Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy Acts Like They Know Peyton Will Play

bayone

You know we haven't tried running the ball much in the pre-season and at first I was like what are they doing this would be the perfect time to try it out. Then after I thought about it three things came to mind. 1. The Colts might just not want to show anything off yet. 2. They are probably trying to get an honest feel on if Painter can make the passes needed in our offense (so far this is a fail IMO) or 3. They just aren't that good when it comes to running the ball. Hopefully it's not the last.

I had been thinking pretty much the same thing. How many backs are we gonna end up carrying? It's clear we're not going to have a passing game in the preseason, and the line needs to get better at run blocking while trying to come up with the actual lineup anyway, why not have a decent running game waiting for Manning to take over. Heck, put Addai out there as quarterback for some of it, he's got a better passer rating in actual game play than Painter!lol :banana:

By Blue Sunday as referenced in article 2 by 18 to 88

The Colts are doing everything they can to reassure you without actually saying the words, all you have to do is look at what they are doing on offense.

In past preseasons for whatever reason the offensive line has been a shamble when Manning leaves the game.

This preseason has been completely different. The offensive line has been the best unit on the team, both 1st and 2nd strings.

This last game I think I counted eight of the first nine passing plays were either a screen, swing pass or dump off. And most of them looked like that was the called play - not that every downfield reciever was covered.

several reasons this might be going on. It could be because of the revolving door at WR. It could be simple incompetence by the non-Manning QBs in the game. It could be that they are just trying to stay as vanilla as possible.

Or it could be that they know that Manning will be in there week one and they are not even practicing a non-Manning offense in camp.

"Yes, but do you think mom will buy it?"

They are about 95% running the play that is called in the huddle. Huddle. That's right, they are huddling on every play.

Say what you will, but if the Colts truly thought that there was a chance that Manning was not going to be ready week one, they would be putting a heck of a lot more effort into running a viable NFL offense.

My link

18 to 88

I want to call attention to this piece by Scott Bolander on Blue Sunday. In it, he argues the Colts act like a team that knows Manning will play week one.

I made this same point on the radio yesterday.

If there was any chance at all Manning wasn't going to play, the Colts should be spending all their time building a run-heavy two tight end offense to take pressure off a veteran backup.

The fact is that the Colts have come out throwing more often than not. The Colts offense doesn't resemble the kind of system that would promote low-scoring tight victories.

If Manning does miss time, then the Colts have done a seriously poor job of preparing for the event. The fact that they are prepping the way they are with the players they have at quarterback means that they are either totally incompetent or simply completely convinced Manning is coming back.

I believe they know what so many seem to be saying: there's absolutely no chance Manning misses week one.

My link

\

Cant see how he will be sharp ,as in 08 he even said it took 5-6 games before he felt right and then at least he threw some in practice during though didnt play in preseason

In 08 Peyton wasn't with the team in training camp at all. He was hid away from everyone. At least this camp he was there, on the sideline helping the players.

Peyton also didn't practice until Monday before the opening game that year against the bears.

If he can get back this week or next to at least practice and do the walk-through that will help. He said he won't play in any preseason games this year. But will we actually hear when Peyton is back at practice? With the way the Colts do things? Probably not, and that is fine with me. I just hope he is a go week 1.

If one 286yd game in college makes you good than every college qb would be in the NFL. Curtis Painter is horrible and doesn't transmit any confidence when he's out there. He's just a waste of time.

You dont know much about painter do you? I figured you knew painter was just progressing from his freshman year when he had a big jump in his junior year with 29td n 11ints and for his senior year everyone was expecting huge numbers from him because all he HAD done was progress and get better, but after his first senior game everything just fell apart causing them to bench him later on in the season. Something went wrong there maybe his line idk but whatever it was it cause him to get benched.

Its the playcalling man, didnt you read the article? maybe one of the reasons why some of the receivers werent getting any seperation. if you noticed as soon as orlovsky came in the play calling changed. I aint trying to find an excuse for painter but painter hasnt done anything horrible that fans should call for his head this preseason. I think he's getting better, they just gotta open the playbook.

More often then not i tend to agree with you on topics, but not this one. The play book is open, Painter has been practicing with the first team offense for a month. Unlike Dan O who was recently signed a few weeks ago. Playcalling has nothing to do with it. He just needs to relax in the pocket and stop getting flustered so easily, that seems to be his biggest problem he looks scared in the pocket, especially on third down

More often then not i tend to agree with you on topics, but not this one. The play book is open, Painter has been practicing with the first team offense for a month. Unlike Dan O who was recently signed a few weeks ago. Playcalling has nothing to do with it. He just needs to relax in the pocket and stop getting flustered so easily, that seems to be his biggest problem he looks scared in the pocket, especially on third down

Most of the plays i noticed for painter were pass plays that were short nothing over 20yds. Now that may be cause painter never saw anything down field but your right no denying he does look uncomfortable sometimes.