Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne Does Not Approve Of Signing

HitStick21

"We don't even know him, we ain't vanilla, man, we ain't no simple offense," receiver Reggie Wayne said. "So for him to can come in here and be the starter, I don't see it. I think that's a step back."

"Who says Kerry's going to be the starter?" Wayne said. "Just because we bring him in doesn't mean he's the starter. He's got to learn too, right? Unless they gave him a playbook months ago, he's got to learn to.

"I don't care who you are, I mean I'm not going to let anyone just come in here and just push someone (like Painter) aside like you're that dog now, you know what I mean?" Wayne added.

Sounds like Reggie supports Painter through all of his struggles and I believe this is what Painter needs to see himself and hear to know some leaders have his back despite the signing. Maybe it will light a fire or maybe he will continue to fall apart in actual games. Nice to see a leader fired up about the situation though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the "Three things to watch for.." segment with Caldwell when talking about the starters' playing time he mentioned Painter being out there with the starters. And the beginning of the segment was talking about the Collins signing. So, at least from a coaching stand point they are not handing the job to Collins.

Don't even know what to say about this. Dude makes Rex Grossman look like a pro bowler. How can you defend that? Its a business, just because you personally like the guy isn't reason to think he should be our backup. He sucks plain and simple.

My guess based on the response mostly the second one Reggie was being a good teammate when someone probably asked what do you think about Kerry Collins being the starter if Peyton can't go? He was just standing up for Curtis Painter which is what all teammate will do they aren't going to throw anyone they play with under the bus or the media will make that into a huge story about what a jerk they are.

Don't even know what to say about this. Dude makes Rex Grossman look like a pro bowler. How can you defend that? Its a business, just because you personally like the guy isn't reason to think he should be our backup. He sucks plain and simple.

I think wayne would have chosen his words more carefully if he thought painter sucked... That being said i expect painter to be looking waynes way alot in the packers game.

The only problem I have with the situation is that: why did the Colts sign him so late??

exactly the same problem i have, and by the sounds of it, the same problem reggie has.

if Peyton isnt ready to go, are they really going to hand over a no-huddle offense to a guy who has been in the building a whole 2 weeks and expect any kind of success? so instead of losing by 30 with Curtis, we lose by 15 anyway with Kerry?

great signing in the long run, I am a fan of Kerry, but the timing couldn't be any worse. Like I said in the other thread though, this whole thing could be another deception. #18 runs out of the tunnel and puts on an amazing week 1 performance. we all breathe a sigh of relief.

If the Colts do explain why they waited till now, I don't want to hear about the lockout. I don't care you don't just cross your fingers and hope Manning is ready, and then also just hope Painter had improved. Colts should have been more proactive, no excuses.

But Collins is a wise old sage so hopefully he picks up most of the offense in 2 weeks.

Since they made, what looks like a desperation move, I don't think Manning will be ready. I think he will be gone between 1-4 games.

Im oddly optimistic though. I've always been curious about how well the Colts could play with just a decent game manager QB. I think they will surprise people because the average football fan thinks all we have is Manning. That's bull man, Colts are not as well rounded as the early 2000s Pats but the Colts have many weapons.

Colts just need a capable QB if Manning can go, just like any other team needs a decent back up if their stater is hurt.

Can you tell im sick of hearing the Colts are a sub. 500 team without Manning?

Correction.

Colts are a sub. 500 team with Painter! He isn't ready.

"I don't care who you are, I mean I'm not going to let anyone just come in here and just push someone (like Painter) aside like you're that dog now, you know what I mean?" Wayne added.

Really? Is wayne making the personel decisions now? Im sure Collins has some work to do and im guessing Painter still starts the game friday, but it sure won't last any longer than that.

If the Colts do explain why they waited till now, I don't want to hear about the lockout. I don't care you don't just cross your fingers and hope Manning is ready, and then also just hope Painter had improved. Colts should have been more proactive, no excuses.

But Collins is a wise old sage so hopefully he picks up most of the offense in 2 weeks.

Since they made, what looks like a desperation move, I don't think Manning will be ready. I think he will be gone between 1-4 games.

Im oddly optimistic though. I've always been curious about how well the Colts could play with just a decent game manager QB. I think they will surprise people because the average football fan thinks all we have is Manning. That's bull man, Colts are not as well rounded as the early 2000s Pats but the Colts have many weapons.

Colts just need a capable QB if Manning can go, just like any other team needs a decent back up if their stater is hurt.

Correction.

Agreed, although any more than missing week 1 and people are going to start demanding answers. He needed 6-8 weeks from May. If he wasn't good to go until week 4 this year from today, we are looking at almost 7 weeks! That is the initial timetable like he JUST went under the knife. Makes you wonder what all is really going on (What setback was there?).

Correction.

I definitely agree with this right here, Ive always been curious how they would handle the situation. The colts are gonna surprise some ppl especially the defense i think.

I think he is just being a good teammate. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Collins is better than Painter, but how will it look if Reggie says that, then the Colts release Collins and keep Painter (which is most likely to happen)? People will be going crazy saying that the Colts locker room is dysfunctional and that the offense doesn't support each other and all that kind of stuff.

I think he is just being a good teammate. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Collins is better than Painter, but how will it look if Reggie says that, then the Colts release Collins and keep Painter (which is most likely to happen)? People will be going crazy saying that the Colts locker room is dysfunctional and that the offense doesn't support each other and all that kind of stuff.

QFT! How anybody can think he was being anything more then a good teammate is just looking for something to bash.

He probably was asked about this and instead of throwing Painter to the wolves he defended him like a good teammate.

As a teammate you may think Painter sucks, but you do not go out to the media and say he does. You defend your teammate and let the coaches make the right decision.

But i am sorry what is Reggie Smoking at the time of the interview. I know he is trying to defend Painter but we all see it. Painter is not worth it. IT been 3 years since he been a colt and he just does not get it. He has no freaking clue how to run this offense. It either shows the he is lazy or just does not get it. I am surprised the colts drafted him in the first place i am a Norta Dame fan and he sucked at Purdue too.

no offense to anyone, i don't give a "hoot" (family friendly PG), what Wayne has to say. If he truly believes this he is a "dumbo", I am sorry but... Painter can't carry an offense and Collins has been a two time pro bowler. i think he should shut his mouth and play, idk about being a good teammate, just shut your mouth and play with whose the best.

I think the late signing was a mix of things. Unfortunately one of those things is potentially Peyton not healing as well as they thought he would. If that is the case, then who knows when he will really be back. Remember, it was only supposed to be around 6 weeks healing time. Another factor was probably Painter not coming along as well as they wanted. Polian expects the biggest leap in ability to come after the rookie year. I know some don't want to hear about the lockout, but without OTA's and other activities the Colts didn't have an opportunity to see how Painter was progressing.

I for one believe that Reggie is in full support of Painter. If he wasn't then he would of made a more general vanilla type statement saying something along the lines of the decision being what the staff thought was best and that he has to be ready to play no matter who is in.

And for those that think Kerry Collins is our savior you are quite delusional. Our line and run game, while improved, are not strong enough to carry him. Without a run game his performance is quite mediocre at best.

Correction.

I do believe the colts thought painter would improve, but that didn't happen. Other than that I totally agree ! Getting a quality back up QB should've been addressed long b4 now .

no offense to anyone, i don't give a "hoot" (family friendly PG), what Wayne has to say. If he truly believes this he is a "dumbo", I am sorry but... Painter can't carry an offense and Collins has been a two time pro bowler. i think he should shut his mouth and play, idk about being a good teammate, just shut your mouth and play with whose the best.

We'll see if collins is better, he'll have time to prove himself after the packers game.

Only a team leader like Reggie Wayne stands behind his guy like this. It's what I'd expect. Thing is....he didn't slam the door on Collins. In fact, he left it open but made it clear he's got to earn his way. That's perfect. That's what you do when you guard. The Colts are fortunate to have Reggie. There's not much more to be said on this.

I think the late signing was a mix of things. Unfortunately one of those things is potentially Peyton not healing as well as they thought he would. If that is the case, then who knows when he will really be back. Remember, it was only supposed to be around 6 weeks healing time. Another factor was probably Painter not coming along as well as they wanted. Polian expects the biggest leap in ability to come after the rookie year. I know some don't want to hear about the lockout, but without OTA's and other activities the Colts didn't have an opportunity to see how Painter was progressing.

Hey Painter has been on the roster for 3 years so he's had time to learn something to make the coaches think he can carry the team until Peyton is released to play. He hasn't played in games but he has had snaps at 3 training camps and he can't carry this team. They tried and it's not working. If he had the job all year I'm not sure you would see a different player. Maybe he will show everyone Friday night but I'm not betting on it.

it's a bit desperate. Collins has lost almost all the skills that got him to the pro bowl those couple years. Speed=non-existent, Arm=weak (he has lost 5 miles per hour off his fastball )(so to say). Mental=his brain capacity at his age has retracting synapse. Polian=have you lost your mind?

it's a bit desperate. Collins has lost almost all the skills that got him to the pro bowl those couple years. Speed=non-existent, Arm=weak (he has lost 5 miles per hour off his fastball )(so to say). Mental=his brain capacity at his age has lost capacity. Polian=have you lost your mind?

Let me ask you this question, who would you rather have out there facing the Texans week 1 if Manning were not able to go? Collins or Painter?

Let me ask you this question, who would you rather have out there facing the Texans week 1 if Manning were not able to go? Collins or Painter?

Looks as though he would rather have Painter so maybe he has lost his mind. Oh well I'm ok with the signing after what we have seen in the first 2 games and not always against starters. I feel more comfortable if Peyton can't go game 1 or whatever at least we should have a chance. With Painter I don't think we stood a chance at all. Can't win a game with FG.If Painter could get us close enough for that. JMO of course.

Curtis Painter is going to flop, per usual, vs. Green Bay and the team will be looking at Collins as the most viable solution at this point in time to possibly playing without Manning in Week 1. With Collins, at least we get experience and leadership - things Painter does not possess. He's going to make better decisions than Painter out there & I'm quite sure he could pick up on at least a portion of the playbook fast enough to keep us in a game/not blow it. I like the odds a heck of a lot better than Painter at the helm. The chance taken on a proven and trusted veteran is better than one we'd take on a guy that can't get it done. At the end of the season even if this boils down to winning just one game without Manning, could be the difference between a playoff berth and staying home. The 2 or 3M we're probably paying him would be pennies on the dollar vs. a much more costly 500K Painter blunder.

QFT! How anybody can think he was being anything more then a good teammate is just looking for something to bash.

He probably was asked about this and instead of throwing Painter to the wolves he defended him like a good teammate.

As a teammate you may think Painter sucks, but you do not go out to the media and say he does. You defend your teammate and let the coaches make the right decision.

Or, if you're REALLY smart, you pull off a James Harrison...

Great way to greet a new teammate, Reggie. I'm not a huge fan of Kerry Collins by any stretch, but Collins was very humble about becoming a Colt and being on the same team as Peyton and about the Colt's organization in general. I think that same kind of respect should have been given him.

I totally disagree with some of the others posting that we can win games without Peyton. I personally don't see us winning any games without him. I think he's that important to this team. I can't think of any other player in the NFL that I'd say that about.

I don't want to have this post sound completely negative, but I also feel that we really need to upgrade at head coach. I know that Jim Caldwell has a good winning percentage. That's entirely due to having the greatest quarterback of all time on our team. There are many available head coaches that could put us over the top and we're pretending that Caldwell is not a problem. He's a gigantic problem and I'm not sure that we can overcome that.

I love the Colts and there's not a bigger Peyton Manning fan on the planet. I want him to get more Superbowl rings to shut up all the haters that bring up that he only has the one ring. He, as well as all the rest of our team, deserves to have the best available coaching staff possible.

Go Colts!!!!!!!!

what reggie doesn't get is ITS ABOUT THE TEAM! colts are about players that make plays and keep there mouths shut. reggie has been very vocal about every decision thats made that he doesnt like. i love reggie dont get me wrong. he just has to realize he aint IRSAY & THE PO-PO's. its for the better of the team. the dude throws a hissy fit everytime he doesnt like something.love you reggie, just stick to your job of catching the ball,not being the team debby downer