Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. that’s simplifying something that is far from being simple… if no one is putting pressure up front, professional receivers are going to get open regardless of the coverage… and the top qb’s are going to pick it apart.
  3. we risk losing Paye and company in the next year or two… Right?
  4. Thats easy. Having great coverage. If noone is open the rush will get there. Or, I wish we blitzed more like Spaignola does as QB's are considerably less accurate under duress. The best offenses have QB's that get rid of the ball quickly which negates to a degree the pass rush. Scholars here are buzzing madly about pressures. Joey Bosa had a crazy number of pressures but how many resulted in incompletions? He had 2 more sacks than Kwity and played roughly 175 more snaps. Detroit's Hutchinson, in their playoff loss, had no pressures, no sacks, and 1 tackle as I recall. And a heckuva player. Truth is you better have really good ability at both, including highly intelligent fast players in the back seven.
  5. Any news on the attempted talks with Blackmon? Worst case scenario: we don't sign Blackmon, or any other safety FA, miss out on what few guys there are in this very non-deep safety draft, and wind up going into the season with Cross and Thomas as our best two guys. Ewwww.
  6. My follow up is about what you think is the most cost-efficient way to acquire the needed players to make the defense work as designed. As to your point about risk, I guess... If you think specific DE prospects just aren't that good, that's one thing. I'm definitely against propping up a prospect just because he plays a position of perceived need. But I would think that if the Colts take a DE at #15, they see him as a potential game changing pass rusher, and the expectation is for him to exceed what the guys on the roster have shown so far. No one can know for sure, but that's the nature of the draft. At corner, I just think that a fundamental reason why the Colts prefer their zone heavy scheme is because it's easier to find corners who can excel at zone coverage. So there's less of a premium on the position in this scheme, and that's by design. I also don't think the top 4-5 corners in this class fit Ballard's preferred profile. (Side point: This is not conventional thinking, but I think the order of importance in this defense is 3T, Edge, Will, FS, then CB. I think the objective is to take away big plays, funnel routes to the middle, and have rangy playmakers at Will and FS who can create turnovers. I'm not saying that's how I would build a defense, but I think that's the intention. Which also influences my thinking on Ballard's preferences in the draft.) The scheme element doesn't necessarily apply at WR, but I think the value at WR favors taking one on Day 2, and I think Ballard's appetite for second round WRs is well established. I'd be open to drafting a WR at #15, but I don't think the Colts will do it. So if I was an oddsmaker, I'd favor the Colts going DE or DT at #15, just based on how I think the top of the draft will fall, and the players available. I think most fans prefer corner or WR, mostly because of perceived need, but I don't see that happening. Nothing would shock me, though.
  7. Ballard on Free Agency: “No doubt we looked into free agency in totality,” Ballard said. “I mean, we looked at everybody. It kind of worked out where it ended up being a lot of our own guys, which are all good players.”
  8. I know you're joking, but I hope they do sign an older vet for a year. They young guys have so little experience, they need guidance. I was hoping it would have been GIlly or Nelson but there's no noise there. I think Gilmore may be headed back to Carolina. I'd rather sign a veteran than spend the first pick on a CB. It's a crap shoot and we haven't had the best luck. JuJu has yet to prove himself. I'm not buying the hype on Mitchell until he starts facing NFL talent. The MAC isn't exactly a hotbed for WRs.
  9. Today
  10. No takers for AFC North teams, to go against Bengals' @RollerColt ? NFC North division was the only division which got all of its teams taken in initial few days and by the end of the first list, and looks like AFC North will be the last.
  11. 6 Teams still available right now: NFC: 49ers Cowboys AFC: Dolphins Colts (Lucky Draw) Browns Ravens Steelers
  12. It was one of the first things he tried to make a point of when he took the job. I believe it was also reiterated yet again during the Brissett/Rivers/Wentz period. https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-jacked-to-build-team-of-problem-solvers-with-colts-18519350 Now, a pair of presidencies later, it seems to be an awful lot about one guy, and we still need “problem solvers” at multiple positions.
  13. Plus... if the rookie is top tier talent (of the type you would regret not giving more snaps in year 1), he would very likely find himself a way into those snaps anyways. And this is especially true when our rotation at DE, for example, is nothing to write home about.
  14. No they don’t. They will have their board in place when the draft starts. They have no way of knowing what will take place in front of them before they pick. They can guess on different scenarios but it’s just a guess. The can not possibly know all of the scenarios. Guessing doesn’t equal reality. I’m sure they are doing a lot of what ifs. That’s what I would expect. But that’s a far cry from definitely knowing what they will do with the pick.
  15. If that holder article is true, then I have to cut Ballard some slack. Still upset we stayed in the sneed discussions for so long, but I’ll cut him some slack. and honestly not surprised. Houston is a better destination. They have a great young qb. They’re on the up and up. I feel if AR goes out and proves he’s just as good if not better, we’ll see some free agents wanting to play here. I don’t think the colts being in indiana is the main issue. It’s the same reason why a player like McKinney chose to play in Green Bay. He said himself he chose Green Bay over any of his offers because of Jordan love. Houston has stroud who just played like a top 10 qb. We have AR who even us fans hope he can play a full year. So as a player, if I want to compete, id go to a team with a proven qb.
  16. You are correct. Three years at Okla St Woods was their blocking TE. Transferred to Virginia where he became their receiving TE. Bowers certainly couldn’t hurt. A good TE is always a QB’s best friend. The question becomes will Brockers last until 15?
  17. Its probably the line. I see the corners we could get as day one starters though and the DEs we could get are at risk of never being better than Paye and company. We should be looking at WRs too. Im not sure how far down the list they will want to go if 3-4 have been picked already.
  18. The bolded is an important qualifying factor. And of course, QB is a completely different discussion... If you've genuinely evaluated the prospects, and you have two guys available that are pretty much equal on your board, and you default to the player who you expect can contribute the soonest, that's reasonable. I still think there's a potential adjustment for positional value, but that can vary depending on the prospects in question. To me, getting the fullest value from the rookie contract is well down the list of considerations. There are too many factors that cannot be predicted -- performance, injury, etc.
  19. Im with you on the DE. I would have trouble not taking Latu if he is there at 15
  20. For most of his college career, IIRC, Woods was a blocking TE. He became more of a pass catcher after he transferred to play his senior year, also IIRC. I would wager that Woods could block as well as Mo, who isn't as great a blocker as billed, IMO. Woods taking over for Mo, and adding Bowers as a truly elite Move TE, would give the Colts one of the best TE rooms in the NFL. A very dangerous two TE set, and two good options for AR, whereas now its a mediocre bunch missing that star threat player. Would save some cap too with a Mo release.
  21. Why would risk prevent you from drafting a good prospect? The draft is a risk in general. Stitches posted something yesterday, showing that DEs drafted outside of the first round are less likely to be starters than WRs drafted outside the first round. So it seems to me that if you're concerned about the risk of not getting a starter level DE, you'd want to use a first rounder on that position. Let me ask this, because I think there's a healthy disagreement among a lot of people on this topic. For our defense to work as designed, what's more important, pass rush, or coverage? They obviously rely heavily on each other, but in your opinion, which one is more valuable?
  22. Yes! Reds opening day parade and festivities were fantastic as always. Looking forward to the game this evening!
  23. For what it’s worth, you can take me off the drawing for the Colts. I’m good with my Bengals and the Chargers.
  24. The risk is that they are never much better than Kwitty Paye or the rest of the roster. We all want a good pass rusher but we could get a day one starter thats less risky somewhere else. I know positional value is a thing and to me CB and WR should be high on the list. I can see putting DE over them but taking a risk on potential vs drafting a starter should be considered too.
  25. Yep. Ideally you draft a player that high for the next 10+ year and not for their rookie year. BUT lately I've been thinking about something else - part of the appeal of the rookie contract is the limited money you are giving the player compared to the production they are giving you. It's not super high on my list of things to consider but losing on the value of one year of those 4-5 rookie deal years is not negligible. In most cases it probably won't influence my decision, but if 2 players have similar value in my estimation, I would probably choose the one for whom I project faster/easier path to contributing for my team.
  1. Load more activity