Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good And Bad From Preseason Vs Redskins

Coffeedrinker

than an, "I can run the team better than the front office." I have not rewatched the game yet so when I do I may change some of the things, but I did watch several plays, several times so I could see what each player was doing.

The good

The starting offensive line as individual players did pretty well. Reitz was, IMO, the best olineman that day but, AC, Saturday Pollack and Diem all did well. The biggest issue I saw was not with technique or understanding who to block, it was more an issue of working together more. For example on one play that stands out in my mind on the left side. AC took the DE. There was no one over Reitz and Saturday engaged the DT. At the snap the DE took a step to the inside and the DT over Saturday took a step toward Reitz. Reitz got a hand on both the DE and DT. The DE then changed direction and looped to the outside, when Reitz saw that, he over committed to the DT which left a huge hole in Reitz' zone in which a LB came through and was able to pressure Painter. Once they work together for a bit longer AC, Reitz and Saturday will all know how the other is going to react and be able to adust their guys better so that hole does not develop in the zone. I also want to point out, I think Reitz is going to be an excellent pulling/trapping guard. He has good quickness and good feet and msot importantly he is showing the ability to chase and lock on to a moving target on the 2nd level. We could see the Colts reinstitute the stretch play and the play action pass off the stretch play.

Dallas Clark - Man it was good to see him catch a pass, run take a hit and even fall on the injured hand with nothing bad happening.

Drake Nevis - When Nevis played against the Redskins first unit he looked more human that super human but he was still disruptive and received most of the attention on double teams. Against the 2nd and third stringers he looked like a man among boys. IN two games now Nevis has provided pressure that cause the QB to throw the ball into the ground and yet neither was called for intentional grounding, does anyone know why? It's my understanding that for it to NOT be intentional grounding the QB has to be outside the pocket and has to throw the ball past the LOS. Neither of those scenarios happened (let alone both) and yet no flag.

Moala - Moala played an outstanding game, perhaps the best game of his career with the Colts. he was getting off the ball quickly, occupying his gap, taking on double teams, getting good penetration. I would really like to see Nevis and Moala on the field at the same time.

KT - Kevin Thomas - Had another outstanding game. Tackled well, covered well. You can't tell from the TV angle what he does on every play but I do know they only threw to his side of the field three times and had one reception for about 2 yards. The other two he had defended well. I think the Colts should try him in place of Lacey, who really did nothing in the game.

Mathews - Mathews also had an excellent game. Last week I compared him to the Tasmanian Devil saying he was disruptive, active but didn't really affect any plays. That was not the case this game. He was disruptive, active and did have an affect on the plays. I really thin the Colts are going to have a strong DT rotation with Nevis, Moala, Mookie, Mathews and probably Foster. If Nevis and Mathews play in the last two preseason games the way they played against the Redskins I think the Colts will say bye to Harris.

Brayton - The old man showed he is still very quick off the ball and very strong. For less than a weeks worth of practices he did well. Once he learns his assignments better he will be a good DE for the Colts.

Carter - Really did some thing that reminded me of Edge, drove it to the line and there just made a series of small, almost undetectable movements to prevent from getting tackled and then wehn it opened up had the quickness and vision to take advantage of it. Would like to see him work a little with the starting unit.

The bad -

The starting LBers, all three. I understand the Colts D is a very disciplined D and each player has their responsibility and if they don't do their job then it could lead to big plays. BUt that being said, it's still football and the only job for a defender is to tackle the guy with the ball. It doesn't do any good if you're maintaining your gap if you watch the ball carrier run right past you. As good as the front four played for most of the game the LBers (both starting and back-ups) played that bad. And a note to the LBers... it's okay to move around in your zone based on what is happening in the play. I really don't think the Coaches want you to get to the center point of your zone and stand there until the ball goes flying over your head.

The QBs - It's been talked about so I won't add much and despite his one nice pass that Smith dropped I think Painter outplayed Orlavsky and here's why. Painter would scan the field, go through his progressions and then make a bad pass. Orlavsky would lock onto a receiver at the snap and then make a bad pass.

Linkenbach, Toudouze and Richard - Worst case of attempted blocking I have ever witnessed in a professional football game. Link played RT after Diem left ands he got abused every single play. If it was a pass play his guy ran around him, if it was a run play his guy would knock him on the ground and then go make the play. Richard would snap the ball and by the time he got into a good blocking position his guy was in the backfield making a play. Toudouze was even worse than the other two, he would not even help Orlavsky up after his guy crushed him, at least Link and Richard would at least help O off the ground after their guys knocked him to the turf.

Players that did okay but nothing great.

McClendon - Played a good game but he has a tendency to over commit to the inside of his zone leaving a huge gap. I saw Reitz do the same thing a couple of times so maybe that is how they are taught... if so, Metz needs to get that straightened out. Did good run blocking and mediocre pass blocking.

Tepper - Did not see a step up from the 1st game, looked about the same.

Hughes/Chick - Both seemed to do their job but nothing spectacular from either and I really wish some DE for the Colts (and yes this includes Freeney and Mathis) would learn how to recognize a boot leg and defend it. One thing Chick did that was great was his special teams play, he got down the field in a hurry and had a good line to the ball carrier each time. He will make the team this year just for his special teams play.

Powers - Powers was solid in man coverage but a little weak in his zone a couple of times. It looks like he's just starting to get into football shape so that's good.

Lefeged - Came in for Bethea when he pulled up with a hammy. Didn't make any huge mistakes (which for a rook in his 2nd game is really good) but was a step slow in reacting on most plays which is to be expected.

Ijalana - Came in after Link played RT and did much better than Link, although didn't do anything great. Didn't show great power in run blocking and did an adquate job in pass pro.

Players whom I think took a step back from week 1

Wheeler - Against the Rams he was decisive,shed blocks, made tackles and just played really well. Against the redskins he didn't get his hands on the blockers, so he was engulfed, was very indecisive and I don't think he was in position very often to make a tackle.

Conner - Did not have a good game, was out of position, did not follow the ball and looked like he had stone feet covering his zone.

John Gill - Still showed his strength and quickness but he didn't get rid of any blockers and therefore was not able to make many plays. Did play both DE adn DT.

Ogbu - Don't get me wrong, I think he played well in both games but against the Redskins he would have one really good play and then take a couple of plays off.

In conclusion, assuming Manning comes back for Week 1, I think this is developing into a 13 or 14 win team.

Nice summary. I'm really looking forward to seeing our offensive line grow and mature. I feel Reitz and Costanzo can be a very powerful force once they get some experience and develop some chemistry together.

I think Nevis didn't get the intentional grounding call was because the QB was protesting that he threw it at the feet of a RB that was in the vicinity (I do not agree with that statement though).

I have not re-watched the game and I probably won't, but I remember Conner making some good hits for us. I did not pay much attention to him as I was primarily watching the D-line, but I hope he works on the downsides you mentioned. I think he can be a great contributor for us.

Finally, I completely agree that Chick will make the team for his special teams abilities alone. It's just icing on the cake that he is making strides and improving as a DE. I hope Harris still makes the team because I'm still not entirely sold on Matthews. I love our depth on the D-line and I think Harris can mentor some of the younger guys. However, I'm not sure he is worth the $1.2M contract he signed for this year. I hope Harris shows the organization flashes of his former self on a few plays in the next 2 games.

I agree with mostly everything you said, but I didnt hear you mention Javarris James I felt he ran very well. Carter had the uh and ah runs, but James was very good IMO. Between the back up QBs Dan-O is better even with lack of knowledge of what he is doing at times. I hope Peyton is back in time.DL was very good very impress. Hughes is not as bad as everyone says he is. I think his stance is a little weird though looks like his squatting. Compare it to Chick and you'll see what I'm talking about. Punting was good coverage suck and we could see how well or bad are returners are. Moore did have a good return though. Moten is really good. Conner is a beast. Want to see Sims to see whose better. Overall performance was a little better than the first game.

I agree with mostly everything you said, but I didnt hear you mention Javarris James I felt he ran very well.

James could have been in the did some good and bad category. He had one good run and a nice RAC on the screen pass but he also completely whiffed on one block and just got ran over on another.
Carter had the uh and ah runs, but James was very good IMO. Between the back up QBs Dan-O is better even with lack of knowledge of what he is doing at times.
I don't think Painter is a good QB but there is no way Orlovsky is better in any category other than INTs.
I hope Peyton is back in time.DL was very good very impress. Hughes is not as bad as everyone says he is. I think his stance is a little weird though looks like his squatting. Compare it to Chick and you'll see what I'm talking about. Punting was good coverage suck and we could see how well or bad are returners are. Moore did have a good return though. Moten is really good. Conner is a beast. Want to see Sims to see whose better. Overall performance was a little better than the first game.

Conner, I think is a solid WILL and is improving, he is no where near a "beast". Moten had a nice pick and one nice tackle, the rest of the plays he was out of position, slow to cover his zone and slow to react while the ball was in the air.

Johnson had a good game. Actually, I thought you might have confused Johnson for Moala. I did not go back and watch the game so I will take your word for it. Nor did I watch beyond the first half. From what I did see, I thought Johnson was pretty disruptive. Especially on passing downs.

I thought Brown took a step back from last week. I really want to root for this guy since everyone else seems to hate him. But he threw one of the most pathetic blocks I have seen by a RB. This is from memory so correct me if I am wrong. He was suppose to throw a chip block and then go out and be the check-down receiver. He just kinda of slid by the DE with his shoulder pads.

So far my depth chart at RB is: Addai, Carter, J. James, Brown

Johnson had a good game. Actually, I thought you might have confused Johnson for Moala. I did not go back and watch the game so I will take your word for it. Nor did I watch beyond the first half. From what I did see, I thought Johnson was pretty disruptive. Especially on passing downs.

Mookie had a good game, I mentioned that in another thread but no, I did not confuse Moala and AJ. When Mookie made a play it was when Moala was getting doubled and Mookie was able to beat his man one on one, which was good to see because that was a complaint I had about Mookie last year. He would hold his ground against a double team but one on one he would just hold his ground, he made very few plays when he was one on one.

I thought Brown took a step back from last week. I really want to root for this guy since everyone else seems to hate him. But he threw one of the most pathetic blocks I have seen by a RB. This is from memory so correct me if I am wrong. He was suppose to throw a chip block and then go out and be the check-down receiver. He just kinda of slid by the DE with his shoulder pads.

So far my depth chart at RB is: Addai, Carter, J. James, Brown

There were several of those type of blocks. If the one you are talking about is the one I am thinking of, Brown and DeVree were supposed to double the DE and then Brown was supposed to sneak off to the flat. neither one even got a shoulder pad on the guy and he either got the sack or just forced a quick throw.

My RB depth chart right now would look like this

Addai, Carter, Evans and Spann or Moore (Moore is a better returner, IMO, but Spann offers more as a RB).

I thought the offense was doing alright on the first(?) drive. Nothing special, but okay for not having three of our top four receivers, and of course, no Manning. And then, the wheels came off with the two false starts in a row, and a manageable 3rd down is all of a sudden 3rd and 16, and now we're punting. Would have been nice to see what would have come of that drive if not for the procedural penalties.

Coffee, good analysis. We can agree to disagree on Moala, but I'm glad to read someone besides myself on any of the boards giving Mathews the props he deserves. The guy came on great at the end of last season and is playing with a ton of energy. The majority of the Colts best defensive plays were when Mathews was on the field. At times he plays high and is susceptible to cut blocks, but for the most part he won't be blocked by a single defender and he pushes the pocket against the pass. I know this won't happen because Moala is going to get snaps but I would like to see the dtackle wave look something like this this season:

1st down-Mookie and Mathews

2nd down-Mathews and Nevis

3rd down-Harris and Nevis

I would also like to see Kevin Thomas get some looks in Lacey's place. Lacey should be a dime back.

Good write up Coffee. I wouldn't worry to much about the linebacking core. The

captain on the defense is a linebacker, and he will get it straightened out.

I'm not worried about the LB corps, just doing a summary of what I thought was the good and bad of the game against the Redskins. I don't think the LBers need to be replaced because they did not play well against the Redskins.

Coffee, good analysis. We can agree to disagree on Moala, but I'm glad to read someone besides myself on any of the boards giving Mathews the props he deserves. The guy came on great at the end of last season and is playing with a ton of energy. The majority of the Colts best defensive plays were when Mathews was on the field. At times he plays high and is susceptible to cut blocks, but for the most part he won't be blocked by a single defender and he pushes the pocket against the pass. I know this won't happen because Moala is going to get snaps but I would like to see the dtackle wave look something like this this season:

1st down-Mookie and Mathews

2nd down-Mathews and Nevis

3rd down-Harris and Nevis

I think Mathews had a good game but he's not ready to be getting the majority of snaps yet, especially when you look at his total body of work in the 1st two preseason games. That being said, he did have an excellent game against the Redskins.

And Harris didn't play in the Washington game but in the Rams game he did not look good, I'm not even sure if he will make the final cut.

The way I see it right now, the DT are Mookie, Moala, Nevis and Mathews (Mathews gets the nod because I agree he started to perform at the end of last year) are all locks, with Harris, Foster, Ogbu are fighting for two spots. (yes I think the Colts will keep 6, especially with both Mathews and Moala capable of playing end in a power or short yardage situation.

I'm not worried about the LB corps, just doing a summary of what I thought was the good and bad of the game against the Redskins. I don't think the LBers need to be replaced because they did not play well against the Redskins.

I think Mathews had a good game but he's not ready to be getting the majority of snaps yet, especially when you look at his total body of work in the 1st two preseason games. That being said, he did have an excellent game against the Redskins.

And Harris didn't play in the Washington game but in the Rams game he did not look good, I'm not even sure if he will make the final cut.

The way I see it right now, the DT are Mookie, Moala, Nevis and Mathews (Mathews gets the nod because I agree he started to perform at the end of last year) are all locks, with Harris, Foster, Ogbu are fighting for two spots. (yes I think the Colts will keep 6, especially with both Mathews and Moala capable of playing end in a power or short yardage situation.

The first time I watched the Rams game, I didn't even notice Harris. When I watched it the 2nd time, I thought he played well. He blew up a 3rd and 1 play and had a QB hit on an incomplete pass. He showed some good swim moves still and can still get after the QB if he plays in a wave system. I think the Colts will start with 10 dlineman to start the season again. Since Foster can play both DT, DE, and fullback I can see the last spot come down to Brayton vs. Anderson.

The first time I watched the Rams game, I didn't even notice Harris. When I watched it the 2nd time, I thought he played well He blew up a 3rd and 1 play and had a QB hit on an incomplete pass..

Yeah, someone pointed out that play to me, so when I watched it again I focused on Harris as much as possible. Outside of that one play, I still didn't see anything impressive.
I think the Colts will start with 10 dlineman to start the season again. Since Foster can play both DT, DE, and fullback I can see the last spot come down to Brayton vs. Anderson.

Before I was just talking about DTs, I think the Colts will have 11 dlineman because Coyer likes to use different packages based on down and distance, 6 DTs and 5 DEs.

It will really be interesting to see what they do with Anderson. Things sounded good in training camp but he got injured before the 1st game and has not played since. I know a lot of people like Foster but, IMO, both Mathews and Gill offer the same as Foster and both of them are bigger and stronger.

I thought the offense was doing alright on the first(?) drive. Nothing special, but okay for not having three of our top four receivers, and of course, no Manning. And then, the wheels came off with the two false starts in a row, and a manageable 3rd down is all of a sudden 3rd and 16, and now we're punting. Would have been nice to see what would have come of that drive if not for the procedural penalties.

Yeah, that was a killer. First Pollack and then Reitz. Pollack's, I thought was close.... I watched it three times and could not tell if Pollack or the defensive player moved first. 99 times out of 100 that will be called against the offense.

Yeah, that was a killer. First Pollack and then Reitz. Pollack's, I thought was close.... I watched it three times and could not tell if Pollack or the defensive player moved first. 99 times out of 100 that will be called against the offense.

I didn't think it was close at all. He even hung his head once the whistles blew. Seemed pretty clear to me that he moved first.

Excellent analysis but I was a little disappointed you omitted Castonzo. I thought he was one of the real nice surprises of the evening. Kerrigan was far more athletic but Castonzo did an excellent job of taking advantage of his momentum and driving him around the pocket. I never saw his assigned opponent near the quarterback even once, a nice job for a rookie in his second game.

Okay, I'm rewatching the game. Here's a break down of each player

1st Play

Washington in a 2-1-2 formation strong right. TE goes in motion from left to right. Run off right tackle Colts are lined up from Defensive Left to Defensive Right

Mathis, Mookie, Moala, Freeney

Bethea, Conner(strong side), Brackett, Angerer (weakside)

Lacey, Powers

Bullitt deep middle

Freeney - Unblocked - Recognizes the run goes down the line makes the tackle for a 1 yard gain.

Moala next to Freeny - Being blocked by the LT but doing a good job pushing the tackle towards the play and then pushed the tackle out of the way but Freeney's already made the tackle.

Mookie - Doubled - pushed back 3 yards and then fights through.

Mathis is doubled by the RT and TE. Pushes them back but has no impact on the play.

Conner is lined up on the strong side, Brackett middle and Angerer on the weak side (I did not notice that first time around)

Angerer flows, fights through a block and would have made the tackle had Freeney not.

Bracket - Hops before flowing to the play (what in the world is that? That cost him a half second) get blocked out of the play by a guard.

Conner - The TE that is doubling Mathis slides off after the RT engages him and takes Conner completely away from the play... drive hims to the side 5 yards before Conner breaks free.

bethea is lined up in the box next to Conner. Shoots in there does a nice spin move on the FB and is in position to make a play but Freeney's already made the tackle.

Bullitt - Playing deep middle - Comes up to support the run but is not needed.

Powers - Follows his WR down the field. Play is to the other side. Note, Powers is playing about 3 yards off the LOS.

Lacey - This one I had to watch several times to make sure what I was seeing it actually what happened. Lacey is playing 6 yards off the LOS, then moves back to 9 yards before the snap then back pedals to 15 yards off the LOS. The WR on that side runs out 10 yards (stops at the first down marker), he's ready to block Lacey but Lacey just stands there 5 yards away from the WR. Finally just as Freeney is making the tackle, Lacey runs forward... he doesn't try to run around the WR he just runs into him and lets the WR block him.

2nd Play - Washington 2 WR set with a 2 TE (balanced) and a single back behind the QB, no motion before the snap, strong side is the defensive right where the 2 WRs are. From the defense left to defense right the line up is

Mathis, Moala, Mookie, Freeney,

Angerer, Brackett, Conner,

Lacey, Powers,

Bethea at the FS and Bullitt at the SS

Freeney gets upfield but is held by the LT (why does whoever is blocking Freeny not get called for holding?) the guy had his arm wrapped around Freeney's neck and he's taken out of the play.

Mookie gets blown back 3 yards by the guard, he does push him aside but then the center is right there to keep him from going anywhere.

Moala is coming down the line, he tosses his blocker away like a rag doll but Mathis knocks his guy to the ground and trips up Moala.

Mathis, see above. Play is away from Mathis.

Conner is blocked and taken out of the play by the WR (yes the wide receiver).

Brackett hesitates at the snap then flows towards the play but is blocked and driven away from the play bu the TE.

Angerer, the RG that blows Mookie off the line then goes and engages Angerer. He doesn't push Angerer back but he keeps him out of the gap.

Lacey, because there is no WR on his side is playing on the line next to Mathis. He is unblocked but runs too far into the backfield and takes himself out of the play.

Powers is with his WR and then starts to chase.

Bullitt comes flying in untouched and should have made the tackle for about a 7 or 8 yard gain but takes a horrible angle and runs right past the RB.

Bethea - A guard #66, actually gets out to block Bethea but he spins away and chases down the RB.

The really sad thing about this is the Colts were stacked to the play side with Conner covering the WR at the left hash about 2 yards off the LOS, Brackett over the LT about 3 yards of the LOS and Angerer over the Center about 4 yards off the LOS. They were in a defensive set to stop a run off LT and that is exactly where the run went. The reason this was a long run is because Mookie was blown off the ball and never got into his gap, Brackett hesitated, then tried to run around the blocker instead of throwing his body in there and Bullitt taking a bad angle.

If Mookie had got to his gap it would have forced the play wide into Freeney and would have allowed Powers or Bullitt to come up. It would have been like the first play gain maybe a yard

If Brackett and thrown his body in there instead of trying to run around the block the RB would not have had a huge hole to cut away from Bullitt and he probably would have ran into Angerer or Moala for a 3 or 4 yard gain.

If Bullitt had taken a correct angle he probably would have stopped him for a 7 or 8 yard gain. But with all three of those it turned into a 40 yard gain or whatever it was.

I probably won't do these play breakdowns very often, they are a lot of work and take a lot of time. But if I see an interesting play where or if I see a play from the same formation where those mistakes were made then I may do that. I hope you enjoy.

And just so people know what I'm talking about with Freeney being held, here's a pic

Freeny%252520Hold.JPG

Excellent analysis but I was a little disappointed you omitted Castonzo. I thought he was one of the real nice surprises of the evening. Kerrigan was far more athletic but Castonzo did an excellent job of taking advantage of his momentum and driving him around the pocket. I never saw his assigned opponent near the quarterback even once, a nice job for a rookie in his second game.

Ac did a good job for his first start but there was quite a bit of pressure from his guy. He gave up too much ground on pass pro, didn't do a great job in run blocking and oin that first screen pass to Clark, Retiz is downfield takes a guy, Saturday is downfield and takes a guy, AC is downfield and didn't block anyone and the guy he should have blocked is the guy who made the tackle. I was not unimpressed with AC, he didn't make many mistakes but he really didn't do anything worthy of being praised either.

**Edit** Just watched the play again and it was not AC's guy who made the tackle, it was a LB who had dropped into coverage who came over to make the tackle. AC did not, however, block anyone on that play. It was the 2nd short pass to Clark where AC missed the block and his guy made the tackle.

Nice job, coffee. What did you think of that blocking TE DeVree?

Aah, Melvin Bullitt, he has continued his "taking bad angle" ways like he was doing while he was playing last year before he went down on IR :). Bullitt needs to step up big time come game time because based on last year, I am yet to think he IS worth his contract.

I have not liked Conner's pass coverage instincts whatsoever so far, while I have loved his run play instincts though he does not shed blocks as well as I would like him to. I think Adrian Moten should replace him at least on passing downs.

When all said and done, Castanzo, Reitz, Saturday, Pollak and Diem will end up being the starting line up.

Yeah, someone pointed out that play to me, so when I watched it again I focused on Harris as much as possible. Outside of that one play, I still didn't see anything impressive.

Before I was just talking about DTs, I think the Colts will have 11 dlineman because Coyer likes to use different packages based on down and distance, 6 DTs and 5 DEs.

It will really be interesting to see what they do with Anderson. Things sounded good in training camp but he got injured before the 1st game and has not played since. I know a lot of people like Foster but, IMO, both Mathews and Gill offer the same as Foster and both of them are bigger and stronger.

Thank you, I've been saying this for a while, but it seems like Foster must be related to a lot of people on this forum.

Nice job, coffee. What did you think of that blocking TE DeVree?

I thought of you when I was watching deVree block. I thought I know Chad was hoping Devree could be the blocking TE but, IMO, in the first two games he has not shown the ability to block. I was kind of hoping he could be another Santi, without the injuries, but at this point I would say he is the worst at blocking of the Colts TEs that have played this year.
Aah, Melvin Bullitt, he has continued his "taking bad angle" ways like he was doing while he was playing last year before he went down on IR :). Bullitt needs to step up big time come game time because based on last year, I am yet to think he IS worth his contract.
What is his contract, do you know? I like Bullitt alright, he is good in pass coverage but yeah, he's a bit weak against the run.
I have not liked Conner's pass coverage instincts whatsoever so far, while I have loved his run play instincts though he does not shed blocks as well as I would like him to. I think Adrian Moten should replace him at least on passing downs.When all said and done, Castanzo, Reitz, Saturday, Pollak and Diem will end up being the starting line up.

I thought pass coverage was Conner's weak spot last year and it does not really seem to have improved in the 1st two games of this year. I can't wait to see Sims in action.

Just watched the 4th play of the game. 1st and goal at the one. Lineup consists of Moala at DE, Nevis, Mookie, Foster and Brayton.

Angere made the tackle but the play was made by Mookie... at the snap he just submarines into the oline and takes out three blockers. No one gets a hat on Angerer or Conner as they both fill the gap, the RB tries to cut up right in Angerer's chest

Thank you, I've been saying this for a while, but it seems like Foster must be related to a lot of people on this forum.

I think it's just because a lot of people like the underdog and he's a good story and he does make a play every now and then. But I've never thought he was an irreplaceable talent.

I think it's just because a lot of people like the underdog and he's a good story and he does make a play every now and then. But I've never thought he was an irreplaceable talent.

What skills Foster brings to the DT position was often wiped out by having to line up next to Dawson on passing situations. He's not bad as a backup DE either. It wouldn't break my heart if he were to go, but I don't see it happening this year.

Coffee - first of all, thanks for a real thread (for a change) and for that analysis.

After what you've seen, based on those two games, I have the following questions:

Who do you see making the team on O and D lines? Who do you see starting on the O line?

Who makes the team at S?

Joe Lefeged looks like he should make the team at Saftey.

Also, David Caldwell played really well after Bethea got hurt. He made a ton of tackles and was always around the ball.

It will be interesting to see who the Colts keep at Safety? Especially if Bethea is out for an extended time with the hamstring.

Great breakdown and analysis. This is why I joined the forum a few years ago and has been kind of overshadowed in the last year by all the doomsayers.

I wonder if coaches teach their LT to hold Freeney like that. Low risk, High reward-10 yard penalty IF they call it and their QB does not get decapitated.

"Bullitt comes flying in untouched and should have made the tackle for about a 7 or 8 yard gain but takes a horrible angle and runs right past the RB."

This play had me screaming at the television.

Overall this analysis has me excited to see these individual players contributing more as a unit. Can't wait for Green Bay.

Great breakdown and analysis. This is why I joined the forum a few years ago and has been kind of overshadowed in the last year by all the doomsayers.

I wonder if coaches teach their LT to hold Freeney like that. Low risk, High reward-10 yard penalty IF they call it and their QB does not get decapitated.

"Bullitt comes flying in untouched and should have made the tackle for about a 7 or 8 yard gain but takes a horrible angle and runs right past the RB."

This play had me screaming at the television.

Overall this analysis has me excited to see these individual players contributing more as a unit. Can't wait for Green Bay.

That picture that Coffee put up of Freeney being held could come from any game, and on about half of the pass plays. It's like the refs have a Freeney Rule. They turn a blind eye to him being held unless it's a complete mugging.

I can almost guarantee it. And it's something I wish the Colts would do. When I played my philosophy was to hold until I got flagged, wait a few plays then hold again to see if the one flag was a fluke. If it got called then I knew they were paying attention, if it didn't I kept doing it.

Coffee - first of all, thanks for a real thread (for a change) and for that analysis.

After what you've seen, based on those two games, I have the following questions:

Who do you see making the team on O and D lines? Who do you see starting on the O line?

Who makes the team at S?

Great write, Coffee, as always....

Quick thoughts: there was a article that stated the offensive line was probably the best unit of the preseason. Thoughts?

I think we saw the starting oline against the Redskins.

AC, Reitz, Saturday, Pollack and Diem and for the most part they played pretty well together. Whether this is a good line or a bad line will depend on AC. I want to see how much he improves in the GB game.

Dline, I really don't know. We have the set guys, Freeney, Mathis, Moala, Mookie. Beyond that I think Nevis, Mathews, Hughes, Brayton. That's 8, the last three are, as I mentioned before, I think going to be between Ogbu, Foster, Harris and Gill. And I think the Colts will keep 11 dlineman and only 5 LBers. Assuming Sims showed the type of play that he did while at Detroit I think the Colts will have Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Sims and Wheeler. That way they are covered if only one LB gets hurt. But I really have not seen a back-up lB that has played good, keep two on the practice squad for long term injuries.

For safety the three obvious ones again Bethea, Bullitt, Lefeged. I would say the front runner for the fourth spot is Caldwell. He has excellent quickness and hits really hard but he's a little slow in covering the zone and his transition (from dropping back to the zone, changing to run support) is bit long. Some of that will improve with experience and recognition.

2nd Play - Washington 2 WR set with a 2 TE (balanced) and a single back behind the QB, no motion before the snap, strong side is the defensive right where the 2 WRs are. From the defense left to defense right the line up is

Mathis, Moala, Mookie, Freeney,

Angerer, Brackett, Conner,

Lacey, Powers,

Bethea at the FS and Bullitt at the SS

Freeney gets upfield but is held by the LT (why does whoever is blocking Freeny not get called for holding?) the guy had his arm wrapped around Freeney's neck and he's taken out of the play.

Mookie gets blown back 3 yards by the guard, he does push him aside but then the center is right there to keep him from going anywhere.

Moala is coming down the line, he tosses his blocker away like a rag doll but Mathis knocks his guy to the ground and trips up Moala.

Mathis, see above. Play is away from Mathis.

Conner is blocked and taken out of the play by the WR (yes the wide receiver).

Brackett hesitates at the snap then flows towards the play but is blocked and driven away from the play bu the TE.

Angerer, the RG that blows Mookie off the line then goes and engages Angerer. He doesn't push Angerer back but he keeps him out of the gap.

Lacey, because there is no WR on his side is playing on the line next to Mathis. He is unblocked but runs too far into the backfield and takes himself out of the play.

Powers is with his WR and then starts to chase.

Bullitt comes flying in untouched and should have made the tackle for about a 7 or 8 yard gain but takes a horrible angle and runs right past the RB.

Bethea - A guard #66, actually gets out to block Bethea but he spins away and chases down the RB.

At around 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, the Redskins ran this play again. The defensive line up was close to the same, from defensive left to right the line up waas

Chick, Mookie(Strong side), Moala, Hughes,

Conner(strong side), Brackett, Angerer

Lacey, Powers,

Lefeged (strong side) Caldwell (weakside)

Chick gets upfield about two yards, is not held and is able to hold his ground.

Mookie gets his arm up and is able to keep the guard off him as he flows down the line and he makes the tackle

Moala gets a yard into the backfield and chases the play. If Mookie had not played it perfectly, Moala would have been right there for the tackle.(When I initially watched the game, I thought Moala played a great game. After re-watching the first half I was wrong... Moala played an absolutely flawless game. He showed power, strength, quickness, field awareness and explosion on every play. As disruptive as Nevis has been in the 2nd half of games, Moala has been that disruptive as a starter. I really want to see a line up of Freeney, Moala, Nevis and Mathis, the O is going to have to keep 8 guys into block ).

Hughes - Came up two yards deep and chased. I don't know how they are taught but that sequence makes sense... you get deep you chase at the level in case there is a cut back.

Conner - Once again the WR blocks Conner but this time Conner gets his hands up and pushes the WR away. By the time he's getting into the fold, AJ has already made the tackle but Conner would have been in position had Mookie or Moala or Angerer missed.

Brackett - Taken completely out of the play by the TE. At least he didn't try to run around the block this time.

Angerer - Flowed nicely and as soon as he saw the hole develop he shot through it. A guard picked him up, but Angerer is responsible for the RB slowing down which allowed Mookie to engulf him from behind.

Lacey was playing 9 yards off and was out of camera view for most of the play.

Powers chased and sat back in case there was a cut back.

Could not really see what Lefeged and Caldwell did, I did see two guys went out to block Caldwell and he just ran between them like they were not there.

At around 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, the Redskins ran this play again. The defensive line up was close to the same, from defensive left to right the line up waas

Chick, Mookie(Strong side), Moala, Hughes,

Conner(strong side), Brackett, Angerer

Lacey, Powers,

Lefeged (strong side) Caldwell (weakside)

Chick gets upfield about two yards, is not held and is able to hold his ground.

Mookie gets his arm up and is able to keep the guard off him as he flows down the line and he makes the tackle

Moala gets a yard into the backfield and chases the play. If Mookie had not played it perfectly, Moala would have been right there for the tackle.(When I initially watched the game, I thought Moala played a great game. After re-watching the first half I was wrong... Moala played an absolutely flawless game. He showed power, strength, quickness, field awareness and explosion on every play. As disruptive as Nevis has been in the 2nd half of games, Moala has been that disruptive as a starter. I really want to see a line up of Freeney, Moala, Nevis and Mathis, the O is going to have to keep 8 guys into block ).

Hughes - Came up two yards deep and chased. I don't know how they are taught but that sequence makes sense... you get deep you chase at the level in case there is a cut back.

Conner - Once again the WR blocks Conner but this time Conner gets his hands up and pushes the WR away. By the time he's getting into the fold, AJ has already made the tackle but Conner would have been in position had Mookie or Moala or Angerer missed.

Brackett - Taken completely out of the play by the TE. At least he didn't try to run around the block this time.

Angerer - Flowed nicely and as soon as he saw the hole develop he shot through it. A guard picked him up, but Angerer is responsible for the RB slowing down which allowed Mookie to engulf him from behind.

Lacey was playing 9 yards off and was out of camera view for most of the play.

Powers chased and sat back in case there was a cut back.

Could not really see what Lefeged and Caldwell did, I did see two guys went out to block Caldwell and he just ran between them like they were not there.

Yeah, I just rewatched that play. Nice play by Mookie and Moala.

I also just rewatched a few plays later at about 6:11 left in the half. Ricardo Matthews just absolutely flattened the right guard, and Ogbu pushed the center out of the play. They both ended up chasing down the QB. Really nice play from both of them.

I don't know if Matthews just caught the RG off-balance, or simply outpowered him. If that's what we can expect from the middle of the D line, though, then I'm pretty excited.... :thmup:

Coffee, I really enjoy reading these breakdowns. Without access to the games, or time to sit down and analyze them in-depth like this, reading your analyses is awesome.

I cannot make a thread since I'm a new poster, so I thought this article on Anthony Castonzo would fit well in this thread:

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/23/colts-rookie-encouraged-by-first-nfl-start/