Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Optimism?

Slick_Rick

Everything I'm seeing on these forums is doom and gloom. What positives did we take away from today? I thought the special teams other than the Brazil fumble was pretty good. The two punts that we saved from being touchbacks was impressive to me. That may be commonplace on other teams, but around here it was a vast upgrade. I think we looked young, but coachable.

Too many fans on here that jumped on the wagon when we were successful. Outside of last year, they don't know what it's like to lose.

I agree, but let's not turn it into a "better fan thread." I think today's game will help to make us hungry and get the nerves out. I think it was a good baseline for where we are and gives us something to improve on. I think if we eliminated a few of the mental mistakes (the DB drops, etc) The game would have been a lot more competitive.

i think luck honestly did better then peytons 1st rookie game. and im sorry but replacement refs hurt us on more then one occasion this game. that 1st interception should not have been one. i mean the bears player was in our oline and got away with it. righ tthere was 3 points then i didnt get to see the 2nd INT but usually reggie wont complain about an INT but he did cause well if he was pushed he was pushed. cant remember if that was the result of a TD or field goal either way if it was a TD that is ten points and were only down ten at the end. you look at how the D played and if it is true mathis was held on alot of plays then that would be the reason for at least another TD so that would leave a field goal to tie it. there are key penalties that could and will destroy a team during a game. i jsut hope we get real refs back soon cause the colts were nto the only ones with bad calls

I think we did a bit worse than expected, but I wasn't expecting a win. The bears are great, and they earned the win.

Our o-line struggled in the run game, but I personally don't think they were as awful as some other people are saying when it comes to pass protection. We still put up 300+ passing yards (which as of this post is 6th in the NFL). As far as optimism goes for the rest of the game, we had two WRs out this game: the talented Collie and the promising Hilton. Freeney was out of the game super early so it can still be said that our pressure wasn't as good as it could have been. The game was AWAY, with rowdy fans. We have a lot of guys starting their first official games. I'm willing to cut them some slack. 21 points against a team that good is already better than a lot of games last year. I can't still see 6-10 on the horizon and even still 8-8.

i think luck honestly did better then peytons 1st rookie game. and im sorry but replacement refs hurt us on more then one occasion this game. that 1st interception should not have been one. i mean the bears player was in our oline and got away with it. righ tthere was 3 points then i didnt get to see the 2nd INT but usually reggie wont complain about an INT but he did cause well if he was pushed he was pushed. cant remember if that was the result of a TD or field goal either way if it was a TD that is ten points and were only down ten at the end. you look at how the D played and if it is true mathis was held on alot of plays then that would be the reason for at least another TD so that would leave a field goal to tie it. there are key penalties that could and will destroy a team during a game. i jsut hope we get real refs back soon cause the colts were nto the only ones with bad calls

AV missing a routine FG ticked me off. Why do we pay him? Produce or get out. It didn't go un-noticed.

I don't know why anybody in the state of Indiana is surprised by "fans" jumping ship when we lose.. and jumping back on board when we win. This is all I have been seeing from this city for years now.

It's what I have been saying forever..

Colts fans got spoiled from our decade of success by the former regimes until one unexpected bad season last year.. now can't take a loss.. plain and simple.

Here is something to chew on lucks 307 yards passing is still good enough for third all time for a rookie qb in his first game and till last year it would have been first. Clearly the kid has talent because he did that against a pretty good defense with little support of a running game. We need to stay patient. This decsion was not made for this year or maybe even next It was made for the next 15 years.

we can't wait to read analysis from the untrained eye. bet you can't wait to take your two whipping boys behind the woodshed. enjoy !

better then the usual "Johnson sucks, Linkenbach stinks, Justice is awful" group, at least Im taking the time unlike some people who just love to jump to conclusions out of pure emotions

Castonzo impressed me.

I was really worried about how he'd handle Peppers, but he was the only lineman that played like he was worth anything yesterday. He got beat the the McClellan spin move early on, but bounced back well. It's too bad the same can't be said about the rest of the positions where Chicago d-lineman blew through us like wet kleenex.

It wasn't a spectacular game for AC, but I saw development there and enough to be optimistic about LT going forward.

Castonzo impressed me.

I was really worried about how he'd handle Peppers, but he was the only lineman that played like he was worth anything yesterday. He got beat the the McClellan spin move early on, but bounced back well. It's too bad the same can't be said about the rest of the positions where Chicago d-lineman blew through us like wet kleenex.

It wasn't a spectacular game for AC, but I saw development there and enough to be optimistic about LT going forward.

the right side of the line was doing just fine until justice went down. the bulk of the pressure was coming between left guard and center all day long and collapsing the pocket.

Here is something to chew on lucks 307 yards passing is still good enough for third all time for a rookie qb in his first game and till last year it would have been first. Clearly the kid has talent because he did that against a pretty good defense with little support of a running game. We need to stay patient. This decsion was not made for this year or maybe even next It was made for the next 15 years.

Exactly. 307 yards, against a tough D, in his first game, away, AND running for his life pretty much the whole game. I am optimistic for the future:)

Good thread. i think Lefeged (sp check) was great on special teams... i think everything goes hand in hand. just have to build off this game and improve. I will rewatch the game tonight and look at AC on the line i did not really pay too much attention to him. Luck did what i expect any QB with no time to throw would do. i also felt the Refs were inconsistent on calls/no calls. the play we were picked in the end zone was PI... the play Davis got called was not. there was a play Hughes was held on from behind when he was about to get the QB no call. but an ok game overall. helps put things in perspective.

I think we took our lumps like we're supposed to. It would be crushing if we didn't have hope, but we do have hope. There is going to be a game where it all clicks and we see the vision Irsay, Grigs and pagano have. I can't say players like Brown or Freeney will be a part of it, but we'll see. The Eagles and the Ravens (who we were birthed from practically), both have 2 of the best running backs in the NFL and I would be willing to bet that we want something like that pretty soon. Talking about next year.

Exactly. 307 yards, against a tough D, in his first game, away, AND running for his life pretty much the whole game. I am optimistic for the future:)

Then I'm going to assume your handle means "Manning transition to Luck", and not "Manning is greater than Luck". An homage to Peyton, not a slight at Andrew.

As far as being optimistic, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades.

Everything I'm seeing on these forums is doom and gloom. What positives did we take away from today? I thought the special teams other than the Brazil fumble was pretty good. The two punts that we saved from being touchbacks was impressive to me. That may be commonplace on other teams, but around here it was a vast upgrade. I think we looked young, but coachable.

Reggie is still Reggie, thats the only positive I took from the game. Oh and running game was good.

Then I'm going to assume your handle means "Manning transition to Luck", and not "Manning is greater than Luck". An homage to Peyton, not a slight at Andrew.

As far as being optimistic, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades.

No slight at Andrew! I even switched my handle before i read your post from Manning>Luck to Manning->Luck because i realized it looks like the greater than symbol rather than the segue i meant it to be. Go Luck and Go Peyton! (assuming we're not playing him of course).

Everything I saw yesterday was nothing a little experience won't cure. No doom and gloom (even though I've been accused of worse on other threads) I see only a bright future with our young quarterback and the new look Colts that will make their mark in the years to come!

I'm searching for positives, but there weren't many. This is a 2-14 team populated with rookies and a new coaching staff. It's expected.

I thought the same and then went back and rewatched the game. That game was a good first step for this team.

Brown drops 2 first downs

Luck over throws Reggie on 2 first downs and1 possible really big gain.

Luck under throws a sure touchdown to Avery that gets picked off by an incredible catch.

Those were all mistakes that i don't think we make on a regular basis.

Losing freeney hurt as well, no more pressure after he went out.

I thought bethea hit hard and out corners played better on a rewatch than originally thought.