Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schwamm Sez: Basics (1)

For reference, previous Shwamm Sez posts can be found here:

Intro:  http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/19041-schwamm-sez-intro/

Now let's start digging into some of the most basic concepts first...

KNOW AND UNDERSTAND YOUR LEAGUE’S SCORING.

There are ample ways to tweak a league’s scoring setup, and if you hope to be successful, it is imperative that you understand all the ways that your league’s setup will affect the way you rank your players.

Some may be very obvious, like a point per reception (PPR) league (where possession receivers would get a value bump versus the deep threats, and backs who are often targeted as receivers out of the backfield would be valued over guys who are only ground threats).

Other tweaks might not be so obvious in their effects.   In a debate on another thread, John Dee pointed out that he is in a league that has reduced their QB points per TD down to 3 (from default of 6), and score a point for 20 yards (from default 1 per 25) . 

I’m going to save the reasons I don’t agree that this change affects a QB’s value against other positions for another day, but I would assert that it has a subtle impact on how you should order your QBs.  Essentially, TDs are getting downgraded relative to yardage thrown… so QBs who move the ball well but struggle to score might get bumped up relative to more efficient redzone QBs.

Let’s look at 2012 Carson Palmer against 2012 Philip Rivers in both scoring formats to see the impact it would have.  I am intentionally selecting 2 QBs who are likely not high on anyone’s draft board, to avoid you confusing this analysis for advice on who you should draft.  Likewise, you should understand that this is an analysis of last year’s completed stats, not a projection of how these QBs will fare next year:

Palmer:     4018 yds (x1/25) + 22 TDs (x6) = 292.72 or 18.30 ppg

4018 yds (x1/20) + 22 TDs (x3) = 266.90 or 16.68 ppg

Rivers:      3606 yds (x1/25) + 26 TDs (x6) = 300.24 or 18.77 ppg

3606 yds (x1/20) + 26 TDs (x3) = 258.3 or 16.14 ppg

In other words, Rivers would have been more valuable than Palmer in a standard scoring league, but it would be the opposite in John Dee’s league.  Either way, though, while the effect is only a swing of about 1 point per game, that kind of subtle improvement at every position could add up to a winning season.

You probably don’t need to run yourself through exhaustive statistical analysis, but EVERY position can be affected by scoring configuration, so your homework should always start with you becoming an expert in your league’s setup.

"Meh. I've had this debate a thousand times over the years. I really don't care what the scoring setup is. Now, if its a league that only starts 1 RB and 1 WR... maybe that could make a difference, but I've never run into that configuration.

I'm not going to bore everyone with the explanation. There have only been 3 times in the last decade where an early QB pick would've been justified (Manning & Brady's record years, Vick's big return), but no way could someone have predicted the anomalous jumps.

And sorry. I'm retired."       From Schwammm

Dude I just can't sit back and take any of this any longer..      Retired?  Yet you are creating tutorials for all the rookies?  And It is copy and paste material.      Nothing original.  

Seriously   .... kids ..  life?      What ?   Jump in and show us what you got..   

JD       ;)

For reference, previous Shwamm Sez posts can be found here:

Intro:  http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/19041-schwamm-sez-intro/

Now let's start digging into some of the most basic concepts first...

KNOW AND UNDERSTAND YOUR LEAGUE’S SCORING.

There are ample ways to tweak a league’s scoring setup, and if you hope to be successful, it is imperative that you understand all the ways that your league’s setup will affect the way you rank your players.

Some may be very obvious, like a point per reception (PPR) league (where possession receivers would get a value bump versus the deep threats, and backs who are often targeted as receivers out of the backfield would be valued over guys who are only ground threats).

Other tweaks might not be so obvious in their effects.   In a debate on another thread, John Dee pointed out that he is in a league that has reduced their QB points per TD down to 3 (from default of 6), and score a point for 20 yards (from default 1 per 25) . 

I’m going to save the reasons I don’t agree that this change affects a QB’s value against other positions for another day, but I would assert that it has a subtle impact on how you should order your QBs.  Essentially, TDs are getting downgraded relative to yardage thrown… so QBs who move the ball well but struggle to score might get bumped up relative to more efficient redzone QBs.

Let’s look at 2012 Carson Palmer against 2012 Philip Rivers in both scoring formats to see the impact it would have.  I am intentionally selecting 2 QBs who are likely not high on anyone’s draft board, to avoid you confusing this analysis for advice on who you should draft.  Likewise, you should understand that this is an analysis of last year’s completed stats, not a projection of how these QBs will fare next year:

Palmer:     4018 yds (x1/25) + 22 TDs (x6) = 292.72 or 18.30 ppg

4018 yds (x1/20) + 22 TDs (x3) = 266.90 or 16.68 ppg

Rivers:      3606 yds (x1/25) + 26 TDs (x6) = 300.24 or 18.77 ppg

3606 yds (x1/20) + 26 TDs (x3) = 258.3 or 16.14 ppg

In other words, Rivers would have been more valuable than Palmer in a standard scoring league, but it would be the opposite in John Dee’s league.  Either way, though, while the effect is only a swing of about 1 point per game, that kind of subtle improvement at every position could add up to a winning season.

You probably don’t need to run yourself through exhaustive statistical analysis, but EVERY position can be affected by scoring configuration, so your homework should always start with you becoming an expert in your league’s setup.

Right On...        I'm giving you a hard time.

At least you don't run all over the board screaming "champ" ...

hehehee..e     

Let's get it ON.

Half the fun of FF is the * talking that goes on.......................................     

You would fit right in SCH...   talk to Andy.