Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signing Of Collins = Bye Bye Painter

Andy

I think that the signing of Collins means that Curtis Painter will be cut, along with Orlovsky. Why keep 3 quarterbacks knowing that one of them is terrible QB. Collins is the ideal backup on most teams, and the Colts are one of those teams. He is one of few quarterbacks I would have wanted to have, if we had to sign a QB. I really like him, and i think we'll be seeing Painter leave soon. What do you guys think??

Even with Collins they Colts will probably keep Painter. We aren't going to go into the season opener with only Manning and Collins on the roster due to injury concerns. We aren't going to keep Orvlosky or Hartline over Painter till they end up a head of him on the depth chart.

Even with Collins they Colts will probably keep Painter. We aren't going to go into the season opener with only Manning and Collins on the roster due to injury concerns. We aren't going to keep Orvlosky or Hartline over Painter till they end up a head of him on the depth chart.

But Collins is the backup meaning he won't play unless Manning get's injured and the odds of that are slim. If Manning misses the 1st game (let's hope not), Collins only plays for that one game, and the odds of him getting injured are also unlikely. We should keep 2 QBs going into the season, so that we could keep some space open on the roster for backups and players we need.

But Collins is the backup meaning he won't play unless Manning get's injured and the odds of that are slim. If Manning misses the 1st game (let's hope not), Collins only plays for that one game, and the odds of him getting injured are also unlikely. We should keep 2 QBs going into the season, so that we could keep some space open on the roster for backups and players we need.

And given Manning's current health status the Colts are clearly concerned about him or we wouldn't have signed Collins in the first place. The Colts have already said they were leaning towards keeping three QBs because of Manning's status. Also if Manning is a no go week one we aren't going into the roster with only ONE QB on the roster. Sorry Painter is going to be a Colt as much as I hate to say that.

I say we cut painter after other teams release some of their QB's. Surely there's better talent out there that other teams won't want then what Painter has showed us. I'm sorry but the dude its not worthy of wearing any NFL uniform. I don't even believe he could play in the CFL or Arena League.

Well, folks, i am worried now that our titanium tough Manning will not play against the Texans. Now here is a thought.. for Manning to keep his record going, why can't he suit up, go out for a few run plays, then let Collins take over. I see no reason he cannot do this to keep the record going and if he's not 100%, at least we now have Collins.

If Collins can pick up the system quick enough I would start him in games 1 and 2 and look to have Peyton back for game 3 vs. the Steelers. I think while the Texan game would be a tough win, even with Collins at QB the Colts can take Cleveland at home in week two. With Peyton playing in those 2 at not 100% and not in game shape we could lose both. Forget the streak, if Collins is ready he goes in Houston and at home vs. Browns and Peyton takes over in week 3.

Well, folks, i am worried now that our titanium tough Manning will not play against the Texans. Now here is a thought.. for Manning to keep his record going, why can't he suit up, go out for a few run plays, then let Collins take over. I see no reason he cannot do this to keep the record going and if he's not 100%, at least we now have Collins.

Sounds like a plan to me. :applause:

Someone needs to remember the streak means nothing, and the goal is the SB.

I've been tossing that idea around in my head ever since they reported that Manning might be in jeopardy of his Iron Man streak. Just let him hand the ball off to Addai for one play.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong; but wouldn't Peyton still have to cleared by the doctors? Whether or not he starts for a few plays may not be his decision to make.

I think we will keep three QBs until Peyton has proven he is back to 100%. After that point, I am fine with cutting our 3rd QB and moving someone up through the practice squad. If, by some chance, Peyton does not play we can't have only 1 QB. A 38 year old QB with rookie offensive linemen on top of that.

Yeah...I agree with this statement pretty much. Colts probably keep Painter around, he knows the system although he can't properly convey that knowledge on the field during game time presently. Nevertheless, I don't believe that the Colts have completely given up on him yet.

Maybe it means nothing to you. But for all Manning has done for this organization they should let him continue his record. That's the right thing to do.

No it's not and first off Peyton wouldn't do it, the streak would then be "tarnished" so it's not even an option and second the objective should be to win and you don't do games for streaks, numbers and such for players unless the games mean nothing.

Not to mention the guy is not even as mobile as peyton... and peyton isnt even a mobile QB. The guy would get dessimated if he has the lines of the colts from last year.... There was an article that said he isnt scared to turn it over or take a sack if he sees nothing..... No thank you.

Peyton's problem is nerve related. From all I've read, no amount of rehab can make nerves regenerate any faster. The good thing about his injury is that once the nerves regenerate it's not very likely that they would be reinjured. I still think the Colts organization got caught with it's pants down. They should have been more prepared to play without Peyton by having a more capable backup QB and a better offensive line.

No it's not and first off Peyton wouldn't do it, the streak would then be "tarnished" so it's not even an option and second the objective should be to win and you don't do games for streaks, numbers and such for players unless the games mean nothing.

Really, so you've heard Manning say that then? And you must also be a close personal friend of his then..

its YOUR OPINION, not fact. I don't agree it would "tarnish" his streak. If anything it would show how important it is to him.

Everything everyone is saying is pure speculation. Unless you are Manning posting in disguise or his rehab team, everything said is speculation on wither or not he will play or at what stage he is at on his rehab.

Tarnished? How so? How many games has he sat out because we already earned our playoff spot? That's no different.

Really, so you've heard Manning say that then? And you must also be a close personal friend of his then..

its YOUR OPINION, not fact. I don't agree it would "tarnish" his streak. If anything it would show how important it is to him.

Everything everyone is saying is pure speculation. Unless you are Manning posting in disguise or his rehab team, everything said is speculation on wither or not he will play or at what stage he is at on his rehab.

Yes it's his opinion but it's a very logical one to draw based on what we know about Peyton Manning, I don't see him taking a start just to keep the streak alive. It doesn't fit with anything else Manning has done in his career. He'll start if he can play if can't play he wont start. Also it would very much tarnish his streak, people outside of Indianapolis would rip him a new one of over it.

Painter is not as bad as everyone posts... he hasn't practiced with the starters until camp.. no games with the starters... it's rough out there and with the fans not even giving you a fair chance? Show him a little love over the next few weeks and see what happens... I was at the skins game.... the boo's were crazy... that doesn't help anything..

Painter is not as bad as everyone posts... he hasn't practiced with the starters until camp.. no games with the starters... it's rough out there and with the fans not even giving you a fair chance? Show him a little love over the next few weeks and see what happens... I was at the skins game.... the boo's were crazy... that doesn't help anything..

He may not practice with starters, but he doesn't play against starters in the preseason, except for the past 2 games...

Collins is insurance. That's it. Painter won't be going anywhere. We aren't going to give a permanent roster spot to a 16 year veteran back up.

Are you trying to say they just signed Collins to finish out the preseason. Yeah, I don't think so! Painter's not getting cut, but Collins will be here this season at least until they are sure Manning is absolutely, unquestionably 100% healthy.

Collins is a far more logical choice as a short term solution than any other name suggested. I would not, however, assume that this represents a change in philosophy. It would make more sense to conclude that Collins is here to replace Peyton, not Painter - which means that it is entirely possible that Collins will be retired again in the not too distance future (when Peyton is 100% and the roster spot is needed for another position).

I am one of those who thinks Painter is worth hanging onto. He demonstrates plenty of skills, it's just that the game moves too fast for him. I assume that the Colts think that he can get past this problem. The second he does he becomes a considerably more valuable backup than an utterly immobile 38 year old with a career QB rating of 73.9.

I had the misfortune of hearing Collins hyped daily when he played with the Giants. Barely an average QB then - somehow I doubt that he's improved much. And considering the unpredictability of the offensive line, a fourth QB on the practice squad might not be a bad idea. Painter isn't going anywhere.

It is amusing to hear people crucifying Painter and calling for Sorgi to be brought back. I seem to recall him being detested just as vehemently back in the day.

I think Collins will still be released before the season starts. I see us going with Manning and Painter at QB for the season.

That makes absolutely no sense unless Manning is 100% healthy by then. Why bring in a guy just to play meaningless preseason games that the Colts don't care about to begin with. Besides that, im sure Polian has already said were keeping 3 QB's this yr..

I have to agree. As much as i dislike Painter and his lack of talent, he is gonna stay. I like the idea of a vet QB to back up Peyton, hopefully that means Painter will drop to #rd option. I say welcome to Kerry. I just hope it pans outin the teams best interest.

That makes absolutely no sense unless Manning is 100% healthy by then. Why bring in a guy just to play meaningless preseason games that the Colts don't care about to begin with. Besides that, im sure Polian has already said were keeping 3 QB's this yr..

Did Polian say they were keeping 3 QBs this year? I never heard that. They could be bringing him in because he is much better than Painter, so when they start to wrap up training camp, he will be a more realistic QB for the offense to have and the defense to play against.

Tarnished? How so? How many games has he sat out because we already earned our playoff spot? That's no different.

Yes it absolutely would tarnish the streak. The whole point of the ironman streak of consecutive starts is how durable and free from injury Manning has been so far in his career. Having him suit up and play for just one play when he is physically unable to play the entire game WOULD tarnish the streak of consecutive starts. The difference between this and the late season games where playoffs have already been decided is that in those games, Manning could have played the entire game if he had been needed. He was physically able to play in those games, but due to the circumstances the coaches decided he wasn't needed in those games so he sat out.

Imagine for a minute that your boss decided to have a contest to reward the person who goes the longest without having to take a sick day. One of your co-workers is very sick, but trying to win the contest he comes in to work to clock in and then clock out and tries to say that since he was there long enough to clock in and out that his streak should continue. Would you not have a problem with that? Do you think your boss would accept that rationale and allow that person's streak to continue?

He may not practice with starters, but he doesn't play against starters in the preseason, except for the past 2 games...

Um, what? Unless my calculations are off, there have only been 2 preseason games so far. ;)

Painter stays. Collins has to learn the offense, he is older and not as quick. Painter will never be Manning so don't expect it. Last I counted there are eleven men on each side of the ball and they each have to do their job. Another team might be the best thing for Painter, as I doubt that he will ever get past the Indy fans.