Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

will one of chargers NT become available

coltnorth

Just thinking Chargres may cut either Franklin or Garay. One NT should be sufficient as both would be two down guys anyways. Maybe a hope for the colts?

I think Garay is expected play some snaps at DE in addition to NT, or maybe that was just speculation earlier in camp ....sounds like they plan to use them both and are currently listed 1-2 on the depth chart. Don't see how either will be cut.

Nose Tackle isnt the problem anyway, we need a 3-4 defensive end, someone thats better at setting the edges and holding there blocks they have no gap control, I expect it will get better when Redding returns at Chicago however, But I have been very pleased with Moala at Defensive End and even when playing Nose vs Washington our problem is the other End

Nose Tackle isnt the problem anyway, we need a 3-4 defensive end, someone thats better at setting the edges and holding there blocks they have no gap control, I expect it will get better when Redding returns at Chicago however, But I have been very pleased with Moala at Defensive End and even when playing Nose vs Washington our problem is the other End

You are right about Moala...so far so good there.

Didn't that just pick up Garay via free agency anyway? If I remember correctly it was a "decent" contract too.

According to this Link he signed a 2yr contract.

2012 1.6mill

2013 5.0 mill

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/4/3/2921632/antonio-garays-funky-new-contract

I don't think SD is gonna cut him. They could but wouldn't that be money wasted?

I disagree with that the NT is the anchor of a 3-4... a good NT frees up the LBs to make the play which I'm sure you already know.

I did see some plays where the DEs were over pursuing but the NTs weren't getting much push especially mookie

I have NEVER liked Moala! Period. I think we're going to find somebody of value to put there

I disagree with that the NT is the anchor of a 3-4... a good NT frees up the LBs to make the play which I'm sure you already know.

I did see some plays where the DEs were over pursuing but the NTs weren't getting much push especially mookie

Did you record the game?

I have NEVER liked Moala! Period. I think we're going to find somebody of value to put there

Go look at the game in slow motion, he isnt the problem as a matter of fact he has done well even at Nose he did well vs Washington, Ricardo Matthews and Nevis got there butts handed to them a few times and we lost containment on the outside

Go look at the game in slow motion, he isnt the problem as a matter of fact he has done well even at Nose he did well vs Washington, Ricardo Matthews and Nevis got there butts handed to them a few times and we lost containment on the outside

Im pretty sure Moala was not playing nose. He has only played end.

It was Johnson and McKinnney at nose and Shirley later in the game.

Im pretty sure Moala was not playing nose. He has only played end.

It was Johnson and McKinnney at nose and Shirley later in the game.

Nope Moala played Nose a couple times, Im recording the Steelers vs Bills game, after that game I will go back and double check

Fili Moala has done nothing all preseason.

I rewatched the Washington game and Moala played 3 full qtrs. Was totally ineffective.

I think they should cut him loose.

Not sure what you are looking for. He doesn't have a very glamorous job right now.

I didn't tape the game Gavin. If I see a replay on NFl Net. I will watch again.

Moala for some reason just sticks in my crawl. I don't know why..

Now on the subject of Matthews, I've always wondered how he hangs around as well!

I liked Nevis in the 4-3, but he may not in all actuality be a fit.

I like what I have seen from the two new guys Anunoby and Shirley.

Both of them are HUGE and can push the blockers backwards.

My feeling is there is more upside with these two players.

With Moala, Ricardo Matthews and even Mookie Johnson you know what you are getting. They all have been there for several years and have done next to nothing.

I hope they keep the new players.

Pass rush isnt a defensive ends job in a 3-4 and he actually has gotten hits on the quarterback especially in the washington game anyway http://www.fromtheru...the-3-4-defense this is a good illustration and explanation

You are correct Gavin. The 3-4 defense was developed to stop the run. DE's are meant to control their gaps so the LBer's can make the plays. If people are expecting pass rush from our DE's in the 3-4, they are going to be highly disappointed, considering it's not their job to do so.

I am done trying to make my point.

You think Moala is good, I think he stinks and that Jason Shirley is much better.

I dont think Moala has the mental aggressivness needed. I think he loafs it.

If the Colts keep Moala, (which they probably will) then time will tell.

But my feeling is he will be a liability to the defense and once again they will struggle.

If the play is a pass, I want an end who can rush.

Then talk to Pagano about going back to a 4-3 lol, I actually like the idea of this 3-4 much better because come the regular season it will be harder to dictate where the pass rush is coming from instead of it just coming from Freeney and Mathis

You are correct Gavin. The 3-4 defense was developed to stop the run. DE's are meant to control their gaps so the LBer's can make the plays. If people are expecting pass rush from our DE's in the 3-4, they are going to be highly disappointed, considering it's not their job to do so.

And you think Moala can control his gap?

Props Gavin. You're learning more about the game, and getting pretty good at breaking down players' performance. :thmup:

I agree that NT isn't a problem when Mookie is in there, but the problem now with McKinney on IR is depth. San Diego has 3 legit Nose Tackles; Garay, Franklin, and Cam Thomas. I have no idea if they plan to keep all 3, Thomas and Garay can both probably play DE too, so who knows? Of course, I wanted Franklin in the offseason over McKinney......shows what I know I guess.

And you think Moala can control his gap?

I think Moala has been doing what he's supposed to do. Everybody had a bad day in Washington, whether that was a result of the Colts doing a really bad job or if Washington just had a really good day, I don't know, but I thought the defense had done a pretty admiral job the first 2 preseason games. Do I think Moala is going to be an all-pro? No, but he hasn't done that bad.

Did you record the game?

I don't need to record the game, stop asking me that... mookie sucks as an NT which is why I think McKinney got to play earlier during the redskins game.

If your NT sucks you will get ran over in the 3-4

I don't need to record the game, stop asking me that... mookie sucks as an NT which is why I think McKinney got to play earlier during the redskins game.

We were getting gashed more on outside runs. Jamal Williams in his prime wouldn't be able to stop outside runs. It's the DEs and OLBs that are responsible for stopping those.

I see, I suppose your better at coaching the game then our coaches then since thats part of what they do which is go over the tape, maybe you should apply to coach :thmup:

So should the ends just stand there blocking and not try to rush the qb?

Hoping that Dwight Freeney and Mathis can get in?

Actually, that is what the DE in a 3-4 is supposed to do: occupy as many blockers as possible, protect Freeney and Mathis so that they can rush the QB.

NT's and DE's in the 3-4 aren't really judged by their stats. If they pick up a few sacks or tackles here or there, so much the better, but that's not their primary responsibility.

Actually, that is what the DE in a 3-4 is supposed to do: occupy as many blockers as possible, protect Freeney and Mathis so that they can rush the QB.

NT's and DE's in the 3-4 aren't really judged by their stats. If they pick up a few sacks or tackles here or there, so much the better, but that's not their primary responsibility.

Not a very sexy job until the game check arrives.

But if were going on Johnson getting tackles then hes got 5 in 3 games thats good for what his responsibilities are, Also he dropped back into pass coverage lol over the middle, he looked alright doing it to, I think Mckinney dropped back once to if I remember right