Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Now Sign Steve Smith - How Do The Eagles Keep Signing Guys?

ReMeDy

hmmmmm I wonder if this is a security blanket with the Jackson holdout? Sure Jackson is quicker and flashier, but Smith plays roughly the same role (minus the return game). Maybe I'm just looking into this too much, but I'm wondering how long Jackson will holdout. I didn't think the Eagles could afford to restructure his contract with all of the splashes the organization made in the off-season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Eagles-sign-former-Giants-free-agent-WR-Steve-Sm?urn=nfl-wp4921

It might be a tiny cap hit, but it's still a cap hit. You'd think after the Nnamdi acquisition that they'd be done. I can't wait until Peyton Manning retires so we can sign all of the Eagles players away from them (sarcasm?).

as a Giants fan, I'm LIVID!!!!

Anyone but the Eagles. Anyone but the Eagles. Man, this hurts a lot.

I loved Steve, but they overpaid for him just to stick it to us. $4 million for 1 year and there's doubt as to whether he can play until week 6.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Eagles-sign-former-Giants-free-agent-WR-Steve-Sm?urn=nfl-wp4921

It might be a tiny cap hit, but it's still a cap hit. You'd think after the Nnamdi acquisition that they'd be done. I can't wait until Peyton Manning retires so we can sign all of the Eagles players away from them (sarcasm?).

well if you really think about their not really signing all these people to big contracts expect for NA. vick,jackson,maclin, and mccoy are all being paid peanuts right now.

aside from nnamdi awesomeguy, the contracts look to be either low money by comparison, or 1 year deals

aside from the nnamdi contract i'd classify nearly all of their signings as low risk/high reward.

they obviously had the cap room to do it, and keep in mind vick is f tagged, so they still need to longterm him AND extend desean jackson

aside from nnamdi awesomeguy, the contracts look to be either low money by comparison, or 1 year deals

aside from the nnamdi contract i'd classify nearly all of their signings as low risk/high reward.

they obviously had the cap room to do it, and keep in mind vick is f tagged, so they still need to longterm him AND extend desean jackson

yeah i was wondering how in the world they have this much cap room with the franchise tag on vick. doesnt that mean he should be getting around 20 million unless they can get a longterm deal?

hmmmmm I wonder if this is a security blanket with the Jackson holdout? Sure Jackson is quicker and flashier, but Smith plays roughly the same role (minus the return game). Maybe I'm just looking into this too much, but I'm wondering how long Jackson will holdout. I didn't think the Eagles could afford to restructure his contract with all of the splashes the organization made in the off-season.

Jackson isn't holding out anymore. He came to camp on Monday.

yeah i was wondering how in the world they have this much cap room with the franchise tag on vick. doesnt that mean he should be getting around 20 million unless they can get a longterm deal?

Vick's tag is worth about $16 Million right now. I originally thought we had about $20-$23 Million in cap space but it may have been more. Peter King had an article on Monday I think that said we still had over $7 Million in cap space left.

You think the Eagles would have learned from the Redskins. You can't buy a championship. Plus whats the odds of Vick not making it the entire season? They have no reliable backup now.

I wouldn't be so quick to compare to redskins. The caliber of players that eagles signed this off-season are ten fold to the caliber of the redskin signings. They have both signed "big names" only difference is the Eagles didn't sign washed up players.

As of 8/4/2011 the Eagles had Eagles: $4,604,520 in Cap room.

I think it's safe to say they have nothing left.

I wouldn't be so quick to compare to redskins. The caliber of players that eagles signed this off-season are ten fold to the caliber of the redskin signings. They have both signed "big names" only difference is the Eagles didn't sign washed up players.

What usually happens when you get too many big name players or high caliber, as you put it, on one team?

Not only that, but the Eagles didn't sign players to ridiculous contracts. Other than Nnamdi, none of the other signings are guaranteed a cent beyond this season. The Redskins make players like Adam Archuletta the highest paid safety in football. They sign Haynesworth to a $100 Million deal and try and trade him only a year later. They also mortgage the future with trading away draft picks. The Eagles as of now have 10 picks in next year's draft.

It might be more as an insurance policy in case Macklin continues to suffer from that mysterious illness affecting him - plus signing Smith hurts the Giants more than it helps the Eagles

All my Giants buddies are FURIOUS right now and wishing him all sorts of ill-will ...you guys should see the Giants message boards

Honestly, I have to admit, as classy a player as Smith is and as much as the Giants front office didn't do right by him, if I were a Giants fan I'd be MAD!!!!!

They have no reliable backup now.

Actually, I think Mike Kafka could be very solid for them. When I saw them take Kafka in the draft, what, two seasons ago, I face palmed myself - they already had Vick and Kolb at the time WITH Donovan, so to take Kafka just hurt me deep inside.

How hilarious would it be if they turned Kafka into a starting QB like they did Kolb, then trade Kafka away in a similar fashion. It's not out of the question.

Actually, I think Mike Kafka could be very solid for them. When I saw them take Kafka in the draft, what, two seasons ago, I face palmed myself - they already had Vick and Kolb at the time WITH Donovan, so to take Kafka just hurt me deep inside.

How hilarious would it be if they turned Kafka into a starting QB like they did Kolb, then trade Kafka away in a similar fashion. It's not out of the question.

What's hilarious is the disrespect for Vince Young here lol - love it