Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Surprise Colt Will Not Make The Final Roster Cutdown(Iyho)?

Henry Swanson

If The Colts are going to make personel decisions based on a couple of plays in 1 preseason game, then this team is in serious trouble.

what camp reports on Hughes have been favorable? if you can link some comments, i will concede.

two preseason flops, not producing anything last season, etc. Chick is by no means out of this world, but he is solid 2nd or 3rd string. Hughes is 4th.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cause Hughes has been unstoppable, right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

face it: you have a Jerry Hughes hard on and are mad that other DE's are out-camping him.

What was laughable was you calling Chick a "beast". The dude gets blown out of posistion 98% of the time and he's a "beast". Good lord! I will be the 1st to admit Hughes is not very good, but I also know enough to know Chick is not an upgrade. He's going against 3rd stringers for crying out loud and still losing most of the time.

so other than Freeney and Mathis, our DE depth is messed up. thats what you are saying, right? you think they are keeping Anderson?

We have yet to even see Anderson play, but yeah, I think they will keep him and Brayton over Chick. Somebody said Brayton didn't impress him, but the guy just signed a week ago. Less than a week of practice in a new system and people are saying he's no good. :facepalm: I respect most of the posts made here but some people are just :loco: .

I think Chick and Hughes have both played well this pre-season. Both still have work to do as well though.

Anderson and Brayton are here to do different things than both Hughes and Chick. Anderson and Brayton are here to be run stoppers while Chick and Hughes are pass rushers. Brayton did not look good on Friday night at all. He got shoved all over the field. That's why I left him off my roster. With that said he had something like half a week with the playbook he could easily show me he belongs on there by the end of the pre-season. Right now I would keep Chick because he has been playing well on special teams. That counts and matters. I don't see the Colts giving up on Hughes after one season either. I hope Anderson and Brayton work out because they would give us something we haven't had and that is run stopping ends. I think if we have that you are going to see a big jump in the Colts run defense this season.

I don't why people are so sure of this. Seems to me the Colts are wanting to get bigger on the D-line. He may make it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is let go. Of course some people want to keep Chick too and I don't see that happening at all. Chick is not worth a roster spot, he has done nothing since being here. This is all a moot point anyway because as other teams make cuts we could bring in some of those players and the roster will be changing for a while.

Yes the Colts are wanting to get bigger but the also still want a pass rushing DT which is something Foster gives them. Honeslty Harris is the big x-factor holding up the d-line at the moment. If he plays well you can make a case for cutting someone else but if he is just going to be hurt and doesn't play well he'll be the one who ends up cut. I just don't think the Colts would have resigned Foster if they didn't plan on him making the roster.

Anderson and Harris are going to get cut if they don't show they can get on the field. It is not like they were in this system a year ago and the team knows what they can do with it when healthy. I would give Brayton the rest of preseason and then just see what happens. Cut downs will be an interesting time, when do teams have to get down to 75?

Yes, because Polian likes clip-holding QB's who look silly on the sidelines and get paid peanuts. For the Colts backup QB position, the better you play, the more likely you'll get fired! Sad, but seemingly true. Painter and Orlovsky are in a competition to see who plays worse.

I guess he underestimated Frank Reich then.

I really do not understand this at all. Chick is not NFL material. He has done virtually nothing since the Colts brought him here. He gets pushed out of plays constantly and is never anywhere around to make a play. Why on earth should the colts waste a roster spot on a guy that brings absolutely nothing. For those of you that want this guy to stick around, I really think you should prepare yourself for dissapointment. I don't there is any way at all this guy makes the roster.

I do see him get pushed around some just like all are ends do including Freeney & Mathis both pro bowlers!!!!!!! Are you trying to tell me Gill is better or Anderson or Brayton. None of those guys have the same motor & honestly I see him around the ball a great deal & he does get pressure on the QB. HE may be a liability against the run, but could make a nice backup pass rusher & give are guys a breather. We could use Foster verse the run as a backup end. Chick also has value as a special teams player as well. Chick did nothing last year because he was on the practice squad :hello:

So far this pre season John Chick has been our best pass rusher. On some plays Chick has looked relentless.

He has shown why he led the Canadian League in sacks.

With pure pass rushers being so hard to find. It would be foolish to cut Chick who has that natural ability.

They should at least give the guy a chance to prove himself.

Outside of Freeney and Mathis, do we really have anyone better at rushing the QB?

I do see him get pushed around some just like all are ends do including Freeney & Mathis both pro bowlers!!!!!!! Are you trying to tell me Gill is better or Anderson or Brayton. None of those guys have the same motor & honestly I see him around the ball a great deal & he does get pressure on the QB. HE may be a liability against the run, but could make a nice backup pass rusher & give are guys a breather. We could use Foster verse the run as a backup end. Chick also has value as a special teams player as well. Chick did nothing last year because he was on the practice squad :hello:

We don't know about Anderson or Brayton. Anderson has yet to play because of an injury and Brayton had less than 1 week of practice in a new system. So yeah, I think they could bring more to the table than Chick. They are both bigger that can play inside or outside. They can pass rush from the inside and defend the run from the DE posisiton. Much more versatile than Chick who is a one trick pony, and not very good at that.

We don't know about Anderson or Brayton. Anderson has yet to play because of an injury and Brayton had less than 1 week of practice in a new system. So yeah, I think they could bring more to the table than Chick. They are both bigger that can play inside or outside. They can pass rush from the inside and defend the run from the DE posisiton. Much more versatile than Chick who is a one trick pony, and not very good at that.

Anderson has been a bust since he came into the league and is not known to get much of a pass rush.

Since joining the Colts he has been injured.

OK Brayton is new, and I liked him with Oakland, but he is not a pure pass rusher either.

There are two games left. Lets see who plays the best.

One thing we dont need is more guys that are always hurt.

Anderson has been a bust since he came into the league and is not known to get much of a pass rush.

Since joining the Colts he has been injured.

OK Brayton is new, and I liked him with Oakland, but he is not a pure pass rusher either.

There are two games left. Lets see who plays the best.

One thing we dont need is more guys that are always hurt.

True, that Anderson was not much of a pass rusher from the outside but when atlanta played him at the tackle spot he was much better. I don't know the extent of his injury so im willing to wait and see. I just don't think people are taking into account that Chick has been going against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason. To give him a roster spot over more versatile guys is a bad idea in my opinion.

Why are you so certain John Chick is not very good at rushing the QB?

I just watched the Redskins game replay, Chick played a lot and he looked great!

Always disrupting the offensive plays.

True, that Anderson was not much of a pass rusher from the outside but when atlanta played him at the tackle spot he was much better. I don't know the extent of his injury so im willing to wait and see. I just don't think people are taking into account that Chick has been going against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason. To give him a roster spot over more versatile guys is a bad idea in my opinion.

Chick played throughout the game. Against Washington's first team too. Our other defensive players were in the same game, against the same players. And they didnt do squat.

I'm just saying, I watched the games, and Chick has been one of the few bright spots in this dismal pre season.

Why are you so certain John Chick is not very good at rushing the QB?

I just watched the Redskins game replay, Chick played a lot and he looked great!

Always disrupting the offensive plays.

Like I said in my other post, He has been going against lower level talent in preseason. If he had to go against other teams starting OT's I don't think his pass rush moves(or lack there of) will have the same impact. My whole point about Chick is there are more versatile guys that bring more to the table. There are only so many roster spots and IMO Chick shouldn't get one.

The other 2 are one trick ponies who have had years to prove them selfs both having been 1st RD picks picks & I will bet neither can play Special teams!! That makes Chick a 2 trick pony :highfive:

I do take that in to account, but possible you might need to re watch the games, he has seen 1,2,3,& 4th stringers & played well :number1:

So that makes him a horrible person? That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Yes,in my book...it does.I've seen him be a jerk many times,and i feel he doesn't belong in our uniform.I don't care if he was a first round pick or not(that means nothing in my book also).He's another darnell audrey and i wish he would just retire like him also.I'm tired of seeing him to be honest.He makes my blood boil.

brayton and anderson can't play ST. can you say cut?

Chick all the way.

No because Brayton and Anderson were brought here to be run stopping ends. Chick is a pass rushing end. ST will probably help his chances but he's main role is different than that of Brayton and Anderson.

I don't understand why anyone would want to give up on Gonzo, Brown and Hughes. I don't believe for a second that Polian makes roster decisions because of ego - other than in the sense that he wants to win. They are on the roster because they have God given talent that justified their high draft position in the first place. He'd be a fool to give up on that without a terrific reason.

Hughes has that rare speed that the Colts crave in their DEs, and he is making strides. The coaches apparently expect him to put it all together at some point. Why conceivable basis do we have for doubting them? Who should take his spot, a UFA with a good work ethic? They are a dime a dozen - first round talent is not.

Brown can break a huge gain like nobodies business, and is a threat catching the ball as well. We've all seen him do it in prime time against good defenses. Yes, he's had some injury problems, and yes, he doesn't block all that well, but those things can actually improve over time. Carter is a welcome addition, but he is a complement to Brown, not a replacement. And once again, who would take Brown's spot? Neither Spann, nor James, nor Evans nor Moore come remotely close to Brown's ability.

Lastly Gonzo - if healthy (big if) might shortly be the best receiver on the team. I love Wayne but he is slipping. Garcon has more speed and strength, but he's wildly inconsistent. Collie is perfect for what he does, but he's not an outside threat. Gonzo just gets open and makes plays, and was quickly becoming a "Manning favorite" before going down. Some people think he was drafted to play the slot, but if you look at the timing I think he was drafted to replace Marvin. Collie was the one drafted to play the slot. Yes, he has to prove he can stay healthy, but once again dropping him for an UFA would just make no sense what-so-ever.

I don't understand why anyone would want to give up on Gonzo, Brown and Hughes. I don't believe for a second that Polian makes roster decisions because of ego - other than in the sense that he wants to win. They are on the roster because they have God given talent that justified their high draft position in the first place. He'd be a fool to give up on that without a terrific reason.

Hughes has that rare speed that the Colts crave in their DEs, and he is making strides. The coaches apparently expect him to put it all together at some point. Why conceivable basis do we have for doubting them? Who should take his spot, a UFA with a good work ethic? They are a dime a dozen - first round talent is not.

Brown can break a huge gain like nobodies business, and is a threat catching the ball as well. We've all seen him do it in prime time against good defenses. Yes, he's had some injury problems, and yes, he doesn't block all that well, but those things can actually improve over time. Carter is a welcome addition, but he is a complement to Brown, not a replacement. And once again, who would take Brown's spot? Neither Spann, nor James, nor Evans nor Moore come remotely close to Brown's ability.

Lastly Gonzo - if healthy (big if) might shortly be the best receiver on the team. I love Wayne but he is slipping. Garcon has more speed and strength, but he's wildly inconsistent. Collie is perfect for what he does, but he's not an outside threat. Gonzo just gets open and makes plays, and was quickly becoming a "Manning favorite" before going down. Some people think he was drafted to play the slot, but if you look at the timing I think he was drafted to replace Marvin. Collie was the one drafted to play the slot. Yes, he has to prove he can stay healthy, but once again dropping him for an UFA would just make no sense what-so-ever.

Where have you been the past 5 years or so(in a pineapple under the sea)?Are we watching the same games?I think you're confusing madden 11 with actual reality.lol!

I don't understand why anyone would want to give up on Gonzo, Brown and Hughes. I don't believe for a second that Polian makes roster decisions because of ego - other than in the sense that he wants to win. They are on the roster because they have God given talent that justified their high draft position in the first place. He'd be a fool to give up on that without a terrific reason. ... ...

Gonzalez needs to show he can stay healthy - I would expect the Colts to give him that chance. He has played in 31 of 48 possible regular season games, with 99 catches and 7 TDs - all decent numbers. Since he is in the last year of his rookie contract, I would expect he will be released unless he plays the entire season and returns to the productivity he had in 2008. His pre-season work so far does not seem to bode well ... but we are really just at the half-way point of the pre-season, so he could still recover.

If Blair White cannot get-off the PUP list, that creates a hole in the slot depth chart. Outside receivers are Wayne and Garcon, with Collie and Gonzo in the slot (but each have well-documented durability issues). Smith is most likely to fill WR#5 because he brings ST assets, but he generally plays outside, and a slot is needed. Chris Brooks is the next slot option, but he has been inconsistent (although he played well against Washington) and doesn't bring much to ST. Gilreath is next, he brings KR/PR skill, but is also an outside receiver. This leaves Horn, who played well in the slot (albeit in limited reps) against the 'Skins, and has ST abilities (he almost blocked another punt in yesterday's practice). Williams and Moore have not done well at all, and I would expect they will be cut when the team goes from 90 to 75.

My guess for the WRs when the 53-man roster is posted going into week 1:

Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez and Smith; with Gilreath, Horn and Brooks on the practice squad; White to IR.

balzer doesn't want to admit it. CFL bias maybe?

There's nothing to admit except that Chick isn't that good. He has essentially the same skill set as Mathis, Freeney, and Hughes, except not nearly as good as Mathis and Freeney. I would say that unless the Colts are willing to part ways with Hughes that chick won't make the team. To keep 4 guys that bring the same skill set on the D-line is not a wise choice. Just not that many roster spots to keep 4 guys that do the exact same thing.

brayton and anderson can't play ST. can you say cut?

Chick all the way.

why would it matter if they could play it or not, they were brought in here to contriubte on the line not one special teams, they can play the run and they can pass rush not the best but they still can, chick will be cut no buts about it.

Like I said in my other post, He has been going against lower level talent in preseason. If he had to go against other teams starting OT's I don't think his pass rush moves(or lack there of) will have the same impact. My whole point about Chick is there are more versatile guys that bring more to the table. There are only so many roster spots and IMO Chick shouldn't get one.

Chick is an example of the "Polian effect". Chick has proven in the past that he simply does not possess NFL level talent. Polian can't or won't see this obvious fact so Chick keep coming back year after year. Instead of signing someone who can actually play at the NFL level, Polian will keep bringing him to fail and waste a camp roster spot every year.

alright, alright. am i holding out a little hope for a guy i watched here at home for years? sure. did i over-exaggerate with "beast"? sure. i may have a bias. I was actually ready to accept that he wouldn't make the team until the redskins performance (and if he was cut wanting the Riders to pick him up, we stink this year and could use him back). a glimmer of hope for the upcoming GB game.