Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How potent our offense will be moving forward hinges on.....

YOUR GM

The development of our O-line. I know, you're thinking, "state the obvious," right? However, I feel it's even more true with the type of offense we want to run. The only way we can fully utilize the versatility that a 2-3TE set brings is to have an offensive line that is self-sufficient in pass protection. I've noticed that we really haven't thrown to our TE's a lot when in multiple TE sets, and that's mainly because we're always leaving at least 1 of them in to pass protect.

When you look at the way New England runs their 2 TE offense, you'll see that most of the time, both Gronkowski and Hernandez are released on routes at the same time. That is something we are not able to do yet (consistently), and won't be able to until our line gains more chemistry and cohesiveness. I don't think Allen and Fleener's lack of catches this preseason indicates our true objective using them in this offense. I think it's, more or less, due to circumstance at this point. Hopefully, Arians will be able to really open it up at some point this season.

Also a sidenote: I think Mewelde Moore will be HUGE for this offense when he comes back. I was watching the 1st preseason game again and his blitz pickup and blocking ability is A-1, in terms of 3rd down backs. I think he and Ballard will end up being the major players in this backfield when it's all said and done.

You know it, I know it, we all know it, the coaches know it. What can be done about it (O line)?

We don't have the cap space even if we traded our #1 for a really good OT, if one were available. We have problems at both G and RT, and so far Satele hasn't exactly been Jeff Saturday.

I think the team will continue to try to improve that line when possible, even if they're small improvements. Everything you stated is true. I just don't think we'll see any miracles. Let's just hope the right side figures it out.

I believe all the O-Line needs to strive is more time to gel. As a former O-linemen from high school. Every time a new face would show up we would stink because of chemistry. The only way to gain that Chemistry is to play in real situations and play in difficult places such as Chicago. I believe the O-Line will look a lot better after the bye in Week 4 then the did before.

The development of our O-line. I know, you're thinking, "state the obvious," right? However, I feel it's even more true with the type of offense we want to run. The only way we can fully utilize the versatility that a 2-3TE set brings is to have an offensive line that is self-sufficient in pass protection. I've noticed that we really haven't thrown to our TE's a lot when in multiple TE sets, and that's mainly because we're always leaving at least 1 of them in to pass protect.

When you look at the way New England runs their 2 TE offense, you'll see that most of the time, both Gronkowski and Hernandez are released on routes at the same time. That is something we are not able to do yet (consistently), and won't be able to until our line gains more chemistry and cohesiveness. I don't think Allen and Fleener's lack of catches this preseason indicates our true objective using them in this offense. I think it's, more or less, due to circumstance at this point. Hopefully, Arians will be able to really open it up at some point this season.

Also a sidenote: I think Mewelde Moore will be HUGE for this offense when he comes back. I was watching the 1st preseason game again and his blitz pickup and blocking ability is A-1, in terms of 3rd down backs. I think he and Ballard will end up being the major players in this backfield when it's all said and done.

Yeah I dont New England will be able to run them both on routes now after hearing about thier ofensive line woes. They may need thier help alot more on blocking this year.

I believe all the O-Line needs to strive is more time to gel. As a former O-linemen from high school. Every time a new face would show up we would stink because of chemistry. The only way to gain that Chemistry is to play in real situations and play in difficult places such as Chicago. I believe the O-Line will look a lot better after the bye in Week 4 then the did before.

I agree with this 100% this Oline willl definitely get better for sure just needs to have that cohesion and gel... I see justince turning into one of the best RT the colts have ever had, he definitely has the talent and skills for it.

I agree. I know this isn't the finished product, as far as Grigson's vision of our o-line goes, but I think we can be a sufficient unit this year with more time to gel. I think a lot of us have wrote players off too soon (on both sides of the ball), and that's especially true for particular players on the o-line.

For as much as we think Mike Mcglynn sucks (and all early signs point to that being the case), the coaching staff MUST see something in him during practice that merits him being penciled in as the starter to date. There was positive talk out of camp about how he was developing into the leader of the o-line. I want to see why that is and give him another chance to prove himself. We've only seen him in the preseason opener, and he along with Justice looked lost. Maybe they just need more time to gel, maybe they just flat out suck... or maybe it's both. Point is, we need to be patient and let it play out before we (myself included) start making hasty generalizations and assumptions about the unit as a whole.

Yeah I dont New England will be able to run them both on routes now after hearing about thier ofensive line woes. They may need thier help alot more on blocking this year.

I can definitely see that as a possibility. If anything, I think Gronk's numbers will take a hit before Hernandez, as Gronk is clearly the more capable blocker of the two.

no need to start a new thread, so figured I'd toss this in here via twitter:

Evan Silva@evansilva

#Colts might catch criticism for trotting Collie right back out there, but he is their best receiver on field. Better than Wayne at this pt.

The statement that he feels Collie is better than Wayne caught my eye. Not entirely sure I agree with that. On the other hand, he may have a point about trotting Collie out too soon.