Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have any of you changed your minds?

Raycolts12

After watching Andrew Luck rip the Rams and our defense play relatively better than was expected, are any of you thinking differently about the regular season?

Before today's game I had us at 5 wins, but after seeing how well we played (even if it was against the Rams) I have us winning 9-10 games. I mean c'mon. Our defense seems to be on great pace, and we don't even need to worry about our offense.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been optimistic but it's my natural nature with this team.

However, I think we will have a better feel after the next game, in Pittsburgh.

On the bright side, I don't think the Colts will be the worst team in the league by any means. ;)

I am excited though.

If we get to six wins I'd say we had a great first season. I was thrilled with Luck today as was everyone else but let's also keep in mind it was the Rams. They were also 2-14 last year. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled with today's game as a whole but I am just trying to avoid getting too high over it just as I'll try to avoid getting too low over the negative times that are bound to come this season as well. With that said Luck couldn't have started any better which is great to see! He had a better start to his career than Peyton so take that for what it's worth.

Pre-season game one: Luck 10-16 for 188 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs and W. Manning 8-15 for 113 yards 1 TD 1 INT and 1 Fumble and a L. Anytime you can you did something better than Peyton Manning it's a good thing!

Not personally. I thought 6-10 and I still think it. Still have some holes on tihs team and Luck will face his struggle eventually. I think we'll be pretty competitive though. I doubt we'll get blown out very often.

Luck alone will have enough of an impact at the QB position to put a few more wins up than Painter/Collins/Orlovsky. Unfortunately, even if he IS the second coming of you know who that O-line is so putrid it will basically put him in shackles until it's addressed.

The Colts "seem" better than least season, at least. Then again let's not kid ourselves this was against the RAMS. (And preseason to boot)

I have more confidence in them to win a few more games this season as opposed to LAST season where I thought they'd go either 0-16 or have two wins tops.

It really is a shame that O-line sucks so hard. Again. On top of the o-line I'm sure special teams will continue to lose the field posititon battle in grandoise fashion and make me want to puke. The defense...we'll see.

We're still a very poor team, but better than least season wherin we were a pile of whale bile. We're not the worst in football anymore! Plus, Luck will make games exciting to watch.

i said we would go 9-7 from the beginning. what we saw today vs the rams wasn't a mirage, our defense will be top 15 and offense top 10.now we won't score 38 every time but we will put up at least 25ppg because of the weapons luck have on offense. don't be surprised when we go to soldier field week 1 and beat the bears 24-16. bears o-line is worse then ours and cutler is due to get sacked alot. bears defense is great but it's a cover 2 and as we watched today, eventually luck will figure it out.

I wish people would stop saying the O-line was so bad. You either didn't watch the game or you have no clue what you're talking about. They had 108 yds. rushing today and only gave up 1 sack. Of course there's room for improvement but they were not that bad.

at this point in training camp at pretty much any level, the defenses are way ahead of the offenses. that might be why they looked so good. however if luck can keep the colts defense off the field (like i have thought all along) we can win 10 games and possibly be in the wildcard running.

If we get to six wins I'd say we had a great first season. I was thrilled with Luck today as was everyone else but let's also keep in mind it was the Rams. They were also 2-14 last year. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled with today's game as a whole but I am just trying to avoid getting too high over it just as I'll try to avoid getting too low over the negative times that are bound to come this season as well. With that said Luck couldn't have started any better which is great to see! He had a better start to his career than Peyton so take that for what it's worth.

Pre-season game one: Luck 10-16 for 188 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs and W. Manning 8-15 for 113 yards 1 TD 1 INT and 1 Fumble and a L. Anytime you can you did something better than Peyton Manning it's a good thing!

Remember, Peyton's rookie year was roughly 15 years ago. The NFL game has change dramatically since then. And all the changes favor more and better passing. What Peyton did in his first game does not translate to what Andrew does...

It just doesn't. Different world. For more proof of that all you need to do is look at what Cam Newton did his rookie year.

The world has changed. Luck is great, but comparing him to Peyton isn't fair to either.

Let's not get carried away just yet. It was an awesome first preseason game. I predicted 5 wins and am not backing off that for now. I still need to see him do this a few more times and in the regular season when the bullets are live. I believe Luck to be the real deal but he will experience growing pains soon enough. They all do.

After watching Andrew Luck rip the Rams and our defense play relatively better than was expected, are any of you thinking differently about the regular season?

Before today's game I had us at 5 wins, but after seeing how well we played (even if it was against the Rams) I have us winning 9-10 games. I mean c'mon. Our defense seems to be on great pace, and we don't even need to worry about our offense.

Your thoughts?

It was the Rans....If we play well vs. Pittsburgh...then its time to re-evalute my 5-11 prediction...

I wish people would stop saying the O-line was so bad. You either didn't watch the game or you have no clue what you're talking about. They had 108 yds. rushing today and only gave up 1 sack. Of course there's room for improvement but they were not that bad.

Balzer..I watched it twice...

Seriously...they didnt protect Andrew Luck that well....Luck escaped the rush..and we didnt run well.

Agreed, they can get better but to me, they were not good.

Balzer..I watched it twice...

Seriously...they didnt protect Andrew Luck that well....Luck escaped the rush..and we didnt run well.

Agreed, they can get better but to me, they were not good.

They are not great, but it was the 1st game of the preseason with 3 new guys starting. Only been together a few weeks. Under the circumstances they were pretty darn good and got better as the game went on. To expect a new line to come together in a few weeks is

comical to me.

They are not great, but it was the 1st game of the preseason with 3 new guys starting. Only been together a few weeks. Under the circumstances they were pretty darn good and got better as the game went on. To expect a new line to come together in a few weeks is

comical to me.

I did not expect the line to be good. much less expect them to come together......

They got better as the game went on....I'll give you that much

I would not say pretty darn good but the results were much more than I expected...at this point.

........ if we're praising what went well Sunday..we cant run away from what didnt...

..and if you watch the game again.. .there is plenty to work on the next 3 weeks....on the offernsive line

..and we just beat the weakest team we'll see all year......what were they...last against the run in 2011?

I did not expect the line to be good. much less expect them to come together......

They got better as the game went on....I'll give you that much

I would not say pretty darn good but the results were much more than I expected...at this point.

........ if we're praising what went well Sunday..we cant run away from what didnt...

..and if you watch the game again.. .there is plenty to work on the next 3 weeks....on the offernsive line

..and we just beat the weakest team we'll see all year......what were they...last against the run in 2011?

I think you're missing the point here Mark. The Line played pretty good today unless you just have completely unrealistic expectations. They had 108 yds. rushing today and only gave up 1 sack. Of course there is room for improvement, but under the circumstances they done very well. Nobody will convince me otherwise. Find the right combination of guys and a few more weeks of coming together and this line could be very good. I mean, what would have been good in your mind Mark. Absolutely no QB pressures and 250 yds. rushing??? If thats what will be just good enough for you, I don't think there's a team in the league that can live up to your expectations.

Let's stay realistic...

The Rams have a bad D, and it doesn't help that they didn't start some of their starters. Luck had a great game, but the Colts beat the backups of a deflated team.

Just wait a few more games (preseason and regular) before we start talking about double digit wins.

The Line played pretty good today unless you just have completely unrealistic expectations. They had 108 yds. rushing today and only gave up 1 sack. Of course there is room for improvement, but under the circumstances they done very well.

What happens after the starters leave a pre-season game is largely irrelevant (other than evaluating individuals of course). When Luck was playing he was running for his life on most every play. His mobility is terrific of course, but saying that the lack of sacks reflects the quality of the o-line play makes no more sense now then it did when Peyton was using his quick release and then getting slammed into the turf. "No sacks - woo woo. What time is his surgery again?" During this same period they had a few decent running plays and a few that went completely nowhere - against a team that was arguable worse than the Colts last year. I thought that the oline was largely horrific.

On the same theme, isn't anyone else concerned that the defense couldn't get off the field in the first quarter? Bradford didn't do anything special, but they just kept the chains moving. With the new defensive philosophy (and the lack of quality in the opposition), that can't be what they had in mind. I think that the three points given up was extremely miss-leading. Some individual plays were encouraging on both sides of the ball, and with the upgrade in QB play you'd have to assume that they won't be competing for the number one pick again - but there be a lot of holes here. Lets not get too carried away. Six wins sounds like a really good number to me.

Remember, Peyton's rookie year was roughly 15 years ago. The NFL game has change dramatically since then. And all the changes favor more and better passing. What Peyton did in his first game does not translate to what Andrew does...

It just doesn't. Different world. For more proof of that all you need to do is look at what Cam Newton did his rookie year.

The world has changed. Luck is great, but comparing him to Peyton isn't fair to either.

We aren't comparing Andrew Luck to Otto Gram. Peyton Manning is still playing his era is not that different from Luck. Like I said take it for what it's worth. I still stand by the fact that different passing rules or not anytime you can say you did something better than Peyton Manning it's a good thing. Andrew Luck's passes were also not a result of the changes in the passing rules. The TD pass to Collie and the dart he threw to the guy on the goal line were great throws I don't care who you are. Like it or not but Andrew Luck had a better first pre-season game than Peyton Manning did. That's all that means it doesn't mean per say Luck will have a better career but he's off to a great start.

I still have the 5-7 wins in mind for year 1. Next year is when we will challenge for the division, IMO. Every player drafted this year will be that much more familiar with the playbook, especially the offensive players and the offensive prowess improvement in year 2 is what will allow us to challenge, and possibly win the division next year.

Yeah but early on Luck was doing his best Peyton impression by constantly avoiding rushers. I think the O-line looked better than it has in the past but they were shaky at times in pass protection. Especially the 1st unit. To be fair though the Rams do have a solid front four.

I see. Sorry, thought you meant the Colts, but there have been quite a few saying how bad our line was today though.

I'm inferring that the O-line looked subpar VS a terrible Rams team. Luck was not protected well, but made some nice plays regardless. Most QB's would look terrible with that lack of blocking, so big props to Luck.

Against a legitmate competitive team, they'll get thrown around like rag dolls as usual. The O-line is still bad. Very, very, bad.