Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 Minute Irsay Interview From Thursday? (Merge)

LightninMax

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this confirms what the logical among us already knew: if Manning can play, the deal gets reworked, and he stays. No matter what.

If he can't, he retires. Whatever the case, I'm becoming more and more confident that Manning will not be playing for another team...ever.

And that is what my psychic friend has been telling me. Either manning plays for the Colts.........or he retires

Just throwin that out there :)

And that is what my psychic friend has been telling me. Either manning plays for the Colts.........or he retires Just throwin that out there :)

Well to be honest I think your psychic friend knows just as much as any of the media who have covered this lol.

I look for one of three things happening here:

1) They somehow re-work the current contract. I cannot see how it is done based on the new CBA, but for some reason Irsay thinks that it is possible.

2) Irsay and Manning negotiate a new contract that is incentive based and then they do a cut before Mar 8th and resign on Mar 13th. I do not think Irsay has as much concern about the cap # in 2012 as he does its hit in 2013+.

3) Manning retires.

I do not see him going to another team. But hey, who knows! Maybe your psychic friend? :D

Well to be honest I think your psychic friend knows just as much as any of the media who have covered this lol.

I look for one of three things happening here:

1) They somehow re-work the current contract. I cannot see how it is done based on the new CBA, but for some reason Irsay thinks that it is possible.

2) Irsay and Manning negotiate a new contract that is incentive based and then they do a cut before Mar 8th and resign on Mar 13th. I do not think Irsay has as much concern about the cap # in 2012 as he does its hit in 2013+.

3) Manning retires.

I do not see him going to another team. But hey, who knows! Maybe your psychic friend? :D

Well, he was right about this season. In August when we were all looking forward to an awesome season, he told me that manning's neck was a big issue and he didn't think he would be able to play

So, I'm a believer now.

I think Adam Shefter might be using the wrong football psychic! :)

As far as mannings contract......I believe they have to release him before any new contract can occur.

That should go over easily with fans (NOT)

Buckle up!

I think this confirms what the logical among us already knew: if Manning can play, the deal gets reworked, and he stays. No matter what.

If he can't, he retires. Whatever the case, I'm becoming more and more confident that Manning will not be playing for another team...ever.

Are you counting yourself as one of the 'logical among us' crowd? If you are, bad news......this is more of the 'telling us nothing' spin we've been hearing for weeks.

When people hear from someone involved in the situation(who, of course, might not be 100% honest, who knows?) - OMG HES TOTALLY LYING >>> IRSAY

Anonymous source(who, of course, might not be 100% real, who knows?) - I believe this strange, unknown entity absolutely! He has a good track record, look at this last seaso- oh wait.

Seriously? I've stopped reading anything with source in the headline or first paragraph of an article. These 'news' pieces aren't event news, they're more opinion pieces at this point. Make up your own mind and see what happens, stop throwing conspiracy theories everywhere.

Also my opinion on what Manning does for next year? He's going to retire, play for the Colts, or play for another team. ESPN - hire me.

A voice of reason. I just can't believe how many people are ready to abandoned ship on PM. Andrew Luck is an untested rookie that hasn't proved anything other than the ability to grow facial hair. Will he be good eventually? No one freakin knows that yet. It sounds like some people want to take all of our eggs from one basket and place them in another. I would rather we trade Andrew Luck, draft Khalil or Blackmon or a great linebacker, or pick OL 2nd and 3rd.

Given all of the press from Peyton's camp, they must believe 100% that he can play or they wouldn't be hyping it as much. So, that means he will play next year, with the Colts or w/o the Colts. It would be very misleading to say he is ready to play, then he and the Colts can't come to an agreement and then all of a sudden you hear that he is physically unable to play.

A voice of reason. I just can't believe how many people are ready to abandoned ship on PM. Andrew Luck is an untested rookie that hasn't proved anything other than the ability to grow facial hair. Will he be good eventually? No one freakin knows that yet. It sounds like some people want to take all of our eggs from one basket and place them in another. I would rather we trade Andrew Luck, draft Khalil or Blackmon or a great linebacker, or pick OL 2nd and 3rd.

...and in your world if we do that...best case scenario Peyton plays a maximum of 4 years and we win the Super Bowl at least once. Then you will need a QB after 4 years and you will have to draft one to start over. Now, realistically, QB's in the NFL never win a Super Bowl when they are over 38 years old. Forget the injury, because apparently you have...that means he has roughly 2 years to win a Super Bowl with this team. You are fofeiting a 15 year run with Luck, a new staff and new schemes for a 2 year run with an old Peyton. So, I would say you are NOT the one with common sense, but you are the one who is WISHING for a miracle to happen.

Given all of the press from Peyton's camp, they must believe 100% that he can play or they wouldn't be hyping it as much. So, that means he will play next year, with the Colts or w/o the Colts. It would be very misleading to say he is ready to play, then he and the Colts can't come to an agreement and then all of a sudden you hear that he is physically unable to play.

It absolutely amazes me how many different times and ways this situation can be spun. With the positive coaching changes and the potential of an awesome draft, from the stand point of picking from top to bottom as opposed from bottom to top, and playing a much easier schedule then in years past, one would think we could discuss (for one day) some of the positives instead of the constant gloom and doom of a situation none of us know anything about. GO COLTS!

...and in your world if we do that...best case scenario Peyton plays a maximum of 4 years and we win the Super Bowl at least once. Then you will need a QB after 4 years and you will have to draft one to start over. Now, realistically, QB's in the NFL never win a Super Bowl when they are over 38 years old. Forget the injury, because apparently you have...that means he has roughly 2 years to win a Super Bowl with this team. You are fofeiting a 15 year run with Luck, a new staff and new schemes for a 2 year run with an old Peyton. So, I would say you are NOT the one with common sense, but you are the one who is WISHING for a miracle to happen.

Yep, because in 4 years we wouldn't have done anything to build for the future?? So when Manning does retire, everything just implodes in the Colts organization. Or there is absolutely no chance that another solid QB prospect will come out? Your logic makes Andrew Luck seem like the ONLY QB who will ever be good coming out of college for the next 4 years. I hate to remind you friend, but Andrew Luck is not a proven commodity. You take advantage of the opportunties at hand and not base the future of your organization and team around a speculative rookie. Peyton gives you 4 years that Andrew Luck mostly likely won't....so there..i can speculate too.

What sort of 15 year run are we assured with Luck? We could very well be running him out of town in three. Manning wasn't slowing down at all at 34, despite playing with tremendous pain. The 38 "barrier" isn't a rule, it's just a stat. And none of the QB's who've played that long were anywhere near as good as Peyton. Winning Super Bowls now is always better for everyone than hoping to win some later.

The best case scenario, the most salivating option, is the one where we keep both.

Yep, because in 4 years we wouldn't have done anything to build for the future?? So when Manning does retire, everything just implodes in the Colts organization. Or there is absolutely no chance that another solid QB prospect will come out? Your logic makes Andrew Luck seem like the ONLY QB who will ever be good coming out of college for the next 4 years. I hate to remind you friend, but Andrew Luck is not a proven commodity. You take advantage of the opportunties at hand and not base the future of your organization your team around a speculative rookie. Peyton gives you 4 years that Andrew Luck mostly likely won't....so there..i can speculate too.

For the flipping win!!!

I think claiming that those who shared your point of view as the "logical among us" is high comedy. That is a side of this debate that was basically a group of emotional cheerleaders - nothing close to logical. If you turn out to be right - congrats. But it won't be due to level headedness of the points you were making.

Farve was just one bad play away from going to a superbowl at age 39 or 40 can't remember... If it wasn't for that injury late in that game on a questionable hit, Favre would have probably would have just ran it up a few yards, been a field goal away from going to a superbowl, so that stat may be correct, but was only a bad play away from going to a superbowl.... Just saying there is wiggle room in the age 38 thing.

Farve was just one bad play away from going to a superbowl at age 39 or 40 can't remember... If it wasn't for that injury late in that game on a questionable hit, Favre would have probably would have just ran it up a few yards, been a field goal away from going to a superbowl, so that stat may be correct, but was only a bad play away from going to a superbowl.... Just saying there is wiggle room in the age 38 thing.

And perhaps if he wasn't 39 or 40, he wouldn't have got hit or injured....... a 'shoulda woulda' scenario right there....

Voice of delusion more like. Luck is as good a 'risk' as a crippled Manning is. People are not abandoning ship on PM, they are just being realistic due to the nature of his injury and his contract situation.

ummmm just this past week they have been talking about tiger woods? Irsay didnt even know what to really say and you can tell he was trying to choose his words carefuly and try not to make someone mad. there was alot of ummms in there after the PM question was asked lol. Manning needs to retire, if he was 100% now, id say rework his contract but hes not, and id rather him go out with the season he had in 2010 then go out with a bad season which is what could very well happen. he had a great run, he has already assured himself the HOF. what else is there to do?

Voice of delusion more like. Luck is as good a 'risk' as a crippled Manning is. People are not abandoning ship on PM, they are just being realistic due to the nature of his injury and his contract situation.

Yeah , one of the few who gets IT!!!! Accurate post, but you do know the ramifications of using logic on here.

Yep, because in 4 years we wouldn't have done anything to build for the future?? So when Manning does retire, everything just implodes in the Colts organization. Or there is absolutely no chance that another solid QB prospect will come out? Your logic makes Andrew Luck seem like the ONLY QB who will ever be good coming out of college for the next 4 years. I hate to remind you friend, but Andrew Luck is not a proven commodity. You take advantage of the opportunties at hand and not base the future of your organization and team around a speculative rookie. Peyton gives you 4 years that Andrew Luck mostly likely won't....so there..i can speculate too.

that has got to be one of the most complete argument of the whole peyton vs luck thing I've seen, specially the bolded part.

Well Done sir.

and no, im not opposed to Luck. if possible i want both, but cap is the issue.

We're looking at Favre and assuming that since he beat the odds, then all QBs can beat the odds. What made Favre's story so amazingwas that he was able to have his best statistical year at his progressed age. Favre was an outlier and an exception, yet everyone uses him as the prime example for old QBs. The exception is not the rule, and the stats still reflect the same as before.

So you rather have a OL or a WR who scouts suspect doesn't have the speed to be a deep threat or a linebacker instead of one of the 3 highest rated & projected qb's in 4 decades?

And please don't underestimate the power of the beard.

that has got to be one of the most complete argument of the whole peyton vs luck thing I've seen, specially the bolded part.

Well Done sir.

and no, im not opposed to Luck. if possible i want both, but cap is the issue.

Actually the whole post is ridiculous and totally missing the point of why there is so much 'drama'......

ummmm just this past week they have been talking about tiger woods? Irsay didnt even know what to really say and you can tell he was trying to choose his words carefuly and try not to make someone mad. there was alot of ummms in there after the PM question was asked lol. Manning needs to retire, if he was 100% now, id say rework his contract but hes not, and id rather him go out with the season he had in 2010 then go out with a bad season which is what could very well happen. he had a great run, he has already assured himself the HOF. what else is there to do?

I did get the sense that he was choosing his words extremely carefully. Who can blame him? People pick and choose particular words.........out of context...........and rant about it well past it being a dead issue

It is THE topic of the off season and I'm sure he's got enough real issues to work through without the additional drama that keeps coming back over and over again

March 8 cannot come soon enough for me!

Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 9:34 PM CST Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:34 PM EST Updated: Feb 17, 2012 5:16 AM CST Friday, February 17, 2012 6:16 AM EST

By Dave Calabro - bio | email

16956359_BG2.jpg

Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team

INDIANAPOLIS -

There's new information tonight surrounding the future of Colts quarterback Peyton Manning

On Thursday evening, Eyewitness News Sports Director Dave Calabro spoke one-on-one with Colts owner Jim Irsay. Irsay confirmed that he and Peyton are in talks right now, trying to keep him on the team.

Irsay said not to expect the ugly divorce forecast in some reports. "I've never looked at it as a divorce no matter what happens, along those lines," Irsay said. "It's really not. It's just wrong to paint it that we're not close because we always will be an we always have been."

Irsay said he has been talking in person and texting with Peyton. He says the conversation has been "upbeat and positive."

Irsay would love to see Manning finish his career in a Colts uniform, but said that there are issues to work through in the next three weeks.

"Our desire to keep him as a Colt and his desire to be a Colt is strong, and at the same time, the realities that exist, the circumstances that exist that neither one of us control exist as well," Irsay said, characterizing the difficulty of the current situation with Manning's recovery from neck surgery.

Irsay says his goal is to reach a "unified decision" which is good for Peyton and the future of the Colts.

The Colts have until March 8th to release Manning or pay him a $28 million bonus.

I did get the sense that he was choosing his words extremely carefully. Who can blame him? People pick and choose particular words.........out of context...........and rant about it well past it being a dead issue

It is THE topic of the off season and I'm sure he's got enough real issues to work through without the additional drama that keeps coming back over and over again

March 8 cannot come soon enough for me!

I doubt it will end on or before March 8.

I think he will be cut and then the speculation will be about his health and then if he will sign with the colts orwhich other team.

Mark Schefter is going to be a busy man.

Man... I definitely have a different definition of crippled as you.... He's looked far from "crippled" as you put it...

The fact that Irsay and Manning talk regularly is even better news than Tuesday's talk that he'd welcome Manning back..

There's no reason to talk if you've made up your mind and you are 'moving on' and the two are as friendly as they ever were and understand each other.

The idea that Manning has already (ahead of their contract meeting) said to Irsay he wants to stay in Indy...

wipes out the story line that he's somehow offended and eager to go to Washington or Miami.

If Peyton didnt know whether he wanted to stay. he would probably not have called Irsay to tell him he wanted to stay in front of the meeting where they negotiate him staying..

..and finally..the fact that we're hearing NOTHING from Manning indicates he wants to keep the talks in-house

...and that's the way to get deals done.

Get ready for Pey-Luck

Manning's rookie year the team was 3-13, then 13-3 the next year. 10-6 the next, and 6-10 the next. It wasn't until after 4 years that Manning and company went on their consistent 10-14 win seasons and playoff runs. Why is everybody that is very pro Manning not understanding that he didn't come right in and we were all of a sudden great? There were growing pains, and it took a little while to get everybody on the same page and it wasn't until Dungy come in that we became a yearly contender. Yes Manning had a lot, a great deal, to do with that success but it takes the pieces coming together for it to happen. Now you are unwilling to afford Luck the same luxury of having those years to develop and become a leader of this team, because he's no PM. It's not fair to him and it's not fair to the team. I'm not saying that I want Luck over Manning but if that is what happens then guess what....I'm a Colts fan so I will stand behind the decision and wish Luck all the best and hope that he can be the best Andrew Luck that he can be and not an imitation of PM. Guess what he's not going to be the next Peyton Manning, he's Andrew Luck....the sooner you logical Manning fans can wrap your logic around that the better off you'll be. Unless you aren't a Colts fan and just here for PM, in that case it won't matter because you'll be gone too.