Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Cornerback Market Values Colts can Target

bayone

By Coltzilla ,

ALL PLAYERS ARE DISCUSSED IN DETAIL

++ Josh Wilson – previous contract 4 years, $3.08 million – 2009 cap hit $686k

++ Drayton Florence – previous contract 2 years, $6.6 million – 2009 cap hit $2.9 million

++ Carlos Rogers – previous contract 1 year, $1.54 million – 2009 cap hit $3.2 million

Any defense that runs a base Cover-2 scheme requires a strong secondary to succeed. The Indianapolis Colts strategy has always been to over-power opponents with a dynamic passing game, while the defense stifles the opponent’s passing game by refusing to give up big plays.

When Tony Dungy and Ron Meeks oversaw Indy’s defense the players needed were — in many ways — interchangeable because cover corners were not necessary. A strict zone discipline was instilled and the scheme itself “did the work.” Under defensive coordinator Larry Coyer that is starting to change, and a greater emphasis on man coverage has developed to support a more aggressive defensive style that includes blitz packages.

With players like Jerraud Powers and Justin Tryon already showing real potential, things could be coming together in Indianapolis. Heading into 2011 there are two primary questions. The first is, should the Colts retain Kelvin Hayden at his $9 million salary cap level? The second is how talented is Indy going to be behind these players?

With 2010 third round draft pick Kevin Thomas returning from injury, Jacob Lacey still under contract, Cornelius Brown playing a role for the Colts late in 2010, and Chris Rucker joining the team via the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft, there will be a healthy competition for the backup spots.

The issue is that paying Hayden $9 million to play a nickel back role in the defense is too much &

if Hayden does go, it may be in the team’s best interest to acquire a player more talented who has a smaller price tag.

Josh Wilson is a 26-year old cornerback with the range, coverage, and ball skills to immediately upgrade the Colts secondary. He excelled in the Ravens aggressive defense, is a solid tackler, and has improved each year in the NFL ..........

Drayton Florence has proven throughout his career that he is a top 10 cornerback talent and is capable of playing a big role in his defenses The problem is that Florence is now 30 years old and will soon probably start declining performance wise..........

Carlos Rogers has a nose for the football that makes him a very special coverage cornerback. What frustrates a lot of fans in Washington is that he does not have great hands and will drop “sure interceptions” more than anyone would like. Indianapolis should focus more on how clearly he could upgrade the man-to-man coverage Like Florence, Rogers is starting to get to the age ..........

My link

By Coltzilla ,

ALL PLAYERS ARE DISCUSSED IN DETAIL

++ Josh Wilson – previous contract 4 years, $3.08 million – 2009 cap hit $686k

++ Drayton Florence – previous contract 2 years, $6.6 million – 2009 cap hit $2.9 million

++ Carlos Rogers – previous contract 1 year, $1.54 million – 2009 cap hit $3.2 million

Any defense that runs a base Cover-2 scheme requires a strong secondary to succeed. The Indianapolis Colts strategy has always been to over-power opponents with a dynamic passing game, while the defense stifles the opponent’s passing game by refusing to give up big plays.

When Tony Dungy and Ron Meeks oversaw Indy’s defense the players needed were — in many ways — interchangeable because cover corners were not necessary. A strict zone discipline was instilled and the scheme itself “did the work.” Under defensive coordinator Larry Coyer that is starting to change, and a greater emphasis on man coverage has developed to support a more aggressive defensive style that includes blitz packages.

With players like Jerraud Powers and Justin Tryon already showing real potential, things could be coming together in Indianapolis. Heading into 2011 there are two primary questions. The first is, should the Colts retain Kelvin Hayden at his $9 million salary cap level? The second is how talented is Indy going to be behind these players?

With 2010 third round draft pick Kevin Thomas returning from injury, Jacob Lacey still under contract, Cornelius Brown playing a role for the Colts late in 2010, and Chris Rucker joining the team via the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft, there will be a healthy competition for the backup spots.

The issue is that paying Hayden $9 million to play a nickel back role in the defense is too much &

if Hayden does go, it may be in the team’s best interest to acquire a player more talented who has a smaller price tag.

Josh Wilson is a 26-year old cornerback with the range, coverage, and ball skills to immediately upgrade the Colts secondary. He excelled in the Ravens aggressive defense, is a solid tackler, and has improved each year in the NFL ..........

Drayton Florence has proven throughout his career that he is a top 10 cornerback talent and is capable of playing a big role in his defenses The problem is that Florence is now 30 years old and will soon probably start declining performance wise..........

Carlos Rogers has a nose for the football that makes him a very special coverage cornerback. What frustrates a lot of fans in Washington is that he does not have great hands and will drop “sure interceptions” more than anyone would like. Indianapolis should focus more on how clearly he could upgrade the man-to-man coverage Like Florence, Rogers is starting to get to the age ..........

My link

I would be shocked if the Colts added a corner in free agency.

If anything, Cover 2 is the sort of D that DOESN'T put a strong premium on individually talented CBs

When our CBs are healthy I think we have great starters that don't require upgrading: Powers, Tryon (really pleasant surprise) and Hayden. Plus we don't know what we have in Devin Thomas so who knows

But CB should be among the last of our needs right now IMO if we were to address any needs in FA

If anything, Cover 2 is the sort of D that DOESN'T put a strong premium on individually talented CBs

When our CBs are healthy I think we have great starters that don't require upgrading: Powers, Tryon (really pleasant surprise) and Hayden. Plus we don't know what we have in Devin Thomas so who knows

But CB should be among the last of our needs right now IMO if we were to address any needs in FA

Devin Thomas is a wild Card I have hope for him , he is more man to man abilities, we are slowly moving from Cover to to more man to man and that would be only reason,

I do think safety ios a more pressing need or Mabnene at DT would also help our secondary as can apply pressure up the middle & stop run & is seasoned

I am just going over recommendations as per Coltzilla in a what if scenario

Devin Thomas is a wild Card I have hope for him , he is more man to man abilities, we are slowly moving from Cover to to more man to man and that would be only reason,

I do think safety ios a more pressing need or Mabnene at DT would also help our secondary as can apply pressure up the middle & stop run & is seasoned

I am just going over recommendations as per Coltzilla in a what if scenario

I agree Kevin Thomas is the wild card and a player who I was very excited about when he was drafted. He has decent size and the man to man capabilities of which you spoke and should compete for the nickle spot against Tryon giving Indy 4 solid CB's...should they all stay healthy.

We have decent depth at CB:

Hayden is starter material, he is just overpaid

Powers seems like he can be an awesome corner if he stays healthy

Thomas is coming back and apparently, he is very good, but I can't say

Lacey is a decent nickel

Rucker I've heard would have been a 2nd round pick if it wasn't for the off-field problems

Chip Vaughn, Brandon King, Mike Newton Cornelious Brown and David Caldwell all showed some potential (other than King who was IR'd) at either safety or CB

We might bring someone in for depth (an undrafted rookie), but I can't see us going after a big name corner

Rucker also brings height, along with Thomas, and as stated would have went higher if not for off field troubles. Same with Delonte Carter, btw. While reading Rucker's draft analysis, I will try and find it, it said he played in the box sometimes in college and his strength was against the run...possibly he will be moved to Safety should he make the team?