Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh Boy, Now New England Will Probably Trade Away A Qb

ReMeDy

New England's backup QB's feasted on Jacksonville:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081152/2011/PRE1/jaguars@patriots?module=HP11_cp#tab:analyze

They're probably going to groom Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett into the next Matt Cassel, then trade either away to some gullible team for a 2nd-3rd round pick (plus, everything Belichick touches turns to gold). Their first game against Jacksonville will offer attractive footage to gullible teams as they overlook the fact the Jaguars can't pass defend to save their lives. When the Pats play a real preseason defense (Giants week4?), Tom Brady will step in to save face. They even play the Lions week 3, so unless the Suh + Fairley combo works out (if they're on the field), then that will be another stat-padding game.

http://www.patriots.com/games-and-stats/schedule.html (their schedule)

The Eagles did this to perfection with Kevin Kolb. Kolb didn't have a strong body of work, but his presence with a skilled coaching staff and tidbits of solid (but limited) game footage made him attractive. All it took was a gullible and desperate team, and now New England is following suit.

I don't understand why the Colts don't do similar QB-stat backup padding. Yes, they play their backups, but they're commonly dropped after preseason and the Colts don't take the preseason seriously to begin with. We typically go 0-4 in the preseason. They need to start getting serious at the backup QB position and the preseason so they can compile a strong portfolio for their backup QB's and use them as trade bait. Instead, we do the exact opposite!... We inserted Curtis Painter into the Jets game (ie. the 1st overall defense) and had him embarrassed, consequently plummeting Curtis Painter's trade value! The Colts sent a message to the league that Curtis Painter is awful and he is now the poster boy for awful backup QB's!

When Peyton retires, we may be the suckers who trade to get Mallett or Hoyer...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081152/2011/PRE1/jaguars@patriots?module=HP11_cp#tab:analyze

They're probably going to groom Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett into the next Matt Cassel, then trade either away to some gullible team for a 2nd-3rd round pick (plus, everything Belichick touches turns to gold). Their first game against Jacksonville will offer attractive footage to gullible teams as they overlook the fact the Jaguars can't pass defend to save their lives. When the Pats play a real preseason defense (Giants week4?), Tom Brady will step in to save face. They even play the Lions week 3, so unless the Suh + Fairley combo works out (if they're on the field), then that will be another stat-padding game.

The Eagles did this to perfection with Kevin Kolb. Kolb didn't have a strong body of work, but his presence with a skilled coaching staff and tidbits of solid (but limited) game footage made him attractive. All it took was a gullible and desperate team, and now New England is following suit.

I don't understand why the Colts don't do similar QB-stat backup padding. Yes, they play their backups, but they're commonly dropped after preseason and the Colts don't take the preseason seriously to begin with. We typically go 0-4 in the preseason. They need to start getting serious at the backup QB position and the preseason so they can compile a strong portfolio for their backup QB's and use them as trade bait. Instead, we do the exact opposite!... We inserted Curtis Painter into the Jets game (ie. the 1st overall defense) and had him embarrassed, consequently plummeting Curtis Painter's trade value! The Colts sent a message to the league that Curtis Painter is awful and he is now the poster boy for awful backup QB's!

Jason LaConfora is a yap!! He seems to have a mod edit for the Colts and Peyton. Although i think he has somewhat of a point. This guy didnt even have Peyton in his top ten. I just get tired of his Colts bashing.

heading into the draft people were pretty high on mallet so its no shock he did well

Mallet was supposed to be the best QB out there, it was his off field issues that kept him from a high draft pick

Not saying I agree or disagree as more to it , But NFL network announcers said as each Pat QB had their way with Jags even Rookie Mallet, it really is just a system, Cassell was also a product of it,

Sure system has something to do with it as well as a well rounded team

Brady is OBVIOUSLY better than just a system QB but thought was an interesting notation by the media on NFL network as they flipped from 1 game to another

I only watched a little so something else may have been said before or after

Mallet was supposed to be the best QB out there, it was his off field issues that kept him from a high draft pick

Not saying I agree or disagree as more to it , But announcers said as each Pat QB had their way with Jags even Rookie Mallet, it really is just a system, Cassell was also a product of it,

Brady is OBVIOUSLY better than just a system QB but thought was an interesting notation by the media on NFL network as they flipped from 1 game to another

Hoyer --- Looked very good, was accurate and making good decisions.

Mallett -- Looked very good for a rookie.

The Big thing I noticed was how well Price, 2nd yr WR, played this game he even got Brady's attention when he broke a tackle for a long gain. He also showed great hands! (that TD in the back of the endzone was awesome.)

As for the "making them look better than they are" to say they made Cassell looked better just to trade him is silly, he led the team to an 11-5 record and played welll. I also say he has played well for KC, is he a SUPERSTAR no! Is he better than say half the other starters in the NFL YES..

Let's see what Painter does on saturday, this is the first time he has worked with the first team offense this long. If he cant perform with all this time and practice then his NFL career is doomed. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I expect him to be much improved, not great but much improved.

Not saying I agree or disagree as more to it , But announcers said as each Pat QB had their way with Jags even Rookie Mallet, it really is just a system, Cassell was also a product of it,

I love how you and others seem to miss the most obvious and probably accurate possibility:

The Patriots PICKED THE RIGHT QBS.

Geez. You and others think "Oh, it can't be that the Patriots actually DRAFTED QBs that other teams missed. Nope, can't be that. Must be because of the system (which DOESN'T factor in the idea that the QB still has to make the frickin' throws).

Lame.

*Edit: Oh, and if Cassel's just a product of the system, why did he have such a strong year in his FIRST year in KC?

The system argument is the DUMBEST one that many haters cling to.

I love how you and others seem to miss the most obvious and probably accurate possibility:

Geez. You and others think "Oh, it can't be that the Patriots actually DRAFTED QBs that other teams missed. Nope, can't be that. Must be because of the system (which DOESN'T factor in the idea that the QB still has to make the frickin' throws).

Lame.

*Edit: Oh, and if Cassel's just a product of the system, why did he have such a strong year in his FIRST year in KC?

LET ME CLARIFY AS MY MEANING CAME ACROSS WRONG due to my poor posting of explanation

I said Sure system has something to do with it as well as a well rounded team,

With That I should have included or specified a well rounded team, means depth at positions that have quality and that includes the QB's picked, I guess i was hooping that was understood

I did note that Mallet was supposed to be the best QB out there, it was his off field issues that kept him from a high draft pick

Hope that clarifies my position

The system statement as noted came from ( NFL network ) announcers ( NOT ME ) said as each Pat QB had their way with Jags even Rookie Mallet, it really is just a system, Cassell was also a product of it,

& that I only watched a little so something else may have been said before or after

----------------------------------------

& BTW IN THE Direct Colts Section I did include as a last line in a blog on same the same thing but also

Hoyer is good, Pats pick good backups I forgot here which would have ended it right then & there & it was in blog right after

Mallet was supposed to be the best QB out there in draft , it was his off field issues that kept him from a high draft pick

& here is blog link if u want to see

My link

Well for one you don't draft QBs to train and trade.

You draft them for backups.

You want 2 backups or 1 if roster spot is a problem.

They are supposed to be good to continue if the 1 or 2 QB go down. Not just a body to put in.

When Brady went down the team was able to keep competitive because they had a backup QB.

Hmmm...here's to the Dolphins trading for Mallett :dolphins: :drink: He did look awfully good today though, I'll give him that.

I think Ryan Mallett will be a great NFL quarterback. The only reason he fell so far in the draft is his off the field problems.

Well being that the Pats are the villains in the NFL, who cares about off-field issues!?! Mallett? check. Haynesworth? Check. Ochocinco? Check. Head coach Belichick? Check. Bring 'em all in!

Villains?? Just smart business....

Mallett --- a steal in the 3rd round.

Haynesworth -- WAS A dominant D linemen 2 yrs ago.. the Pats risked a 5th round pick NEXT year for him.. a FIFTH ROUNDER hardly a big risk

Ocho -- a showboat but hardly off the field prbl, also gave up low round draft picks for him.

BB -- Arguably one of the best coaches ever, and def the best active HC in the nfl.

Ya def seems the Pats got 3 guys with HIGH end potential for very minimal cost. As for BB, I think almost every team in the NFL love have him as their coach.

Villains?? Just smart business....

Mallett --- a steal in the 3rd round.

Haynesworth -- WAS A dominant D linemen 2 yrs ago.. the Pats risked a 5th round pick NEXT year for him.. a FIFTH ROUNDER hardly a big risk

Ocho -- a showboat but hardly off the field prbl, also gave up low round draft picks for him.

BB -- Arguably one of the best coaches ever, and def the best active HC in the nfl.

Ya def seems the Pats got 3 guys with HIGH end potential for very minimal cost. As for BB, I think almost every team in the NFL love have him as their coach.

agree

Cassel and Hoyer have both stated in the past that practicing alongside Brady (like him or hate him, at this point very few people are not on-board with the notion that he's an all-timer) has helped their games tremendously. Belichick, in his book, talks about how he'd talk to Brady when he was a rookie (after preseason games) and would ask why he made a particular throw or called a certain audible. He was always blown away by Brady's ability to recall exactly what he saw from several previous plays... "this guy dropped down" or "it looked like a safety blitz" or whatever.

I was really impressed with both Mallett and Hoyer last night. Hoyer's just a smart player, and Mallett... dang, that kid can throw a football. Let's hope he's not one of those, "million dollar arm, ten cent head" type of guys.

As far as trading them goes, I don't know. Brady just signed a five-year deal, so he's not going anywhere soon. And I don't think you can keep them both for that long.

Lame.

he had a strong first year in kc??? if i remember right he stunk....

he had a strong first year in kc??? if i remember right he stunk....

262/450, 58.2 Comp%, 3116 yds, 27 TD, 7 INT, 93.0 Rating

I however don't think Cassel was as good as advertised. IMO he again got the beneficiary of playing a rather weak schedule (AFC South and NFC West).

His numbers are hyperinflated by having great games against the likes of teams such as the:

49ers, Texans, Jaguars, Bills, Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks, Broncos, Titans

His ratings for those games, respectively:

111.7, 122.9, 144.0, 84.1, 116.0, 115.5, 129.3, 84.9, 128.8

Now, when you stick in teams with actual defenses, um, yeah...not pretty...

Chargers, Browns, Colts, Raiders, Ravens (playoff game)

68.0, 46.1, 70.5, 19.1, 20.4

I didn't get to watch a whole lot of Chiefs games last year. The only two Chiefs games I remember watching were the Chiefs @ Colts and Ravens @ Chiefs Wild Card game. I don't remember Cassel having exactly a dazzling performance against the Colts, and he was just outright awful against the Ravens in the Wild Card game. His only good game against a decent defense last year came against the other Raiders game, posting an 82.6 rating, losing in OT in the process. Other than that, yeah.

It was the same in New England, where he was handed a team very similar to the top scoring offense of all time while going up against a high school-calibur schedule.

262/450, 58.2 Comp%, 3116 yds, 27 TD, 7 INT, 93.0 Rating

I however don't think Cassel was as good as advertised. IMO he again got the beneficiary of playing a rather weak schedule (AFC South and NFC West).

His numbers are hyperinflated by having great games against the likes of teams such as the:

49ers, Texans, Jaguars, Bills, Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks, Broncos, Titans

His ratings for those games, respectively:

111.7, 122.9, 144.0, 84.1, 116.0, 115.5, 129.3, 84.9, 128.8

Now, when you stick in teams with actual defenses, um, yeah...not pretty...

Chargers, Browns, Colts, Raiders, Ravens (playoff game)

68.0, 46.1, 70.5, 19.1, 20.4

I didn't get to watch a whole lot of Chiefs games last year. The only two Chiefs games I remember watching were the Chiefs @ Colts and Ravens @ Chiefs Wild Card game. I don't remember Cassel having exactly a dazzling performance against the Colts, and he was just outright awful against the Ravens in the Wild Card game. His only good game against a decent defense last year came against the other Raiders game, posting an 82.6 rating, losing in OT in the process. Other than that, yeah.

It was the same in New England, where he was handed a team very similar to the top scoring offense of all time while going up against a high school-calibur schedule.

that was his second year with kc, not the first. but i agree, i don't think he is as good as his stats would suggest.

Who is this guy? Are u the same dude Jason La Canfora, NFL Network Insider. Your picture is his face. Or do u just like his pic. example http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Veteran-QB-Market-Could-be-Competitive/acbcedce-f9d2-4369-b97c-2255ff161298

if so ur an enemy from the Titans lol.

Who is this guy? Are u the same dude Jason La Canfora, NFL Network Insider. Your picture is his face. Or do u just like his pic. example http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Veteran-QB-Market-Could-be-Competitive/acbcedce-f9d2-4369-b97c-2255ff161298

if so ur an enemy from the Titans lol.

Nah, I just wanted a pic to get under people's skins :). Plus, they'd fire me if they caught me preaching about the Colts (that's a big no-no at NFL.com, apparently).