I agree with the Marshall Faulk as one of the Top 5 worst Colts trades:
- I understand we drafted Edgerinn James at #4 that year and he was a great pick.
- The Rams manipulated that trade by having Eric Dickerson talk to Irsay about how unhappy Faulk was
- We should have gotten the #6 pick instead of a 2nd round and 5th round pick(Mike Peterson and Brad Scoli)
- The Rams selected Torry Holt (@ #6) and between Holt and Faulk powered a couple of super bowl runs (1 win) for the Rams. THe Rams were 4-12 in 1998 and the next year they won the Super Bowl. The Colts didn't make the Super Bowl during the Edgerinn years.
- If we could have gotten the #6 pick (like Marshall should have gotten in the prime of his career) imagine a team that next year with Peyton, James, Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison. Or not make the trade at all and take Holt at #4 (or Champ Bailey) with a Marshall Faulk in the backfield. We featured Edgerinn as much as we would have featured Marshall. both were pro bowlers (Marshall was a MVP)
Again, it turned out OK for us as Edgerinn was a great pick. But that pick was already ours - we didn't trade Marshall for the 4th pick - we traded Marshall for the Mike Peterson and Brad Scoli