All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Some things that made impression on me: -Ballard doesn't think the depth at the top of the draft is worse this year than last year -After about top 12-15... it's all about flavor and what you like and prefer for your system and less about huge differences in quality. 15 to 70 is a huge cluster of similarly rated players... -Our draft board is DIFFERENT than what he's seen in the media and draft experts. Note from me -EXPECT surprising picks... a player who media has ranked as 3d-4th rounder might be taken by Ballard at 26... or 34? Similar to how Darius Leonard pick went. -Even if a severe need is not filled, we still have time, it doesn't have to filled in the draft. We have more FA, cut down day, trades, etc. -People are too quick to judge and lack patience with the young players. Give the young players/rookies time to develop. Have confidence in your process to develop players. -we will have between 160 and 180 players on the board when it's all said and done. We filter out players that don't fit be it from schematic stand point, athletic stand point, character stand point, etc... filter them out. It takes discipline on draft day. -we have some guys that have character risk, but we are comfortable with them. "Anybody that's up there[on the board], we are willing to take" -Scouting world is flat now. Not many true sleepers and hidden gems... they are going high nowadays in the draft. -Last year we had good sense of how the 1st round would go... now it's more unpredictable. It's about flavor of what you prefer. -We have a cluster of 6-to-8 players that we will consider at 26. Hopefully some of them are there, but if none of them are there we still have a plan to proceed(My note: maybe trade down?) -can't talk to enough people and you can't do enough digging on players... even the seemingly clean ones. -
  3. Probably not, but maybe. Ballard was in the rotation for at least a couple years, getting interviews, declining interviews, etc. He was a finalist for the Bears job in 2015. I found the article linked below to be very enlightening, especially looking at how Ballard has operated since joining the Colts. https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-greg-gabriel-chris-ballard-ryan-pace-20150108-story.html
  4. Just assume you did, it's easier that way... I didn't even post in this thread until a few days ago, so I'm safe. I made my own thread after the draft to combine all my stupidity in one place.
  5. 2 thoughts: 1. I don't really see any WRs worth a 1st round pick in this draft, although I'm sure someone will pull the trigger. I'd be ok with one at 59. 2. (And bear with me), In the 3 "win or go home" games at the end of last year (at Tenn, at Houston, at KC), Andrew Luck threw 14 passes to Dontrelle Inman. Inman caught 13, for 187 yards and 2 TD. I know Inman's career has been a mixed bag, but he stepped off the plane last year and immediately became the 2nd-best WR on the team, and it wasn't close. In a relatively short time, he developed great chemistry with Luck, and I'd love to see them get a chance to continue together. I know we're looking for youth & upside, but dang it, this team could win a SB THIS YEAR. I know he's not currently on the roster, but I truly believe if they don't re-sign him, they'll regret it. (JMO).
  6. Round 1 - #26 A: Jerry Tillery B: Jeffrey Simmons C: Jonathan Abram Round 2a - #34 A: Chase Winovich B: Sean Bunting C: Juan Thornhill Round 2b - #59 A: Julian Love B: Deebo Samuel C: David Long (CB, Michigan) Round 3 - #89 A: Kahale Warring B:Terry McLaurin C: Khalen Saunders Round 4a - #129 A: Will Harris B: Drew Sample Round 4b - #135 A: Trey Pipkens B: Foster Moreau Round 5 - #164 A: Stanley Morgan B: Trystan Hill Round 6 - #199 A: Ulysees Gilbert B: Saquan Hampton Round 7 - #240 A: Sua Opeta B: Drew Lewis
  7. Here's the audio of the press-conference: https://www.colts.com/audio/4-22-chris-ballard-pre-draft-press-conference-audio
  8. Would be leaning back on a Sunday morning sipping a cold beverage, listening to Cherry Bomb by John Mellencamp grinning if this happened. Say yeah yeah yeah...
  9. It sounds to me like they have analytics guys doing some baseline work, but my impression is the rest of the process isn't really all that sophisticated.
  10. The character is just one piece of the puzzle. Drafting a player with question marks is one thing, bringing him in and making him your second highest paid player (ever) is another.
  11. I can sort of see the sense in this move. At the very least gathering information. I've been saying all along I didn't feel that strong about the pass rushers in this draft class who would be available at our pick. Not too many outright game wreckers.
  12. Love Ballard's tease at the end. "I'll see you all Thursday... or maybe not, maybe Friday".
  13. Today
  14. I think Ben Banogu at 59 would be a better choice than trading a first rounder for Clark (and I think 59 is a reach for him). Really hope we don't trade for him.
  15. I agree overall but worth pointing out that it was Ed Dodds that did most of the leg work on Clark when Seattle decided to draft him: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article26343166.html It's probably dangerous to extend the same leniency to Ballard, but at least we know that one of our main execs is one of the people that gave the OK to Seattle when they were drafting Clark.
  16. Lmao nothing about the draft is as simple as you make it seem. You’re going to hit and miss regardless of where you take a S or DL
  17. Press-conference is about to start. Here's the link if you want to watch: https://www.colts.com/video/live-chris-ballard-discusses-upcoming-draft
  18. Yeah, cue Nyheim Hines from pre-season and Ebron's drops, did they produce well for us to be effective? I am confident with this coaching staff to make the most out of the talent that they agree to coach.
  19. Brissett and pick No.34 for Clark. j/k (just thought I'd say it before someone brought Brissett up)
  20. This doesn't add up, IMO. Clark has a troubled past, with multiple questionable events and comments through the years. It would cost at least a top 50 pick, maybe more, to trade for him. And he wants a long term contract for at least $20m/year; reports are he wants at least what Demarcus Lawrence got. Doesn't seem like a Ballard kind of situation. I believe the Colts reached out to the Seahawks to find out what they want, and maybe they even asked for permission to talk to Clark's agent to find out his contract demands, but I'd be very surprised if the Colts traded for Clark, knowing his history and his contract demands.
  1. Load more activity