Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we keep 3 QBs?

StewieG

I know most teams ( at least from what I have heard) tend to keep 3 QBs.

I know we got Stanton for mainly his veteran leadership..but man Harnish has looked really smooth out there and has played very good.

Do you think we end up keeping all 3 of them on the final roster of 53?

I think they will end up taking the risk of dropping Harnish down to the practice squad. Quite honestly I'm not sure if he'll make it thru waivers but I feel only having 53 players on a roster makes it really tough to have 3 of those as QB, which you normally only need 1 of.

Personally I like Harnish better than Stanton, but Stanton is the vet and deserves the nod in this case. All three of our QB's are better than anything we had last year, very interesting.

I think we might have to if we wanna keep Harnish around.

I have a strong feeling he wouldn't make it to the PS.

I seem to remember there were several teams that wanted to sign him as a undrafted free agent had we not picked him last.

He's shown some skills too so I would expect someone to find room on their team.

My gut tells me we keep 3 at least this year.

Maybe next year we go to luck and harnish and let Stanton go if we only want two.

Didn't we sign Stanton to a 1 year contract?

It would be dumb not to unless the Colts try to pick up 1 through the waiver wire and release Stanton or Harnish but the chances of that are happening are slim to none, To me they both stay I really dont even think that will be looked hard at by Grigson from the standpoint that there just isn't that many real good backups out there that will likely be released, I mean Bucs arent gonna get rid of Orlovsky

I would keep Harnish over Stanton. Drew will be gone next year anyway, and if you merely want a Veteran lending Luck a hand, pick up a guy who gets cut...... Harnish, while also a Rook, is signed multiple years, and cheap..... in addition to being just as skilled as Stanton, just a small bit less experienced..... Stanton has only started 13 games, he's not exactly Jon Kitna here.....

We wont send Harnish or Stanton to the practice squad I dont think, I mean do we really want to waste 1 of 8 spots on the squad for a 3rd string QB unless you reallyyyyyyyyyyy think Luck will tank when the bullets start flying for real and Harnish is the future of your franchise. They all 3 make the team

Yes, I think it would completely asinine to try to put him on the PS. Somebody would pick him up in no time. He has shown that he has some skills and could easily be a good back up QB for some team and he will more than likely be the backup for us next season since Stanton is only on a 1 yr. contract. IMO, there is no way he gets cut.

I think it would be in our best interest to keep him and groom him. I really feel he has a great chance to be the next Kevin Kolb type at backup where he plays really well everytime he goes in and everyone thinks he is the next good starting QB which makes teams willing to pay up to get him from us. Obviously as in Kolb's situation, it doesn't always work out for the other team, but it helps out the team who has him to trade!

There is no way Stanton goes. The team won't want two rookie QB's as the only guys on the roster.

I'd like to keep all 3 as Harnish has shown potential....I feel there is a good chance he'll be claimed if they release him and try to sign to the practice squad.

Stanton has looked great in preseason. Harnish looked very poised for a rookie from the MAC. He tends to try too hard the first couple series and feels the pressure to perform but sucks it up and does the job as he did last night.

Colts management has shown some real outside-the-box thinking which is unusual in the NFL. I would not bet anything on the outcome of the 2 or 3 QB question. Agree that Harnish will not clear waivers if cut. No clue whatsoever as to why he was drafted if he is not going to be kept. Certainly has played above the expectations of most on this forum.

We need the extra roster spot in other areas .

No we dont

3 QB's

3 running backs

5 wide receivers

4 Tight Ends

10 O Lineman

6 D Lineman (lineman on such as Mckinney IR Dont count that I know of)

7 OLB's

4 ILBS (ILBS on IR dont count such as Scott and Edds)

7 Corners

4 safeties

8 PS makes 61

No we dont

3 QB's

3 running backs

5 wide receivers

4 Tight Ends

10 O Lineman

7 OLB's

7 Corners

4 safeties

We probably want to keep a kicker, punter, and long snapper.

No we dont

3 QB's

3 running backs

5 wide receivers

4 Tight Ends

10 O Lineman

7 OLB's

7 Corners

4 safeties

8 PS makes 61

You could easily remove

1 TE

1 OL

At least 2 LBer's and 1 CB.

Add 3 ST's, 1 RB and possibly 1 WR.

We probably want to keep a kicker, punter, and long snapper.

yeah dang kickers forgot about them and long snappers lol so 6 OLB's 6 Corners 4 wide receiver (two to PS that wont be counted towards the main roster and insert Justin Snow, Mcafee and Vinny

yeah dang kickers forgot about them and long snappers lol so 6 OLB's 6 Corners 4 wide receiver (two to PS that wont be counted towards the main roster and insert Justin Snow, Mcafee and Vinny

If you're planning on keeping Collie, that may only leave you with 3 WR's the first game; one or two of which are rookies.

we could go

1.Wayne

2.Collie

3.Hilton

4.Brazill

since that 4th wide receiver wont be used alot anyway since we have Allen and Fleener he can take the 4th wide receivers place, Decision decisions

Adams and Avery to PS or Avery released and Ross PS

we could go

1.Wayne

2.Collie

3.Hilton

4.Brazill

since that 4th wide receiver wont be used alot anyway since we have Allen and Fleener he can take the 4th wide receivers place, Decision decisions

Adams and Avery to PS or Avery released and Ross PS

I'm pretty sure we keep at least 5 wrs. I'd be beyond shocked if we sent Avery to the PS.

I don't see the harm in keeping 3 QBs. I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but isn't there a thing where teams can dress 3 active QBs on gameday and one of them doesn't count against the roster?

You used to dress 45 on gameday out of your 53 and could activate a 46th if he was a QB and the other two QB's couldn't play.

They changed the rules to simply allow a team to dress 46 on gameday now.

No. we don't need 3 if something goes wrong you can pick up one then. we don't need two clipboard holders.Take out last year.with Peyton we didn't need two.

Its not that easy. Harnish already knows the playbook and IMO is being groomed to be the backup next season. It would take another QB 2 months to be comfortable with the playbook. Harnish and Stanton both stay.

I would keep Harnish over Stanton. Drew will be gone next year anyway, and if you merely want a Veteran lending Luck a hand, pick up a guy who gets cut...... Harnish, while also a Rook, is signed multiple years, and cheap..... in addition to being just as skilled as Stanton, just a small bit less experienced..... Stanton has only started 13 games, he's not exactly Jon Kitna here.....

Why would you cut Stanton since he only signed a 1 year contract and get a Vet that is cut by another team :scratch: Sorry doesn't sound reasonable to me since Stanton has played with the starters. Next year they could keep Harnish and not re-sign Stanton. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it for what it's worth. haha

You used to dress 45 on gameday out of your 53 and could activate a 46th if he was a QB and the other two QB's couldn't play.

They changed the rules to simply allow a team to dress 46 on gameday now.

So the 53 man roster consists of 45 gameday players and 8 practice squad players? Or is it 53 total, dress whichever 45 you like, and then have another 8 on the practice squad for a total of 61?

So the 53 man roster consists of 45 gameday players and 8 practice squad players? Or is it 53 total, dress whichever 45 you like, and then have another 8 on the practice squad for a total of 61?

A total of 61. A 53 man roster, a 46 man game day roster (used to be 45 + an emergency quarterback). And separate from the 53 man roster is the 8 man practice squad.

I believe the 3rd QB can be a PS guy that doesnt count against the active roster. He can dress for the game. Where's FJC at to answer these questions.

There used to be an emergency quarterback designation, but that was specific to the game day roster. That player wouldn't count against the 45 man game day roster, but would count against the 53 man roster. They got rid of that designation and expanded the game day roster to 46.

Any player that can be part of the 46 man game day roster counts against the 53 man roster. A player from the practice squad can't play in a game unless he's promoted to the 53 man roster. And he will count against the 53 man roster for at least three weeks.

Its not that easy. Harnish already knows the playbook and IMO is being groomed to be the backup next season. It would take another QB 2 months to be comfortable with the playbook. Harnish and Stanton both stay.

If we keep harnish he'll be on the PS until next year,

If we keep harnish he'll be on the PS until next year,

Harnish will not make it to the PS. He has shown that he has some talent and does not look overwhelmed out there. Some team will snag him long before he makes it to our PS.

If we want to keep a Harnish we are going to have to keep him on the 53 main roster. I have no problem keeping him because if he continues to improve we could always use him for trade bait in 2-3 years. Also, QB is the most important position in this league so there is no reason to only carry two and then think we can pick some scrub off the street and do anything. We saw how pathetic Collins was and it would be the same thing. Harnish and Stanton have been in our system for an entire offseason so we might as well just keep both.

Then next season we can let Stanton walk and promote Harnish to back up. Then hopefully in 2-3 years we can trick some team into giving us some draft picks like the Pats did with Cassel.