Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy Acts Like They Know Peyton Will Play

bayone

By Blue Sunday as referenced in article 2 by 18 to 88

The Colts are doing everything they can to reassure you without actually saying the words, all you have to do is look at what they are doing on offense.

In past preseasons for whatever reason the offensive line has been a shamble when Manning leaves the game.

This preseason has been completely different. The offensive line has been the best unit on the team, both 1st and 2nd strings.

This last game I think I counted eight of the first nine passing plays were either a screen, swing pass or dump off. And most of them looked like that was the called play - not that every downfield reciever was covered.

several reasons this might be going on. It could be because of the revolving door at WR. It could be simple incompetence by the non-Manning QBs in the game. It could be that they are just trying to stay as vanilla as possible.

Or it could be that they know that Manning will be in there week one and they are not even practicing a non-Manning offense in camp.

They are about 95% running the play that is called in the huddle. Huddle. That's right, they are huddling on every play.

Say what you will, but if the Colts truly thought that there was a chance that Manning was not going to be ready week one, they would be putting a heck of a lot more effort into running a viable NFL offense.

My link

18 to 88

I want to call attention to this piece by Scott Bolander on Blue Sunday. In it, he argues the Colts act like a team that knows Manning will play week one.

I made this same point on the radio yesterday.

If there was any chance at all Manning wasn't going to play, the Colts should be spending all their time building a run-heavy two tight end offense to take pressure off a veteran backup.

The fact is that the Colts have come out throwing more often than not. The Colts offense doesn't resemble the kind of system that would promote low-scoring tight victories.

If Manning does miss time, then the Colts have done a seriously poor job of preparing for the event. The fact that they are prepping the way they are with the players they have at quarterback means that they are either totally incompetent or simply completely convinced Manning is coming back.

I believe they know what so many seem to be saying: there's absolutely no chance Manning misses week one.

My link

I hadn't thought about that angle. Might be a bit on the rosy side. Don't get me wrong, I think there's less than a 1% chance Manning doesn't play Week 1. But I think the reason the staff seemed to restrict the quarterbacks in the most recent game is because they showed no ability to throw the ball downfield, and even overthrew receivers across the middle. So instead of taking chances in meaningless preseason games, let's see if they can establish a rhythm, take some pressure off the offensive line in pass protection, and let our receivers at least get their hands on some balls in these exhibitions. And maybe that will lend itself to some confidence on everyone's part, and then maybe we can actually evaluate some of these players at other positions. Everyone knows we don't have any world beaters at backup quarterback. At this point, we should be looking at our offensive line situation and seeing what roles our backs are going to play, all while putting a premium on keeping our key players healthy.

I saw this article earlier today. I couldn't agree more. I have been convinced all off-season that Peyton will play in week 1. I think they are just trying not to give the Texans any ideas on how he is really feeling. Pretty much with as poorly as our two backup QBs have played, if we haven't brought in someone by now we won't be bringing anyone in. Having said that, I believe they think Peyton will play regardless. Lets just hope is 100% or at least close to 100% so we can jump to an early division lead.

Too much logic here

i agree too but if manning does miss some time i think we will can still score. we have a top 2 TE, a top 5 WR, and a good running back with an improved offensive line and on the defensive side we have made many improvements(signings,draft,etc.)our corners might not be nown but they are good. we know we have good LBers,DEs,and safeties i think the only problem is still DT which has a injury prone 28 yr old and a small NT. our only other problem would be depth at other positions like safety,wide reciever

I saw this article earlier today. I couldn't agree more. I have been convinced all off-season that Peyton will play in week 1. I think they are just trying not to give the Texans any ideas on how he is really feeling. Pretty much with as poorly as our two backup QBs have played, if we haven't brought in someone by now we won't be bringing anyone in. Having said that, I believe they think Peyton will play regardless. Lets just hope is 100% or at least close to 100% so we can jump to an early division lead.

Its not about keeping a secret from the Texans. The And do actually believe the Texans are that dumb of an organization to fall for that? Colts do this with every injury we have. Every year this board gets filled up with multiple posts guessing whats wrong with player X. This topic needs to die already. Manning isn't going to miss a game.

Finally, a voice of reason.

This is about the smartest thread we've seen in three weeks. :coltshorse:

Thanks ,, I think the last one i posted u thought was a waste, may have been someone else though, whatever , Doesnt really matter who had said that, we all can have our own opinions as long as expressed diplomatically

Thanks again my friend & go Colts

I hope Manning doesnt miss. However, I dont think the Colts are doing poor job if he does. Painter cant even make a simple screen pass. So why try even more complicated offense schemes? They are trying to just get Painter reps. They have to keep Painter within his style of play right now that isnt much. Im sure the Colts might be looking at a vet QB to be safe.I am waiting for week 1 to get started already.

If the colts were trying to get painter in his style of play they would have been letting him sling it, i have no idea why the colts were calling all these short yardage plays. It very well could have been to bring up the confidence of those QB's. TBH i wouldnt read into what the colts nor any article say about any injury of peyton, does anybody here remember what the colts said about gonzo's injury the first time he got injured? Peyton will try to play week one but i wouldnt be surprised if he misses time cause of the injury.

If the colts were trying to get painter in his style of play they would have been letting him sling it, i have no idea why the colts were calling all these short yardage plays. It very well could have been to bring up the confidence of those QB's. TBH i wouldnt read into what the colts nor any article say about any injury of peyton, does anybody here remember what the colts said about gonzo's injury the first time he got injured? Peyton will try to play week one but i wouldnt be surprised if he misses time cause of the injury.

If they were trying to implement an offense Painter could run, it would be more run heavy..

If they were trying to implement an offense Painter could run, it would be more run heavy..

I dont think so, painter slung it in college and he's gonna do it here. I think the colts were going about it the right way in the skins game, build up his confidence though he wasnt completing all of his passes but then again what QB does.

I dont think so, painter slung it in college and he's gonna do it here. I think the colts were going about it the right way in the skins game, build up his confidence though he wasnt completing all of his passes but then again what QB does.

Wasnt compketing all of his passes? He has barely completed half of his passes.. If not for a great catch by Garcon in the Rams game he would be below 50%.

This isnt the BIG 10 and didnt he get benched at one point his senior year? If the Colts FO truly believed Peyton wouldnt be ready, they would have picked up someone else... Heck.. ANYONE ELSE!!!

How exactly does gaining only one first down and having the ball for less than 7 minutes in an entire half of football build up his confidence?

i agree too but if manning does miss some time i think we will can still score. we have a top 2 TE, a top 5 WR, and a good running back with an improved offensive line and on the defensive side we have made many improvements(signings,draft,etc.)our corners might not be nown but they are good. we know we have good LBers,DEs,and safeties i think the only problem is still DT which has a injury prone 28 yr old and a small NT. our only other problem would be depth at other positions like safety,wide reciever

If Peyton doesn't play, maybe we could score if the opponent fumbled a kickoff or something like that. The Colts are a total mess without Peyton. Other than QB with Peyton, every position is a problem, unless Collie is healthy (he's good, real good).

Media is overblowing the situation, Peyton will play, but he won't be that ready.

I think everyone is overlooking this possibility. People are assuming that he will be sharp right out of the gate. I don't know if thats the case.....

Wasnt compketing all of his passes? He has barely completed half of his passes.. If not for a great catch by Garcon in the Rams game he would be below 50%.

This isnt the BIG 10 and didnt he get benched at one point his senior year? If the Colts FO truly believed Peyton wouldnt be ready, they would have picked up someone else... Heck.. ANYONE ELSE!!!

Why you over exaggerating? he was 3-6 in the rams game and 5-10 in the skins game... in painters senior season his first game he had a 286yd game and after that things just went down hill, idk what happened. I do know painter has skills thats for sure, cant no one who is neutral about the guy can deny that.

Why you over exaggerating? he was 3-6 in the rams game and 5-10 in the skins game... in painters senior season his first game he had a 286yd game and after that things just went down hill, idk what happened. I do know painter has skills thats for sure, cant no one who is neutral about the guy can deny that.

Where i went to school 3-6+5-10= 50%

I think everyone is overlooking this possibility. People are assuming that he will be sharp right out of the gate. I don't know if thats the case.....

\

Cant see how he will be sharp ,as in 08 he even said it took 5-6 games before he felt right and then at least he threw some in practice during though didnt play in preseason

\

Cant see how he will be sharp ,as in 08 he even said it took 5-6 games before he felt right and then at least he threw some in practice during though didnt play in preseason

I think he's going to struggle out of the gate, I just hope our running game has improved enough that Manning doesn't have shoulder the weight he did in 08.

How exactly does gaining only one first down and having the ball for less than 7 minutes in an entire half of football build up his confidence?

Its the playcalling man, didnt you read the article? maybe one of the reasons why some of the receivers werent getting any seperation. if you noticed as soon as orlovsky came in the play calling changed. I aint trying to find an excuse for painter but painter hasnt done anything horrible that fans should call for his head this preseason. I think he's getting better, they just gotta open the playbook.

I think he's going to struggle out of the gate, I just hope our running game has improved enough that Manning doesn't have shoulder the weight he did in 08.

It needs to improve a whole lot. 1.5 ypc isn't going to help Manning a bit. Honestly, it looks to me like is going to need to carry even more of the load than he did back then.

It needs to improve a whole lot. 1.5 ypc isn't going to help Manning a bit. Honestly, it looks to me like is going to need to carry even more of the load than he did back then.

You know we haven't tried running the ball much in the pre-season and at first I was like what are they doing this would be the perfect time to try it out. Then after I thought about it three things came to mind. 1. The Colts might just not want to show anything off yet. 2. They are probably trying to get an honest feel on if Painter can make the passes needed in our offense (so far this is a fail IMO) or 3. They just aren't that good when it comes to running the ball. Hopefully it's not the last.

If one 286yd game in college makes you good than every college qb would be in the NFL. Curtis Painter is horrible and doesn't transmit any confidence when he's out there. He's just a waste of time.

You know we haven't tried running the ball much in the pre-season and at first I was like what are they doing this would be the perfect time to try it out. Then after I thought about it three things came to mind. 1. The Colts might just not want to show anything off yet. 2. They are probably trying to get an honest feel on if Painter can make the passes needed in our offense (so far this is a fail IMO) or 3. They just aren't that good when it comes to running the ball. Hopefully it's not the last.

OK I'll grant you that the Colt #1s only tried to run 8 times but you'd think they could at least pop enough of a hole to get at least 2-3 ypc. 1.5 ypc is a very troubling stat to me. A team should be able to do 1.5 doing nothing but sneaking the quarterback.

OK I'll grant you that the Colt #1s only tried to run 8 times but you'd think they could at least pop enough of a hole to get at least 2-3 ypc. 1.5 ypc is a very troubling stat to me.

It would be to me as well if we had a legit QB running the show.. They can stack the box and still not be worried about Painter beating them

By Blue Sunday as referenced in article 2 by 18 to 88

The Colts are doing everything they can to reassure you without actually saying the words, all you have to do is look at what they are doing on offense.

In past preseasons for whatever reason the offensive line has been a shamble when Manning leaves the game.

This preseason has been completely different. The offensive line has been the best unit on the team, both 1st and 2nd strings.

This last game I think I counted eight of the first nine passing plays were either a screen, swing pass or dump off. And most of them looked like that was the called play - not that every downfield reciever was covered.

several reasons this might be going on. It could be because of the revolving door at WR. It could be simple incompetence by the non-Manning QBs in the game. It could be that they are just trying to stay as vanilla as possible.

Or it could be that they know that Manning will be in there week one and they are not even practicing a non-Manning offense in camp.

They are about 95% running the play that is called in the huddle. Huddle. That's right, they are huddling on every play.

Say what you will, but if the Colts truly thought that there was a chance that Manning was not going to be ready week one, they would be putting a heck of a lot more effort into running a viable NFL offense.

My link

18 to 88

I want to call attention to this piece by Scott Bolander on Blue Sunday. In it, he argues the Colts act like a team that knows Manning will play week one.

I made this same point on the radio yesterday.

If there was any chance at all Manning wasn't going to play, the Colts should be spending all their time building a run-heavy two tight end offense to take pressure off a veteran backup.

The fact is that the Colts have come out throwing more often than not. The Colts offense doesn't resemble the kind of system that would promote low-scoring tight victories.

If Manning does miss time, then the Colts have done a seriously poor job of preparing for the event. The fact that they are prepping the way they are with the players they have at quarterback means that they are either totally incompetent or simply completely convinced Manning is coming back.

I believe they know what so many seem to be saying: there's absolutely no chance Manning misses week one.

My link

Good articles.

The few things I took away from it:

1) Peyton will play unless he's dead (to quote Dungy). Even if he's not 100% (which is likely) he'll still be 1000x better than the alternatives.

2) Offensive line was the best unit? It looked improved to me, but I don't know if I'd go that far. I'd like to hear Coffeedrinker's take on it, if he ever heads this way....

Media is overblowing the situation, Peyton will play, but he won't be that ready.

I agree with this statement. I think the Colts will most likely lose the opener to the Texans regardless of whether or not Manning plays. It will take some time for him to find his groove. Manning obsesses over running those offseason route-trees with his receivers during the off-season to perfect timing and build chemistry. I have a hard time seeing how he will not show the effects of not being able to adhere to his typical offseason routine. I expect that he will be rusty coming out of the gate but I do believe that he will round into form as the season progresses provided he can remain healthy.

The clearest indicator that the Colts think Manning will play in the opener is to see when they take him off the PUP list. My understanding is that, if he is on the list at the start of the season, he can not come off it until game #6. If he comes off it before the season, he can play right away, but will take a couple of weeks to get into "football" shape. It is also my understanding that while he is on the PUP list, he can rehab with the team, but can not practice at all with the team.

That would say to me that if he does not come off the list by this coming Saturday, he will not have enough time to get into football shape and practice with the team.

If I am wrong on how the PUP rules work, let me know, otherwise look to see what happens this week.

The clearest indicator that the Colts think Manning will play in the opener is to see when they take him off the PUP list. My understanding is that, if he is on the list at the start of the season, he can not come off it until game #6. If he comes off it before the season, he can play right away, but will take a couple of weeks to get into "football" shape. It is also my understanding that while he is on the PUP list, he can rehab with the team, but can not practice at all with the team.

That would say to me that if he does not come off the list by this coming Saturday, he will not have enough time to get into football shape and practice with the team.

If I am wrong on how the PUP rules work, let me know, otherwise look to see what happens this week.

There's no way he's on the PUP list at the beginning of the year. Why would they keep him there? There's absolutely no reason to. At worst, they'll take him off the list and either not play him or play him sparingly.

There's no way he's on the PUP list at the beginning of the year. Why would they keep him there? There's absolutely no reason to. At worst, they'll take him off the list and either not play him or play him sparingly.

I am not saying they will leave him on the list until the start of the season. What I said was that when he comes off the list is a clear indicator as to whether or not he will play in the first game. If he stays on the list through next week, there is very little chance he will start game one because he can not practice at all with the team until he comes off the list.

If he does not practice with the team prior to game one, I doubt he will play in game one.

I am not saying they will leave him on the list until the start of the season. What I said was that when he comes off the list is a clear indicator as to whether or not he will play in the first game. If he stays on the list through next week, there is very little chance he will start game one because he can not practice at all with the team until he comes off the list.

If he does not practice with the team prior to game one, I doubt he will play in game one.

I gotcha.

Post of the day! "Heck Anyone Else" :yes: