Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackout?

MR. Blueblood

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you agree or disagree with fans who do not renew their tickets, let's at least get one thing straight - Peyton Manning didn't leave the Colts. The Colts dumped Peyton Manning. Irsay was the one who decided not to pay the option on Manning's contract which made Manning a free agent.

Thanks but no one was debating that. I think we all agree it was the colts who cut ties with Peyton.

With that said though the colts released him they didn't cut thier fans. They would be more than happy to sell any fan one of the remaining tickets they have left.

They would be more than happy to sell any fan one of the remaining tickets they have left.

Just as they would gladly sell every season ticket holder out if they could get another person in that very seat ... ie its not about us its about the money first. If they black out games IMO it will not help sales it will hurt them.

Just as they would gladly sell every season ticket holder out if they could get another person in that very seat ... ie its not about us its about the money first. If they black out games IMO it will not help sales it will hurt them.

That's why they did such a terrible job with this on a pr front they know they are going to be sold out. Frankly their pr department hasn't had to work very hard in 10 years and it's showing.

Not jealous just tired of reading the same thing over and over again. lmao Oh I know you just learned how to put multiple quotes in. JT

I was just joking. I guess a smiley would have helped to convey that, but I can't find one that looks like me...

How does a "blackout" effect those who use NFL Sunday ticket?

If the team that's blacked out is in your home TV market, then you don't get the game when it's broadcast, even on Sunday Ticket. You do get the replays that are available a day or two after the game is played, though.

It's a two-edged sword. A bit of a gamble. You enforce the blackout restrictions as a method of promoting ticket sales (which is the purpose of the blackout rule in the first place), but if you wind up blacking games out, it hurts ticket sales.

In this case, the Colts are reportedly very close to the blackout threshold, so it's not really that big of a deal, and never was. But it's still not good publicity, and the Colts should have been more proactive from a PR standpoint.

If the team that's blacked out is in your home TV market, then you don't get the game when it's broadcast, even on Sunday Ticket. You do get the replays that are available a day or two after the game is played, though.

So then I wouldn't be affected since I'm in PA?

Whether you agree or disagree with fans who do not renew their tickets, let's at least get one thing straight - Peyton Manning didn't leave the Colts. The Colts dumped Peyton Manning. Irsay was the one who decided not to pay the option on Manning's contract which made Manning a free agent.

You are in denial, that the 'great one' wouldn't do this. You know nothing of this. Nothing. Will we find out in time? Perhaps. But as of now, you are talking nonsense.

That's why they did such a terrible job with this on a pr front they know they are going to be sold out. Frankly their pr department hasn't had to work very hard in 10 years and it's showing.

Wasn't old Bill our PR for the last 10 years? That's how bad it was.....It's not just the team that needs to rebuild....

With blackouts looming and Directv fighting Viacom for my favorite channels, I might just be subscribing to Hulu and buying NFL Sunday Ticket via PS3.

is the sunday tkt via PS3 all games, whole games? would be very interested.. I'm so ready to tell DirecTV where to put their dish.. drop channels every 3 months due to their contract wars, this is the 4th one I've been through and have only been with them since Sep.! ridiculous

is the sunday tkt via PS3 all games, whole games? would be very interested.. I'm so ready to tell DirecTV where to put their dish.. drop channels every 3 months due to their contract wars, this is the 4th one I've been through and have only been with them since Sep.! ridiculous

I've had a pretty good experience with DirecTV up until this week. Sunday ticket via PS3 is just as advertised. All games in full. Pretty awesome, but it's a bit steep at $340 for the season.

Just as they would gladly sell every season ticket holder out if they could get another person in that very seat

That's not true I'm sure there have been times when they could have sold someone's season tickets for more money but did not because they agreed to sell them to that season ticket holder for X amount of dollars.
... ie its not about us its about the money first.
Of course it's about money... it's a for profit business, being about money is a good thing not a bad thing.
If they black out games IMO it will not help sales it will hurt them.

But there is more to the issue than just if it will help sell tickets or hurt.

One) teams that institute the 85% rule get less of the revenue sharing money.

Two) If a team institutes the 85% rule then any ticket sales above the 85% is split 50/50 with the visiting team. I think it was Superman who did that math, that is roughly 380K that has to be sent to the other team x 8 games is over $3 million dollars of lost revenue.

As you stated it's about the money and since Irsay's main source of income is the Colts why would he do something that would cost the team millions of dollars? Especially when 96% of the tickets have already been sold?

In this case, the Colts are reportedly very close to the blackout threshold, so it's not really that big of a deal, and never was. But it's still not good publicity, and the Colts should have been more proactive from a PR standpoint.

I agree with everything you stated, except this. The Colts did not release this information as a press release or a statement, they have to notify the NFL by Sunday of their intentions, and the COO, Pete Ward was asked if the Colts were going to adopt the rule and he answered that no they would not and he explained why and how they could lose millions of dollars.

It's not like Irsay tweeted, "We not not adopt the 85% rule so you so-called fans guy like it or lump it." (Although quite a few fans will act like that is how the Colts announced it). ;)

You are in denial, that the 'great one' wouldn't do this. You know nothing of this. Nothing. Will we find out in time? Perhaps. But as of now, you are talking nonsense.

What's not definite about what he posted? The Colts cut Manning; Manning didn't walk as a free agent.

One) teams that institute the 85% rule get less of the revenue sharing money.

Two) If a team institutes the 85% rule then any ticket sales above the 85% is split 50/50 with the visiting team. I think it was Superman who did that math, that is roughly 380K that has to be sent to the other team x 8 games is over $3 million dollars of lost revenue.

As you stated it's about the money and since Irsay's main source of income is the Colts why would he do something that would cost the team millions of dollars? Especially when 96% of the tickets have already been sold?

It turns out that's the potential impact, from a worst-case standpoint. There's actually a sliding scale that could lessen the dollar hit pretty drastically. For instance, if the Colts chose to make the threshold 96%, they'd only share half of their gate above 96%, which wouldn't be anywhere near as much money.

But the principle still applies: The Colts expect to sell all their tickets, so there's no reason to adopt the more lax guidelines and give away money unnecessarily.

I agree with everything you stated, except this. The Colts did not release this information as a press release or a statement, they have to notify the NFL by Sunday of their intentions, and the COO, Pete Ward was asked if the Colts were going to adopt the rule and he answered that no they would not and he explained why and how they could lose millions of dollars.

It's not like Irsay tweeted, "We not not adopt the 85% rule so you so-called fans guy like it or lump it." (Although quite a few fans will act like that is how the Colts announced it). ;)

They allowed a news outlet to report incomplete information, which led to negative press. It would have been better for them to have released a statement as soon as they determined that they weren't going to adopt the lower guideline, stating how close they were, and that they fully expected to sell out and have no blackouts. Then the Fox59 report would have been toothless.

'The Colts dumped Peyton Manning'. Maybe he was acting like a jerk and got what he deserved.

:scratch:

Let's say he was, for argument's sake. The Colts still released him. He didn't opt out. He didn't ask to be released. He didn't leave as a free agent. I wouldn't use the word "dumped," but the Colts made the decision, not Manning.

:scratch:

Let's say he was, for argument's sake. The Colts still released him. He didn't opt out. He didn't ask to be released. He didn't leave as a free agent. I wouldn't use the word "dumped," but the Colts made the decision, not Manning.

Well it is possible it was mutual, I dont think any of us knows what went on behind closed doors to definitively say if it was mutual or Irsay just released him, it allowed Manning to go play for a contender

'The Colts dumped Peyton Manning'. Maybe he was acting like a jerk and got what he deserved.

Really, you're going to act like you have inside information from across the pond? I have no doubt whatsoever that Manning told Irsay he would prefer to stay with Indy but he did not want to be part of a rebuilding team and said that if that was the direction the Colts were going then he'd just as soon Irsay not fork over the $28 million and let him be a free agent. But anyone who watched that news conference with Irsay and Manning can tell that it was a tough decision for both and that there is a lot of respect and friendship between the two.

Well it is possible it was mutual, I dont think any of us knows what went on behind closed doors to definitively say if it was mutual or Irsay just released him, it allowed Manning to go play for a contender

Is there any indication from Manning that he wanted to be released? All indications were that he wanted to remain a Colt.

Furthermore, to the original point, the Colts released him. He didn't walk as a free agent.

Is there any indication from Manning that he wanted to be released? All indications were that he wanted to remain a Colt.

Furthermore, to the original point, the Colts released him. He didn't walk as a free agent.

No indication but there was no indications he wanted to remain a Colts or else I fully expect he would be and he would have reworked the contract

No indication but there was no indications he wanted to remain a Colts or else I fully expect he would be and he would have reworked the contract

He said he wanted to remain a Colt. His words:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/24/peyton-manning-colts-retire-trade-stay/

I don’t want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it’s well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career. It’s been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It’s been fun to be a part of that. Whatever happens, happens. I can’t give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he’ll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peyton-Manning-wants-to-stay-with-Indianapolis-Colts-says-dad-Archie-Manning-011612

There was little room to rework the contract, due to verbiage in the CBA and the date of the option bonus.

on the surface you are right. but knowing we were bringing in luck, i am not so sure about that

in the final presser, they said it was mutual, so why not just accept it as so since we'll likely never know otherwise

He said he wanted to remain a Colt. His words:

http://tracking.si.c...ire-trade-stay/

I don’t want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it’s well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career. It’s been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It’s been fun to be a part of that. Whatever happens, happens. I can’t give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he’ll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea.

http://msn.foxsports...-Manning-011612

There was little room to rework the contract, due to verbiage in the CBA and the date of the option bonus.

I didnt see that, maybe he did want to be a Colt, but thats not what was said at the press conference like what was said above me also if he really wanted to be a Colt, dont you think he would have said publicly he would have reworked the 28 million? its all a moot point now obviously and I am ready to move on

on the surface you are right. but knowing we were bringing in luck, i am not so sure about that

in the final presser, they said it was mutual, so why not just accept it as so since we'll likely never know otherwise

I'm gonna leave this alone after this. I'm not trying to be difficult, and it probably seems that way. I'm just saying that inferring the release was Manning's fault, his doing, his agenda, is not accurate. He continued to say that he wanted to be a Colt. What happened behind closed doors is not something I'm privy to. To be a fly on the wall, and all that... But I wasn't. So all I have is what was presented publicly, and that was that the Colts released Manning.

I'll also add that I hold no ill will toward the Colts or Irsay. I hate the decision, but I understand and support it.

I didnt see that, maybe he did want to be a Colt, but thats not what was said at the press conference like what was said above me also if he really wanted to be a Colt, dont you think he would have said publicly he would have reworked the 28 million? its all a moot point now obviously and I am ready to move on

Mentioned already, the option bonus was not negotiable once the final regular season game was played.

Wasn't old Bill our PR for the last 10 years? That's how bad it was.....It's not just the team that needs to rebuild....

Oh I am sure like anything over at the Colts complex Polian has his hand in it but as the for the person who was "in charge" it's the same guy. With that said anytime you have one of the greatest players of his generation and you have a team that is in the playoffs every year and contending for the Super Bowl you don't have to focus very hard on PR. The team sells it's self. Now that they Colts are rebuilding from the ground up they are going to have to do a better job trying to sell the team and will honestly have to think about the fans feelings.

That's why this was such a horrible job on the PR front the Colts didn't tell the full story themselves where it's very clear that once you hear the full story the Colts did what just about any reasonable person would have done in their spot. They let the local TV station tell the story and of course they went right for the biggest headline which was Colts to blackout games rather than let them be shown on TV if not sold out and to a fanbase that for the most part that had stood by the team during all this change just went are you freaking kidding me?

Hopefully they learn from this mistake and do a better job on the PR front going forward.

I don't exactly disagree with the team's stance on this, but I do sort wish they'd adopt it in the first year since I got DVR mostly for games lol. (Though I think we're going to avoid blackouts.) And lastly how can I truly get upset over something I only knew existed a couple weeks ago. Lol

I'm gonna leave this alone after this. I'm not trying to be difficult, and it probably seems that way. I'm just saying that inferring the release was Manning's fault, his doing, his agenda, is not accurate. He continued to say that he wanted to be a Colt. What happened behind closed doors is not something I'm privy to. To be a fly on the wall, and all that... But I wasn't. So all I have is what was presented publicly, and that was that the Colts released Manning.

I'll also add that I hold no ill will toward the Colts or Irsay. I hate the decision, but I understand and support it.

no i don't think you are being difficult. it's actually interesting to hear different takes on it (assuming one can be sane & rational :) )

i've never doubted anything peyton has said. when he says he's going to do something, he does it. i fully believe he wanted to retire a colt. but that doesn't mean logic may not have dictated him to act differently. notice he has always said, even years ago, that situations that develop don't always make it a possibility

no i don't think you are being difficult. it's actually interesting to hear different takes on it (assuming one can be sane & rational :) )

i've never doubted anything peyton has said. when he says he's going to do something, he does it. i fully believe he wanted to retire a colt. but that doesn't mean logic may not have dictated him to act differently. notice he has always said, even years ago, that situations that develop don't always make it a possibility

He fulfilled his contract until the contract was terminated by the Colts. I don't see how we can blame him for the fact that he's no longer a Colt, as some try to do. Short of offering his services for far less than market value (which isn't logical), there was nothing he could do to stay in Indy. Irsay decided to part ways; Manning accepted Irsay's decision with class, grace and dignity.

I'll highlight again that I don't have an issue with Irsay for the decision that was made. I get it; I think he did the right thing for the organization, and I'm sure it pained him. As much as us fans wanted Manning to still be here, Irsay actually knows him as a person, a man, a husband, a father, a friend. He's probably known him since he was a kid. Irsay has said that he feels like he and Peyton kind of grew up together, since Peyton came to the Colts early in Irsay's tenure as the head man, and Irsay was a young man when he took over. They shared tears at the press conference. They shared a warm hug as well. It's a testament to Irsay's business sense that he was able to make such a difficult decision without surrendering to emotion. I hate that Manning is no longer a Colt, but I understand it. In this moment, Irsay did the right thing.

Still, this was in no way Manning's fault.