Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State Of The Union

PatBeachIsBoss

How good of a job are the Colts (front office,coaches,and players) doing. Think of this as an approval rating. Feel free to give a reason, but please do not comment about other peoples post. This is a opinion on the Colts, and not other peoples thoughts. The break down would be offense, defense, special teams, coaches, and front office.

Offense: A- why; When 100% healthy Colts offense would be an A, but due to last season and some training camp setbacks, injuries are the only way to stop Manning and his weapons. Now I for one think Manning plays week one. If not I see a vet coming in to take snaps. I think the o-line will improve each week, creating a good run game to compliment the passing game. Are runningbacks have alot to prove this season. From an ageing vet with some past injury issues in Joe, to Donald Brown showing why we took him and not letting an upcoming rookie( carter) take his spot just yet. As for are pass catchers, stay healty boys, like are group. Overall as long as Manning is 80% he will still find a way to put points up.

Defense: C+ why: We are an average defense who has the potential to be really good, or really sub par. When we have the lead is when we are obviously at are best, but with some of the new guys we could be good at all times. Are d-line needs to prove they can stuff the run. New additions were brought in for this reason. Nevis seems to be a gem, havn't seen the vet free agents enuff to pass judement yet. Linebackers will be intresting. Will anybody step up? Secondery looks a little suspect. Bethaea will be good as usual, after that we will see. Overall the defense looks to have some upside as long as we tackle.

Special teams: B why: As long as are punter dosn't do another Michael Phellps, and Mr. Clutch is kicking are kickers look great. The weakness here is are coverage teams. Kickoffs being moved up will help (sorry Bears), but we still have to punt some. We have no return game, unless someone comes from left field I don't know the answer. Overal are kickers do good enuff to get a passing grade, but could be better on returns and coverage.

Coaches: A- why: Coach Caldwell has overall done a good job after being an all most unherd of to coach of one of the best teams in the NFL. He went to the Superbowl and imop did his best coaching last season, leading the team into the playoffs in an injury riddled year( I know Manning had alot to do with it). He has made some iffy calls, but has done a nice job of keeping the Colts the Colts. At least he dosn't run his mouth like the Ryans. Coach Christensen seems ready to add a little more of his style to the offense. Coach Coyer has a lot to prove. This def seems to have lost a step since Meeks left. If the Texans run wild he might not fill presure from fans, but the front office as well.

Fromt office: B+ why: In 2002 the Colts had a choice to move to L.A. Thank goodness they didn't. This act alone deserves an A+, and has set a tone for what the Colts stand for. So befor Manning took less money than he could have, the meaning of being a Colt was set in the values of the franchise and the community laid before it. That aside are personel department has done a verry good job judgeing talent. The lasr few years have been not as good but that seems to be more due to injury. Overall the front office has done great job makeing us a contender every year and doing so much for not just Indy, but the entire state.

I will say this. I love Peyton, and we dont win with out Peyton. But our team is a b+ to a- with our offense healthy. Not just Peyton. We need wayne,addai, brown, collie, clark, pierre all healthy and ready to play everygame. with out this well oiled machine working well, then this team is a c+-b-. period! we will not be elite without all of them playing this year. maybe i am wrong..i hope i am wrong

I will say this. I love Peyton, and we dont win with out Peyton. But our team is a b+ to a- with our offense healthy. Not just Peyton. We need wayne,addai, brown, collie, clark, pierre all healthy and ready to play everygame. with out this well oiled machine working well, then this team is a c+-b-. period! we will not be elite without all of them playing this year. maybe i am wrong..i hope i am wrong

True we have skilled players on offense,but without peyton who get's them the ball?

True we have skilled players on offense,but without peyton who get's them the ball?

I did say we dont win without peyton. but we all saw what happens when peyton doesnt have the skilled players out there that know what they are doing. i think a few games we had collie,addia,clark, and pierre out. and a combination of them most of the end of the season. Manning did what he could do, which was better then anyone else, with the fill in players. but he had a really rough stretch there just trying to win a game. he willed us into the playoffs dont get me wrong. But i just dont see that happening again if we dont have our skilled players healthy and ready to go.

I did say we dont win without peyton. but we all saw what happens when peyton doesnt have the skilled players out there that know what they are doing. i think a few games we had collie,addia,clark, and pierre out. and a combination of them most of the end of the season. Manning did what he could do, which was better then anyone else, with the fill in players. but he had a really rough stretch there just trying to win a game. he willed us into the playoffs dont get me wrong. But i just dont see that happening again if we dont have our skilled players healthy and ready to go.

Peyton can grind out wins when his weapons are out,that's why he is so special.

I'll break it down like this

Offense: Incomplete. You really can't take anything away from Friday night because not only was Manning out all but Garcon of our starting WRs were out as well. We don't know if there is any improvement over last year or not. I will say this I was impressed by the left side of the line with Castonzo and Reitz. The right side still needs some work. I do like Carter I think he's going to give our offense something we haven't had in years. The big question though is health? If healthy our WRs are as good as any teams unit in the league yet we are already dealing with injuries there after an injury filled year. Then the biggie, Mannings health? As he goes so does the team. I will say this they HAVE to do something about the back up spot there is a difference between not being as good as Manning and just not trying. The guys we have out there we might as well not be trying with.

Defense: C-. The tackling has been bad and that's something to be concrned about. I wil say we don't really have our new toys out there yet to see what they can do due to injury in terms of free agents. I will say I saw something I haven't seen in along time on Friday night, a true push from the DT spot almost all night. I thik Nevis and Johnson are going to push each other for playing time in a good way. Moala is solid but I am excited to see what Harris can add. Heck even Foster was getting a good rush on Friday. At he linebacker spot, I really hope Sims comes threw. Angerer looks a little weak to me but man Conner makes me forget all about Session. At the end d end spot we could have four good pass rushers. Freeney and Mathis are Freeney and Mathis. Check and Hughes both had good games on Friday night and I hope they keep it up. Now the bad news, Brayton did not look good and we have yet to see Anderson. I hope both catch on because we could use their run stopping. Now the secondary. This is the problem. We have Bullitt and Bethea who are both good but we have nothing behind them. Then I am not sold at all on Lacey as a starter. I think corner could be our frist round pick next year if not WR. We still play that 10 yards off thing too but hopefully that is just a product of the base defense in the pre-season and we have adjusted for the season. It's pretty clear teams have adjusted to it.

Special teams: Kickers A+, League A+, coverage units F: I think's very possiable that AV is the second best kicker on our team. Pat McAfee has a game changing leg. I am sure we are going to see some kinda crazy field goal try from him before the season is over. AV is still money, that 55 yarder on Friday showed us Adam still has it. The new kickoff rule might be the best thing to happen to the Colts other than drafting Peyton. Our coverage units are still very much a work in progress. I don't expect big things from them just because the Colts don't value special teams as much as other teams.

Coaching: B: I am not one of those who thinks Caldwell is a clueless oaf on the sidelines. I think this is very much his team. Over all he has done a good job 14-0 start and a Super Bowl trip his rookie year was very impressive. Follow that up with the job he did having to bring in new guys last year every week and getting them up to speed and still winning our divsion was also very well done. Now he has been anything but perfect. I really think we need it added to his contrac that someone else hndles timeouts. Also he is not very good at adjusting on the fly. I think he is very good at coming up with a game plan but does not adjustin game very well.

Front office: B+: Polian has not had the homerun picks that he has had in years past in the draft but he has still managed to put togeather very solid classes from top to bottom. I don't know if any team has gotten as much value out of his rounds four threw seven picks than Polian has in recent years. Also Polian has had at least one and maybe two more busts in recent years. I also have to knock a few points off for the PR nightmare that was the way they handled the week 16 thing. I don't blame him for doing it because I think that was Caldwell's call but Polian very much became the face of it for the way he handled it after it. Polian gets credit though for being able to find guys out of no where that help us here in big ways. Again the job he did last year every week having to jugle the roster and still putting togeather a playoff teams is remarkable.

Ownership: A+: Jim Irsay is everything his dad was not. You are going to be hard pressed to find a much better owner in sports.

ROGER PENSKE?

Racing isn't anymore a sport than the drivers are athletes. Its the only "sport" where fat guys can win. The only reason we don't see fat guy drivers anymore is because of how marketing and image has become so pervasive that it is the main component to selecting a driver.

*cough cough Danika Patrick cough

Racing isn't anymore a sport than the drivers are athletes. Its the only "sport" where fat guys can win. The only reason we don't see fat guy drivers anymore is because of how marketing and image has become so pervasive that it is the main component to selecting a driver.

*cough cough Danika Patrick cough

Ahh, you seem to have overlooked bowling. :P lol