Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Veteran Qb? (Merge)

Exodus

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

Okay, there are probably dozens i missed. If there is one you would like to see in a Colts Uniform, let us know here :)

Again, this is a poll for which QB we would like to see the colts grab if Peyton Isn't ready week 1.

My personal vote is Jon Kitna, the guys got game. Not to mention hes smart and a great leader.

I like him just because I think he's smart enough to pick our offense in two weeks. I would say he is the last of my choices of the three I listed. Sorgi (if healthy) is my first choice, then Collins, and then Pennington.

I mean he's the last on the poll. He's my second option, behind the Sorginator.

I mean he's the last on the poll. He's my second option, behind the Sorginator.

Position on the poll doesnt matter, i was just adding them as i thought of them. Both my parents went to Marshall University, so im a Pennington fan by genetics.

Save the money if Peyton doesnt play the first week we are doomed. any qb they bring in at this time will not learn the system in time to be effective. Plus we have no running game and unless it has improved drastically only someone as good as Peyton can make a difference.

0-1 without Peyton.

I kind of agree. If we save the money and doom our season, we can get Andrew Luck. :)

If I had to pick though, I'd go with someone slightly younger than Collins. If we go Collins, he's just going to retire next season anyways and we'll lose all the reps and starting time we put into him. Let's go Chad Pennington, Jon Kitna, or someone around that age.

I kind of agree. If we save the money and doom our season, we can get Andrew Luck. :)

If I had to pick though, I'd go with someone slightly younger than Collins. If we go Collins, he's just going to retire next season anyways and we'll lose all the reps and starting time we put into him. Let's go Chad Pennington, Jon Kitna, or someone around that age.

Jon K. Kitna (born September 21, 1972

Kerry Michael Collins (born December 30, 1972

Pennington is 4 years younger, but as I mentioned before he is injured and from last I read out for the season due to an ACL tear playing basketball.

Collins a few month younger, but has more miles on him than Kitna..

Bill Polian drafted Kerry Collins and I am sure is still high on him. Kerry Collins is a good pocket passer if well protected and will fit with our offense pretty good as a back up. He would be my first choice.

Jon Kitna would be able to scramble more and make plays while moving better than Kerry Collins if plays and/or protections break down. So, he would be my second choice.

If nothing else, call up Brett Favre (j/k) and ask him to play back up behind the current iron man of the NFL, Peyton Manning. Just make sure he doesn't go Tonya Harding on Peyton during practice to protect his streak, lol :).

Imo we should try to trade for Matt Lienart. I wish that the bengals owner, Mike Brown, would let go of Carson's rights b/c at this point I'm pretty sure he'll sign with any team not named the bengals at this point. Also, we should look at Drew Stanton. One thing I do know is that pretty much anybody, but who we have now especially painter will do better. IRSAY NEEDS TO GET ON THIS NOW!

IF THE COLTS FEEL IT IMPERATIVE (WHICH IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS) TO FIND A VETERAN QB TO BEGIN THE REGULAR SEASON, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE J.P. LOSSMAN BROUGHT OUT OF RETIREMENT. BUT IF THATS TOO MUCH OF A STRETCH, THEN BRADY QUINN WOULD BE MY NEXT CHOICE FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY CARSON PALMER !

Something didn't make sense, so I checked it out.

Jon Kitna: #2 QB with the Cowboys. Had to play last year, did pretty well. Unlikely to be released.

Daunte Culpepper: Free Agent

Brady Quinn: #2 QB for the Broncos, seems to have passed Tebow. Unlikely to be released.

Marc Bulger: Turned down many offers and retired.

Shaun Hill: #2 QB for the Lions. Might be released, maybe. Would have to start without the benefit of even preseason if it came to it.

Charlie Whitehurst: #2 in Seattle, just acquired last season for a 3rd rounder and swapping 2nd rounders with the Chargers. Not likely to be released.

Trent Edwards: #2 on the Raiders. Not likely to be released.

Chad Pennington: Tore his ACL playing basketball in the offseason, not ready to play. Has also underwent 4 shoulder surgeries. Safe to question how much he has left.

I'm not sure most of these guys would be better than Painter even if they are released, as they'd likely be cut at the end of the preseason, giving them only very little time to get acclimated with the system. It's an odd list of mostly unavailable QBs.

J.T. O'Sullivan would be worth it, if only to extend his "Most NFL teams played for" record to 12.

While I do want a different backup, I don't think there is a chance Peyton won't play. It's just not in his nature. Unless he's missing a leg, he'll play.

whitehurst could learn alot from peyton manning all of these qb's can. but the thing is not with our recieving crop without manning basicly doing everything for the wr but making the catch our wide outs other than wayne and clark. are subpar and we would need playmakers and playmaker would make up for what a qb lacks. smh i kno it wont happen but just imagine peyton to t.o or moss or steve smith etc.we would not need to stop the run beause we would always be up 10 to 20 points....

Something didn't make sense, so I checked it out.

I'm not sure most of these guys would be better than Painter even if they are released, as they'd likely be cut at the end of the preseason, giving them only very little time to get acclimated with the system. It's an odd list of mostly unavailable QBs.

J.T. O'Sullivan would be worth it, if only to extend his "Most NFL teams played for" record to 12.

While I do want a different backup, I don't think there is a chance Peyton won't play. It's just not in his nature. Unless he's missing a leg, he'll play.

Good assessment of the that list except for the fact that Pennington while available from a contract point of view, he isn't able to play at this point. Torn ACL in the off season playing basketball.

Good assessment of the that list except for the fact that Pennington while available from a contract point of view, he isn't able to play at this point. Torn ACL in the off season playing basketball.

Good call. I'll update it.

So the only person available on the list to sign and get acclimated with the team is likely Culpepper.

Okay, there are probably dozens i missed. If there is one you would like to see in a Colts Uniform, let us know here :)

Again, this is a poll for which QB we would like to see the colts grab if Peyton Isn't ready week 1.

My personal vote is Jon Kitna, the guys got game. Not to mention hes smart and a great leader.

Of the guys in the poll I voted for Kitna. He did well for Dallas filling in for Romo.

Others not in the poll that I wouldn't mind would be Sorgi, Garcia or Collins.

If Irsay is indeed serious about getting a veteran QB, which I have serious doubts about, then Bulger(if he would unretire) or Sorgi would be the best options. Sorgi never lit it up by any means, but compared to Painter, he looks like a superstar.

My brother sent me this in an email when we were discussing it earlier.

http://www.profootballweekly.com

Quarterbacks FA type

Brian Brohm UFA Bills

Marc Bulger UFA Ravens Retired

Kerry Collins UFA Titans Retired

Todd Collins UFA Bears

Brodie Croyle UFA Chiefs

Jake Delhomme cut Browns

Brett Favre UFA Vikings Retired

Charlie Frye UFA Raiders

Chris Greisen UFA Cowboys

J.P. Losman UFA Seahawks

J.T. O'Sullivan UFA Raiders

Chad Pennington UFA Dolphins INJURED will not play in 2011 ACL Basketball injury.

Patrick Ramsey UFA Vikings

Brian St. Pierre UFA Panthers

Chris Simms UFA Titans

Troy Smith UFA 49ers

Jim Sorgi UFA Giants

Daunte Culpepper would have to be added since he's had a recent try out with San Fran.

Not a very inspiring list. I'd still give Collins/Sorgi the edge due to the Polian/Colts connections. Delhomme & Bulger would be the steadiest of the remaining players and that isn't saying much. Todd Collins for maybe a game. Most of the other names thrown around, Kitna, Volek, Quinn, Leinart would all have to involve a trade, and while those are better options than many on the list above, they are much more expensive due to the draft pick(s) that would be involved to obtain them.

I personally don't see us trading away draft picks. So based on that, Bulger makes the most sense. I would be ok with Collins also. Someone that I don't think would make a lost of mistakes AND COULD ACTUALLY MOVE OUR OFFENSE! :) Sorry, did I just use caps?

Please someone fill me in here, but I was thinking once the retirment papers had been submitted and accepted by the league (Collins, Bulger) that is was basically an act of congress to return to the league?

I do not think it is something that can happen immediately?

A little help from soneone that knows more please.