Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jamal Williams

Hal

I'm surprised there's been no talk of signing Jamal Williams who was released by Denver in this past March. For anyone who's cloudy, Williams played NT for San Diego and Denver and has been to 3 Pro Bowls. The Broncos released him because they're switching to 4-3 and Williams is more of a situational run stopper.

That said the Colts do need run stop support and Williams' has enough power to collapse the pocket in pass situations so if we can lure him in at a good price I don't see a reason not to sign him. I'm actually just surprised by the fact there's been no talk about bringing him in especially since we've signed Harris, Anderson and Brayton, who are all less proven and less talented than Williams.

You just explained the problem in it's self. They've already brought in Harris, Brayton & Amderson. Perhaps they could still bring in Willams as the Colts cannot ever have to much depth on the DL. He is absolutely giant though, it seems like the Colts prefer smaller faster fellas.

Loved Jamal for years as our NT, but the comment that maybe there isn't much left in the tank is more true than not. He's well past his prime and I'm not sure he would bring much to the Colts, though if he could I think it would be great. Being on a good team might bring back that spark, in his day he was simply amazing.

Why would we get another DT, or in this case a NT. We don't use NT, we use DTs. There's a difference. We already have Moala, Johnson, Nevis, Harris, Foster, maybe Anderson, and now you want to sign Williams... That's too much, plus he's way too expensive. He'll want 4M per year.

If the broncos released him cause they are switching to a 4-3 why should the colts sign him? the tampa 2 is basically a 4-3. Plus the guy is old i dont think he would even be able to beat anybody out... Nevis is really showing alot of good signs.

I'm surprised there's been no talk of signing Jamal Williams who was released by Denver in this past March. For anyone who's cloudy, Williams played NT for San Diego and Denver and has been to 3 Pro Bowls. The Broncos released him because they're switching to 4-3 and Williams is more of a situational run stopper.

That said the Colts do need run stop support and Williams' has enough power to collapse the pocket in pass situations so if we can lure him in at a good price I don't see a reason not to sign him. I'm actually just surprised by the fact there's been no talk about bringing him in especially since we've signed Harris, Anderson and Brayton, who are all less proven and less talented than Williams.

There is a reason why no one has atempted to acquire J. Williams. He has had 2 years of severe knee injuries if I am correct. The once dominant Williams is no longer that player imo. I like what we have done by adding Nevis in the draft. He looks to be a future pro bowler, A half way descent T. Harris is better than what we have had at DT in years, and If Antonio Johnson can stay healthy thing should look up.

Why would we get another DT, or in this case a NT. We don't use NT, we use DTs. There's a difference. We already have Moala, Johnson, Nevis, Harris, Foster, maybe Anderson, and now you want to sign Williams... That's too much, plus he's way too expensive. He'll want 4M per year.

Dude, even when you argue the correct side of something, your reasoning is faulty.

Face it, while the Colts' DT's look to be better, it is not as if the position can't be improved. If they thought Williams could help, they would bring him in. A better reason to pass on this guy is that he is ancient and has been hurt over the last few years.

And please stop talking as if you know how much a player will demand. You have no clue.

Dude, even when you argue the correct side of something, your reasoning is faulty.

Face it, while the Colts' DT's look to be better, it is not as if the position can't be improved. If they thought Williams could help, they would bring him in. A better reason to pass on this guy is that he is ancient and has been hurt over the last few years.

And please stop talking as if you know how much a player will demand. You have no clue.

Well i have some sort of clue, because I look at his salary over the past several years. If he has an expensive salary, then I say he'll want an expensive salary, if he had a cheap one, then I'll say he'll want a cheap one. Obviously, it could change, but unless the guy wants to take a huge paycut or ask for more money, it's not bound to change.

I was also saying that Jamal Williams doesn't fit our system because he's a nose tackle, and we need defensive tackles. A nose tackle = 3-4, and a defensive tackle = 4-3.

Sure, my reasoning is somewhat faulty, but what I just said here is not to hard to understand, is it?

Well i have some sort of clue, because I look at his salary over the past several years. If he has an expensive salary, then I say he'll want an expensive salary, if he had a cheap one, then I'll say he'll want a cheap one. Obviously, it could change, but unless the guy wants to take a huge paycut or ask for more money, it's not bound to change.

I was also saying that Jamal Williams doesn't fit our system because he's a nose tackle, and we need defensive tackles. A nose tackle = 3-4, and a defensive tackle = 4-3.

Sure, my reasoning is somewhat faulty, but what I just said here is not to hard to understand, is it?

That's not quite true. 4-3 teams use both nose tackles (NT's) and undertackles (UT's). In the Tampa-2, the NT is responsible for taking on double teams so that the UT can shoot the gap. Booger McFarland is the prototypical Tampa 2 nose tackle. Antonio Johnson is our only current prototypical NT, essentially everyone else is an UT.

So, yes... we use NT's. We just don't use the monstrous 350lb blimps that the 3-4 teams use, which I think was what you were really getting at.

That's not quite true. 4-3 teams use both nose tackles (NT's) and undertackles (UT's). In the Tampa-2, the NT is responsible for taking on double teams so that the UT can shoot the gap. Booger McFarland is the prototypical Tampa 2 nose tackle. Antonio Johnson is our only current prototypical NT, essentially everyone else is an UT.

So, yes... we use NT's. We just don't use the monstrous 350lb blimps that the 3-4 teams use, which I think was what you were really getting at.

Rico is 315lbs and can play either the nose or the UT.

Frankly I think the DT play has improved and we probably already too many bodies as it is. It's also probably too late in camp for him to pick up for the Colts system and for the Colts to get a true read on if he'll do us any good or not. We are already behind the 8 ball with Harris in the regard. It takes time even for vets to pick up a system, when we got Booger in the middle of the season in 2006 he said it took till the playoffs for Booger to feel completely confortable in our defense. So I am not sure adding Williams right now is a great move. Maybe it's something we would look at if we got into the season and our DT play is like in 2006 pre-Booger but I am not counting on that. I really think our DTs have played very well this pre-season and are going to be solid, not great but solid once the season roles around.

Good to know... and yes that's what I was getting at

My point on salaries is that players nearing the end of their career are faced with 2 options - retire or play at the team mandated salary. In those instances, the team has the leverage. So it really makes no difference what they guy made previously. If he wants to play, it will be at the salary of the team's choosing. In the Colts case, look at the team friendly deal that Harris signed with Indy and Sanders signed with the Bolts.