Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Feels Short Changed By The Lockout

GoColts8818

If everyone knew the lockout would last as long as it did,would peyton having surgery earlier not made sense?

To me that's the big quesiton I would like to know. Who dropped the ball on that one? If this injury really happened back in 2006 there is no reason this thing should not have been scheduled right after the Jets game just to make sure something like this didn't happen.

From what I remember reading it occurred this offseason. Something to do with being on vacation or something. I don't think this is a carry over from last season or anything to that effect.

When he had the work done the news that came out was that Manning had it worked on becuase it had been bothering him for "a while" So I do think it's a carry over from some season past. If you believe Dungy he thinks it dates back to the Redskins game in 2006.

Manning could have had his surgery earlier if it was really bothering him. He could have had ample second and third opinions before doing it in February or March instead of May. You would think he would have learnt something from his bursac sac surgery experience regarding timelines and recovery.

Manning could have had his surgery earlier if it was really bothering him. He could have had ample second and third opinions before doing it in February or March instead of May. You would think he would have learnt something from his bursac sac surgery experience regarding timelines and recovery.

You'd Think! That's what frustrates me about this there is no reason it couldn't have been done sooner than it was just to avoid this situation.

they knew the lockout was coming and he couldn't rehab right away with team doctors, which apparently was very important to him and the team. I'm thinking getting the surgery at the beginning of the lockout might have really slowed his recovery being without Colts personnel.

i think he waited till the last possible day in May to have that surgery to ensure that the team could rehab him and they still make it for the start of the season.

Although it didn't end as soon as they would have hoped.

they knew the lockout was coming and he couldn't rehab right away with team doctors, which apparently was very important to him and the team. I'm thinking getting the surgery at the beginning of the lockout might have really slowed his recovery being without Colts personnel.

Yes, and no. One cannot tell me that his team doctor could not have recommended people that would have treated Manning with utmost care like the Colts team doctor would have. Heck, if they really wanted it to do it with just the team doctor, they could have got the team doctor off the Colts staff, get the Manning rehab going, then re-instate the team doctor back to the team later. There are ways to get around it.

When he had the work done the news that came out was that Manning had it worked on becuase it had been bothering him for "a while" So I do think it's a carry over from some season past. If you believe Dungy he thinks it dates back to the Redskins game in 2006.

It might stem from that game.

I just remember reading something about him being on vacation and returning to Indy to have it looked at. Of course what is reported by the Media & or the Colts could be far from the truth.

Quote from Archie

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jun/06/archie-manning-peyton-mannings-recovery-going-slow/

It’s just something that came up and had to be done, so hopefully it’ll work out.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/5570121-419/colts-peyton-manning-recovers-after-neck-surgery-in-chicago.html

Manning emphasized the two procedures addressed separate issues. The latest involved discomfort in Manning’s neck that surfaced recently.

It seems the first operation could have easily come from the Redskins 2006 game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6584790

If the lockout had not been in effect, it's likely Manning would have played through the pain and skipped the second procedure altogether, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

It also seems like Irsay & the Colts were kept abreast of everything. It just sucks that Manning wasn't able to be treated @ the Colts facility/Doctors/staff afterwards. That shouldn't have been limited due to the lockout but it was.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=13678631

Even though the NFL has locked out its players, communication between teams and players in these cases is allowed. So Manning was able to contact the team and its doctors before heading to Chicago for the operation.

"Now is the time to do it, the end of May," Irsay reasoned. "He's had things tougher than this before."

Manning, 35, had surgery at the same Chicago hospital in March 2010 to alleviate the problems a pinched nerve had caused for about four years.

Based on Manning's work ethic, if he had a problem soon after the season was over, he would have addressed it as soon as possible. I think he addressed it when it came up and he couldn't address it in Feb/March because it didn't seem to be an issue at that point.

Based on Manning's work ethic, if he had a problem soon after the season was over, he would have addressed it as soon as possible. I think he addressed it when it came up and he couldn't address it in Feb/March because it didn't seem to be an issue at that point.

i agree. it's silly for us to speculate manning dropped the ball on this

it is what it is. we can only hope for the best. in a morbid sort of way, i am a little bit curious to see how we'd do without manning for a game or two

Why didn't they just fire the team doctors, which would free them to work with Manning during the lockout, and then rehire them when the lockout ended?

Right, because that wouldn't have come with a giant set of problems...

Look, people, we have no idea why it happened the way it did. Manning did it when he felt he needed it, and the advice he got was expert, I'm sure. Everything we're coming up with just makes us sound like armchair know-it-all's.

I wasn't sure if this should have it's own topic or not so if someone wants to merg this with one of the other Peyton Manning threads go ahead.

http://www.fox59.com/sports/wxin-20110820-colts-irsay-manning,0,5612148.story

I remember reading something back in the late spring or early summer that doctors had tried all sorts of treatments in hopes to avoid surgery but nothing was helping as they had hoped. I don't think it is Manning being lax in his making the decision (not that is what you were implying).