Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With QB row Playing Denver the nxt 6 weeks, The Nickle D better improve or Peyton will be playing catchup when he gets a chance to be on field

bayone

Nickle D allowed way to may 3rd and long conversions in a row keeping Peyton on sidelines

When Roethlisberger converted a third-and-2 seconds into the fourth quarter with a 3-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace, the Steelers at that point were a ridiculous 12-of-17 on third down.

Steeler convert third downs on plays of 18, 13, 12, 11, 10 and 9 yards.

Third downs are clock hoggers. The Steelers had the ball 14 minutes and 24 seconds of the 15-minute third quarter. They had it 9:38 of the second quarter.

e:Peyton Manning leads Denver Broncos to strong first win over Steelers - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz264MSn7Qy

===============

NEXT 6 QB's & the Nickle D

When offenses spread out their defense — most notably when offenses put them in the nickel (five defensive backs) — the Broncos simply couldn't find a way to match up, be it the run game or the pass

Sunday night was the official unveiling of the Broncos' revamped nickel, and the Broncos weren't bashful about using it. With Chris Harris as the fifth defensive back alongside Champ Bailey, Tracy Porter, Mike Adams and Rahim Moore — Porter and Adams were among the first players signed in free agency by the Broncos — the Broncos found themselves spread out for much of the game against Steelers first-year coordinator Todd Haley.

The Broncos were in the nickel for 23 defensive snaps (penalty snaps included) in the first half alone, including 18 in the second quarter. On one Steelers drive, a 14-play, 79-yard affair just before halftime, the Broncos were in the nickel for all 14 snaps and were unable to get Pittsburgh off the field.

The Steelers won't be the first to kick the tires again, not with Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees the next six quarterbacks in line for the Broncos.

Based on Pittsburgh's success, Sunday's game won't be the first the Broncos have to hang in with that group on the field.

:Inside the game: Five defensive backs still a problem, but offseason additions pay dividends - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...h#ixzz264KDBUWy

I must say, I watched the game to see Peyton, and it was CRAZY how long they were able to keep him off the field. Lol.

But I think A LOT of it had to do with Big Ben's great playmaking ability, he's bigger and more mobile than any of their upcoming QB's. And boy can he keep plays alive, a lot of less mobile guys would've gotten sacked more.

But man do they have quite the schedule, and guys like Brady, Brees, and Rivers can make little movements in the pocket and have good enough footwork to avoid sacks for an extra second or so. The run D looked really good, and I'd say the secondary needs a little bit of work, their run D looked good though.

I'd say if the D can stay off the field, and make plays(I see them being more of a sack machine, than a ballhawk type defense) they'll be fine. And also if the offense can maintain a balanced attack, cause we all know what Peyton can do with a running game, even though we'd have to go pretty far back to remember. :lol:

I must say, I watched the game to see Peyton, and it was CRAZY how long they were able to keep him off the field. Lol.

But I think A LOT of it had to do with Big Ben's great playmaking ability, he's bigger and more mobile than any of their upcoming QB's. And boy can he keep plays alive, a lot of less mobile guys would've gotten sacked more.

But man do they have quite the schedule, and guys like Brady, Brees, and Rivers can make little movements in the pocket and have good enough footwork to avoid sacks for an extra second or so. The run D looked really good, and I'd say the secondary needs a little bit of work, their run D looked good though.

I'd say if the D can stay off the field, and make plays(I see them being more of a sack machine, than a ballhawk type defense) they'll be fine. And also if the offense can maintain a balanced attack, cause we all know what Peyton can do with a running game, even though we'd have to go pretty far back to remember. :lol:

Agree only save for first qrtr were subs , with loss of Ty Warren , The Main DT, can they keep it up, are quite thin along that line already losing starting DE Hunter, Wolfe was to rotate Dt & De pending where to apply extra pressure, now hes staring DE

Del Rio will have to be innovative but did a good job on the fly containing the middlle, but not as much the outside with fast RB's

Also these RBs were the subs , Not Mendahall, or KC's Charles, Raiders McFadden etc