Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New 2013 Colts Draft (Stockpiling Draft Picks)

This is just my opinion on what we should do with around a 6-10 record...

1st- We need to trade down if a team is really wanting one of these 1st round QBs(Logan Thomas, Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray). Kansas City is a team that could be picking between 15-23 so they are a good match to trade down if they are wanting a future franchise QB.

In the trade we get their 1st, 2nd, and 2014 2nd in exchange for our 1st.

With our new 1st round pick, we select SS Eric Reid from LSU. Now we have one of the better secondaries and a dynamic safety tandem.

With our 2nd round pick acquired via trade, we may have to trade up a little to get this guy. So we give up our new 2nd, and 2014 4th to get an early 2nd. With this pick we fortify our OL by getting OG Travis Frederick from Wisconsin.(Our coaches like Big Ten guys, and Frederick is the latest in a long line of successfull OL from Wisconsin. Would instantly make our Run game better, and would be a mauler for us for many years. Similar to Kevin Zeitler as a prospect but with more size and strength.)

With our 3rd, we stay pat and take the best player available. I would like another CB here to make our secondary rival the Cowboys, or another NT to split time with Chapman. Bottom Line: We need to mostly address defense in this draft, and maybe an OL here or there.

I think the following positions will not need to be addressed in this draft: QB, TE, RB, WR, and LB. (The reason I say WR is because we could very well sign someone in free agency, and we have young talent at the position anyhow.)

protecting Luck should be first , we can always draft a a Safety with great athleticism and size later in the draft and let him learn a year or two while we truly finger out what we have in Tom Zb

The OL depth is greater than the safety depth and Reid is a stud at SS. Thats why I went Reid 1st round, Frederick 2nd round. Frederick is no slouch at OG btw. He is right on par with OG Chance Warmack in my opinion.

The OL depth is greater than the safety depth and Reid is a stud at SS. Thats why I went Reid 1st round, Frederick 2nd round. Frederick is no slouch at OG btw. He is right on par with OG Chance Warmack in my opinion.

Frederick is dang good I'd love to have him on the Colts I want my Right Tackle and Right Guard of the future in my first 2 picks, the quality of the O Line depth is worse then the quality of our Safety depth in my opinion, Lefedged has shown to be ok when given the chance

I think the following positions will not need to be addressed in this draft: QB, TE, RB, WR, and LB. (The reason I say WR is because we could very well sign someone in free agency, and we have young talent at the position anyhow.)

I strongly disagree that WR need not be addressed in this draft. WRs and skill position players can be drafted and made to work in the NFL faster than experienced OGs and DTs, whose positions take longer to transition to the NFL.

Free agency needs to focus on OL and DL. Draft the rest, IMO, based on value.

I would actually drop a few spots and go WR and OL, in that order in the first 2 rounds to get a playmaker for the WR position and franchise OL starter for O-line next.

Warmack is in a class of his own man. I think it goes Warmack, Cooper, than Frederick. T.J. Mcdonald is a stud SS out of USC. We could grab him in the second.

I understand we need more picks, but can we really afford to turn down top 10-15 talent to move back into the 20's? I'm not so sure we can afford to do that at this point unless the deal we get is outrageous.

I agree, many are infatuated with the popularized trend of trading down because we need more picks. Trading down is just a tool in the bag for what the draft gives you that day - not a plan going in. The most difficult player in football to draft or develop is a dominant disruptive DT/DE in the mold of Ngata. This may be the highest we pick in the next 15 years, and if one of those grades as a worthy talent you don't trade back. Yes, you can draft really good players for the D line later, and needs can be addressed in free agency, but Ngata types (with good attitudes) are rarely available in free agency - you have to draft them. If this is our chance - that is my top priority, within a BPA concept. There is no reason to be locked in on need in the first round, ever. I hope they are only locked in on drafting players in the first round that, in our system, project to be pro bowlers and have the athletic ability to become hall of famers. If that is the standard, you don't draft Donald Brown in the first round - it becomes easy to duck that train on the way by.

I understand we need more picks, but can we really afford to turn down top 10-15 talent to move back into the 20's? I'm not so sure we can afford to do that at this point unless the deal we get is outrageous.

Yes.... and No. It depends on the draft.

In most drafts, there isn't as much of a fall-off as you might think between drafting 15th and 22nd. And it all depends on what you need.

I'm in favor of trading back for several reason.

1. We need to acquire picks because....

2. .... we have so many needs....

3. I think we want an OT and I think there will be one to our liking if we trade back. It looks like this is a position of both quality and quantity this coming draft.

4. If not OT, then I certainly think there will be a player at another position of need to our liking

Some other thoughts....

Perhaps the most common mistake that people who like to follow the draft make is this..... they tend to think that every team is working off a list that looks reasonably the same. So, you'll often read a comment from a fan that says..... "How could my team by-pass player A when he's ranked so much higher than the player they took, player B??"

The answer is..... because that player is not ranked by your team. They like player B more than player A. It happens all the time. Judging talent is subjective. It's a beauty contest. 5 guys in a room and they all think the woman they love the most is easily the most beautiful. Someone likes the blonde, someone likes the brunette, someone likes the Asian, someone likes the Latina.... and so on. And each guy can't believe the choice of the other guy.

Same with football. Certain players are clearly and obviously the best at their position. But once you get past the obvious guy, the next group might all have a very similar grade. For example, the 4th best WR might have a similar grade to the 2nd. If that's the case, and you don't care which, trade back, get more picks and take the 4th best WR.

This is always a good topic.... and I only want the Colts to trade back if they think there is real talent lower in the first round. I'm not looking to trade back just for trading's sake. But we need picks to fill our needs. I think trading back makes the most sense.

Grigson has shown he's got a real eye for talent. I'd like him to acquire more picks so he can select more player.

Just my two cents....

switching to a 3-4, I'd be surprised if at least one LB isn't drafted

Maybe later in the draft sure, but we will have at least Mathis, Hughes, and Addison at DE/OLB. Thats pretty good since Hughes and Addison have been playing well as of late. If they keep it up, there is no reason to draft OLBs early.

I say if we dont trade down and we get say a pick 7-12, we should take the best player available. Players like WR Keenan Allen and NT Star Lotulelei come to mind. If we trade down and hopefully get an extra 2nd in the process if not more, then we should target guys like SS Eric Reid, OG Chance Warmack, CB Xavier Rhodes.

Maybe later in the draft sure, but we will have at least Mathis, Hughes, and Addison at DE/OLB. Thats pretty good since Hughes and Addison have been playing well as of late. If they keep it up, there is no reason to draft OLBs early.

I say if we dont trade down and we get say a pick 7-12, we should take the best player available. Players like WR Keenan Allen and NT Star Lotulelei come to mind. If we trade down and hopefully get an extra 2nd in the process if not more, then we should target guys like SS Eric Reid, OG Chance Warmack, CB Xavier Rhodes.

well if you're talking about the top 3 rounds or so, then sure, but your OP made a generalized statement on the whole draft. My opinion is that LB needs to be perhaps your deepest position on the team if you're running a 3-4. If a LB is there in the top rounds and is at the top of the draft board - and you're drafting best available, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

free agents:

1. mike wallace - wr

2. cary williams (tracy porter or mike jenkins are options, i prefer williams) - cb

3. sam shields - cb (to be are nickel back - he is a rfa not sure how this works) = powers is a free agent in 2014, i believe

4. kraig urbik - og - belive he can play center also

draft : trade back in the first

1. Barret Jones - og / c alabama

2. Margus Hunt - de smu

3. Seantrel henderson - rt miami

4. Baker Steinkuhler - de nebraska

5. Ray Ray Armstrong - ss Faulkner - (comp pick for garcon)

6. Travis Bond - og unc - (comp pick for saturday)

7. Vaughn Telemaque - fs miami - ( comp pick for tamme)

not sure if i'm right about the comp picks

nt - i am hopeful that mckinney, chapman and anunoby can make a good rotation

olb - think hughes, addison, brown can step up

ilb - wil get edds back and don't mind the other ilb's we have

Free Agents:

1. Mike Wallace - WR

2. Cary Williams (Tracy Porter or Mike Jenkins are options, i prefer Williams) - CB

3. Sam Shields - CB (to be are nickel back - he is a rfa not sure how this works) Powers is a free agent in 2014 I believe

4. Kraig Urbik - OG - I believe he can play center also

Draft: Trade back in the first.

1. OG Chance Warmack Bama

2. WR Aaron Dobson Marshall or WR Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee

3. SS T.J. Mcdonald USC

4. RB De'Anthony Thomas Oregon

5. OLB Trevardo Williams UCONN

6. OT Xavier Nixon Florida

7. DE Omar Hunter Florida

antonio johnson has outplayed all our nt's? we haven't even seen chapman play, mckinney very little, anunoby very little, plus it was preseason. i have seen enough of johnson over the years.

your talking about Johnson in the 4-3, we dont know if Chapman will ever be the same as he was in Alabama (I hope he is), and yes Johnson completely outplayed Mckinney (Mckinney was out there almost if not as much as Johnson was before Mckinney got injured) at the 6:11 mark of the second quarter vs the Redskins on a little hop step he did he landed wrong, However The Redskins game is a good example of Johnsons play, He gave Montgomery problems every time he was out there and just to make it clear, I did say SO FAR but it doesn't make it any less true