Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much was Addai missed?

bayone

from 18 to 88

after a 6 paragraph analysis with addai out & considereing also when Clark & Collie were out and when Addai returned while the others were still on IR

The article Concludes with

A small sample, but it does suggest that Addai's absence was in part responsible for the high rate of interceptions and difficulty attacking downfield the Colts had midseason. A very plausible suggestion given that Addai is a fantastic pass blocker and his primary replacement was (to put it mildly) not.

While Addai isn't the most important free agent the Colts have (obviously that's Peyton), he's very likely the most important who could actually leave once the new CBA is in place.

My link

Addai is incredibly important to this team. He runs well, can pass block and can catch well; he is like a security blanket. But I don't think you can just blame the problems on Addai missing, we played teams like the Pats and Chargers during that high INT stretch, both of those teams have strong defenses that Peyton has struggled with in years past. We also didn't have Clark, who some people view as the 2nd most important piece to the offense, and Collie, who tears defenses up in the slot. I even remember one pick in the Colts-Pats game where Garcon ran an option route where he either hooked if the defense was in zone or ran a vertical if the defense was in man. The D was in zone, but Peyton saw man. Garcon ran the hook, but Peyton threw the vertical and it was an easy pick for the Pats. That was simply a mistake on Peyton's part. There are a number of reasons why we had that high INT stretch, thankfully the chances of that happening again are very low.

Wow, I managed to get really off topic...Addai is very important to this team and was sorely missed.

Addai is incredibly important to this team. He runs well, can pass block and can catch well; he is like a security blanket. But I don't think you can just blame the problems on Addai missing, we played teams like the Pats and Chargers during that high INT stretch, both of those teams have strong defenses that Peyton has struggled with in years past. We also didn't have Clark, who some people view as the 2nd most important piece to the offense, and Collie, who tears defenses up in the slot. I even remember one pick in the Colts-Pats game where Garcon ran an option route where he either hooked if the defense was in zone or ran a vertical if the defense was in man. The D was in zone, but Peyton saw man. Garcon ran the hook, but Peyton threw the vertical and it was an easy pick for the Pats. That was simply a mistake on Peyton's part. There are a number of reasons why we had that high INT stretch, thankfully the chances of that happening again are very low.

Wow, I managed to get really off topic...Addai is very important to this team and was sorely missed.

He runs well? From his front gate to his car yes. That's about 3.8 yards?

I agree with your conclusion, article takes into account the time associated with others that was out and focuses on a small window of samples thats why ion its conclusion it says A small sample of ( games ) was used

I agree with your conclusion, article takes into account the time associated with others that was out and focuses on a small window of samples thats why ion its conclusion it says A small sample of ( games ) was used

He was missed sorely! As stated above his pass blocking and outlet abilities are very under appreciated and if you look at his career stats he is a very dependable runner who had a nice average behind a makeshift line last year.

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD

2006 IND 16 226 1081 67.6 4.8 2 7 40 325 20.3 8.1 0 1 2 0 0 0 0

2007 IND 15 261 1072 71.5 4.1 4 12 41 364 24.3 8.9 1 3 0 0 0 0 0

2008 IND 12 155 544 45.3 3.5 1 5 25 206 17.2 8.2 0 2 1 0 0 0 0

2009 IND 15 219 828 55.2 3.8 0 10 51 336 22.4 6.6 0 3 1 0 0 0 0

2010 IND 8 116 495 61.9 4.3 1 4 19 124 15.5 6.5 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Addai's first year in the league he had a great oline anchored by TARRIK GLENN and what happend, ADDAI went over 1000 yds as a rookie. If Costanzo/Ijalana turn out to be stud offensive lineman Addai should have a great end to his carrer..should be a 1200 yd rusher 8-10 touchdowns a year when healthy. Hes also an excellent reciever out of the back field.

He runs well? From his front gate to his car yes. That's about 3.8 yards?

He has the potential, our run blocking was just brutal. When given the blocking, he has run well. Even Adrian Peterson or CJ2K wouldn't do as well behind the Colts O-line as they have before

I disagree re AP and CJ. You are implying that Joe would be just as good as these guys if we had a better line, which is nonsense. Whilst it is clear that we have issues with our line, they have become more the reason to proclaim why Addai is so good, rather than Addai's own actual performance.

Manning is fantastic, despite a poor line, yet Addai suffers? Great players overcome surrounding weaknesses.

Not saying Addai isn't a good player, but he isn't great, and he does not run well in my opinion.

I disagree re AP and CJ. You are implying that Joe would be just as good as these guys if we had a better line, which is nonsense. Whilst it is clear that we have issues with our line, they have become more the reason to proclaim why Addai is so good, rather than Addai's own actual performance.

Manning is fantastic, despite a poor line, yet Addai suffers? Great players overcome surrounding weaknesses.

Not saying Addai isn't a good player, but he isn't great, and he does not run well in my opinion.

I didn't mean to imply that Joe is as good as those two. There is no denying AP and CJ are better than Addai. I just meant that our O-line doesn't run block well. CJ would never have gotten close to 2000 yards from scrimmage behind our O-line. AP would never have gotten 296 yards in one game behind our O-line.

Addai has performed well when the O-line has blocked well, the two go hand in hand. It's not very likely to have a poor run blocking O-line and have a back that runs for 1200 yards. Manning has the option of throwing the ball early (which he had to do many times last year) to prevent a sack, Addai can't just throw the ball away or anything. He does what he can to avoid the tackle, but if the O-line blocks poorly, he has few options.

I think he runs well. He's not a great player, but he does a fine job as a ball carrier, as long as he's not hit in the backfield. I think it's disingenuous to suggest that any running back would look great playing behind the line we trotted out there last year. And that's without mentioning the injuries Joe suffered last year. Either way, he's not on the level of the best backs in the NFL; he's probably second or even third tier, and is ultimately replaceable. But he's a very good pass blocker, a very good receiver out of the backfield, and he's at least sufficient as a ball carrier, assuming the line isn't absolutely awful. Would prefer we keep him, but only for a certain price.

Another thing not mentioned about Addai is that if he gets out of the backfields (doesn't even matter if it was a yard) he always seems to lean forward for the extra yard after contact. That to me is a huge deal. A lot of players could shy away from contact and go down immediately, but Joe will fight for us. That also contributes to the 4.3ypc he had last year that wyld was referring to. I remember when all of the injuries started last year Teddy Bruschi on ESPN was saying that Manning, Clark, and Addai are the 3 most important pieces to the offense of the Colts. Teddy always comments on the Colts because he studied for our rivalry games for so many years. I would have to agree with his statements. We are a team that only needs 3-3.5 YPC because we are built to pass. Our line is built to protect Peyton in passing situations and not create holes for whatever running back is in the backfield. The only argument I could say for not keeping Addai would be that I think everyone agrees Addai is a phenomenal blocking back. Are we going to need a strong blocking back as much as we have in the past with the addition of new linemen? Time will tell, but I am glad RBs like Williams and Benson are free agents as well. They should be scooped up first so we can resign Addai for a good price *fingers crosses*

We need to re-sign Addai, but only at the right price. Keep in mind Polian has a history of letting RBs go (Faulk, James) and we have a pretty crowded backfield with Brown, Hart (if he re-signs, I'm hoping he does), James and Carter. I don't think he should be paid as a top 5 Colts player, but definitely top 10.