Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Kick Off Distance-Advantage Passing Game?

King Colt

Now that a new element of boredom has been forced upon the game it seems apparent that having to start most possessions at the 20 will force more passing. I say that because as the time goes on in to the fourth quarter runners should experience a greater degree of wear and tear. This said would it not make sense to throw on the first several possessions to get near the 40 +/- to establish a drive. I also think this may have an added tire factor on frontline defenses should teams with good running games elect to grind out long drives for four quarters. Maybe I am over simplyfing all this but I think we may see some new stratagies this season then hopefully the commission will erase this stupid rule and we will go back to head knockin' kickoff returns like the good ol' days.

P.S. If Brett Farve ever puts on a Colt jersey I will have Tome Brady's picture tattooed on my forehead and marry my sister.

This a good rule for the Colts. The Colts start at the 20 yd line(give or take)while

the opposing teams start at around the 30, more often than not.

That is a 10 yard advantage to the Colts every kickoff, if everyone starts their

offense at the 20yd hash mark. You have to like this rule if you are a Colts fan.

This a good rule for the Colts. The Colts start at the 20 yd line(give or take)while

the opposing teams start at around the 30, more often than not.

That is a 10 yard advantage to the Colts every kickoff, if everyone starts their

offense at the 20yd hash mark. You have to like this rule if you are a Colts fan.

Agree. Very good rule for the Colts. Minimizes their weakness.

It's a good rule for the Colts, but a bad rule for football. They are essentially taking away the kickoff just for player safety. If you want to ensure player safety, make it chess. Part of the reason why football is so exciting is the physical element. I'm 100% for player safety, but this is just too much if you ask me.

It's a good rule for the Colts, but a bad rule for football. They are essentially taking away the kickoff just for player safety. If you want to ensure player safety, make it chess. Part of the reason why football is so exciting is the physical element. I'm 100% for player safety, but this is just too much if you ask me.

I heard the league is concerned about liability in the future. I don't doubt it. It's probably one of these cases where the league has been shown data about significantly more injuries on the kickoffs and if they don't act on that information to reduce risk and increase player safety, then there is potential liability.

I heard the league is concerned about liability in the future. I don't doubt it. It's probably one of these cases where the league has been shown data about significantly more injuries on the kickoffs and if they don't act on that information to reduce risk and increase player safety, then there is potential liability.

I didn't think about it from that perspective. It makes sense, but as a fan, I would still like to see the kickoff rules returned to what they were.

Disagree. NFL football player is inherently dangerous and you assume the risk when choosing to enter the league. In terms of job definition it would undoubtedly fall under "ultra hazardous" most states have with respective industrial commissions (e.g. construction worker and other laborers). End of discussion. If these guys can count the number of collisions and head impacts they've had over the course of their lifetime during sandlot, pop warner, Jr. High, High School, and college games (plus whatever else they do in life) and show me they had no pre-disposition to injury and/or pre-existing condition, I'm all ears.

What this is....is the league trying to "clean up it's own mess", which is exactly what industry is supposed to do. Like it or not, this relatively young and popular game is evolving and will continue to do so.