Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have any of you changed your minds?

Raycolts12

He's overrated I mean you would think he's won superbowls or something the way some people talk bout him, the game is slowing passing him bye as it do many coaches

I don't know if the game is passing him by. It's not like he was a great, top notch coach back in the day, and now is falling behind. He was always in charge of teams that were up and down, inconsistent, never dominant over any stretch of time. You're right, he does have a reputation as one of the best coaches in recent history, and I don't think he is. He had some good teams, and he even got to the Super Bowl once. He's not terrible; he doesn't suck. But I don' think there's anything special about him at all.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the game is passing him by. It's not like he was a great, top notch coach back in the day, and now is falling behind. He was always in charge of teams that were up and down, inconsistent, never dominant over any stretch of time. You're right, he does have a reputation as one of the best coaches in recent history, and I don't think he is. He had some good teams, and he even got to the Super Bowl once. He's not terrible; he doesn't suck. But I don' think there's anything special about him at all.

Agreed

I don't care about the result of one pre-season game.

I was just excited about that FOOTBALL is here. And it was great to see Luck on the field. Pinch me.

Thank goodness for me I DONT ever have to worry about who is or was better, Luck or Peyton. Who cares and what does it flippin matter.

Peyton is Peyton, and Luck is Luck.

I always worry about defense, we can all agree with a better defense, the Colts could have won more than one ring in the last decade with Peyton, I do not want to repeat that sentence years from now, with insert name "Luck"

I don't care about the result of one pre-season game.

I was just excited about that FOOTBALL is here. And it was great to see Luck on the field. Pinch me.

Thank goodness for me I DONT ever have to worry about who is or was better, Luck or Peyton. Who cares and what does it flippin matter.

Peyton is Peyton, and Luck is Luck.

I always worry about defense, we can all agree with a better defense, the Colts could have won more than one ring in the last decade with Peyton, I do not want to repeat that sentence years from now, with insert name "Luck"

We need a balanced team focused slightly more on offense

There is not a team in this league that you can find that doesn't employ some form of bend but don't break defense at some point in the game. Even when teams are not playing cover 2 you will still find them playing some form of off coverage. There is obviously a benefit to playing off otherwise teams would never do it. They had a reason for choosing to do so. I don't believe there are any teams that line up and say "hey we don't want these guys to get off the field". Every defense is designed to get the other team off the field. Unfortunately the other team gets paid as well to keep themselves on the field and they do it either by exploiting weak areas in the defense if it's zone or if it's man to man they exploit favorable talent and size match ups.

My statement regarding poor defenders had to do with the fact that we were getting beat due to the coverage that was played at the time and Bradfords ability to recognize the weak point in the defense. I made the point to say it had nothing to do with the talent level of the players on the defense. I don't care if the real Baltimore Ravens were running that defense against the Rams, the same result would have been achieved because Bradford found the weak point in the defense scheme. Any team would have got beaten who chose to run that defensive coverage against that offensive formation regardless of talent. These are things that are correctable in my eye. The pre-season is a time for experimentation, they can certainly make adjustments to what is being ran. Those things can be fixed most definitely.

The completions were mostly due to the opposing quarterback finding the weak point in the defense(vanilla) which was played at the time. Things like that can be cleaned up with preparation and game planning. Your take on things sounds like we just have holes all over the place. When you say "holes all over the place" it leads one to think that you are pointing to the lack of talent. I don't think there were very many people who watched the defense who would say those drives were due to talent issues. Now if you were not speaking to the talent level then I will stand corrected. However I believe that you were.

Now let's get to your statement about the Texans. As far as I am aware, Chuck Pagano was brought to Indianapolis to do the exact same thing as Wade Phillips was in Houston. They bought him in to fix the defense primarily. I'm not sure what "talent" you are speaking to in your assesment of the Texans when Phillips was brought in? Who did they have other than Mario Williams, Connor Barwin, and Brian Cushing? Is there anyone else on that defense that was worth mentioning other than those 3? They had the cornerback that now plays for Atlanta, but obviously he doesn't count. They had Kareem Jackson, but no one in there right mind will call that guy a good player.

When the draft came around they drafted Brooks Reed, J.J. Watt and they aquired Jonathan Joseph. Which one of those guys will you take over someone on this Colts team? I'd say not many! I wouldn't have any problems keeping Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis over Mario Williams and Connor Barwin or even Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin. I'd keep Jarrard Powers over Kareem Jackson. Brian Cushing is okay, but he's not so great that I would really be in a rush to get rid of Pat Angerer. I'd get rid of someone on this team for Jonathan Joseph, but that guy is definitely not talented enough for me to want him really bad. I'd also get rid of someone on this team for J.J. Watt, but i'm satisfied with Cory Redding if we had to keep him, and then there is Drake Nevis who is no slouch. I think the talent level between the Colts and the Texans is not far off at all defensively when you look closely at things. Point to someone on their defense and say "This guy is way better than anyone we have". You won't come up with many players at all!

I don't think I am saying we will do what they did last year because only time will tell, but talent wise I don't think we are far off at all when compared to what they have even on their current team.

Most teams play "bend but don't break" when they have a lead. Giving up back to back eleven play drives during the only part of a preseason game where your starters are going against the oppositions starters isn't likely to be what the Colts had in mind. I don't recall ever seeing the Ravens doing that intentionally.

Yes, there are holes and questions on the defense. Do I really need to list them? It's semantics because if certain questions get answered positively than there will be less holes, but we are a long way from knowing those answers.

Whatever bright spots were evident, once again my comments were in response to those who have upped their projection for this season up to 10 wins or more based on that game. I'm thinking six is more realistic.

What I was referring to with the Texan's is best summarized like this: their defensive starters last year featured an average draft position of 43.27, with five first round picks and four second round picks. Ours this year has an average draft position of 110.55, with one first round pick and two second round picks. And our two "best" players are getting up there in years - I think that every Texan is in his prime. Sure, there is more to "talent" than that (ie: Robert Mathis), and you may have your own opinion of any individuals ability, but I think it's a safe argument that they had a lot more raw material to work with. You can't teach athletic ability.

Not really. I might have upped the ceiling a bit just based on how well both sides of the ball executed Sunday (seriously, that was phenomenal)

But I still am expecting serious growing pains and that will likely translate into a losing record. If forced to pick a record I'd say 6-10 but if things go right it could be over .500.

If forced to pick a record I'd say 6-10 but if things go right it could be over .500.

Look at Cincy last year. People say that they have a good D, and they probably had a better d than we will have this year. BUT, we have the X-factor known as Luck. Dalton did a good job, but...... I believe this offense can be special.

I'm a realist. When the colts stunk, I admitted it and drank another beer. Been that way for 40 years. The colts DON'T stink. They might not make the playoffs, but have we a lot to look forward to. Other fans are doing this right now----------> :facepalm: because they know we have a real shot at not missing a beat (so to speak) in changing QB's. We should be grateful for what we now have.

I'm not one to say Peyton who? I love the guy to death, and will be rooting for him as long as he isn't playing the colts. But I bleed blue, and I'm psyched for the future of the colts. I love everything they've done so far.

Let's get to your statement about the Texans. As far as I am aware, Chuck Pagano was brought to Indianapolis to do the exact same thing as Wade Phillips was in Houston. They bought him in to fix the defense primarily. I'm not sure what "talent" you are speaking to in your assesment of the Texans when Phillips was brought in? Who did they have other than Mario Williams, Connor Barwin, and Brian Cushing? Is there anyone else on that defense that was worth mentioning other than those 3? They had the cornerback that now plays for Atlanta, but obviously he doesn't count. They had Kareem Jackson, but no one in there right mind will call that guy a good player.

When the draft came around they drafted Brooks Reed, J.J. Watt and they aquired Jonathan Joseph. Which one of those guys will you take over someone on this Colts team? I'd say not many! I wouldn't have any problems keeping Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis over Mario Williams and Connor Barwin or even Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin. I'd keep Jarrard Powers over Kareem Jackson. Brian Cushing is okay, but he's not so great that I would really be in a rush to get rid of Pat Angerer. I'd get rid of someone on this team for Jonathan Joseph, but that guy is definitely not talented enough for me to want him really bad. I'd also get rid of someone on this team for J.J. Watt, but i'm satisfied with Cory Redding if we had to keep him, and then there is Drake Nevis who is no slouch. I think the talent level between the Colts and the Texans is not far off at all defensively when you look closely at things. Point to someone on their defense and say "This guy is way better than anyone we have". You won't come up with many players at all!

You may be the worst judge of talent I've ever seen. Or you're just a complete homer.

Just think of it, a Colts homer on a Colts board. Whats next? Dogs and cats living together?

;)

Even homers should recognize another team's talents when they see it lol.

All teams and animals can co-exist with one another. Hey, it worked for Garfield and Oddie. Just don't ask me to clean up the litterbox okay? haha

Yes QwizBoy, the Texans are my dark horse SB team this year. Both you and Vance87 know how much I respect Wade Phillips, JJ Watt, Aaron Foster, and Matt Schaub. :thmup:

All teams and animals can co-exist with one another. Hey, it worked for Garfield and Oddie. Just don't ask me to clean up the litterbox okay? haha

Yes QwizBoy, the Texans are my dark horse SB team this year. Both you and Vance87 know how much I respect Wade Phillips, JJ Watt, Aaron Foster, and Matt Schaub. :thmup:

Thanks southwest, you know that both Vance and I both greatly appreciate your viewpoints. You can take Schaub off of that list though...we won't be offended. :P

Nice to see you posting again QuizBoy! I always enjoy reading your posts. I like members on here who support a different, favorite NFL squad because they have an unbiased pair of eyes with a fresh perspective. All constructive criticism is welcome here. Analysis flows both ways flattering and not so flattering or a NFL regime needs to do some heavy lifting yet. Keep it up!

Thanks southwest, you know that both Vance and I both greatly appreciate your viewpoints. You can take Schaub off of that list though...we won't be offended. :P

When he was about to get sacked in the Carolina game, and he threw it straight into the arms of the Panther LB...I just went "Ughh vintage Schaub." He's got all year to prove me wrong though.

When he was about to get sacked in the Carolina game, and he threw it straight into the arms of the Panther LB...I just went "Ughh vintage Schaub." He's got all year to prove me wrong though.

Hahaha yep, my aunt said the same thing, Schaub being Schaub. Hopefully he can prove all of us wrong...if he hoists the Lombardi Trophy this season, or doesn't make so many costly mistakes, he'll be good enough for me.

Actually, it ticks me off that so many people dismiss Matt Schaub as a Playoff caliber QB because the man is very good and the only reason he gets overlooked was because the Colts dominated that division so long courtesy of Peyton Manning. I still say the Texans will win the AFC South for the next 2 seasons. I just wanna see Brady vs. Schaub in the AFC Championship Game this year just to dumbfound and astonish the doubters and naysayers. Wade has fixed your defense now. The sky is the limit or should I say Vince Lombardi Trophy. No, I'm not intoxicated or suffering from hallucinations either.

Actually, it ticks me off that so many people dismiss Matt Schaub as a Playoff caliber QB because the man is very good and the only reason he gets overlooked was because the Colts dominated that division so long courtesy of Peyton Manning. I still say the Texans will win the AFC South for the next 2 seasons. I just wanna see Brady vs. Schaub in the AFC Championship Game this year just to dumbfound and astonish the doubters and naysayers. Wade has fixed your defense now. The sky is the limit or should I say Vince Lombardi Trophy. No, I'm not intoxicated or suffering from hallucinations either.

On paper, that's the way things are looking right now as well. Unless some unexpected challenger comes along, Brady vs. Schaub is going to happen sooner or later. Your observation about Peyton Manning is right, and now the tables have been turned on Schaub: He is now the most experienced quarterback and old man of the division hahaha. Well, unless you count Hasselbeck. I dislike his tendency of boneheadness at times but hopefully he'll get over that hump and it'll be good for us. He and Kubiak are very similar in the eyes of the fans here, it's a Super Bowl or nothing attitude hahaha.

I know this won't happen this year, but I'd love to see Andy Dalton and Matt Shaub square off in the SB. 2 stellar defenses collide with one another while the "Red Rifle" and Matt Schaub, 2 unknown field general commodities, strive to engrave their names into NFL immortality. That would be a great SB to watch IMO. 2 hungry franchises who believe in a solid ground game and who analysts always seem to dismiss as contenders for a Championship.

Okay, it's late and my brain is misfiring....Let me rephrase...Considering that the Bengals play in the same division as the Steelers, that puts them in the AFC. This matchup would be another good AFC Championship Game IMO Bengals VS. Houston. SB= Houston Vs. Green Bay.

I know this won't happen this year, but I'd love to see Andy Dalton and Matt Shaub square off in the SB. 2 stellar defenses collide with one another while the "Red Rifle" and Matt Schaub, 2 unknown field general commodities, strive to engrave their names into NFL immortality. That would be a great SB to watch IMO. 2 hungry franchises who believe in a solid ground game and who analysts always seem to dismiss as contenders for a Championship.

If only we both didn't play in the AFC. Otherwise I would love to see Dalton in the Super Bowl against us hahaha...but I'd prefer Romo and the Cowboys. That would make things much easier hahaha.

If only we both didn't play in the AFC. Otherwise I would love to see Dalton in the Super Bowl against us hahaha...but I'd prefer Romo and the Cowboys. That would make things much easier hahaha.

I caught my mistake. For some reason, I always want to lump the Bengals in with San Francisco's division. No rational reason for this. Yeah, just wait until the 4th Quarter and Romo will fumble the ball or throw a pick. Just ask the Seattle SeaHawks or NY Giants right? haha

On paper, that's the way things are looking right now as well. Unless some unexpected challenger comes along, Brady vs. Schaub is going to happen sooner or later. Your observation about Peyton Manning is right, and now the tables have been turned on Schaub: He is now the most experienced quarterback and old man of the division hahaha. Well, unless you count Hasselbeck. I dislike his tendency of boneheadness at times but hopefully he'll get over that hump and it'll be good for us. He and Kubiak are very similar in the eyes of the fans here, it's a Super Bowl or nothing attitude hahaha.

Hasselback has been riddled with back problems lately. No real obstacle here due to health concerns. Yup, that division is ripe for the taking Schaub. Now, is the time to seal the deal and punch your SB ticket to New Orleans IMO.

You may be the worst judge of talent I've ever seen. Or you're just a complete homer.

Of course you'll say that, you're a Texan fan! But if you make a statement like that please prove it or otherwise it's

no more than just a blank statement. Any of the players I listed in my post please prove otherwise that it is not the case.

I've made that statement more than once in this forum and very few people blew me up over it because even they know

that your Texans play well as a collective, but judging their individual talents on defense they are just not that talented

to the point where you literally fear playing that team.

Even homers should recognize another team's talents when they see it lol.

If I am the "homer" you speak of please tell me which players on the Texans D are much better than ours?

I never spoke about the Texans offense because I respect the heck out of their offense. It's the talent on their D that I question. They play well as a group, I never denied that but who do they have on that Defense that is that much better than the guys we have?

I am not on here comparing our D against the 49ers because their D individually and collectively is better than the Colts period. I am not on here comparing our D against the Ravens because individually and collectively they are better than us period. I am not on here comparing our D against the Steelers because individually and collectively they are better than the colts. I am not on here even comparing our D against the San Diego Chargers because they are better than the Colts. As for the Texans I don't feel that way and it's not because I'm a homer or hating on them because they are in our division.

Look at their schedule from last year, they didn't even play any real offensive teams other than the Saints and their defense got lit up in that game. The next closest team they played was the Falcons and they did good against them,but the Falcons are the same team that got in the playoffs and scored a whopping 2 points against the Giants. The Falcons are not always consistent on offense. I'll throw Carolina in the mix as well.

Look at who they played last year. Do you see many Offensive juggernauts on here?

The Saints had their way with them, When the Colts had a quarterback in the game who half way knew what he was doing we didn't have a problem moving the ball against them. I watched the game when they played Carolina and the Panthers moved the ball pretty well on them.

They did ok against the Falcons but the Falcons are inconsistent

2011 Houston Texans Schedule

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/texans-learn-2011-schedule/801e6a78-30af-418b-b06f-2d00d26ed6e5

Will the Texans win against the Peyton Manning led Broncos head to head in the playoffs?

Will Shaub be on his annual IR vacation by the time the playoffs come?

Don't get me wrong because I like Shaub but these are my questions!

If I am the "homer" you speak of please tell me which players on the Texans D are much better than ours?

I never spoke about the Texans offense because I respect the heck out of their offense. It's the talent on their D that I question. They play well as a group, I never denied that but who do they have on that Defense that is that much better than the guys we have?

I am not on here comparing our D against the 49ers because their D individually and collectively is better than the Colts period. I am not on here comparing our D against the Ravens because individually and collectively they are better than us period. I am not on here comparing our D against the Steelers because individually and collectively they are better than the colts. I am not on here even comparing our D against the San Diego Chargers because they are better than the Colts. As for the Texans I don't feel that way and it's not because I'm a homer or hating on them because they are in our division.

Look at their schedule from last year, they didn't even play any real offensive teams other than the Saints and their defense got lit up in that game. The next closest team they played was the Falcons and they did good against them,but the Falcons are the same team that got in the playoffs and scored a whopping 2 points against the Giants. The Falcons are not always consistent on offense. I'll throw Carolina in the mix as well.

Look at who they played last year. Do you see many Offensive juggernauts on here?

The Saints had their way with them, When the Colts had a quarterback in the game who half way knew what he was doing we didn't have a problem moving the ball against them. I watched the game when they played Carolina and the Panthers moved the ball pretty well on them.

They did ok against the Falcons but the Falcons are inconsistent

2011 Houston Texans Schedule

http://www.houstonte...6f-2d00d26ed6e5

I see what you're saying, but Drew Brees threw for over 5,000 yards last season. He lit up a lot of good teams, including the Bears, Lions, Giants, and Falcons. You really think that Pittsburgh or Baltimore has a better defense than us? When we were ranked #1 for the majority of the season last year, and finished at #2, only behind the 49ers? Our defense makes the Chargers defense look like a piece of cake. Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, and Brian Cushing are greatly and underservedly unappreciated players, especially the latter. Cushing is an animal and the reason our defense is the way it is. He's our "Ray Lewis". Johnathan Joseph was arguably the best free agent signing last season, and Danieal Manning and Glover Quin are rocks at the safety positions. Not to mention JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. I don't care who we play, had we made it to the AFCCG last year, I really believe that our defense could have given Tom Brady fits, and our offense would have gassed the Patriot defense. I'm not being biased here, either; Even if I was a Titans fan (shudder) I would still see how incredible the Texans as a team collectively really are. I look forward to playing teams like the Packers, Patriots, and Bears this year, just so the Texans can prove, yet again, that they are Super Bowl capable.

I caught my mistake. For some reason, I always want to lump the Bengals in with San Francisco's division. No rational reason for this. Yeah, just wait until the 4th Quarter and Romo will fumble the ball or throw a pick. Just ask the Seattle SeaHawks or NY Giants right? haha

Hahahaha, yeah, it would make sense, all of the lowly teams at one point in time now on the rise. I have ran out of likes, I had to comment hahahaha.

Will the Texans win against the Peyton Manning led Broncos head to head in the playoffs?

Will Shaub be on his annual IR vacation by the time the playoffs come?

Don't get me wrong because I like Shaub but these are my questions!

I think that the Chargers get the West this year. If not them, then the Chiefs. But Manning and the Broncos will storm the gates next season. Hopefully Schaub stays uninjured, but if he goes down again, I think Kubiak is very confident with T.J. Yates, who had little to no reps last season before being thrust into the starter's position. The only teams for us to watch out for are maybe the Ravens and, of course, the AFC Juggernaut New England Patriots.

We sure do have a lot of Texans talk around here... :cheer:

I agree with the guy who said that the overall talent on both teams is closer than most people think. I wouldn't say that the Colts are better or deeper, but it's a lot closer than texan fans think.

I also see Tennessee as being better than expected, especially if they stick with Hasselbeck this season.

The jags can play D, and if MJD is around they'll be able to run the ball.

The south is going to be pretty competitive this year.

We sure do have a lot of Texans talk around here... :cheer:

I agree with the guy who said that the overall talent on both teams is closer than most people think. I wouldn't say that the Colts are better or deeper, but it's a lot closer than texan fans think.

I also see Tennessee as being better than expected, especially if they stick with Hasselbeck this season.

The jags can play D, and if MJD is around they'll be able to run the ball.

The south is going to be pretty competitive this year.

I think Hasselbeck limits them. It's about time we see what Locker can do, you don't draft a guy 8th overall and make him sit for an extended period of time. I'd like to think the Jaguars could compete as well, but their quarterback is going to inhibit them. They need more receivers too. You hit the nail on the head with Tennessee. They are underestimated, and I wouldn't be surprised seeing them get a wild card this year.

I think Hasselbeck limits them. It's about time we see what Locker can do, you don't draft a guy 8th overall and make him sit for an extended period of time. I'd like to think the Jaguars could compete as well, but their quarterback is going to inhibit them. They need more receivers too. You hit the nail on the head with Tennessee. They are underestimated, and I wouldn't be surprised seeing them get a wild card this year.

Your right about Locker needing to play, but it's a high class problem for the Titans to have a guy like Hasselbeck ahead of :Locker. I think Hasselbeck is a better for them as it stands today.

There's a chance that Gabbert has progressed. I doubt it, but lets give the guy a shot. MJD's importance can't be underestimated.

I'm more sure of the other teams in the South than I am about the Colts. I think we'll be better, but then again. It happens on Sundays for a few hours. I dunno.

Your right about Locker needing to play, but it's a high class problem for the Titans to have a guy like Hasselbeck ahead of :Locker. I think Hasselbeck is a better for them as it stands today.

There's a chance that Gabbert has progressed. I doubt it, but lets give the guy a shot. MJD's importance can't be underestimated.

I'm more sure of the other teams in the South than I am about the Colts. I think we'll be better, but then again. It happens on Sundays for a few hours. I dunno.

Hahaha, a very high-class problem. We almost had one like it, if we would have been more successful last season. I hope Gabbert progresses as well, they say he has photographic memory, maybe he'll use that talent for his playbook and against opposing defenses hahaha.

• 2 months later...

Andrew Luck is playing pretty well, but the biggest improvement to this team has been coaching. The defense is playing well enough to give Luck and the offense a chance and that's key. Not to mention a hilariously easy schedule in perhaps the worst division in football.

I mean, how many years did we watch Peyton score at-will, only to then spend 18 of the next 20 game-time minutes on the sideline? Games would end up closer than they really should have been, and sometimes the other team had the last possession.

This team is making very few mistakes right now, which is a sign of good coaching. The Colts are over-achieving a bit, as is Luck, and I suspect a dip in his 2nd season (much like Cam Newton). The 2nd year is always rough once the opposition has a season's worth of film to work with.

All in all it's a very pleasant surprise.

You know, I'm all for Redskins QB RG3 getting props & respect for his playing ability. He will be an NFL STUD in this league for the next decade, but can QB Andrew Luck get a small sliver of that media praise pie too? Of course, there is something to be said for being "under the radar" with minimal TV exposure on a national scale to in comparison to RG3.

I alternate between wanting more press and TV broadcasting exposure and wanting to be on the down low like a snake slithering in the grass waiting to strike my unsuspecting enemy/adversary.

What's that line from Jethro Tull's song "Bugle in the Jungle?" "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass" I love that line BTW. Always be ready to attack & unleash Hades on your arch rival at a moment's notice.

http://youtu.be/Gw0YKg07Zz0