Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It hit me that Luck can never live up to the hype

GoodLuck

Breaking news!: Andrew Luck locked out of Colts facilities.

Following the Colts defeat at the hands of the Chicago Bears, Andrew Luck, after returning to Indianapolis, attempted to gain access to the Colts training facilities.

Witnessses claim to have seen Andrew knocking on the door and pleading with Headcoach Chuck Pagano.

When asked for a comment Coach Pagano simply replied, "Andrew losing a game never entered our minds. We aren't sure where to go from here, but we know we don't need a loser around."

Since the incident several sources claim to have seen Andrew Luck sitting outside the 'Circle Center Mall' with a cardboard sign reading "Will throw TDs for food."

Thus another sad end to another promising football career.

From the Colts official forum, I'm disillusioned Colts fan.

heymanning.gif

Someone else posted this.. (from memory....hope I get it right)

Manning's first game - 309yds 1TD - 3 Int

Andrew's first game - 302yds 1TD - 3 int

So what are you talking about?

You have the yardage reversed - Luck 309 and Manning 302.

Luck also had two more completions than Manning 23 vs 21. So I guess if we are going by first Rookie outings Luck is Greater than Manning :)

One game.

Settle.

Agreed. I have never seen so many doom and gloom reviews off the first start of the first regular season game for a rookie QB. Luck didn't play a great game - he threw two red zone picks including one in the end zone and under threw a potential TD pass that was intercepted by Tim Jennings. Lest we forget, Manning lost his first game - at home in 1998 against the Dolphins so so defense, with Marshall Faulk ( not Donald Brown) at RB and a in his prime ( not the catch and immediately go to the ground) Marvin Harrison. Manning threw aTD only on the last play of the game to make the score somewhat respectable. I want to see Luck's stats and demeanor after a few games to start to assess his performance.

You have the yardage reversed - Luck 309 and Manning 302.

Luck also had two more completions than Manning 23 vs 21. So I guess if we are going by first Rookie outings Luck is Greater than Manning :)

Luck also had like 10 more attempts and a fumble. Manning had Faulk and a running game something luck does not get to enjoy. Luck doesn't need to be the next manning or as good as Peyton to be a great qb. He needs to be the first Andrew Luck. He's going to have things he can do better than Peyton and there will be things Peyton can do better than him. So we as fans can compare all we want but hey they are different players.

6-10 would be a great year this year. Folks Rome and franchise qbs were not built in a day. Stay the course and remeber it could be worse would you rather have another year of watching painter and collins?

whaaaaaaaaaaaat? you saying we wont go to the sb this year? daaaaaarn

Luck will never be as good as Manning. Manning is a living legend and will go down as one of the greatest QBs of all time. Luck is literally walking in the shadow of a giant.

Now, I'm not saying Luck won't be a great QB as it's still too early to judge. However, it's too much wishful thinking to believe that he's going to be as great as Peyton.

Fortunately, you don't need to put up Manning level stats to win games. Winning is all that matters.

Luck will never be as good as Manning. Manning is a living legend and will go down as one of the greatest QBs of all time. Luck is literally walking in the shadow of a giant.

Now, I'm not saying Luck won't be a great QB as it's still too early to judge. However, it's too much wishful thinking to believe that he's going to be as great as Peyton.

Fortunately, you don't need to put up Manning level stats to win games. Winning is all that matters.

I've said from the start I would be thrilled if he's our Steve Young. What I mean by that is not as good as the guy he replaced but still had a great career of his own.

You never know. Right now it doesn't make sense to compare the two bodies of work. It has taken Manning 14 years to accrue his stats and Luck has only played one game in the NFL.

he showed some shakiness, wow, you think.... first start ever vs. hostile crowd, hostile defense, weak/inexperienced Colts O-Line, bad hands with some of our receivers. Yes, he did throw 3 picks, yes he didn't look like a rocket-arm Cutler or Elway or Rogers or Favre. That's not his game, his arm is not that strong, he is more of a finesse QB that has some smarts to overcome his weak arm. I think he won't be anywhere near a RGIII just due to the fact that RGIII can run like the wind (43 yards yesterday), and RGIII can throw the ball so accuratley, like he was doing yesterday, hitting receivers on a dime, but Luck has lots of potential down the road a bit (couple years).

IMO

I don't think luck will live up to the hype but that's simply because the hype was so ridiculously over the top that no one could live up to it.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as Manning either but that's not a diss on Luck but rather a tribute to just how great Manning really is. I could see Luck reaching Aaron Rodgers level though and there's certainly nothing at all wrong with that.

Exactly. When you dub a guy a once in a generation talent you're setting him up for failure because you're setting the bar at a point where he has to be better than every single QB to play the game over a 20+ year span to match the hype. That's an absurd expectation.

kind of like the texans win the south once and their fans think they will win the superbowl

There are plenty of non-Texans fans who think they have a good shot at that these days, too. :)

It's an extremely tall order to live up to Manning's reputation as a pure passer... but it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Luck to actually have more playoff success in his career. Sadly, that will likely be less up to Luck than it will be up to Grigson and, even moreso, Irsay.

As a true colts fan I can honestly say that I am ecstatic about the look and the direction of the new team. I for one will always be grateful for everything that Manning was able to do in order to make this franchise respectable again. I will continue to follow his remaining years and root for success as long as he is not playing the colts, however the look of this new monster has brightened my look for many years to come. We can no longer look to the past, however for those that remember the past it always relied on Manning being perfect, which makes me believe that there will never be another Manning. The guy is a true champion, however for once we can look forward to being a true all round football team and will be able to make mistakes. I like offense just as much as the next guy, but I also like being able to stop someone on the other side of the ball. What I witnessed yesterday makes me look forward to years to come, and for what it's worth I think the defense will only become stronger and it was a nice change to see corners actually playing press coverage rather than giving a ten yard cushion on every play. Last time we seen Marshall in the cover 2 I believe he had a hall of fame career day against us for 21 receptions, 200 yards and two touchdowns. I believe yesterday he was cut in half for 9 receptions, 119 yards, and one touchdown. I for one look forward to the rest of the season as well as being able to witness the start of another hall of fame career in the making. I believe that when we look back on it over the next decade we will see Luck with a better playoff career record and at least just as many Super Bowl wins if not more.

Yep, he'll never live up to the daunting 9-10 playoff record.

Look, I'm a Luck supporter, but let's be honest: Luck would never have made the playoffs with the pathetic teams Manning carried, to have a 9-10 playoff record. He's not that kind of QB. Few in the history of the game are. That's why we need to build a real, balanced team for once. If we do, Luck will be just fine. He has everything you want in a QB, provided he's playing on a real football team. Currently, he's not.

Yep, he'll never live up to the daunting 9-10 playoff record. Stop with comparisons people and admit that its OK to see something different.

This.

All those playoff appearances in row and only one champioship to show for it. It's kinda like the NFL's version of the 1990's Atlanta Braves.

Had a guy at work today say that Luck won't fill Peyton's shoes - in light of yesterday's game. Good. I hope Luck doesn't. I hope he brings his own pair of shoes. And that isn't a knock on Peyton. I truly appreciate all those years he played for Indy, especially in light of those previous "glory" years, such as, when Mike Pagel's go-to guy was Pat Beach, lol.

If Luck is the QB for a team that only makes 5 playoff appearances over the next 10 seasons yet has more than one championship to show for it, then he would already surpass Peyton in my book.

It's only one game. Nothing to fret over.

Everybody has a bad game in their career. Its not how you start, its how you finish in this league. Look at the Giants last year, started out bad for them but what happened, I watched clinch the division against the Cowboys, beat down the Falcons, take it to the Packers, stun the 49ers, and beat New England to win it all. I am not saying the Colts are going to do the same thing, but you never know what is going to happen until the game starts.

After watching SNF with you know who, Luck can never be better than that. Poor kid was put into a horrible position.

I watched almost all of his college games and never brought into the best since Elway crap. But I did let the media and preseason get me a lil too excited about what to expect out of him. I think this season will be more enjoyable with no expectations.

He doesn't have to be the greatest of all time.. People just don't seem to understand this. He just has to be darn good which I'm sure he will be. I'd love to see a top 5 nfl qb with a solid overall team. Luck doesn't have to be perennial hof and bajillion time mvp that carried his team on his back more than any other player in NFL history with 54282 yards and 401 tds with 3-5 years left in his career.

Why all the doom and gloom all of a sudden? We got to get behind this team and Luck! We have a rookie QB, we have an rookie head coach. We have an all new coaching staff and a lot of brand new players. Come on people! Don't be all doom and gloom get behind this team. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Where is all the optimism that we had earlier this year? Just because we lost to the Bears and everyone is down on Luck and the team and the coaching staff and Irsay? Come on now! I am for one is behind this team, win or lose. I am still very optimistic about the Colts and their future. Yes, this year might be a long year or it might not but we still have to get behind them and cheer them on. Go Colts!

Simply amazing today on this forum.

People are true victims of the moment.

Terribly, kind of funny they must expect this new team with a bunch of rookies to go undefeated and win the SB. :facepalm: and some more :facepalm:

People return to earth people! This team could very well only win 2 games (this year), however I do think they get their first win again the Vikings next week.

The league today is so "What have you done for me lately?" Remember right after we drafted Luck? We were called an expansion team, people said they felt bad for Luck. After that Preseason debut, all of a sudden we're a 9 win playoff contender. Now we're going back to the "I'm more optimistic about the Colts than you would think, I have them winning a game." Our team meanwhile, has barely changed through this whole process.

Absolutely - well said.

There's a reason you've had warnings, and I'm going to put you on ignore.

As a precaution, please put me on ignore as well.

Fine by me. Andrew is obviously a highly competent QB - he'll certainly be one of the better QBs in the league and I'm satisfied with that; I don't need him to be another Peyton.

Winning is great, but it worries me when the Colts winning is dependent on one or two players. I'd much rather see a well-rounded team staffed with numerous above average players that compliment each other.

How do you know he wont? I will say it is less likely he is that good but saying he wont is still an assumption that at this point...has no basis.

he showed some shakiness, wow, you think.... first start ever vs. hostile crowd, hostile defense, weak/inexperienced Colts O-Line, bad hands with some of our receivers. Yes, he did throw 3 picks, yes he didn't look like a rocket-arm Cutler or Elway or Rogers or Favre. That's not his game, his arm is not that strong, he is more of a finesse QB that has some smarts to overcome his weak arm. I think he won't be anywhere near a RGIII just due to the fact that RGIII can run like the wind (43 yards yesterday), and RGIII can throw the ball so accuratley, like he was doing yesterday, hitting receivers on a dime, but Luck has lots of potential down the road a bit (couple years).

IMO

He looked good yes but I still wanna see RG3 do it against a good def before we crown him. I think the Saints were 28th in takeaways last year.

On another note Luck is plenty fast. People will respect it.

Accuracy will come. It would be rough for anyone behind that line against the Bears and It didn't help not having Collie and TY Hilton.