Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone See Merrill Hoge on ESPN?

The Peytonator

The broadcast man asked him what team he thought could surprise everyone.......Oh yeah, he picked the Colts. When the guy asked him I was thinking he'd pick someone like Seattle or Buffalo, but he said us. He talked about our change in philosophy on defense, the improvements on the Oline, all the speedy receivers Luck has to work with. He said that everyone thinks Houston is gonna run away with the division, but he feels we could surprise a lot of people.

It really is nice to get some praise from a talking head. I respect Hoge's opinion a LOT more than other guy's. He actually looks at film and forms his own opinion. Most analysts just look at names and what the previous record was, so they say we're going 3-13. I feel a little more justified with my 9-7ish prediction.

I've always like Hoge too...even as a player :) That being said, I still do have concerns about the OL here and defense as a whole. I'm curious to see how Mathis and Freeney fare at OLB over the course of a whole season - DE to OLB transition is kind of hit and miss, but I hope it works out. I have this team going somewhere around 6-10. No #1 QB has ever finished above .500 in their first season, so while 9-7 may seem attainable, history is against it. There's a first for everything though, right? Helps a little playing in the AFC South. Jacksonville is....well Jacksonville. I'm not really sold on Locker and the Titans. The Texans are still pretty formidable though.

I think this team could suprise people both ways. Our record could end up 10-6 or 3-13. The simple fact is this team had so many wins over the years because manning was so superior at the qb position, we all witnessed that last season. Now you flip the team over and have an entire new philosophy and direction and you have the one thing the team lacked last year, a talented QB in Luck. Saying that, Luck is certainly a very talented QB and he has shown calm and great decision making but he is a rookie still and he has no track record at this level and nobody can honsestly predict how the league will adapt to him as well as how he will adapt to very talented and determined defensive coordinators.

We still have too many questions on this team for a rookie QB, no matter how talented, to overcome and lift the whole team up. The Oline looks awful, especially on the rt side. The defense has lost a NT and we weren't overly great there to start with. We have Freeney and Mathis who have switched to LB's and they have shown little to make me warm and fuzzy.

So while we all have seen great things from Luck in the preseason, we have also seen the bad on the team we know is present. We should learn a lot from this season, develop some very nice wr's and 2 really talented TE's and find out about a few young olineman. We shall see if the guys we have on D can make this 3-4 transition and keep our offense on the field. Next year, we get to use money to pick up a major piece for competing at a high level , have experience and gel more as a team.

If we get to 10 wins I would be extreme shocked. If we get 3 wins, I will be disappointed but will understand why too. That's why we are a team nobody can figure out. Can luck add 5 extra wins that a normal avg QB couldn't get because he is that good, much as Manning did or is this team so questionable that even Manning could squeeze out more wins than they should? Getting closer to answering that question. Come on opening day!!!!

I've always like Hoge too...even as a player :) That being said, I still do have concerns about the OL here and defense as a whole. I'm curious to see how Mathis and Freeney fare at OLB over the course of a whole season - DE to OLB transition is kind of hit and miss, but I hope it works out. I have this team going somewhere around 6-10. No #1 QB has ever finished above .500 in their first season, so while 9-7 may seem attainable, history is against it. There's a first for everything though, right? Helps a little playing in the AFC South. Jacksonville is....well Jacksonville. I'm not really sold on Locker and the Titans. The Texans are still pretty formidable though.

Actually, Denver went 9-7 in Elway's 1st year and made the playoffs as a WC. As far as I know, he's the only QB drafted #1 who went to the playoffs his rookie year. I will say this - had Luck been on our roster last year, we could've gone 8-8. We were competitive in a number of games where solid QB play would've made the difference in getting the W. Looking at our schedule, I can see us winning 6 maybe even 7 games at home. I'm predicting 9-7 for 2012 as well and consider that our crappy 2011 team still managed to win 2 divisional games. I'm thinking 4-2 within the division this year, sweeping the Jags.

If we can somehow pull it out in Chicago, we have an good chance of starting 3-0 going into the GB game.

Are we talking about the same Merril who proclaimed RG3 was/is better than Luck and the Colts should have taken him number 1?

http://profootballta...ffin-over-luck/

Well played. I don't have the official stats at the ready but if I went back and did some research I bet I would find that 95% of the posts about Hoge were derisive in nature. But yet here is obvious emerging brilliance as he has seen the light shining in Indy.

A fool yesterday but a football savant today.

The broadcast man asked him what team he thought could surprise everyone.......Oh yeah, he picked the Colts. When the guy asked him I was thinking he'd pick someone like Seattle or Buffalo, but he said us. He talked about our change in philosophy on defense, the improvements on the Oline, all the speedy receivers Luck has to work with. He said that everyone thinks Houston is gonna run away with the division, but he feels we could surprise a lot of people.

It really is nice to get some praise from a talking head. I respect Hoge's opinion a LOT more than other guy's. He actually looks at film and forms his own opinion. Most analysts just look at names and what the previous record was, so they say we're going 3-13. I feel a little more justified with my 9-7ish prediction.

Funny though....the one I saw Hoge looked like he had been up all night when he said it. Was he out late with Schefty and Grudin? :)

All three have said really good things about us! I for one am thrilled to see this. Lets get the season started, lets get the 'real refs' signed, and play NFL Football....Let the best MONSTER win. GO :coltslogo: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just cause the man doesn't say what we as fans like doesn't make him incorrect or any more right about him picking the colts.... so far Griffin has looked better because of his team but luck will have the better career hopefully.

I think the colts will win this division its not that far of a stretch at all the defense just needs a good NT and they have the potential to be top 10... the offense is already finding its way... 9 wins

I'd like to see Luck be able to pick up on the blitz better, I may be wrong but to me it doesnt seem that he picks up on it real good yet alot of times I see a man come free, hes been real good about getting rid of the ball quick though

I'd like to see Luck be able to pick up on the blitz better, I may be wrong but to me it doesnt seem that he picks up on it real good yet alot of times I see a man come free, hes been real good about getting rid of the ball quick though

I think you are off on this one. Check out the Steelers game and Collinsworth's comments about how he recognized blitz but knew he had it blocked and did not panic. A few series later he recognizes another blitz, realizes that they are outnumbered and has to throw hot and does for a 9 yard completion to Fleener.

And your last line in bold - isn't getting rid of it quick a sign of recognition?

I think you are off on this one. Check out the Steelers game and Collinsworth's comments about how he recognized blitz but knew he had it blocked and did not panic. A few series later he recognizes another blitz, realizes that they are outnumbered and has to throw hot and does for a 9 yard completion to Fleener.

And your last line in bold - isn't getting rid of it quick a sign of recognition?

Good point, also thank god for his quick release

Are we talking about the same Merril who proclaimed RG3 was/is better than Luck and the Colts should have taken him number 1?

http://profootballta...ffin-over-luck/

He may have been wrong, but if you are going to miss on something that would be the thing to be wrong about.

It's not that outrageous of a statement. Luck and RG3 are going to be great players

Hoge is lame, but at least I agree with his pick.

Hoge only ever says "Chuck Knoll was the greatest." Bank on it every time...While he was exceptional, I wonder if he ever heard of Lombardi, Grant, Shula, Landry, >>>>>your choices......no open mind with Hoge....:)

Actually, Denver went 9-7 in Elway's 1st year and made the playoffs as a WC. As far as I know, he's the only QB drafted #1 who went to the playoffs his rookie year.

John Elway did not start right away, Steve Deberg did. No number 1 pick has ever started the season and made the playoffs. Elway made an appearance at the end of the first game and went 1 for 8.

John Elway did not start right away, Steve Deberg did. No number 1 pick has ever started the season and made the playoffs. Elway made an appearance at the end of the first game and went 1 for 8.

Elway actually started the first several games for Denver as a rookie - Deberg came in relief because Elway got knocked around. Elway was benched during the middle of the season before coming back to start the last several games. Back then, 1st round QBs didn't see extensive playing time as rookies. Marino might have been an exception, but even he didn't start all 16 games. As far as I know, Peyton was the first to do it.

I understand your point, but it's also a different game now - more rookie QBs are more polished coming out of college then they were back then. I honestly think this is where Peyton changed the game - as a rookie, he set the standard by which all other rookie QBs are measured with regards to game preparation. QBs are getting better coaching in college and more schools are running pro-style offenses. This was unheard of 20 or 30 years ago.

Really NOT HAPPENING!!

Elway actually started the first several games for Denver as a rookie - Deberg came in relief because Elway got knocked around. Elway was benched during the middle of the season before coming back to start the last several games.

I heard that no #1 qb started every game and made the playoffs. Elway started 11 games that year.

Our improved O-line?

It's debateable, but as long as Linkenbach isn't starting, we're already better.

Castonzo '12 > Castonzo '11

Reitz '12 > Reitz '11

Satele V Saturday.....wash for now, Saturday has regressed in his age, Satele looks like a keeper

McGlynn V Diem.......both suck, not sure who would be the lesser of two evils

Justice > Link

I listen to analysts opinions such as Mayock, Schlereth, Tom Jackson and a few others over his. My favorite is Mayock he is full of knowledge and gives excellent insight dissecting a play after it happens

if your talking about player evaulations leading into the draft. Mel Kiper takes the cake hands down

Really NOT HAPPENING!!

You shouldn't be so pessimistic about your own team. Pretty much every year a team goes from worst in its division to first. I do think Houston takes the South pretty easily, but I think we're good enough to at least compete against any team, and when you can compete, it's 'Any Given Sunday'. 9-7 is not out of the realm of possibility.

The NFL is set up nowadays that teams can turn things around much quicker than in years past. Consider that at least 1 team has gone "worst to first" in each of the past 9 seasons. This year's candidates: Redskins, Vikings, Bucs, Rams, Bills, Browns, Colts, and Chiefs. Consider the 1st place schedules that the "non-dominant" division champs need to play and then consider that teams like the Pats and Packers probably won't be knocked off their perch, barring injury. You have to figure that there will be another "worst to first" team in 2012.