early in the year and let the Bears get a 2 game lead .This Vikings game is going to tell a lot on how good our coaching is right now and if they could possibly win more games than we think. The Vikes are an average to below team , even with AP, so they need to beat them at home to make a respectable season possible.

Yeah, and if we pummel the Vikings, not only will we not be as bad as the final score of the Bears game, but not as good as we did against the Vikings. Not yet anyway.

To me, even if we lose to the Vikings, yes, I'll be disappointed, but I'm really not looking for an identity/consistency until mid season. That's when I'm hoping to get a feel for who we are.

Then, there's the off season, and next year, and it'll change again, even if only slightly, with new personnel.

Everything and everyone is just too new this year.

I agree with that 100%. We knew going into this season it was going to be rough. We also could not pass on a stud RB if one comes our way. What I like is Grigson is trying his best to find better players non-stop. This season will be a hard to watch at times with wanting the team to win but then looking ahead for a good draft pick.

a stud running back...seriously?? that would be the last position i would fork over money for.

He allowed a couple of QB pressures on the edge, if I recall correctly. He still struggles defending against spin moves (which is weird, considering he goes against Freeney in practice) and faster pass rushers generally catch him off guard. He's not horrible but he's hardly someone I'd consider a standout on the line right now. He's still growing as a player, which is fine

I'm fine with qb pressures, but sacks I have a problem with. He didn't give up any sacks.

I think he will do okay against allen, but he may need a little help at times. I like the way

his performance is trending with that outing against the bears. That was a good front!

I'm fine with qb pressures, but sacks I have a problem with. He didn't give up any sacks.

I think he will do okay against allen, but he may need a little help at times. I like the way

his performance is trending with that outing against the bears. That was a good front!

Well, I have no idea why you'd be ok with QB pressures.... Those usually lead to turnovers and free shots at the QB... but ok. :dunno:

Well, I have no idea why you'd be ok with QB pressures.... Those usually lead to turnovers and free shots at the QB... but ok. :dunno:

If a pressure is all that happened against a defensive line that is really good then I will take that. We will not a play a D line like the bears every week. If Costanzo is playing against Clay Matthews or Jared Allen and that's all you get is a couple pressures I will take that. It's reasonable to think that will happen against the really good ones.

Clay got about 3.5-4 sacks last night. Worthy & Perry got some as well. Urlacher was even quoted as saying "We're not as good as we thought we were". Pulling for the Colts as they're my 2nd team. I know the Lions are in our div but I kinda want them to beat the 49ers as I'm sure the Packers will out do the lions this yr

Don't care, he was injured last year, he has a ton of carries behind him, he is a running back, why give him a long term contract. Oh and by the way, he is injured again.

I kind of agree when it comes to a running back. But Forte is a special player, and a team should think long and hard before just letting a special player leave, even at that position.

If a pressure is all that happened against a defensive line that is really good then I will take that. We will not a play a D line like the bears every week. If Costanzo is playing against Clay Matthews or Jared Allen and that's all you get is a couple pressures I will take that. It's reasonable to think that will happen against the really good ones.

He got okey-doked on a spin move by one of the Bears linebackers, not Peppers. The Bears run a 4-3 which means their linebackers aren't supposed to be the primary pass rushers. Constanzo didn't have a great performance Sunday -- He just stood out the least (in a bad way) as far as how horrible our line looked. I'm not gonna give him kudos for being 'least awful'