Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

++ Unitas Best all time ++ another top 10 list

bayone

1. Johnny Unitas— Called his own plays and set the standard for the position. Unitas beat teams with his arm, preparation and the ability to raise his considerable game in the biggest moments.

Unitas won three championships, including Baltimore's win over the Giants in 1958 that was dubbed the "greatest game ever played." He led the league in touchdown passes in four consecutive years and also set one of those Mount Everest records in the league's history with a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games, a streak that spanned from the 1956 season until Dec. 11, 1960.

The mark has not been seriously challenged for much of the past 50 years, until Drew Brees' current streak, which opens the season at 43.

2. Otto Graham

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Bart Starr

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Peyton Manning

Still going and already holds the league record for MVP awards (four), 4,000-yard passing seasons (11) to go with record for seasons with at least 10 wins (11). Has one Super Bowl win and

holds record with eight 300-yard passing games in postseason. And in era when quarterbacks are often tethered to the coaches, he calls his own plays much of the time.

** ( my point , never knew the 300 yard passing games post season record when people talk of lack of postseason success, Helps show its a team thing )

And in era when quarterbacks are often tethered to the coaches, he calls his own plays much of the time.

8. Tom Brady— Has fueled the Patriots dynasty to three Super Bowl wins — two of those coming with late drives from Brady — and two additional title-game appearances. Also authored the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history to go with a single-season record of 50 touchdown passes that year.

9. Brett Favre

10. Roger Staubach

If the list were a top 11, Hall of Famer Dan Marino, one of the best pure passers the league has ever seen, would be next.

e:List of NFL's top 10 quarterbacks provides ample chances for debate - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21473677/list-nfls-top-10-quarterbacks-provides-ample-chances#ixzz25grxnnF1

Any list that puts Bradshaw above Peyton and Brady is laughable.

I can agree that the order is off , but still like Unitas up there, I saw him play in the fifties on

& if u looked at the link ,

the title of the article is

List of NFL's top 10 quarterbacks provides ample chances for debate

( so they admit its not perfect )

I also feel after reading many a post from denver papers, though never have before, Have relatives in Denver that send me links now, so dont know if its a new thing only since Peyton arrived

I often get the feelings there is some bias against Brady there & Elway has & always will be the Holy Grail

1. Johnny Unitas— Called his own plays and set the standard for the position. Unitas beat teams with his arm, preparation and the ability to raise his considerable game in the biggest moments.

Unitas won three championships, including Baltimore's win over the Giants in 1958 that was dubbed the "greatest game ever played." He led the league in touchdown passes in four consecutive years and also set one of those Mount Everest records in the league's history with a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games, a streak that spanned from the 1956 season until Dec. 11, 1960.

The mark has not been seriously challenged for much of the past 50 years, until Drew Brees' current streak, which opens the season at 43.

2. Otto Graham

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Bart Starr

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Peyton Manning

Still going and already holds the league record for MVP awards (four), 4,000-yard passing seasons (11) to go with record for seasons with at least 10 wins (11). Has one Super Bowl win and

holds record with eight 300-yard passing games in postseason. And in era when quarterbacks are often tethered to the coaches, he calls his own plays much of the time.

** ( my point , never knew the 300 yard passing games post season record when people talk of lack of postseason success, Helps show its a team thing )

And in era when quarterbacks are often tethered to the coaches, he calls his own plays much of the time.

8. Tom Brady— Has fueled the Patriots dynasty to three Super Bowl wins — two of those coming with late drives from Brady — and two additional title-game appearances. Also authored the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history to go with a single-season record of 50 touchdown passes that year.

9. Brett Favre

10. Roger Staubach

If the list were a top 11, Hall of Famer Dan Marino, one of the best pure passers the league has ever seen, would be next.

e:List of NFL's top 10 quarterbacks provides ample chances for debate - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz25grxnnF1

So HARD judge QB's from different generations I never saw Starr,graham or Unitas play. BUT I will say I put Marino in the top 10 before Favre. Favre has all his records because he played forever and a day, and are all longevity based where Marino had impressive single season records that lasted a very long time.. (And I would say he be KILLING it in the NFL now even more with the new rules in place for QB' safety.)

So HARD judge QB's from different generations I never saw Starr,graham or Unitas play. BUT I will say I put Marino in the top 10 before Favre. Favre has all his records because he played forever and a day, and are all longevity based where Marino had impressive single season records that lasted a very long time.. (And I would say he be KILLING it in the NFL now even more with the new rules in place for QB' safety.)

So HARD judge QB's from different generations agree

It was Unitas, Vs not Bart Star but Lombardi, just like now its Vs not just Brady but Belichik, & was a running league so also was him Vs Jim Brown

Unitas simply set himself apart, did the same as Peyton today way back then with innovation & work effort & 2 minute drill in a time no one else did it, thats remarkable I could go on & on

& he played hurt in ways hed be removed from game today, example given below

Only had 1 emotion , no one knew what he was thinking, even threw a TD once when Coach said in no way on this play pass, just run the ball I have my reasons, but Unitas had his own

Marino I am sure if had that stupid SB ring , which is a team thing ,. hed be higher too on this list

Here Is A copy & paste,. parts may be redundant, bear with me please and has Peytons Comments on Unitas from a book

Unitas in his prime was awesome

UNITAS should forever be in that conversation Re the greatest

, He was unique esp for his time & could make every throw imaginable as well as all the film study back then

2 NFL Championships before the superbowl & 1 superbowl, = 3

developed the 2 minute offense in greatest game ever on the fly on last drive

---------------------------

Unitas story,

have this on my computer as been asked before

I wish i had time to tell u all as grew up with him playing and his rookie card was in my 1st pack of football cards bought

he did all the film study as Peyton , did it with Ray berry

just 1 thing

BEST EXAMPLE THAT COMES TO MIND WAS IN GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED

as far as his skill set & playing in a era of running the ball in the greatest game ever he put the NFL on the national stage for the ist time with the first ever 2 minute drill to tie the game and going for the TD in OT instead of basically an extra point distance FG

Unitas was one of the smartest players football wise to ever play. Unitas called the offense to and adjusted based on the defense

even when Unitas coaches said above all dont do this he still did what he wanted anyway & usually worked. He would study for hours on end with ray berry and they had the Manning Harrison Communication with a look

'That 58 game champ game on the first ever 2 minute drive to tie DETAILED & why his film study made it possible

, Well in that final tying drive's start there was a defense they never saw before on the playing field designed to take away the sideline throw to berry to the outside & letting him get out of bounds , stopping the clock, after a catch using 2 defenders & keeping the clock going as Giants Knew with little time a sideline pass would be done

way before this they saw that same defense in film that is after studying tons of film, & not on the Giants but in general and said if we ever see this lets do this

Well they each looked at each other and wondered if the other remembered what they discussed one time in the past

, the play started, and instead of going to the outside Berry cut across the middle of the field where when he turned to look the ball was there right in his hands , Berry in full stride and the same on the nexrt few plays & they marched down the field to tie

Remember for the win he could of called a FG, and called a run & got a TD in first ever OT game , not just OT in championship

--------------------

In the book Johnny Unitas Americas QB, 2 forwards 1 by teamate Art Donovan & 1 by Peyton

peyton said

You hear aabout players from other eras, & some wonder if thgey would be as good today. Well let me tell u, there's no wondering about Johnny Unitas. He was a superstar then. He would be a superstar today. The NFL should name an award after him for all that hes meant. He put the NFL on the map.

--------------------------------

Coaches often said whatever u do dont do this, Unitas would do it anyway based on what he saw and it worked

he was an earlier version of Peyton smarts way ahead of his time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there was 1 game he was mauled but legal then, he stood up , blood flowing from his nose & I think was Mackey but not sure who stuffed mud up his nose to slow it but while still bleeding and blood flowing down face he didnt miss a down and led the team downfield to score. So when u were out of a game back then u really were hurt, he never would of ben aloud to stay in the game now without being looked at on sidelines

-----

Unitas dumped after draft Picked in 9th round, many rounds back then , actualy that was pick # 102 overall in 55 , Steelers evaluated their pick and dumped him, colts picked him up in 56 after he was playing in sandlot games for $ 6 a game, and seen by Colt CM who sent a postcard to invite unitas ti try out , Colt players lauighed when 1st saw skiny kid with a bad right shoulder

Now why did he even get to play

Colts had # 1 draft choice in 55 & picked a QB George Shaw, ( BTW also got ameche in that draft )

Colts likeed Shaw and was building a team with Shaw designed as the leader , but he got hurt, Unitas came in , all were stunned & Shaw never again was the starter, Thats Sandlot Vs # 1 drafdt pick

The skinny kid unitas was picked up just for a backup and nothing expected of him,

OF NOTE

Unitas 1st pass IT pick 6 , 2nd play fumbled handoff , then all turned around and thuss became the golden arm

Thats all , Have to go

Bayone,

I completly understand your post, I am just a little young to truly appreciate some of the greats. Hard truly appreciate something you never saw (and the game films do not do ANY of them justice.) I base my top 10 on the QB's I HAVE SEEN, so i WILL SAY TOP TEN SINCE 1980:

1. Montana -- Man was amazing first QB I ever saw who could move out of the pocket BUT still be a great passer in the pocket.

2. Marino -- No rings but the best passer I have ever seen, and does anyone have a quicker release?

3. Brady/Manning -- These two are very SIMULAR in WORK ethic and both have amazing ability to read D, Brady one big advantage is having BB as his head coach.

4.Steve Young -- Great QB, and HOFer just imagine what he could have been if he had not suffered so many cucussions early on.

5a. Warren Moon -- IMO the best african American QB I have ever seen, made amazing throws and had a great grasp on when to run or throw. (So many scrambling QB's even today have not figured that out!)

5b. Troy Aikman -- had great Coach and team around him but he still lead them to 3 SB.

6. Kelly -- 4 SB appearances and they absolutly dominated the AFC in the early 90's and intro the hurry up offense I do believe.

7. Eli Manning -- He IMO a royal Pain in the Butt, but he seems save his best for big games and he appeares be improving every year.

After Eli have a bunch of cluttered up people in my head lol, but thats the top 9.

Unitas is number 1. Peyton will be right beside him when it's all said and done. It's great to know we've had the best two QB of all-time.

You have had 2 of the greatest QB's ever which is rare most franchises are giddy just getting one.. (I think SF can lay claim as well to two greats with Montana and Young.)

Bayone,

I completly understand your post, I am just a little young to truly appreciate some of the greats. Hard truly appreciate something you never saw (and the game films do not do ANY of them justice.) I base my top 10 on the QB's I HAVE SEEN, so i WILL SAY TOP TEN SINCE 1980:

1. Montana -- Man was amazing first QB I ever saw who could move out of the pocket BUT still be a great passer in the pocket.

2. Marino -- No rings but the best passer I have ever seen, and does anyone have a quicker release?

3. Brady/Manning -- These two are very SIMULAR in WORK ethic and both have amazing ability to read D, Brady one big advantage is having BB as his head coach.

4.Steve Young -- Great QB, and HOFer just imagine what he could have been if he had not suffered so many cucussions early on.

5a. Warren Moon -- IMO the best african American QB I have ever seen, made amazing throws and had a great grasp on when to run or throw. (So many scrambling QB's even today have not figured that out!)

5b. Troy Aikman -- had great Coach and team around him but he still lead them to 3 SB.

6. Kelly -- 4 SB appearances and they absolutly dominated the AFC in the early 90's and intro the hurry up offense I do believe.

7. Eli Manning -- He IMO a royal Pain in the Butt, but he seems save his best for big games and he appeares be improving every year.

After Eli have a bunch of cluttered up people in my head lol, but thats the top 9.

Good List and understand your viewpoint, I have Unitas memories BURNED into my brain

Unitas is number 1. Peyton will be right beside him when it's all said and done. It's great to know we've had the best two QB of all-time.

You have had 2 of the greatest QB's ever which is rare most franchises are giddy just getting one.. (I think SF can lay claim as well to two greats with Montana and Young.)

so true

In order to judge these qbs you needed,to see them play,I have seen most of them,part of them are not done so i cant rate them in order,so i wont lol,and some havnt won SBs through no fault of theyre own,Great lists above not all have same people not same orders,thats good they are opinions ,will give long hard thought before mine goes up

http://kotitescorner...-qb-rating.html

If anyone wants to read this. It's an alternative to QB rating. Johnny's game against the Falcons in 1967 has been said to be the best game ever played by a QB. --------- 17/20, 370yds, 4TDs

Peyton has the highest rated game during the playoffs too.

THIS IS A COPY & PASTE FROM OLD ARTICLE I SAVED

Heres a problem with MVP Votes too,

http://espn.go.com/b...d-award-process

http://espn.go.com/b...d-award-process

Looking inside year-end award process

Flawed MVP Voting Process ,Real Eye Opener & Why Peyton Shared 1 with McNair

December, 31, 2009

Dec 31

4:35

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Paul Kuharsky

Flawed MVP Vote Proces

ARTICLE EXCERPTS

Peyton Manning is expected to win the NFL MVP award, which will come to light Jan. 9.

Like the three he’s won before, the MVP award won’t come with the support of Indianapolis Star reporter Mike Chappell or any other reporter from any medium who has seen all of Manning’s games. That’s because no one who covers the Colts has a vote.

HOWEVER

There are 21 by my count ( NOT ME ARTICLES WRITER ) who may follow the league but are locked in on one team all season, following a team home and away. Their presence has the potential to throw things off for the 12 teams whose markets don’t have such a focused representative.

Tthe fact that the AFC East has a voter connected to each of its teams means more visibility through voters' lenses for a player on a team in that division than for one in the AFC South or NFC South.

In 2003, when Manning and Steve McNair split the MVP award, there was a voter who covered the Titans, but not one who covered the Colts. The Titans writer backed McNair. If there had been a vote out of Indy, it could have offset that and McNair might not have won his half of the trophy.

Two voters the AP considers national cover the Cleveland Browns full time, including home and away games.

It seems most fair to me to have a voter from each of the 32 markets plus national folks, but the days where that’s feasible are probably ending as the media landscape continues to evolve. There were about six spots that changed hands this year.

We shouldn’t expect a perfect distribution, and it shouldn’t be the AP’s goal. It’s not realistic to seek national NFL reporters or analysts who are based in San Diego or Kansas City or Indianapolis.

Still, that 20 percent of the voters are New York-based or 32 percent come from New York, Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia lends itself to complaints of East Coast bias -- an issue I am usually loath to give any credence. For a league that extends from San Diego to Miami to Minneapolis, could things be better dispersed?

MY ADDITION TO ARTICLE IS JUST THIS ( MVP Panel Brees has New Orleans Voter, Farve has Minnesota & Green bay voter, Rivers & Manning no local Voters , check out cities each voter has home base & some give Division affiliation if with specific team, YET U CANT TELL ME THAT PETER KING < BASED IN BOSTON< EVEN THOUGH NO TEAM? DIVISION AFFILIATE IS NOT PRO PATRIOTS , besides the one with a vote who cover Pats )

MVP Panel

Here is a look at the panel of 50 voters ( AS OF THE YEAR OF THIS ARTICLE ) assembled by the Associated Press that determines the NFL's year-end awards: MVP, offensive and defensive player of the year, offensive and defensive rookies of the year, comeback player of the year, coach of the year and the All-Pro teams.

gives a list thats self explanatory

Where's Steve Grogan?

he held QB rushing TD title of 12 untill last year , cam newton took it after 35 years of having it, Good QB, had great rushing team too, one of his Pat led teams record still stands somewhere over 3000 yards for the season , took over for Plunket if remember right

also lost to the original Buddy Byans bears Defense in 1985 Superbowl

I'd put him behind Bledsoe Re Pat Qbs

Was a tough one, many surgeries and came back to play

Name from the past

he held QB rushing TD title of 12 untill last year , cam newton took it after 35 years of having it, Good QB, had great rushing team too, one of his Pat led teams record still stands somewhere over 3000 yards for the season , took over for Plunket if remember right

also lost to the original Buddy Byans bears Defense in 1985 Superbowl

I'd put him behind Bledsoe Re Pat Qbs

Was a tough one, many surgeries and came back to play

Name from the past

Nice recall bayone!

Steve Grogan was my all-time favorite Patriot before Brady. I watched nearly every game he played. The Patriots offense rushed for 3165 yards in 1978, a record that still stands.

The 1976 team was better, though. The Raiders may have won the Super Bowl that year but the Pats were better.

Tony Eason was the starter in the 1985 Super Bowl but Grogan relieved and was fearless. Nobody was going to beat the Bears that year.

I loved Drew Bledsoe but I have Grogan ahead by a sliver.

Good memories.

You can't mention Steve Grogan without also paying respects to Bert Jones (Baltimore Colts 1973-1981).

Jones passing to Roger Carr was a sight to watch.

Edit: I just discovered that Bill Belichick was a special assistant on the 1975 Baltimore Colts.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/BeliBi0.htm

Yes Belichick was with the horseshoe, think he assisted Ted Marcibroda but forgot as what ,should have kept him, some say , i have read , Berts 76 year was one of the best overall for a QB ever, i dont remember it exactly, was in Med school, but have read that

Nice recall bayone!

Steve Grogan was my all-time favorite Patriot before Brady. I watched nearly every game he played. The Patriots offense rushed for 3165 yards in 1978, a record that still stands.

The 1976 team was better, though. The Raiders may have won the Super Bowl that year but the Pats were better.

Tony Eason was the starter in the 1985 Super Bowl but Grogan relieved and was fearless. Nobody was going to beat the Bears that year.

I loved Drew Bledsoe but I have Grogan ahead by a sliver.

Good memories.

Grogan was the man back in the day. I loved seeing that lanky guy with the awkward-looking neck brace and the balky knees playing his heart out.

My first Pats jersey? #14, baby!

Grogan was the man back in the day. I loved seeing that lanky guy with the awkward-looking neck brace and the balky knees playing his heart out.

My first Pats jersey? #14, baby!

He was amazing!! hard ten times the heart of some QB's.. imagine him with the TALENT of Leaf with his heart and work ethic... :) That said I feel for Tony Eason he looked so promising then the Bears gave him his shell shock personality and he was never the same after that SB he became THE TURTLE.

He was amazing!! hard ten times the heart of some QB's.. imagine him with the TALENT of Leaf with his heart and work ethic... :) That said I feel for Tony Eason he looked so promising then the Bears gave him his shell shock personality and he was never the same after that SB he became THE TURTLE.

Spot on... after that debacle Eason was never the same. Who knew the Pats would peak in that game taking a 3-0 lead? LOL...

Bayone,

where does John Elway fit in....Double J? I know he's in there somewhere

Technically we drafted Elway too. =P

If we ended up getting him , all roads after would of been different and most likely we would not of been in the same situation as to get Peyton and probably not luck. When u change the the start of a long course of action, the roads take an entirely different course

where does John Elway fit in....Double J? I know he's in there somewhere

In startring this topic

My initial opening post , for this topic he was 4th I noted from an article I have link to at the posts bottom

1. Johnny Unitas

2. Otto Graham

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

Awesome football history lesson Bayone. That's very convincing, maybe Unitas should be considered the G.O.A.T. , he did everything Peyton did, before anyone and took a beating doing so ( like Farve ). created the 2 min offense, during a championship game. Over a decade of 10 win seasons.

Maybe we truly are prisoners of the moment.

2. Otto Graham

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Bart Starr

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Peyton Manning

9. Brett Favre

10. Roger Staubach

e:List of NFL's top 10 quarterbacks provides ample chances for debate - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz25grxnnF1

Of Course Johnny U!!! Silly!!!!!

Coltsince4

Awesome football history lesson Bayone. That's very convincing, maybe Unitas should be considered the G.O.A.T. , he did everything Peyton did, before anyone and took a beating doing so ( like Farve ). created the 2 min offense, during a championship game. Over a decade of 10 win seasons.

Maybe we truly are prisoners of the moment.

Appreciate your response

There are times in ones life we all are are prisoners of the moment. ,

Too bad I'm not from Indy. So city affiliation means nothing to me. A Colt is a Colt.

Said this many times here, doesn't make a difference to me if they were the Bancock Colts, I would still be a Colts and Unitas fan!!

And yes!!! SINGING!!! A HORSE IS A HORSE OF COURSE OF COURSE!!! UNLESS IT'S THE COLTS!!! OF COURSE OF COURSE!!! HEEEE!!!HEEE!!!

http://youtu.be/WLR4iZJLgc4

Coltsince4

Unitas himself wouldn't have agreed with you. He never considered himself part of the Indianapolis Colts.

too bad that is the organization he was a part of...not the cleveland b...i mean baltimore ravens. that's like saying the los angeles dodgers and the brooklyn dodgers arent the same team......

too bad that is the organization he was a part of...not the cleveland b...i mean baltimore ravens. that's like saying the los angeles dodgers and the brooklyn dodgers arent the same team......

agreed, also,

has nothing to do with this post in sense its Unitas as greatest ever QB, not Greatest Colt QB or Indy Or Balt Colt QB just greatest QB

, IN SUM are just one colts with both cities history, that's why all of the Original Cleveland Browns history went with the team to Baltimore with the move , they just changed name from browns to Ravens for a new identity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEqRPQBO7Vk&feature=player_detailpage

I must admit I just scanned this quickly with fast forwards and havent watched it all and heard a line the most devastating offense enseamble in football has been set loose so watched from there for just 1 minute

I was actually looking on u tube trying to find this incredible 72 yard TD pass that flew a good 50 yards hitting RB Lenny More out of the backfield running full speed down the sideline right in stride and perfect , wasnt even a hard catch

-------------------------------------------------------

But Found for something unigue on Unitas & not much time to look more

, WELL HERE IS TOUGHNESS / Uniqueness

Go to & 7:02, to 8:10 minute mark & check out that 1 minute

Unitas making a solid tackle he hands of goal to goal at the 2 yard line, & RB fumbles at the goal line & Detroit's great

dick Libeu ( spelling ) has 99 clear yards for a TD,

after dick Libeu is already going downfield Unitas takes perfect angle running towards the sidelines does a waste high grab to tackle him at the 20 on Dettroits side of the ball ,while all he had to do was push him out of bounds but Unitas never took that for a chance of a miscue

right after is shown a, 20 yard TD run in some traffic, , yes good blocking though but 2 defenders inside the 10 could have got him

& fiinally he completes a pass after scrambling out of an what could of been sack and then runs down field a good 15 to 20 yards to put a block & knock another all time great SAM HUFF to the ground allowing the receiver to gain more yards

I have never seen this video before and sure when I have a chance I will watch it but must go

But this 1 minute clip shows not his passing prowess and pocket presence but other aspects to his game that made him great & set him apart

Know after this they talk about Unitas to Berry but we all know about that or should so stopped there as had to go & then show a variety of passes to Beery & Jimmy or the flanker back , esp after he gets hurt, xrayed and comes back for deep TD

Anyway Must Leave