Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning, Brady & Brees speak out about lockout

We all hope the lockout ends, but I can see the owners having issue with the statement. Probably no big deal as they all stand to lose too much money for this to continue, but it just struck me as a little confrontational. Just not sure that it needed to be that way.

This jumped out at me:

High-level sources on both sides of the talks told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the debate in the rookie pool talks is over how to structure a fifth-year option for first-round draft picks.

Under current proposals, all first-rounders would get four-year deals, plus an option year. That option could be executed by the team after the third or fourth year of the contract.

However, owners want a fixed amount for the fifth-year option, roughly $4 million. Players want a top 10 salary at the position for the top 16 picks.

I've got to side with the players on this one. Generally you know by the end of year three or year four if a guy is a player or a bust. Structure the salaries to be reasonable for years one through three or four, and leave that fifth year up in the air. By their fifth year in the league, any player selected in the first round is at or near the upper echelon of players at his position, and should be paid that way.

From that article

- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees say "it is time" for NFL owners and players to wrap up negotiations on a deal to end the league's lockout.

But one member of the players' negotiating team who has been a constant presence at the table told Mortensen that players believe they have made significant concessions and overtures "that have not been reciprocated."

He stated that negotiations Wednesday and Thursday will be the most telling days on whether an agreement indeed will be finalized within the July 21 time frame because "we've basically reached the limits of compromise."

The same source added that the players have agreed to cut rookie compensation in half but won't agree to a deal that does not allow for the rookie class to become free agents at the end of four years.

This is what I keep hearing its the contract length thats a problem , not the initial payment

• Like 1

More Manning tripe. It's only time to end the lockout so he can line his greedy pockets. If he wants to play so much, he shouldn't have joined the lawsuit. Not impressed with his off season * chat. Thank goodness he's still a master of his real art.

Not sure I see how joining the lawsuit impacted anything. Pretty sure the lockout would be exactly where it is with him as a plaintiff or not.

And how exactly is he greedy? Not sure I see that.

He didn't need to side with the union. He could have said he's happy with a 5% pay cut etc. The credit crunch has hit hard these last few years, and millions have lost their jobs, not just a few percent off their earnings. But he didn't, and now as the season approaches, he wants to play. A bit late perhaps.

I don't mind him supporting the lawsuit, but he should stick to his guns. On top of his moan about not working with his Colts physio due to the lockout, he's grinding his gums a bit too much.

He should stick to putting his head in a helmet or doing commercials.

• Like 1

He didn't need to side with the union. He could have said he's happy with a 5% pay cut etc. The credit crunch has hit hard these last few years, and millions have lost their jobs, not just a few percent off their earnings. But he didn't, and now as the season approaches, he wants to play. A bit late perhaps.

I don't mind him supporting the lawsuit, but he should stick to his guns. On top of his moan about not working with his Colts physio due to the lockout, he's grinding his gums a bit too much.

I guess I fail to see how Manning, maybe the face of the NFL, is not right where is supposed to be with the rest of his peers in the league. Why would he not side withe union?

And why isn't what he said about working with the Colts trainers not spot on. I mean the nonsense rules of the lockout, that injured players who needed treatment, could not get it should have been called out by someone. I just don't see the harm in that.

I've got to side with the players on this one. Generally you know by the end of year three or year four if a guy is a player or a bust. Structure the salaries to be reasonable for years one through three or four, and leave that fifth year up in the air. By their fifth year in the league, any player selected in the first round is at or near the upper echelon of players at his position, and should be paid that way.

I side with the player on that as well. Like you said GP by the 3rd or 4th year a rookie in the first round will either be a bust or prove to be among the top at their position.

Look at Eric Berry in KC. He had a huge year as a rookie and would have easily out performed the rookie pay on that scale. By his 3rd or 4th year he will easily be one of the top safeties in this league, but under the owners proposal they would be able keep at a messily 4 million a year. What about being able to lock Sam Bradford in at 4 million.

The owners are getting their rookie wage scale so this should be an easy compromise.

I hear you Wallace, and what you're saying is not at all unreasonable. Mrs. GoPats has found herself on the wrong side of a layoff twice in the past three years, and has spent much of that time unemployed - including presently. It certainly hasn't been easy, and has forced our hand relative to lifestyle changes and future plans. Fortunately I've had some job security and have worked for a company that has grown and thrived despite the overall weak economy.

But Manning rightfully feels a responsibility to his less-well-compensated peers to represent their voices as well. It's not so much about the money that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Drew Brees make. Those guys are set for life. Especially Brady, who is married to a woman with career earnings just shy of $1B US. And Manning, who has probably doubled his football income through endorsements (though I do understand that much of that money goes to charity, which is admirable).

It's more about what the lower-tier, lesser-known players make, and the fact that the average NFL career is still only about 3 years. As one of the highest profile faces in the NFL, Manning has a responsibility to his fellow players to look out for the entire lot. A 5% pay cut would not change things much for him, but those lesser-known guys - the ones working just as hard in weight rooms and trainers' rooms and busting their backsides to earn a spot on an NFL roster somewhere - deserve a little more security.

Throughout the entire lockout mess I haven't sided strongly with either the owners or the players. I think there's been plenty of fodder on both sides. But I do understand that for Brady, Brees, and Manning, this comes with the territory. Any anti-union statements or actions would bury them at this point.

Meh...in one ear and out the other. Just get a deal done, you're just hurting your fanbase even more. I've lost tons of respect for both sides in this.

Quoted for truth! Owners have a ton of folks to pay under them, so most of the "profits" don't go in their own pockets unlike the players would have people think. At the same time, vets get paid far less than many untried rookies and that isn't right. But after 4 years, if someone is a breakout star, they shouldn't be kept on a rookie contract or stuck on a crap team with no future.

Everyone needs to stop being selfish and just get it done. I am sick of all of it and have lost a lot of respect for a bunch of folks.

:madder:

Manning, Brady and Brees released a statement today saying it's time to reach a deal and calling for agreement: See link below

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6765018/nfl-lockout-tom-brady-peyton-manning-drew-brees-call-deal

Now, let's just hope everyone else listens to them and we'll be back to football.'

This ^ is buncha flippin melarchy. Insignificant faces of the cause.....if they can't stump in April (except for Brees) they don't have time to talk in July. End of file. This is nothing but a lame attempt at saving face and to project the good-guy/we have a handle on things - image. Just shut up & play after the deal is done because that's all you're good for in all of this. It's exceptional on field performance by these guys that has set the bar for everyone else in the league & they should do themselves a favor by letting their athleticism continue to do the talking. A week before things are finalized......"Time to get it done." - - yeah right. Whatever.