Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tim Jennings

lollygagger8

Curious.......we got rid of him.......why?

I realize the throws towards him were a tad under thrown, but he has great hands, and his vertical was ridiculously awesome on some of those plays. Could this be a classic result of our coaches dropping the ball with this guy?

Jennings has been solid for us (the Bears) since coming to Chicago. The one knock on him has been that he did not get turnovers which is a staple in Lovie's defense. Reports out of camp were that he was an INT machine and had worked alot on his hands. Looks like things have paid off. I wouldn't say the Colts dropped the ball its more like Jennings has improved his game. Also, Jennings was not supposed to start when he came to Chicago. He unseated Bowman.

Pro footbal focus has him listed as a "Secret Superstar"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/10/secret-superstar-tim-jennings-cb-chicago-bears/

" Last season he was one of only two starting corners not to allow a single touchdown, and though he only has three interceptions over the past two seasons he has added 10 more pass break-ups."

"Our 17th-ranked cornerback for 2011–despite his benching–the Chicago Bears’ Secret Superstar is none other than Tim Jennings."

Do people seriously not remember this guy when he was here? He was terrible, got burned constantly. I don't know what happened since he went to Chicago, but he never showed any promise when he was here.

He was the guy the other teams targeted on third down. Possibly coaching, with him always giving a cushion too big for the down yardage.

Now it looks like he's an all pro, but that's one game. Let's see how he does against the Packers.

He was the guy the other teams targeted on third down. Possibly coaching, with him always giving a cushion too big for the down yardage.

Now it looks like he's an all pro, but that's one game. Let's see how he does against the Packers.

the packers looked terrible agains't the 49ers... the bears might be tops in the NFC north right now, which makes me feel a little better about our loss.

the packers looked terrible agains't the 49ers... the bears might be tops in the NFC north right now, which makes me feel a little better about our loss.

I didn't feel bad about the loss anyway. I know the Saints aren't in the NFC north, but their defense was God awful yesterday. I think their D may be just as bad if not worse than our D.

I remember thinking that Jennings showed a big upside when he was here, i specifically remember he was more raw talent but could jump onto a roof. I also remember him being a really good college player so I'm not sure what the Colts were thinking but they gave up a really good projection guy.

There's ALWAYS a reason why we Cut a CB. For example, seeing Tryon against the Cowboys last Wednesday made me remember why we cut him. But Jennings & Hayden were playing against their OLD Team. They obviously tried to show off to try to "Make A Statement". Notice how Hayden got that Hit? Hayden wasn't Hitting like that when he had a Horseshoe on his Head. Like I said, they were just showing off. Most people do showoff when they play their Old Team.

Which is why I predict 2 Ints for Vontae Davis come Week 9

I think DB is one of the mis judged positions on a football team. You ever notice the best DBs are always the ones that have a good pass rush. Therefore, they have to cover a shorter amount of time and get more interceptions. Jennings was never a bad player. I think you could have put Revis on our team and if he was told to give a 10 yard cushion like we did the last couple of years, he would have looked horrible too.

That is why it is frustrating when people will say DBs are bad. Nobody can cover an NFL receiver for the amount of time we are giving QBs. Cutler had way too much time. Sure, Freeney and Mathis are good pass rushers over the years, but we had nothing for interior pressure. Just watch as how the more we blitz and hurry the QB, suddenly you will hear about the DBs improving and getting tighter coverage.

Well he was beat twice on those plays....badly...fact was Luck made such poor throws it allowed him to recover. Most good qbs would have had a td and a large large gain on those two throws....not ints. This was more a case of Luck making two very poor throws (he is better than that) and Jennings then making the most of them. It wasn't like he was playing good d on those two....he was burnt badly. To his credit he did recover when given the chance and caught those.....lets just say Tom Brady or even most top half of the league qbs wouldn't have let him get back into the play like that.

He did make a nice diving tip on that redzone pick by Conti....overall he had a very good game....but two good throws and we would be singing a different tune.

I'm sure Tim was bitter about being the punch line to jokes here and that probably pushed him to improve, but the bigger factor was coaching. He's always been a great athlete, but our CB's were never really put into a position to succeed here because of the ridiculous cushions and conservative style of play we demanded (Marlin Jackson pre-ACL tear being an exception).

I never understood why we cut Jennings. he has always had the talent to play in the league. his first INT was absolutely a great play by him. the second was under thrown. mistakes a qb makes when either you don't see the DB or you don't expect him to actually "get up" to be able to make that play. Luck will make his adjustment and start hitting his WRs over the shoulder.

So were we really that bad at coaching him then? The guy has some major talent.

No he doesn`t. He was a lousy cover guy, gave up tons of yardage, but did tackle pretty well if he caught them.

He was injured much of his 1st 2 years with the Colts also.

MAJOR Talent hahah! At CB, 6 years in the league making $900,000. Uh Huh!

Well he was beat twice on those plays....badly...fact was Luck made such poor throws it allowed him to recover. Most good qbs would have had a td and a large large gain on those two throws....not ints. This was more a case of Luck making two very poor throws (he is better than that) and Jennings then making the most of them. It wasn't like he was playing good d on those two....he was burnt badly. To his credit he did recover when given the chance and caught those.....lets just say Tom Brady or even most top half of the league qbs wouldn't have let him get back into the play like that.

He did make a nice diving tip on that redzone pick by Conti....overall he had a very good game....but two good throws and we would be singing a different tune.

Luck underthrew those despite being protected well on those plays. One play, he zeroed in like a rookie to Wayne, Jennings tipped it and Conti got it. Another play, he underthrew Donnie Avery. Then, he underthrew Kris Adams for the 3rd INT.

Those were nothing but terrible throws and Jennings made the play he had to but Luck gave him the chance. For some reason, I am wondering if Luck underestimated NFL DB speed, guys are not going to be open by much in the NFL and it is better to lead them and have an incompletion or an acrobatic catch than to underthrow and get an INT. We dont have WRs that come down with jump balls, so better to lead them like good QBs do.

Luck underthrew those despite being protected well on those plays. One play, he zeroed in like a rookie to Wayne, Jennings tipped it and Conti got it. Another play, he underthrew Donnie Avery. Then, he underthrew Kris Adams for the 3rd INT.

Those were nothing but terrible throws and Jennings made the play he had to but Luck gave him the chance. For some reason, I am wondering if Luck underestimated NFL DB speed, guys are not going to be open by much in the NFL and it is better to lead them and have an incompletion or an acrobatic catch than to underthrow and get an INT. We dont have WRs that come down with jump balls, so better to lead them like good QBs do.

That throw to Reggie was actually a good throw...Jennings held him and if you watch hooked him with his arm to get inside and tip it. Reggie got in front of him actually just the way it was drawn up. I'm not going to cry like others about no calls but that was a perfect throw. The other two he lifts his back foot sometimes on those deeper throws and they float or come up short...he has had that issue in college and it is well documented so its just one thing he needs to continue working on....but thats a minor thing....and he is very much NFL ready.

I didn't feel bad about the loss anyway. I know the Saints aren't in the NFC north, but their defense was God awful yesterday. I think their D may be just as bad if not worse than our D.

i feel bad cause i thought we have more talent than we showed. i felt the game should have been closer, heck if our defense can extend the first 5 min of play to 60 min we could have killed them. however i felt the emotion we showed left as soon as freeney got hurt and forte got that huge run. wind went right out of our sails.

It's amazing what good coaching can do. The guy was beyond horrible here

Hopefully Pagano can do the same and coach up both Davis and Powers and make them much better than they looked Sunday. I didnt see Davis make any of those incredible athletic plays or vertical jumps on the ball like he usually did in Miami. Im sure with more time here though, he will get there.