Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Star Spangled Banner/National Anthem Be Tampered With?

southwest1

As we all eagerly anticipated the start of the NFL season last Wednesday night on September 5, 2012, we sat in front of a TV set or flat screen to watch the Superbowl Champion NY Giants face the Dallas Cowboys. Before the gave could begin, we all waited patiently to hear the U.S. National Anthem being sung by a celebrity to pay tribute to our love for this country and the troops serving abroad overseas to protect our civil liberties. Some individuals selected to carry out this rare duty are quite gifted musically AKA Whitney Houston and some individuals AKA Roseanne Bar either cannot sing well or have not treated this honor with the respect it truly deserves.

Recently, Queen Latifah performed the U.S. National Anthem in MetLife Stadium in New York. Clearly, some artistic license was taken in her vocal rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Here is my question: Should the National Anthem be sung as close as possible to the original version given the historic and symbolic nature of American pride and heritage that this song ultimately represents or Is any form of alteration and creativity allowed during the live performance of this number and why?

http://youtu.be/tmrQINYTSd4

http://youtu.be/ThSyhJzrCEU

My own belief on this question advocates for the notion that you honor all the Armed Forces [Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines] by singing this song as close as possible to the original version. My father served in Korea. I had relatives serve in Normandy during WWII. You don't disrespect them and their fallen comrades and brothers in arms by drastically modifying and tarnishing what that song really stands for and the blood shed to keep American citizens safe and secure stateside. A musician or singer cannot treat the National Anthem like a new DJ mix at a hip hop dance club.

Either a singer can understand the gravity and significance of that song or they can't. Either way, please show your respect to the men and women serving overseas by maintaining the National Anthem's original score with zero modifications or vinyl club remixes. I like Queen Latifah as a person and actress, but if you can't sing the song at all just admit it please and let the NFL actually find a performer who can sing the number flawlessly. Thank you.

I am certainly open to hearing a different perspective.

My own belief on this question advocates for the notion that you honor all the Armed Forces [Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines] by singing this song as close as possible to the original version. My father served in Korea. I had relatives serve in Normandy during WWII. You don't disrespect them and their fallen comrades and brothers in arms by drastically modifying and tarnishing what that song really stands for and the blood shed to keep American citizens safe and secure stateside. A musician or singer cannot treat the National Anthem like a new DJ mix at a hip hop dance club.

Either a singer can understand the gravity and significance of that song or they can't. Either way, please show your respect to the men and women serving overseas by maintaining the National Anthem's original score with zero modifications or vinyl club remixes. I like Queen Latifah as a person and actress, but if you can't sing the song at all just admit it please and let the NFL actually find a performer who can sing the number flawlessly. Thank you.

I am certainly open to hearing a different perspective.

When i first heard Witney Houston's verison i did not like it . . . it was one of the earlier modified version of the Anthem but now seems tame to some of the newer version . . .

As a traditionalist I prefer a traditional version of the Anthem to be sung . . . one can always add inflections as certain points, but to change the song is something that really bothers me . . .

A lot of people like Witney Houston's version . . . interestingly I found out later that it was a recording she made in a studio and she was lip syncing at the game . . . perhaps why the song is so spot on to what she wanted to accomplish is because she must of done many takes in the studio . . lip syncing the Anthem is another thing that bothers me . .. if you can't sing it live then dont take an offer to sing it . . .

Yeah I agree with you guys.....it frustrates me to no end when I hear someone take the National Anthem and add all their little oooh's, aaah's, and yeahiyeahihea's to it. Queen Latifah didn't add a bunch of that stuff to it, but what's with the drum beat and backing vocals? It's not supposed to be that kind of song. If you want to rock the National Anthem you might as well just have Metallica do it and have a 2 minute guitar solo in the middle of it.

When i first heard Witney Houston's verison i did not like it . . . it was one of the earlier modified version of the Anthem but now seems tame to some of the newer version . . .

As a traditionalist I prefer a traditional version of the Anthem to be sung . . . one can always add inflections as certain points, but to change the song is something that really bothers me . . .

A lot of people like Witney Houston's version . . . interestingly I found out later that it was a recording she made in a studio and she was lip syncing at the game . . . perhaps why the song is so spot on to what she wanted to accomplish is because she must of done many takes in the studio . . lip syncing the Anthem is another thing that bothers me . .. if you can't sing it live then dont take an offer to sing it . . .

I agree 100% Yehoodi. If you can't hit the high notes, please say no and avoid embarrassing yourself. Thank you. And do yourself a favor, performers please recite the song as written in it's traditional form like notes on a music sheet.

As we all eagerly anticipated the start of the NFL season last Wednesday night on September 5, 2012, we sat in front of a TV set or flat screen to watch the Superbowl Champion NY Giants face the Dallas Cowboys. Before the gave could begin, we all waited patiently to hear the U.S. National Anthem being sung by a celebrity to pay tribute to our love for this country and the troops serving abroad overseas to protect our civil liberties. Some individuals selected to carry out this rare duty are quite gifted musically AKA Whitney Houston and some individuals AKA Roseanne Bar either cannot sing well or have not treated this honor with the respect it truly deserves.

Recently, Queen Latifah performed the U.S. National Anthem in MetLife Stadium in New York. Clearly, some artistic license was taken in her vocal rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Here is my question: Should the National Anthem be sung as close as possible to the original version given the historic and symbolic nature of American pride and heritage that this song ultimately represents or Is any form of alteration and creativity allowed during the live performance of this number and why?

After Whitney this is another SB National Anthem I love. These might be the top 2 IMO but I could be forgetting one.

http://youtu.be/ThSyhJzrCEU

At least Queen Latifah and Whitney Houston actually remembered all the words and/or didn't change them like Steven Tyler did at the Indy 500 a while back. Rosanne was a disgrace altogether.

Yeah I agree with you guys.....it frustrates me to no end when I hear someone take the National Anthem and add all their little oooh's, aaah's, and yeahiyeahihea's to it. Queen Latifah didn't add a bunch of that stuff to it, but what's with the drum beat and backing vocals? It's not supposed to be that kind of song. If you want to rock the National Anthem you might as well just have Metallica do it and have a 2 minute guitar solo in the middle of it.

Yes, absolutely right Peytonator.The National Anthem is not a warm up act or vocal scale exercise to be messed with or disrespected cue various musical train wrecks and Roseanne Bar please... :facepalm:

It makes me cringe everytime I hear it. :sigh:

At least Queen Latifah and Whitney Houston actually remembered all the words and/or didn't change them like Steven Tyler did at the Indy 500 a while back. Rosanne was a disgrace altogether.

I agree Gandalf. Forgetting the words to the Natl. Anthem is so sad. Hey Steven Tyler, you were in a legendary rock band called Aerosmith. Did you forget about something called a rehearsal? I wanna remember you like this when they were in their hey day man:

This begs the question, what was the original version?

Lets see (refreshing my memory on Wikipedia). It was a poem, later set to the music of a popular British tune, that wasn't named our national anthem until decades after the death of either original composer. Whose to say what either of them would say about our "original" version.

Music constantly evolves. An armed forces band should probably keep the changes within a certain modest range (every conductor has their own ideas) but it would be sadly ironic to limit the rights of people to vary the method in which they perform a song that symbolizes the fact that they have those rights in the first place.

In my mind it's all good - be it a symphony orchestra, Whitney Houston, or Jimmy Hendrix. I personally am not a fan of all the wavering vocals used by a lot of popular singers to give the impression that they have a better voice than they really do, but I have no interests in having the government forbid them from warbling to their hearts content. It's what the song represents that matters, not the tempo. When musicians keep on trying to do things better, magic can happen.

I think that my personal favorite was Pearl Bailey at a world series in the 70's. A cappella, slow, and oh so powerful. Done like that the pauses between the phrases can move you more than the words themselves. Can make a grown man cry.

If that doesn't, then the F15 flyover surely will. :P

This begs the question, what was the original version?

Lets see (refreshing my memory on Wikipedia). It was a poem, later set to the music of a popular British tune, that wasn't named our national anthem until decades after the death of either original composer. Whose to say what either of them would say about our "original" version.

Music constantly evolves. An armed forces band should probably keep the changes within a certain modest range (every conductor has their own ideas) but it would be sadly ironic to limit the rights of people to vary the method in which they perform a song that symbolizes the fact that they have those rights in the first place.

In my mind it's all good - be it a symphony orchestra, Whitney Houston, or Jimmy Hendrix. I personally am not a fan of all the wavering vocals used by a lot of popular singers to give the impression that they have a better voice than they really do, but I have no interests in having the government forbid them from warbling to their hearts content. It's what the song represents that matters, not the tempo. When musicians keep on trying to do things better, magic can happen.

I think that my personal favorite was Pearl Bailey at a world series in the 70's. A cappella, slow, and oh so powerful. Done like that the pauses between the phrases can move you more than the words themselves. Can make a grown man cry.

If that doesn't, then the F15 flyover surely will. :P

Actually, to take the matter one step further, does the setting take precedence? Veterans of Foreign Wars will tell you that it sure does. The 4th of July, the Stars and Stripes, and the anniversary of our independence from King George III will always be certainly commemorated. The tempo and traditional lone performer singing behind a microphone is what a large number of veterans prefer with basic piano accompaniment. But, I have always wondered: Do other Commissioners from the NBA, NHL, NBL have any opinions on the Natl. Anthem and do they issue any criteria or protocol about the manner in which the song is sung? I have no idea what their philosophy is on that one personally.

In this great Olympic year, there to me is nothing more beautiful than a country's National Anthem. Whether it was Michael Phelps with record breaking medals for the USA, or an Andy Murray Gold Medal for Great Britain in tennis, I love the pride that each anthem creates,(often bringing tears to eye)

I am very traditional in terms of our Anthem. To me, a military band at a National Guard celebration, a military flyover, and a 21 gun salute to our fallen, active, and retired/disabled veterans is the perfect script with the addition of Taps for the 'unknown' soldier.

This has always been a Pet Peeve of mine. The word "banner" has "two" syllables, not 3 or 5 or 15 :sigh:

Nowadays, when watching any sporting event, if my son Ryan is not here with me, and a "less than desireable" rendition of the National Anthem has been sung at the beginning, I know the minute the phone rings it is Ryan calling me to compare thoughts. haha

I believe the National Anthem should sung the way it was MEANT to be sung and NOT tampered with. It is the most powerful IMO done acapella, two syllables in banner, true to form. Great Thread Southwest.

I don't mind it being changed a little bit and I actually liked the way Queen Latifa sang it, I thought she did a very good job. Although (going a little off-track here) I wondered about the #18 jersey also. I did a search and did not see that number anywhere on the Giants or Cowboys team. And what was up with the helicopter flyover? I was all keyed up for the jets. What a let down! :(

I don't like when they butcher it. Please try to make the tune recognizable . . . you are after all singing what represents to us a tribute to our country and as thus should be sang with the respect it deserves. It is not a new pop song that you are trying to make the number one hit on the charts.

I can not stand when a so called professional singer takes the National Anthem and completely butcher's it by adding their own ooh's and aah's to it. It's disgusting and IMO completely disrespectful. Sing the song the way it was meant to be sung or don't sing it at all. With all these renditions that these celebrities add to the song, I personally wish they would just stop doing the National Anthem and have everybody in attendance recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

"EWWWOH, oh sayaya can you see-AH, by da daaaawnz early liiiiight-AH ,YEHEYAAH!!!!"

I believe the National Anthem should sung the way it was MEANT to be sung and NOT tampered with. It is the most powerful IMO done acapella, two syllables in banner, true to form.
I tend to think that any american is free to sing this song as best they can .......because, well it's a free country. I see no disrespect. Traditional is beautiful as well
I can not stand when a so called professional singer takes the National Anthem and completely butcher's it by adding their own ooh's and aah's to it. It's disgusting and IMO completely disrespectful. Sing the song the way it was meant to be sung or don't sing it at all..

You see, debate like this is what I live for. You have the don't mess with tradition crowd, which camp I reside in versus the variety and creativity is the spice of life crowd. I guess that's why I always enjoy watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics just to hear all the Natl. Anthems from around the world. Do other countries undergo similar controversies about their anthems being sung in a traditional format vs. altered format too? Every nation has pride in it's history and citizenry. Sometimes, unfortunately, that fact took often gets ignored, bypassed, or glossed over in the United States of America.

I think your being overly sensitive and it sounded great. She really got into the 'brave' because i think she strongly feels proud of our brave men and women and wanted to show her love for our armed forces. It was clean, deep, and full of heart.

It had a beautiful forceful southern touch. I for one enjoyed it.

Why not? It's a modified (tampered with?) version an English drinking song, not some holy hymn. I appreciate it when people put a creative spin on it.. rugged individualism and all that. We're not a country of automatons so there's no reason that the national anthem should sound like it came from one.

Thanks for the history lesson The cardinal. I always enjoy learning new things.

"The original tune was "To Anacreon in Heaven," an English drinking song written by John Stafford Smith with words by Ralph Tomlinson, Esq. According to tradition it was first "sung at the Crown Anchor Tavern in the Strand, circa 1780." Tomlinson was president of the Anacreontic Society, a gentlemen's club popular with upscale London boozers."

I understand that times evolve, circumstances evolve, and even people evolve so what not songs too right? I believe that the occasion dictates the style of the arrangement used myself. You shouldn't drastically alter "taps" at a military funeral at Arlington National Cemetery would you? Taps should always be Taps based on the somber and melancholy nature of the event. Tradition matters and so does the gravity of the situation in which a song like the Star Spangled Banner in used overall.

A brief history on "Taps." below:

http://youtu.be/38wx8C7VmB4

I think your being overly sensitive and it sounded great. She really got into the 'brave' because i think she strongly feels proud of our brave men and women and wanted to show her love for our armed forces. It was clean, deep, and full of heart.

It had a beautiful forceful southern touch. I for one enjoyed it.

That's perfectly fine Broncolt. I'm glad you enjoyed Queen Latifah's Natl. Anthem version. I prefer tradition while other people find comfort and solace in creativity. Just remember: There is no shame in a person admitting that they can't sing the Natl. Anthem just politely decline the offer if you can't perform the number and always have the exact words in hand to alleviate the horrific trauma of stage fright. I sang in chorus and played percussion in band. I am well aware of timing and high note difficulties myself. We're only human right?

That's perfectly fine Broncolt. I'm glad you enjoyed Queen Latifah's Natl. Anthem version. I prefer tradition while other people find comfort and solace in creativity. Just remember: There is no shame in a person admitting that they can't sing the Natl. Anthem just politely decline the offer if you can't perform the number and always have the exact words in hand to alleviate the horrific trauma of stage fright. I sang in chorus and played percussion in band. I am well aware of timing and high note difficulties myself. We're only human right?

Hey Brother wheres the Roseanne version it was quite stirring as i remember? :bag: :spit:

Hey Brother wheres the Roseanne version it was quite stirring as i remember? :bag: :spit:

haha Yeah I know Jay, sounds like fingers down a chalkboard right? I could only find short snippets of her performance which I did post. She did bring the house down though... :facepalm: :slaphead: :omg: