Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A new gameday "tradition"...Give me your thoughts

TubaGuy

I've actually talked to a person inside the Colts organization and floated this idea to them. I'd rather do it "grassroots" style and get it coming from the fans. Here is my idea...

Many people have talked about how Lucas Oil Stadium isn't quite as threatening or imposing as the RCA Dome was. Well, let's say for the sake of arguement that is true. Then what are WE as Colts fans going to do about it? How are we going to "Make It Personal" and do it in a fun way that could start our own tradition?

For the first number of years, the Colts original fan club was named "The Thundering Herd". Well, I think it is time we ALL become The Thundering Herd! It's very simple...every time we kick off, we start stomping...and I mean STOMPING!!!! And you don't need to be the stands at the game. You can do it at home, in a bar, in your car...anywhere! And for those fans that either can't stand or choose not to, they can lean forward and start smacking their hands on the empty seat in front of them. Here's the basic premise...if we have nearly 60,000 people in LOS all stomping their feet at the same time, as well as yelling, it would be a VERY imposing noise!! We would all literally become The Thundering Herd...no dues or fees, nothing at all...just a willingness to become part of a nationwide stampede!! No other stadium does anything like this at all, so it would become OUR tradition, something totally unique to Colts Nation!

Anyway, that's my idea. Okay, hit me with your best shot! Whaddaya think??

That's what a whole "grassroots" thing is about. I thought I'd bounce it here first, get the general feeling, then get aggressive with it. I'm gonna let some of the local tv and radio outlets know about it as we get a bit closer to the season and see if we can get a "ground swell" going...

This reminds me of college football where the fans will yell until th kicker kicks the ball off. It sounds pretty awesome, but that is a college atmosphere. I do not know if we will have the same atmosphere in LOS.

You mean like Kansas City?? It obviously can be done. Will it happen immediately? No, of course not. But it's gotta start somewhere, sometime. I say now. We can ALL be members of The Thundering Herd!! Not just at the game but wherever we are.

Sounds great to me also. Anything that brings more noise to LOS is a good thing. :banana:

The only drawback I can see is that it would lead to even more standing which is only a problem for someone who can't stand or someone as short as me.

I have only had the luxury of attending one Colt's game. The people in front of me stood almost the entire game and, I swear, I think they were all 7 feet tall. :drama:

This meant that I also had to stand in order to see and I am just this itty, bitty little thing. Which also meant that I had to stand on my tippy toes for almost the entire game. Took about a week for my calves to recover.

But, what the heck, people are still going to stand and for people like me that would be a small price to pay to pump up the volume in LOS. I say, "Go for it, TubaGuy". :thmup:

LOVE IT! Fans often underestimate the impact of the "12th Man". teams can feed on that energy. Get it going and perhaps the stadium cams will show a thundering herd of horses on the big screens!

Go COLTS! :bhs:

Exactly! A couple of seasons ago they used to show stampeding horses. If we can get this thing going, that would be the "signal" for the crowd to start stomping...kind of a "Bat signal" call to the Thundering Herd! Hopefully the crowd would start before they even show it, but if we had the entire crowd stomping, yelling and the stampede on the Jumbotron, it would really feed on itself and could become something awesome!!

I love it. I enjoy watching professional football over college football. I will say, however, that college football outdoes the NFL in one VERY noticable area...the atmosphere. There's nothing better than seeing a loud stadium where every fan is participating and trying to disrupt the opposing team. Arrowhead and Three River's Stadium always jump out at me. I remember when the Colts were playing the Patrtiots a few years back at the RCA dome and there was that controversy that people thought we were pumping in artificial crowd noise. Our stadium was one of the loudest in the league, mostly because it was one of the smallest and the dome help in so much of the sound. Now we have an enormous stadium with a lot more area for the sound to disipate to. I would love to do something like this to get everyone in the stadium participating. Lets make every other team hate to play in Indy because of our 12th man factor!

Don't mean to be downer on this but it is just personally not my cup of tea. As a 10 year season ticket holder and one who frequently travels to road games, I think there would be more luck with something along the lines of the Go Pack Go chant that follows that goofy music they play in Green Bay. Or like in KC when they all yell Chiefs instead of Brave at the end of the national anthem.

I'm with Skinnz. although it sounds a great idea Tuba! Go for it.

At my football, sorry soccer club, we crank up the atmosphere a few minutes before kick-off by blasting out Simply the Best. 50000 fans singing this at the top of their voices make the hairs on the back your neck stick out. Awesome.

I hear what you guys are saying, but stuff like that has kinda been tried before. And again, I think we need to do something that is specifically "us". The crowd DID catch on last season with the "First Down" yell...I hope we keep that up! But I would like to see us develop something that is specifically "Indy". And a song can run its course in a year or two...I would hope something like the Thundering Herd Stomp would become something more of a tradition. Just my thinking...

Fair enough Tuba. All you can do is give it a go! And I really hope to witness it in person, as I'm almost certainly flying over for a game this season. I assume I'll be able to get 2 tix at fairly short notice (say a month?). JSkinnz, still willing to show me the ropes before and / or after the game????

I hear what you guys are saying, but stuff like that has kinda been tried before. And again, I think we need to do something that is specifically "us". The crowd DID catch on last season with the "First Down" yell...I hope we keep that up! But I would like to see us develop something that is specifically "Indy". And a song can run its course in a year or two...I would hope something like the Thundering Herd Stomp would become something more of a tradition. Just my thinking...

Oh Tuba....you guys are too 'milquetoast' to have something catch on that is specifically Indy ;)

That's been part of the problem with new stadium and arena designs. They may be more comfortable, have more restrooms and concessions, etc, but they don't hold a candle to the "old time" stadiums in terms of noise.

Gillette has never been as loud as the old Foxboro Stadium was... probably because the old place had aluminum benches.

And until this year, the TD Garden was never as loud as the old Boston Garden... I was there for a Bruins playoff game this season though, and the building was literally shaking.

Fair enough Tuba. All you can do is give it a go! And I really hope to witness it in person, as I'm almost certainly flying over for a game this season. I assume I'll be able to get 2 tix at fairly short notice (say a month?). JSkinnz, still willing to show me the ropes before and / or after the game????

Sure. You got a trip to Indy scheduled?

Almost! I've got the cash, and the plan. A good mate and ex-colleague in London has returned home to the States, and is living and working in St Louis. So the plan is to stay at his for a few days, drive to Indy Sunday morning, catch the game, stay over, and drive back to St Louis Monday. Then fly home. Just need to pick the game. So once the Lockout is sorted, I just need 2 tickets! I fancy the Steelers game if possible!

I'll keep you posted!