Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Colts Mock Draft

Just a brief early version of what I think will happen. ASSUMING THE COLTS COME 13TH OVERALL:

1. Ryan Browles WR Oklahoma

Reggie Wayne is getting old, Pierre Garcon is inconsistent, Anthony Gonzalez may not even be on the team next year, and the Colts have no depth at WR. We need a WR, and he's the best one if we're at the 13th spot.

2. Nick Foles QB, Arizona

Peyton Manning is getting old, Kerry Collns is old, and if we draft Nick this year, released, and Painter sucks. We need a quarterback. Before Manning's neck surgery, the members of this community came to a consensus that he has 5 to 6 years left. With the neck surgery, probably around 3 to 4. Aaron Rodgers waited 3 years, and it was worth it. Draft this guy no before things get bad.

3. Levy Adcock G/T Oklahoma

The offensive line just gets worse and worse. Castonzo and Ijalana seem good on the outside, but the inside is just awful. Ryan Diem, the starting guard, is probably gone at the end of the year, and Joe Reitz is a question mark. We need a good starter, and Levy is that guy.

4. Jacquies Smith DE Missouri

Jerry Hughes is in his make or break year, Anderson and Brayton are old, which means that we need depth. The Colts are probably going to hang on to Robert Mathis, but we have no depth. Jacquies Smith provides good depth and could come in on some third downs and some 2nd or 3rd and shorts and stop the run.

5. Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College

I'm not worried about Jerraud Powers, I'm worried about Lacey. Justin Tryon is the perfect backup, Kevin Thomas is the perfect backup to Powers. Jacob lacey is in his make or break year. Draft Donnie Fletcher and give him a shot at being the starter. If he beats out Tryon Lacey and Thomas, then he deserves the spot, and I think he'll win it.

6. Tony Bergstrom OT Utah

Levy Adcock is going to probably start at guard, so we're good there. Now, we need depth at tackle, and desperately. Anthony Castonzo and Ijalana are good starters and have a ton of potential in this sport, but one injury and we have no one to replace them. Jeff Linkenbach is one of the worst tackles I've ever seen, and we have no one to replace Castonzo. It's a must to draft a tackle in this draft.

7. Lane Taylor OC Oklahoma State

Jeff Saturday is getting old, and all we have is Jamey Richard to replace him, that's if Pollak plays RG after Diem leaves. We need a good center who can replace Jeff, and Lane has potential and could be that guy.

This is a very very early prediction on what I think we need and what will happen. Thoughts?

Just a brief early version of what I think will happen. ASSUMING THE COLTS COME 13TH OVERALL:

Reggie Wayne is getting old, Pierre Garcon is inconsistent, Anthony Gonzalez may not even be on the team next year, and the Colts have no depth at WR. We need a WR, and he's the best one if we're at the 13th spot.

Peyton Manning is getting old, Kerry Collns is old, and if we draft Nick this year, released, and Painter sucks. We need a quarterback. Before Manning's neck surgery, the members of this community came to a consensus that he has 5 to 6 years left. With the neck surgery, probably around 3 to 4. Aaron Rodgers waited 3 years, and it was worth it. Draft this guy no before things get bad.

The offensive line just gets worse and worse. Castonzo and Ijalana seem good on the outside, but the inside is just awful. Ryan Diem, the starting guard, is probably gone at the end of the year, and Joe Reitz is a question mark. We need a good starter, and Levy is that guy.

Jerry Hughes is in his make or break year, Anderson and Brayton are old, which means that we need depth. The Colts are probably going to hang on to Robert Mathis, but we have no depth. Jacquies Smith provides good depth and could come in on some third downs and some 2nd or 3rd and shorts and stop the run.

I'm not worried about Jerraud Powers, I'm worried about Lacey. Justin Tryon is the perfect backup, Kevin Thomas is the perfect backup to Powers. Jacob lacey is in his make or break year. Draft Donnie Fletcher and give him a shot at being the starter. If he beats out Tryon Lacey and Thomas, then he deserves the spot, and I think he'll win it.

Levy Adcock is going to probably start at guard, so we're good there. Now, we need depth at tackle, and desperately. Anthony Castonzo and Ijalana are good starters and have a ton of potential in this sport, but one injury and we have no one to replace them. Jeff Linkenbach is one of the worst tackles I've ever seen, and we have no one to replace Castonzo. It's a must to draft a tackle in this draft.

Jeff Saturday is getting old, and all we have is Jamey Richard to replace him, that's if Pollak plays RG after Diem leaves. We need a good center who can replace Jeff, and Lane has potential and could be that guy.

This is a very very early prediction on what I think we need and what will happen. Thoughts?

just say u have good reasons and i agree

well i noticed that 5 or the 7 were on offense the offense is not the problem its the defense

:facepalm:

1. NT big body at least 315 that comands a double team

2. CB cover corner with top speed

3. CB cover corner with speed

4. SS big safety who can run

5. Mlb at least 6'4" and weighs 245- 255

6. WR at least 6'3" to 6'5" with jumping and ball skills

7. NT biggest body left 325

yea but at some point u have let offense age and bring in young talent when peyton retires defense should be a top priority

We have great young talent at LB, and DL is an area of concern in the 2013 NFL Draft. Maybe we draft a NT, instead of a DE in the 4th round. WE don't use an early pick on an NT. Reggie WAyne is 33, and has 1 or 2 good years left. Start training now.

We have great young talent at LB, and DL is an area of concern in the 2013 NFL Draft. Maybe we draft a NT, instead of a DE in the 4th round. WE don't use an early pick on an NT. Reggie WAyne is 33, and has 1 or 2 good years left. Start training now.

we need a run stuffing nt to put next to nevis and moala

I don't like Broyles. Not at the 13th selection anyways.

1st round -

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson(Come March, everyone will be talking about this guy)

Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State(Has been reported he is a combination of Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis with the coverage skills of Brian Urlacher.) I don't know where to put this guy because some sources have him listed as a 1st round selection and others have him as a second.

2nd round -

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami

3rd round -

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana

Melvin Ingram, DE, North Carolina

Jacquies Smith, DE, Missouri

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas

Sean Spence, OLB, Miami

Keenan Robinson, Texas

Emmanuel Acho, Texas

4th round -

Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh

Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin

Jarvis Jones, OT, Oklahoma

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

William Vlachos, C, Alabama

5th round -

Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas

Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami

6th round -

Jeffrey Demps, RB, Florida(timed a 4.26 40)

Moe Petrus, C, Connecticut

James Brown, T, Troy

7th round -

Mike Ryan, T, Connecticut

Mike Martin, DT, Michigan

Ramon Buchanan, OLB, Miami

Jerrell Harris, OLB, Alabama

we need a run stuffing nt to put next to nevis and moala

Well with NTs, it depends were we end up. There's not one NT projected in the top 13, but there's Brandon Thompson at around 15, and Jerel Worth at around 20. Like I said, it all depends on where we end up. But if we end up in the 20's we're going Michael Floyd.

Well with NTs, it depends were we end up. There's not one NT projected in the top 13, but there's Brandon Thompson at around 15, and Jerel Worth at around 20. Like I said, it all depends on where we end up. But if we end up in the 20's we're going Michael Floyd.

ok we go wr first but nt second lot of big bodys i always wanted peyton to have that big wide out

I swear you and me are thinking the same thing. At least with the 1st round anyways. I have seen it the other way. Jerel at 15 and Thompson at 20. I seriously like Thompson more than the other defensive tackles. I think he fits our style of D to a T. However because I prefer offense over defense i would say get Jeff Fuller.

Bigger and stronger doesn't necessarily always equate to a game changing player.

"Clemson's Brandon Thompson would be an excellent addition to the interior of the defensive line. Thompson has the ability to play two gap football and stuff the run. He also is explosive enough to penetrate and create pressure. Indianapolis could also look to add a bigger linebacker, like Arizona State's Vontaze Burfict. Burfict is a big and nasty linebacker with the athletic ability needed to play in the Colt's cover two system."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/843704-fantasy-football-week-1-injury-reportnews-analysis-on-every-major-injury/entry/125622-peyton-manning-injury-who-would-the-colts-select-with-a-top-10-2012-selection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4gJ7OXlic

Jerry Hughes deserves more time before he can be fairly evaluated. Brayton is 31 (not that old) and Anderson is 25 (not old at all).

From what I've heard, Pollak's best position is center, so he could be in line to start after Saturday retires. I think is was in 2007 where Saturday was hurt for a few games and Richard came in and played very well, so he could potentially be the next starter too. But I have no idea how the coaches project those guys to be at center.

This is an honest question (read the wrong way, it may come off as rude or insinuating and I don't mean it to be), do you follow college ball closely?

Im from Wisconsin. So naturally I want the Colts to draft C Peter Konz from the badgers. More specificly, im from Kimberly which is 10 minutes away from Konz hometown Neenah. Meaning, I of had the pleasure of playing against Peter Konz. I really want to be able to say that I played against the center who gets to snap the ball to Peyton :)

Also, hes really good. haha

1. NT big body at least 315 that comands a double team

2. CB cover corner with top speed

3. CB cover corner with speed

4. SS big safety who can run

5. Mlb at least 6'4" and weighs 245- 255

6. WR at least 6'3" to 6'5" with jumping and ball skills

7. NT biggest body left 325

This sounds almost exactly like my shopping list though maybe not in that order. I think we could just pick a position on defense and take that starter from Alabama. lol Seriously though, I think Mark Barron (SS Alabama) is at the top of my wish list. If we put him next to Bethea I think we arguably have the best safety tandem in the league with Bullitt as a quality backup. If they choose to go corner instead then Dre Kirkpatrick is a beast.

From what I can tell it looks like next year could be another good year for DT's so we could probably get a good, quality DT a little later. Just a few good ones I've watched so far are Josh Chapman (Alabama), Devon Still (Penn State), and Melvin Ingram (South Carolina). There also appear to be several big, physical ILB's as well so hopefully we can grab one to be the eventual replacement for Brackett.

Same for WR and there are several big body WR's that fit the mold you described and that I also want. Just a few names I've watched so far are:

#3 Michael Floyd (6'3 224 lbs) Notre dame

#1 Alshon Jeffery WR (6'4 229 lbs) South Carolina

#24 Derek Moye WR (6'4 210 lbs) Penn State

I don't understand why there are so many recommendations for DE. DE is arguably the least area of concern right now and I believe that would still be true if we were to lose/trade Freeney or Mathis. Oh and before I go on, how do you (OP) figure that Jamaal Anderson is old? He's 25 years old. I also hope/believe that as we continue to address DT/NT that we will eventually move Eric Foster to DE which is where he is much better suited. Also, he's only 28. We also have yet to see what Hughes can do and at the very least I think he could make a serviceable backup for a year or 2 so all that said I think we can hold off on going after a DE.

As for the rest of the defense, yeah we still need upgrades pretty much everywhere. We definitely still need help at DT but I think this can wait till around round 3 or 4. We're pretty good at safety. I know I said Barron would make an awesome addition but I'm starting to reconsider and put CB at a higher priority than SS. The only reason I was putting SS at a higher priority before is because in the past the safety positions have been of a higher priority for the Colts than CB because we've been more likely to keep good safeties around whereas CB and OLB have been revolving doors for the past 5-7 years.

We need a true, dominant MLB and of various ones I've been scouting my preference easily at this point goes to Burfict. Yes he's been described at times as violent (typically in a good way though) and has had some issues in the past with personal foul penalties...but so has James Harrison and he's one of the elite LB's in the league. We need someone with attitude. It's great that Brackett is well liked and well respected but NFL defense isn't played with ribbons and ponies.

The next priority on defense imo is CB. We need a guy who can play press/man coverage as well as zone. A guy who can be physical to disrupt receivers which would give us more opportunity to blitz. Ideally he would also be at least above average to good against the run. There are several good CB's coming out this year but I reiterate my support behind Dre Kirkpatrick. Here's a video and what I really like about the videos from this channel are they are not highlight videos, they are draft analysis videos so they show both positive and negative plays. As you watch keep in mind that the plays that are marked as negative plays for Kirkpatrick are plays in which he was covering Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd...2 of the top 3 WR prospects coming out this year. That's like having to go to footage of Champ Bailey against Andre Johnson in order to find some negative plays to show for Bailey. Oh, and Kirkpatrick is 6'2".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWkKVUEE22w

Now, what I would absolutely love to see happen is to see some sort of trade that would allow us to pick up an extra first or even second round pick to get one of the top WR prospects. However even if that doesn't happen there are still very talented players that will likely be available in the middle rounds. I would love an Alshon Jeffrey or Michael Floyd for their size and ability, but I think we could still get good talent later in the draft and it would be of more value overall to pick the playmakers at defense earlier on. Besides, we have no idea if the Colts would even go after a big bodied receiver. They never have in the past but things are different now with Caldwell and Chris Polian so who knows. Also, if we still want the big body WR then we could take a good long look at Derek Moye. He's 6'4" and 210 lbs. According to CBSSports.com he's ranked #29 WR and overall #253 so he may wind up as an UDFA though I wouldn't be surprised to see his stock rise. Someone also had good things to say about Dwight Jones, 6'4" 225 lbs from North Carolina and he's looking like around a 3rd rounder right now.

I would then like to see the rest spent on 1 or 2 DT's and the rest on the OL.

So overall, I think the first 2 rounds should go for 2 of the following 3: CB, MLB, DT with less priority given to DT because I think quality DT can be found a little later.

Rounds 3-5 on DT, OL and maybe WR

Rounds 5-7 the best available for OL and DT...or maybe an additional OLB.

And someone will notice that I didn't mention anything about a QB and that's because I don't want to see a QB drafted this year. The only thing that would disappoint me more than taking a QB in round 1 would be taking a K or P. Let's improve the OL and the defense before going after our next franchise QB.

Luck is ours 1st

I hope we draft Mark Barron in the 1st, and grab Kellen Moore later.

I've seen Barron play and I wouldn't be upset with him in the first round at all. In fact I kept going back and forth between Barron and Kirkpatrick for our first round pick to improve the secondary and the fact that in the past, the team has tended to put a higher priority on safety as opposed to corner. However in the end, a ball-hawking corner I think would help us tremendously as it would give us much more flexibility to blitz and use different coverages as well as a guy like Kirkpatrick at 6'2" would really help against bigger receivers, namely Andre Johnson.

Also, I believe as of now Barron is projected as a first rounder while Kirkpatrick is projected as a second rounder. Heck if we picked up both of them then that improves our secondary dramatically. In the end though I think I'd rather see us get a monster MLB and there aren't many of them available and they'll likely all be gone by the first and possibly mid second rounds whereas we could get a serviceable safety for depth and stick with Bullitt at SS for now.

:)

Ok this is my draft and I have us drafting 4th overall with Seattle getting the 1st overall pick and taking Luck.

1st- LT Matt Kalil (I think we will go BPA here and Kalil is the best OT prospect in a few years so we could then move Costanzo to RT and Ijalana to G making this OL stud.) Another alternative pick is WR Alshon Jeffery or QB Matt Barkley.

2nd- SS Mark Barron (Gives us our other starting safety to go alongside Bethea)We could then play Bullitt in some sort of nickel role like the Packers do with Charles Woodson.

3rd- QB Kirk Cousins (Finally gives us a QB to learn behind Peyton and groom like the Pack did with Rodgers.)

4th- WR Dwight Jones

Ok this is my draft and I have us drafting 4th overall with Seattle getting the 1st overall pick and taking Luck.

1st- LT Matt Kalil (I think we will go BPA here and Kalil is the best OT prospect in a few years so we could then move Costanzo to RT and Ijalana to G making this OL stud.) Another alternative pick is WR Alshon Jeffery or QB Matt Barkley.

2nd- SS Mark Barron (Gives us our other starting safety to go alongside Bethea)We could then play Bullitt in some sort of nickel role like the Packers do with Charles Woodson.

3rd- QB Kirk Cousins (Finally gives us a QB to learn behind Peyton and groom like the Pack did with Rodgers.)

4th- WR Dwight Jones

i was thinking the same thing if we like number 2 or 3 we take matt kalil

I've seen Barron play and I wouldn't be upset with him in the first round at all. In fact I kept going back and forth between Barron and Kirkpatrick for our first round pick to improve the secondary and the fact that in the past, the team has tended to put a higher priority on safety as opposed to corner. However in the end, a ball-hawking corner I think would help us tremendously as it would give us much more flexibility to blitz and use different coverages as well as a guy like Kirkpatrick at 6'2" would really help against bigger receivers, namely Andre Johnson.

Also, I believe as of now Barron is projected as a first rounder while Kirkpatrick is projected as a second rounder. Heck if we picked up both of them then that improves our secondary dramatically. In the end though I think I'd rather see us get a monster MLB and there aren't many of them available and they'll likely all be gone by the first and possibly mid second rounds whereas we could get a serviceable safety for depth and stick with Bullitt at SS for now.

:)

I love Mark Barron on our D. He has the skills to be awesome and him with Bullitt on a rotation with Bethea would be one heck of a secondary, even without a ball hawking corner.

4th- WR Dwight Jones

My only concern with your picks is that the majority of reports and mock drafts at this point seem to have Barron going in the first round so not sure he'd slip to the second.

I love Mark Barron on our D. He has the skills to be awesome and him with Bullitt on a rotation with Bethea would be one heck of a secondary, even without a ball hawking corner.

Very much agreed. I'm still on the fence though about which I'd prefer in regards to the playmaking SS or a ballhawking CB. The more I think about it the more I think I'm comfortable with Bullitt continuing to be the starter...I think an upgrade we would see if we took a CB would be greater than upgrading the SS position. Having that additional CB (Dre Kirkpatrick is my choice...at 6'2" he'd really be beneficial since we see Andre Johnson twice a year) would also give us more flexibility to blitz. I can't say this for certain, but I think part of the reason we don't blitz very often is that the blitz will be most effective by putting our CB's in press man coverage and I don't think we have a CB besides Powers that we'd trust to do that...and I'm not even sure we'd want to put Powers at this point in press coverage against the other team's #1 but if we could bring in a Kirkpatrick then Powers most likely moves to covering the #2 WR and overall I think the risks go down pretty significantly.

I like Kirkpatrick too, but I have wanted Barron for 2 years now

You never know, a few mocks have Dre slipping to the second round. If we pick high enough maybe we could nab them both. Better still we wind up with say the 5th pick and cleveland winds up with their 2 picks in the first round being somewhere in the middle. We trade down to them for both of their picks because they want to get IDK say Michael Floyd, a top WR. With our 2 first round picks wind up being Barron and Alameda Ta'amu DT from Washington and then we still get Kirkpatrick in the 2nd. Talk about an upgrade to the defense. :D Ah in a perfect world. lol

That would mean we would have to have a worse season than I actually think we will though.

I love the idea of a trade so we can have 2 1st round draft picks so we can pick up Dre K. and Mark Barron. Anyone else find it rather odd that most of the defensive studs are playing for Alabama.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if every player on the 'bama defense winds up as a starter in the NFL. Some will only be serviceable, solid starters but others could very well turn into pro bowlers. I said in a thread somewhere we merely needed to decide which position we need most and draft 'bama's starter at that position. lol

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at all if every player on the 'bama defense winds up as a starter in the NFL. Some will only be serviceable, solid starters but others could very well turn into pro bowlers. I said in a thread somewhere we merely needed to decide which position we need most and draft 'bama's starter at that position. lol

Alabama and Iowa always seem to produce NFL studs on a consistent basis.