Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pending where u live Sports Illustrated cover will be Peyton or RG3 (merge)

bayone

I hate the split covers. Why they assume that this story will be lost on me, but that I'll be endlessly fascinated by Griffin is beyond me. The debut of a kid who (despite the hallucinations of advertisers) is primarily prompting slobbering enthusiasm from people in DC, compared to the LONG awaited return of a legend who holds the respect of millions around the world.

Which covers are they offering in Indy? Not exactly the "west", but come on.

I hate the split covers. Why they assume that this story will be lost on me, but that I'll be endlessly fascinated by Griffin is beyond me. The debut of a kid who (despite the hallucinations of advertisers) is primarily prompting slobbering enthusiasm from people in DC, compared to the LONG awaited return of a legend who holds the respect of millions around the world.

I'm in Charlotte, so I'm sure that the cover at our Barnes & Noble will be RG3, since NC used to be Redskins country pre Panthers. Some still pull for them over the Panthers..

I'm not a fan of the split covers either, or if you really want to do that then divided... Half Manning/Half RG3 in this particular case.

Retailers should receive a split of 70-30 or 80-20 or something along those lines, and in cases like this,Texas should receive RG3, Indy should receive Manning, but that might be asking too much.

I am wondering which will be in Detroit area & fearful I already know

I'm in Charlotte, so I'm sure that the cover at our Barnes & Noble will be RG3, since NC used to be Redskins country pre Panthers. Some still pull for them over the Panthers..

I'm not a fan of the split covers either, or if you really want to do that then divided... Half Manning/Half RG3 in this particular case.

Retailers should receive a split of 70-30 or 80-20 or something along those lines, and in cases like this,Texas should receive RG3, Indy should receive Manning, but that might be asking too much.

Exactly. And I'm in NJ, far enough from DC/Balt that my being a Colts fan up here was always an oddity (until their recent run). If I was a Seahawks fan would have been no more eyebrow raising. And DC is an arch rival two local teams, and Balt was a rival at one time or another of all three local teams, not to mention DC / Balt were rivals of each other. In short, the thought that a Griffin cover will be better received here than a Manning cover simple because we are all on the east coast is just nonsense.

I was momentarily intrigued by your talk of further regional splits, but it occurs to me that that largely serves to make SI more of a regional magazine. The entire reason for it's existence is to provide a national perspective for sports fans who are serious enough to be curious about everything. I don't know if the ability to do splits is an example of technology enhancing the medium, or an example of desperation in a dying medium.

Called Si, Indy will get RG3

I am told u can buy a single issue & chose the Manning up one for $ 5

1-800-274-6800 on sept 17th back issue department & ask for single order dept , u have to wait till then as though it hits newsstands tomorrow , its dated the 17th and u have to order via the back order dept so must first wait till becomes an old issue

Of note also on the cover if u enlarge, the first headline under Manning up is REDSKINS POWER SURG3

Exactly. And I'm in NJ, far enough from DC/Balt that my being a Colts fan up here was always an oddity (until their recent run). If I was a Seahawks fan would have been no more eyebrow raising. And DC is an arch rival two local teams, and Balt was a rival at one time or another of all three local teams, not to mention DC / Balt were rivals of each other. In short, the thought that a Griffin cover will be better received here than a Manning cover simple because we are all on the east coast is just nonsense.

I was momentarily intrigued by your talk of further regional splits, but it occurs to me that that largely serves to make SI more of a regional magazine. The entire reason for it's existence is to provide a national perspective for sports fans who are serious enough to be curious about everything. I don't know if the ability to do splits is an example of technology enhancing the medium, or an example of desperation in a dying medium.

I guess it would be different if they did a split cover each week. To my knowledge they don't.

Most if not all of the preseason magazines have regional covers, while I fully understand the concept, I always detested getting stuck with Atlanta Braves covers for the baseball magazines. Of course if I lived in Atlanta and had season tickets, I'd own 29 other hats to wear on game days.

I was mostly talking about have the orders split. Say if my local Barnes & Noble gets 15 issues per week, give them a 10-5 split, but I guess the cost of doing that would be counterproductive to the bottom line.

I guess it would be different if they did a split cover each week. To my knowledge they don't.

Most if not all of the preseason magazines have regional covers, while I fully understand the concept, I always detested getting stuck with Atlanta Braves covers for the baseball magazines. Of course if I lived in Atlanta and had season tickets, I'd own 29 other hats to wear on game days.

I was mostly talking about have the orders split. Say if my local Barnes & Noble gets 15 issues per week, give them a 10-5 split, but I guess the cost of doing that would be counterproductive to the bottom line.

I'm a Mets fan, so endless Braves covers wouldn't thrill me either.

Yes, I would imagine that that splitting issues within stores would increase their distribution costs substantially. If it resulted in a dramatic increase in sales, great, but that seems unlikely.

Yay, I'm getting the right cover! And Colts game for being in the Bay Area. Best of both worlds!

And check this out. I talked with my mama in law last night. Denver is going crazy for Peyton:

http://www.sportress...n-colorado-pic/

I have to start listening to Denver sports radio again - I'm curious as to whether the tone of the phone calls has changed. I'm sure that the Tebow-heads are still there, but there is less for them to say with each week that passes. The rest of Denver has now been reminded what an actual quarterback looks like. What Bronco fan in their right mind would long for Tebow now.

I'm a Mets fan, so endless Braves covers wouldn't thrill me either.

Yes, I would imagine that that splitting issues within stores would increase their distribution costs substantially. If it resulted in a dramatic increase in sales, great, but that seems unlikely.

I pulled for the Mets for a period of time... The Piazza era... Haven't been a huge baseball fan since he retired.

I guess if they set it up on a national basis that each store received the same split each week, it wouldn't be a huge cost, maybe a slight initial investment, but using the same 10-5 split of 15 issues, if they received the same split each week, whether the covers were Manning/RG3, or Jeter/Chipper Jones, then I could see it working a little more efficiently.

The concept of one cover was a good thing too.

I'm still somewhat surprised the Sporting News stopped with a weekly and preview editions. Like you said, a dying media.

SI_Cover_large.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5432635/SI_Cover_large.jpg

1-800-274-6800 on sept 17th back issue department & ask for single order dept , u have to wait till then as though it hits newsstands tomorrow , its dated the 17th and u have to order via the back order dept so must first wait till becomes an old issue

Of note also on the cover if u enlarge, the first headline under Manning up is REDSKINS POWER SURG3

So Broncos fans thought SI covers of their QB running the football was long past eh?

Check this out-

http://blogs.denverp...rce=rsshomeblog

Isn't it great to see 'our HOF' QB doing so well and striking fear back into the NFL?

*** ooops- just saw other Manning cover thread. Mods, please merge. Thanks! ***

I apologize, u had just posted this before I posted

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/10547-titled-manning-up-peytons-7-yard-1st-down-run-makes-si-cover-on-west-coast/

I have to start listening to Denver sports radio again - I'm curious as to whether the tone of the phone calls has changed. I'm sure that the Tebow-heads are still there, but there is less for them to say with each week that passes. The rest of Denver has now been reminded what an actual quarterback looks like. What Bronco fan in their right mind would long for Tebow now.

I listen to Denver sports radio only occasionally, but in my limited sampling, fans have moved on, and the hosts feel safe to talk about how they really felt about Tebow's play. To some extent, I think Tebow mania was a creation of Florida fans. There was a definite schism between Tebow fans and Denver fans. And Tebow fans were so VERY vocal that us Denver fans felt castigated. It drove me crazy because I like Tebow. But that wasn't good enough—I had to love his QBing too.

And it's not like I had actually forgotten what a real QB looks like, but it feels like I had. It's so fresh; it's so amazing. And it's not just another real QB. It's him.

My good man, you are on the east coast too - didn't you know?

Of Course, but Get This

I moved to Detroit area from Brooklyn NY,

growing up everywhere u looked, & forgive the insulting NY condescending attitude, but all u saw was this one poster that had

NYC, Then The Hudson River, Then this thin strip of land called all else West

I live in Indiana and subscribe to Sports Illustrated, and I got the Manning cover.

Of Course, but Get This

I moved to Detroit area from Brooklyn NY,

growing up everywhere u looked, & forgive the insulting NY condescending attitude, but all u saw was this one poster that had

NYC, Then The Hudson River, Then this thin strip of land called all else West

Well I was being sarcastic - much like the poster you mention. Detroit obviously isn't all that east. The closest I've ever come to it is Ottowa, and that took a heck of a lot of motoring. Lumping NY and Detroit together as if they would have more of a shared interest in Griffin than NY and Denver would is just silly.

I remember that poster well. I always hoped it was more NYers making fun of themselves than being proud of their self-centeredness. My Dad was born near the naval yards, but we were never so myopic.

Well I was being sarcastic - much like the poster you mention. Detroit obviously isn't all that east. The closest I've ever come to it is Ottowa, and that took a heck of a lot of motoring. Lumping NY and Detroit together as if they would have more of a shared interest in Griffin than NY and Denver would is just silly.

I remember that poster well. I always hoped it was more NYers making fun of themselves than being proud of their self-centeredness. My Dad was born near the naval yards, but we were never so myopic.

I'd pass the Brooklyn naval yards on way into Manhattan on this section of an elevated highway

I dont believe they are still in use as naval yards, Its been over a decade since i could travel, my farthest has been a drive to visit my brother in Dayton, 4 hrs when my great nephew visited & that was really a daring drive & only did so my mother could see her only great grandson 2 years ago last june, before that was to Cleveland for that childs farther's wedding

Basically I wont be flying until sometime helps and goes with me when my mother eventually passes and I have to get her to NY / long Island to be buried next to dad

& I used to fly into NY 3 to 4 times a year for a month at a time when my parents lived there and wasn't as disabled as am now

Brooklyn Naval yards , strange how such a thing can bring a flood of memories as the highway mergered into another and u never knew if could drive freely or will be bumper cars until u were already on it & if u u got to see tallest building in Brooklyn as u waited that had this huge clock on all sides near its top and u could just watch the minutes tick by

Then if at night a bit further down the highway if u were going top take the brooklyn bridge into manhattan u got to see one off thee gtreatest views of NYC LIT UP, at least when the trade center was still there, haven't been there this millennium I guess

I live in Indiana and subscribe to Sports Illustrated, and I got the Manning cover.

all I know is what they told me,

perhaps the customer service rep was wrong,

Perhaps the rep looked up a specific area that is generally considered east, but as Manning played for the Colts they made an individual decision , and would be a smart one to make sure it was sent to the targeted audience that would want it.

I also asked only about newstands / pharmacy magazine racks etc ,as they wanted to know if I was a subscriber , so perhaps subscriptions are different than for local stores, Who knows

I will check out my Detroit area but highly doubt i would get west coast one

Happy for u

So Broncos fans thought SI covers of their QB running the football was long past eh?

Check this out-

http://blogs.denverp...rce=rsshomeblog

Isn't it great to see 'our HOF' QB doing so well and striking fear back into the NFL?

*** ooops- just saw other Manning cover thread. Mods, please merge. Thanks! ***

I apologize, u had just posted this before I posted

http://forums.colts....-on-west-coast/

I would of sworn the times noted said u posted first so i apologized, guess i did post first, man my brain is fried, to much multitasking

Its north of Indiana but not that far east, I am straight up from Dayton on 1 75

U were right & SI customer service wrong , I just picked it up in Detroit area local store

Guess I have been on west coast all a long

as per title

Indy Thus should get it

U were right & SI customer service wrong , I just picked it up in Detroit area local store

Guess I have been on west coast all a long