Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis.

StewieG

Davis has been here two weeks. This isn't a video game guys don't just pick up a new defense overnight. It will take him a couple of weeks just like Dierdorf brought up on the broadcast. Also Davis isn't the first CB that Brandon Marshall has eaten alive and wont be the last.

Frankly if we get Freeney back and get our pass rush back I think you'll see a large improvement in the play of both Davis and Powers. Like Collinsworth has brought up in the past cornerbacks can hold up in coverage for about 3 to 5 seconds in the NFL. Anything beyond that and you are asking a lot. That's why you notice teams that win in the NFL have a great pass rush. You have to be able to get to QBs if you can't they are going to sit back there and pick you apart in today's NFL.

Davis and Powers didn't have great games today but I would give them a couple of weeks and watch the pass rush up front for a few weeks before I am too hard on them. Keep in mind Powers is making a change too he's going form playing a Cover-2 defense to playing a more man-to-man defense and that's not always the easiest thing in the NFL.

Davis has been here two weeks. This isn't a video game guys don't just pick up a new defense overnight. It will take him a couple of weeks just like Dierdorf brought up on the broadcast. Also Davis isn't the first CB that Brandon Marshall has eaten alive and wont be the last.

Frankly if we get Freeney back and get our pass rush back I think you'll see a large improvement in the play of both Davis and Powers. Like Collinsworth has brought up in the past cornerbacks can hold up in coverage for about 3 to 5 seconds in the NFL. Anything beyond that and you are asking a lot. That's why you notice teams that win in the NFL have a great pass rush. You have to be able to get to QBs if you can't they are going to sit back there and pick you apart in today's NFL.

Davis and Powers didn't have great games today but I would give them a couple of weeks and watch the pass rush up front for a few weeks before I am too hard on them. Keep in mind Powers is making a change too he's going form playing a Cover-2 defense to playing a more man-to-man defense and that's not always the easiest thing in the NFL.

I know it will take him a while to get the defense and such, but that doesn't excuse him getting burned.

But he did to better than Powers, which isn't really saying much.

Combination of things. First, the pass rush was completely non-existent after the 1st Quarter. Second, Marshall is not only fast, but tall. It is hard to keep up with his strides...and he runs decent routes. Cutler was throwing to a spot on a lot of the routes. His release is extremely fast and he has a cannon.....extremely difficult for anyone to cover......even if they could, it would be terribly difficult to hold coverage for very long without pressuring the QB.

Davis will be fine.

Powers was covering Marshall...Davis covering Jeffery and gave up one big play. Davis played well...

They were mixing it up depending on what side of the field Marshall was lining up on. I know for a fact the TD pass to Marshall came against Davis for example. Not that Davis could have done much on that play it's just an example of a play where Davis was on Marshall.

When you have a good QB and a good WR sometimes they get in rhythm and it doesn't matter who you have playing CB they can't do much to stop it. That was the case at times today. Generally the only way you can stop that is to knock them out of it and normally the only way you can do that is to get the QB before he throws the ball which has nothing to do with the CB. If you don't have a pass rush like the Colts didn't have today after Freeney left the game your goose is normally cooked.

Lets see how he does next week against the Vikings where, outside of Harvin I can barely name another receiver on their team.

Devin Aromashodu, Stephen Burton, Michael Jenkins, Jarius Wright....there is a reason that it is hard to name a lot of Vikings receivers.

Devin Aromashodu, Stephen Burton, Michael Jenkins, Jarius Wright....there is a reason that it is hard to name a lot of Vikings receivers.

Hats off to Aromashodu I remember when we signed him in 2007 just out desperation and he has had a nice little career for himself. Clearly not a star WR in the NFL by any means but has lasted a lot longer than I think most would have thought.

I know it will take him a while to get the defense and such, but that doesn't excuse him getting burned.

from what i saw he was only burnt once. his biggest problem was PI calls, and a couple were just a small touch. in all honesty after freeney went down the defense went down with him. they had two great series at the beginning getting at cutler tearing through the line and defending the pass well and once that INT for a TD. DAvis will be fine in a week or two

from what i saw he was only burnt once. his biggest problem was PI calls, and a couple were just a small touch. in all honesty after freeney went down the defense went down with him. they had two great series at the beginning getting at cutler tearing through the line and defending the pass well and once that INT for a TD. DAvis will be fine in a week or two

I think he did fine. A PI call in the end zone with the ball on the 1 yd line doesn't really cost us anything, so I think he was more worried with controlling his receiver than getting called for a PI.. and the TD to Jeffery was more about a perfect throw by Cutler to a 6'3" receiver at the back of the end zone than him getting burned.

this isnt madden, even darrell revis gets burned on plays.. both CBs played well, and im sure pretty soon your gonna be praising how well he's playing.

On another note im surprised at how well Powers covered marshall... anyone noticed that? Marshall made some great plays but powers was there to contend for the ball on a few plays.

Was a bit odd how they put powers on marshall most plays and vontae on marhsall in the redzone.

I thought outside of his good tackling, he was pretty poor in his coverage.

Am I the only one who thought this? Powers played awful, but Davis was just meh to me.

I know he just got here but he seemed really uncomfortable covering Marshall in the endzone. I'm officially worried about that fella. You don't put yourself behind a tall receiver when isolated with him in the endzone, something that his 'new arrival' status shouldn't have affected.

I thought outside of his good tackling, he was pretty poor in his coverage.

Am I the only one who thought this? Powers played awful, but Davis was just meh to me.

No there are many "the sky is falling" Colt fans around this board who believe the same thing. The guy just got here and he Is the best CB we have. He only had the task of covering possibly one of the top 5 receivers in the league.

aromashodu is the only one im afraid of and that isnt saying much trust me. outside of harvin the only thing the colts D should be worried about is AD if we can contain him then we can win this game. same thing as with jacksonville. contain MJD adn we can win that game as well.

I know he just got here but he seemed really uncomfortable covering Marshall in the endzone. I'm officially worried about that fella. You don't put yourself behind a tall receiver when isolated with him in the endzone, something that his 'new arrival' status shouldn't have affected.

Exactly.

I thought he played fairly well for only being with the team for about 2 weeks.

Meh....anyone could see that it wasn't proper technique for him to get behind Marshall in the corner of the endzone. Marshall ran the exact same quick route twice and both times Davis was out of position. Marshall is a beast, yes, but Davis played him horribly and got burned twice on a relatively easy route to intercede upon.

All I know is, Marshall is scary good. I think Revis would have a hard time covering him.

Crybaby Cutler has a rocket launcher arm, and combine that with Marshall's size and ability......if they both stay healthy, the Bears are going far this season.

Marshall looked like a 6 '10 " High school center playing against the grade school teams at times Lolly!

Two things I want to bring out on this subject of Vontae Davis. Did anyone else love how Coach Pagano took him on the sideline and was 'nurturing' him.....coaching him like a son? Pagano is a football coach...what a refreshing sight!

Secondly: Since Davis knew Marshall from covering him on the practice field, it made me more disappointed with his performance. I am not going to bash him because he is two weeks in learning a new system. I wish he had covered a 'known commodity' better. :coltslogo:

First of all Davis didnt play that bad,hes not the only one BM burnt,Bm has something you cant replace,size and strength,if qb is given plenty of time to throw BM will win 99percent of the time over any corner IMO.Lets not forget we were playing a playoff caliber team on theyre home field,first game under a whole new system.

First of all Davis didnt play that bad,hes not the only one BM burnt,Bm has something you cant replace,size and strength,if qb is given plenty of time to throw BM will win 99percent of the time over any corner IMO.Lets not forget we were playing a playoff caliber team on theyre home field,first game under a whole new system.

Well stated Sir! I think some folks have forgotten the Bears were right there before Cutler went down last year. If they score over 21 points in a given week, they will challenge for the division. Of course the Pack and Lions may have a say in that too... :) Edited by BrentMc11