Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade For Tebow?

samuelfan

i would love to trade for tebow for a medium round pick but ATM he would be more bad then good for the colts if manning misses some games especially if Manning's on the PUP list. He would have to learn a new, orthodox offense which calls him to do more audibles and such, but whatever other people say, he does bring a leader mentality and the colts may need that if Manning can't play (btw even if Manning's ok, i would love to have him to develop just sayin)

This may have been a response to someone on another topic, but there is no way the Broncos are trading Tim Tebow. In fact, this topic should instead be about trading for Kyle Orton. The Broncos had to give up an arm and a leg for Tim Tebow in the draft. There's no way they will let Tebow go for anything less than another arm and a leg. Tebow is still a "box of chocolates" pick because we've only see him play in preseason and meaningless late season games, one being against the worst ranking pass defense in the NFL (Texans).

I'd love to get him, but the trading price would be ridiculous. Kyle Orton is a cheaper trade than Tebow atm, though their front office wont admit it.

Is this a serious question (or is it sarcasm?) Our offense is designed on accuracy and precision routes. I don't think Tim's jump pass would be much of a fit here. Not only that, you would be trading for his contract as well....he is owed 1st round money for the next 2-3 years. Not a chance.

This may have been a response to someone on another topic, but there is no way the Broncos are trading Tim Tebow. In fact, this topic should instead be about trading for Kyle Orton. The Broncos had to give up an arm and a leg for Tim Tebow in the draft. There's no way they will let Tebow go for anything less than another arm and a leg. Tebow is still a "box of chocolates" pick because we've only see him play in preseason and meaningless late season games, one being against the worst ranking pass defense in the NFL (Texans).

I'd love to get him, but the trading price would be ridiculous. Kyle Orton is a cheaper trade than Tebow atm, though their front office wont admit it.

You are right about one thing, and wrong about another.

Right: The Broncos won't trade Tebow.

Wrong: Orton would not be cheaper than Tebow. Orton is a proven veteran who can win football games (in the right system). We'd have to mortgage some part of our future to get him, and he likely wouldn't do much good in the system Peyton built.

Whats the deal is Manning not going to be ready???

He will be ready, but as usual, the world is coming to an end because he isn't out there for the pre-season games. The same pre-season games that all of these fans swear don't mean anything. The same pre-season games that our players and coaches rarely do anything with outside of giving a few starters some reps, while mostly working out the back ups.

This can't be serious. Tebow does not fit the Colts AT ALL. I'm not even sure where this came from.

Peyton will be fine and he will start the season. He's going to be run happy and may make some bad throws rushing the ball out in order to avoid the turf but he'll be out there for week 1.

If it's just a 2nd round pick, then whatever, I'd do it. He might not fit our system, but that's where Jim Caldwell needs to step up and say, "Hey, I can be like Bill Belichick too!" And change his system to fit his players. Tim Tebow's work ethic, leadership, and personality are unquestionably effective and that's what we need out of our QB's. We can coach Tebow on everything else. After all, he will be working under Peyton Manning (odd though why Painter can't learn squat, hmm...)

If it's just a 2nd round pick, then whatever, I'd do it. He might not fit our system, but that's where Jim Caldwell needs to step up and say, "Hey, I can be like Bill Belichick too!" And change his system to fit his players. Tim Tebow's work ethic, leadership, and personality are unquestionably effective and that's what we need out of our QB's. We can coach Tebow on everything else. After all, he will be working under Peyton Manning (odd though why Painter can't learn squat, hmm...)

Frankly I think we'd have to give up less than that. Starters in this league have been traded for fourth and fifth round picks. We shouldn't have to get much for a guy who is clearly wearing out his welcome with another team. Again if that's who we want. Also that's the thing about Belichick he didn't realy change his system for Cassel. Yes they made small changes and limited the playbook some but it was largely the same system. The Pats draft players that fit their system. I don't think Tebow would fit ours so I don't know if he's the best choice for a back up QB.

Frankly I think we'd have to give up less than that. Starters in this league have been traded for fourth and fifth round picks. We shouldn't have to get much for a guy who is clearly wearing out his welcome with another team. Again if that's who we want. Also that's the thing about Belichick he didn't realy change his system for Cassel. Yes they made small changes and limited the playbook some but it was largely the same system. The Pats draft players that fit their system. I don't think Tebow would fit ours so I don't know if he's the best choice for a back up QB.

Did Steve Young have the same skill set as Joe Montana? How did that one turn out?

You also have to consider the Patriots have a very QB friendly offense, and like you said they did streamline their playbook some, they didn't alter it completely which is what we would have to do if he were to trade for Tebow. Brady could go down on his next snap and Coyer/Mallett would be able to take that team to the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't even be a hypothetical thought with Painter or Tebow, or maybe anyone for that matter if 18 were to miss the season.

Did Steve Young have the same skill set as Joe Montana? How did that one turn out?

They didn't have the same exact skill set, which is extremely rare for QB's to have, but they were in a very QB friendly offense that has been fruitful for 25 years or so. We aren't running a west coast offense, or a QB friendly offense for that matter, or Painter/Orlovsky wouldn't be struggling with it so bad. In the end Sorgi could be move the ball in it, but still wasn't anywhere near as productive as Peyton has been.

While it might be a long term goal for the QB to fit the system, the system can change for another QB brought in. If the starting long ball QB is out and the short ball QB in then you modify the playbook for him.

It's not the type of QB that is the concern for the backup, it's how good he is. Can he move the chains with whatever style it takes.

While it might be a long term goal for the QB to fit the system, the system can change for another QB brought in. If the starting long ball QB is out and the short ball QB in then you modify the playbook for him.

It's not the type of QB that is the concern for the backup, it's how good he is. Can he move the chains with whatever style it takes.

Belichick might have the ability to do that. I'm not so sure Caldwell and Christensen have that ability.

I don't think Tim Tebow is a Hall of Famer either, and frankly other than Jerry Rice the 49ers offense with Young was very differnt from the one Montana had. They had down slide after Montana got hurt till about a year or two after they traded him where they were still good but not the power house they were during Montana's times and what they were rebult into under Young. Having a Hall of Fame QB will do that for you. It wasn't unlike how the Pacers rebuilt from the finals team to the team that was in the eastern conference finals before the brawl. The 49ers went from Super Bowl Champion to still a playoff team back to Super Bowl Champion.

You also have to consider the Patriots have a very QB friendly offense, and like you said they did streamline their playbook some, they didn't alter it completely which is what we would have to do if he were to trade for Tebow. Brady could go down on his next snap and Coyer/Mallett would be able to take that team to the playoffs. The playoffs wouldn't even be a hypothetical thought with Painter or Tebow, or maybe anyone for that matter if 18 were to miss the season.

Exactly, our system is Peyton Manning. I've always thought Manning is a throw back to the old player coach. Pretty much Manning lines them up at the line looks at the defense and change them into any play he wants based on the personal he has on the field and sometimes not on the field. Remember the Giants game last year where he sent someone out and Collie came in while they wer lined up and he threw right to Collie? You are asking A LOT for another QB to be able to come in and do that. Frankly Sorgi could because of how much time he spent in the system which is why I think he might be the best call for us to go get.

The Pats also had other things they could lean on like a defense, a decent running game and a pretty good specail teams unit. We on the other hand have Peyton Manning. There were times last year where we couldn't run the ball, couldn't stop the run, were decent at best against the pass, and our special teams were a joke. All we had was Peyton and teams still couldn't stop him. I have a feeling other teams would be able to stop a back up QB to Peyton. Frankly if Peyton is out I don't expect us to win any games till he's back.

Exactly, our system is Peyton Manning. I've always thought Manning is a throw back to the old player coach. Pretty much Manning lines them up at the line looks at the defense and change them into any play he wants based on the personal he has on the field and sometimes not on the field. Remember the Giants game last year where he sent someone out and Collie came in while they wer lined up and he threw right to Collie? You are asking A LOT for another QB to be able to come in and do that. Frankly Sorgi could because of how much time he spent in the system which is why I think he might be the best call for us to go get.

The Pats also had other things they could lean on like a defense, a decent running game and a pretty good specail teams unit. We on the other hand have Peyton Manning. There were times last year where we couldn't run the ball, couldn't stop the run, were decent at best against the pass, and our special teams were a joke. All we had was Peyton and teams still couldn't stop him. I have a feeling other teams would be able to stop a back up QB to Peyton. Frankly if Peyton is out I don't expect us to win any games till he's back.

I disagree with the second paragraph and my explanation to the first should explain why. Yes, Manning is a player/coach on the field. He reads the defense. He can call for certain players or send certain players off the field. He calls pretty much whatever play he wants to at the line of scrimmage. However, no other quarterback in the league has this same freedom so there's no way our fans or coaching staff could expect a backup to be able to. If Manning goes down, then it's not only up to the backup QB to step up, but it's also up to the coaching staff to step up. They would have to do more of the analyzing against the defense. They would be the ones calling the plays. They would be the ones determining player personnel packages.

If Manning goes down, our offense has to change to be more controlled by the coaches and slow the game down and run a more normal offense because no one else could come in and play the Manning offense besides Manning. If the coaches let Painter and/or Orlovsky try to run the Manning offense then I can only hope it is to see how well they are able to do it. In a regular season, must win game I can't believe they would still do this. If they did then it would be their mistake. We don't know that this would happen though because we've never had to play a must-win game with anyone other than Manning.

The biggest problem with trying to bring in a new QB this late would be that he would have to learn the playbook and be able to get some rhythm and timing with the current receivers, not trying to get him to be able to run the offense the way Peyton does. ;)

why not trade for tim tebow, i think he will be able to play the games peyton misses plus we can develop him since you guys dont think hes good enough

Tebow is horrible. Best case scenario, he's a project player who still needs to be developed. How would trading for him help us now, should Peyton miss any time? Right now he wouldn't make the Colts any better than having Orlowsky or Painter starting... And that's saying something.