Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the receiving corps?

NYColt

Honestly, I'm a little worried - yes we have far more glaring needs on the team other than WR, but looking at the WR position in isolation, how do you feel about what we have on the roster?

Can someone confirm whether or not Reggie was playing through injury last year at some point onward or if he was fine? Because last year, he was a shadow of himself at times despite recording a career high in catches - he was rarely able to get open deep down the sideline against single coverage and his Y/R was a career low. I think he would experience a second-half career renaissance if he was a #2 posession-type receiver who could feast off #2 CBs if we had a legit #1 who could stretch the field

Was Garcon playing through injury last season too? I think last season was a bit of a disappointment compared to the high hopes we had for him based on his strong showing in 2009. The same issues we got infuriated with him about in 2009 were still abundant in 2010 (hands, concentration, route running) ..I'm not sure the ceiling for him is that high in terms of his potential and I don't think we'll really see him blossom into a player of the calibre of Reggie (unless he spends the entire off-season with a Jugs machine)

...he kinda reminds me of Chris Chambers ..he can excel in what he's good at but if you try to grow him into a more complete receiver and expect him to run a full range of routes, I think you'll start seeing his limitations (hope I'm wrong!). I would rather a more efficient receiver like Gonzalez in the line-up over him except he hasn't proved he can stay healthy an entire season. I still don't trust Garcon to consistently take the top off the opposing Ds.

Collie, I feel, is the brightest spot on the receiving corps and is the guy that gets all of us the most excited. Our offense is night and day without him (remember the Titans game where our first and second half offenses were completely different) and I think he is a key to us being dominant again because he completely opens up the middle of the field

Blair White is an excellent backup / bench player and that's where he ideally belongs. I guess our WRs are okay, but unless Wayne was simply playing hurt last year, I'm skeptical as to whether we have players who can consistently bring "the big play" back to our offense, especially with our garbage running game. I think next season we'll need to consider acquiring a new #1 WR

we are dope if no one gets injured. I was honestly amazed that we won the division last year. a testament to the guy under center.

Yeah me too but I think we can also thank luck (actually that's debatable because if luck was on our side we wouldn't have been killed by injuries) for the Titans, Jags and Texans all imploding. I actually thought the Texans were going to win it all last year because for the first part of the season they were showing signs of not being the same ole' Texans, winning close games, coming back several times ...but that all gave way to ...the same ole' Texans.

The reason Wayne registered the most catches last year was for a few reasons. First,our O line was in shambles, so we resorted to quick bubble screens and slants to compensate for our lack of a running game. Secondly, He was unable to stretch the field because the teams we primarily face focus more on Clark than they do Reggie. With Clark being injured last season, Wayne was the top priority for the defense to shut down. Then with Collie missing some games as well that was further magnified. It was also kind of like a jump shooter in basketball. If that jump shooter is struggling that day, they will try to get some easy shots or even free throws to help build the confidence. I think that was the thinking for the offense last year as we tried to dump the ball to Wayne for short yardage hoping to build up in confidence for the later minutes in the game.

To answer your question, I think we will have the most dominant receiving corps in the league next year. Three receivers will be under contract and they all will need to perform in order to get paid (especially Gonzo). The real question on offense is will we be able to control the LOS and maintain a consistent enough running game to keep the line backers honest and set up play action. I'm not worried about the receiving crew one bit.

The reason Wayne registered the most catches last year was for a few reasons. First,our O line was in shambles, so we resorted to quick bubble screens and slants to compensate for our lack of a running game. Secondly, He was unable to stretch the field because the teams we primarily face focus more on Clark than they do Reggie. With Clark being injured last season, Wayne was the top priority for the defense to shut down. Then with Collie missing some games as well that was further magnified. It was also kind of like a jump shooter in basketball. If that jump shooter is struggling that day, they will try to get some easy shots or even free throws to help build the confidence. I think that was the thinking for the offense last year as we tried to dump the ball to Wayne for short yardage hoping to build up in confidence for the later minutes in the game.

To answer your question, I think we will have the most dominant receiving corps in the league next year. Three receivers will be under contract and they all will need to perform in order to get paid (especially Gonzo). The real question on offense is will we be able to control the LOS and maintain a consistent enough running game to keep the line backers honest and set up play action. I'm not worried about the receiving crew one bit.

I agree as I believe the WR crew will be the best not only because there is plenty of talent and depth there.

Our receiving corps includes:

Wayne - Clearly our number one guy. He has wicked chemistry with Peyton and while he isn't a speedy guy, he knows how to get open. There is no reason to think he isn't going to be a top 5 WR next season.

Garcon - Has the potential to be a top 10 receiver, but he isn't consistent enough. He is fast, strong and tough, but he will drop some of the easiest passes. Then on the same drive, he will make a ridiculous one handed catch (like this beauty). If he improves his consistency and spends more time with Peyton getting their timing and everything down, he has wicked potential.

Gonzo - Tons of potential, but too injury prone. This is a make or break year for him and he knows it. Keep him for this year and see how he does. If I remember correctly, he is still on his rookie contract, so his cap hit is something like $500 000.

Collie - Awesome player. Just needs to heal up from the concussions and Peyton needs to do his best to not put him in position to take those hits anymore.

White - Seems like he does well on punt return. He clearly isn't a top 15 receiver in the NFL, but he was fairly consistent and did his job well when asked.

Clark - Great TE, second best in the NFL. I'll expect him to have a great season next year

Tamme - Did well when called upon. I'm excited to see what Peyton does with him and Clark both available

RBs - They are all pretty solid pass catchers. No worries here in terms of their receiving.

Nothing to worry about here. Keep in mind Polian could also sign some undrafted rookies once the CBA is sorted out

In my honest opinion or receiving corps will be impossible ot fully cover/shut down next year, one receivers ability wil augment the other,, whether it be causing the defense ot open up for him or vise versa we will be fine. And on Clark honestly I only feel his numbers are below gonzales"s numbers is simply because we have so many hands ot throw to that Clark doesnt get them all.

In my honest opinion or receiving corps will be impossible ot fully cover/shut down next year, one receivers ability wil augment the other,, whether it be causing the defense ot open up for him or vise versa we will be fine. And on Clark honestly I only feel his numbers are below gonzales"s numbers is simply because we have so many hands ot throw to that Clark doesnt get them all.

At first, I thought you meant Anthony Gonzalez the WR, not Tony Gonzalez the TE. Made me go :confused: :thinking:

alot of people fail to realize Blair White was a rookie. And played well to be thrown into the fire. He will only get better playing with Peyton and the boys. I think our biggest problem is still DEFENSE

Very true! Blair was an undrafted rookie whom excelled last year! It's either a testament to PM or alot of NFL Brass missed out on this kid!

I think we can upgrade our receiving corps if we want to add a big play guy (one of the top five or seven receivers in the game), but I don't think it's a priority.

Wayne is a proven commodity. He's good for 90-100 catches a year, he never misses games, and his hands are rock solid. No complaints.

Austin Collie has Reggie Wayne level stuff, I think. He was on pace for 100+ catches, 14+ touchdowns, 1500+ yards. And that's while he's battling through injuries. And it's before Clark got hurt, so it's not just because he was filling a role. He opened the season with 11 catches for 163 yard and a touchdown, and was our best receiver through the first six weeks of the season. He should be on the field in our two receiver sets.

Garcon should be our #3. I like him, but he's inconsistent, and Collie is better. He's a deep threat, but just isn't consistent enough with his assignments and his hands. It seems like Manning is off the mark on passes to him more often than to any other receiver. Iron out those wrinkles and I have no issues, but he's still a limited route runner, and Collie is still better. Love his speed and physicality, but I think he should be behind Collie on the depth chart.

Blair White is what he is. Solid, good hands, runs good routes, isn't a burner but isn't a slow poke either, and works his butt off. Limited tools, made a few mistakes as a rookie (like the Tennessee game), but no real complaints here either. Still, he's a bench player/special teamer. Did a good job shagging punts, but no return threat. Again, he is what he is.

I almost forgot about Gonzo. I like his tools, like his speed, has good hands, knows the playbook ... he just can't stay healthy these past two seasons. Sucks that he got sat down last season, but we're still talking about three separate injuries. Give him a chance to grab his spot back, but he's still at best our #3, probably our #4, and in an offense where we don't sub very often, that means he's a bencher.

Anyways, overall, I'm fine with our corps, as long as we're healthy. It has great potential. And I haven't even mentioned Addai, Clark and Tamme.

I think we can upgrade our receiving corps if we want to add a big play guy (one of the top five or seven receivers in the game), but I don't think it's a priority.

Wayne is a proven commodity. He's good for 90-100 catches a year, he never misses games, and his hands are rock solid. No complaints.

Austin Collie has Reggie Wayne level stuff, I think. He was on pace for 100+ catches, 14+ touchdowns, 1500+ yards. And that's while he's battling through injuries. And it's before Clark got hurt, so it's not just because he was filling a role. He opened the season with 11 catches for 163 yard and a touchdown, and was our best receiver through the first six weeks of the season. He should be on the field in our two receiver sets.

Garcon should be our #3. I like him, but he's inconsistent, and Collie is better. He's a deep threat, but just isn't consistent enough with his assignments and his hands. It seems like Manning is off the mark on passes to him more often than to any other receiver. Iron out those wrinkles and I have no issues, but he's still a limited route runner, and Collie is still better. Love his speed and physicality, but I think he should be behind Collie on the depth chart.

Blair White is what he is. Solid, good hands, runs good routes, isn't a burner but isn't a slow poke either, and works his butt off. Limited tools, made a few mistakes as a rookie (like the Tennessee game), but no real complaints here either. Still, he's a bench player/special teamer. Did a good job shagging punts, but no return threat. Again, he is what he is.

I almost forgot about Gonzo. I like his tools, like his speed, has good hands, knows the playbook ... he just can't stay healthy these past two seasons. Sucks that he got sat down last season, but we're still talking about three separate injuries. Give him a chance to grab his spot back, but he's still at best our #3, probably our #4, and in an offense where we don't sub very often, that means he's a bencher.

Anyways, overall, I'm fine with our corps, as long as we're healthy. It has great potential. And I haven't even mentioned Addai, Clark and Tamme.

well said

Some pretty cool summaries guys. Good stuff. I do worry about Wayne. He started the season with his pathetic hold-out thingy, and was a complete non-factor in the Play-off game. Revis or no Revis, he needs to do better. Or perhaps our playbook is just too predictable.

This could be his last year. Time for Gonzo to stay fit and make a claim.

Some pretty cool summaries guys. Good stuff. I do worry about Wayne. He started the season with his pathetic hold-out thingy, and was a complete non-factor in the Play-off game. Revis or no Revis, he needs to do better. Or perhaps our playbook is just too predictable.

This could be his last year. Time for Gonzo to stay fit and make a claim.

What I loved about what him and Mathis did was instead of holding out, they went to work and earned the money. Revis has been able to shut down the top WRs in the league, I don't expect Wayne to beat Revis multiple times when Revis blanketed Andre and Calvin Johnson. I think the playbook thing is just because of the injuries. We had so many 2nd and 3rd string guys in that Manning couldn't use the full playbook because they don't know all of the plays and audibles. From what I've heard, the Colts playbook is actually one of the smaller ones in the NFL. They focus on being able to execute plays properly and find the right play for what the defense does.

If the Johnson 'twins' were held to one catch / one yard I take it back. And I'm sorry, Wayne and Mathis are under contract, so coming to work is their obligation, and it should not be respected one little iota. Seeing that as a positive is just a joke. Next you'll be telling us that we should be grateful they didn't hold out for the actual regular season. Let's leave that disgusting behaviour to the Crabtree's of this world.

If the Johnson 'twins' were held to one catch / one yard I take it back. And I'm sorry, Wayne and Mathis are under contract, so coming to work is their obligation, and it should not be respected one little iota. Seeing that as a positive is just a joke. Next you'll be telling us that we should be grateful they didn't hold out for the actual regular season. Let's leave that disgusting behaviour to the Crabtree's of this world.

I don't feel as strongly about holdouts as you do, especially when they were in training camp. All they missed was non-mandatory activities, unlike Crabtree, who missed the first month or so of the season. There's a difference.

I think the issue in the Jets game was multi-faceted. The fact that we went three and out several times, plus their offense controlled the second half, and we didn't have much working down the middle of the field ... and then you get to the Revis factor. I don't blame Reggie as much as I blame Manning, who made a conscientious effort to get rid of the ball quickly, which often meant Reggie didn't even get looked at. Had we been able to pick a 3rd and 1 here and there on the ground, maybe we get a few more plays for him to put some work in.

I really think an improved line will cause our WR corp to shine. Sure Reggie didn't get downfield as often, but not even Marvin would have been able to with a second or two before the pocket is collapsed or destroyed. Manning is not a scrambler.

Our woeful line was the cause of most of our offensive problems last year. That and OF COURSE the awful slew of injuries we endured.

PM did a LOT with a little last year. I hope our draftee OLs and up-and-comers can come in and shore things up.

screen-shot-2009-12-28-at-5.19.01-pm.png

4 catches for 35 yards and no TDs? That's impressive considering Andre is the best receiver in the NFL and he averages over 70 yards per game for his career. 2 catches for 33 yards for Colston. 13 receiving yards in total for Calvin Johnson. 3 catches for 44 yards in 2 games for TO. 9 catches for 71 yards in 2 games for Moss. Revis can flat out shut down your best receiver. It's unreal to expect Revis to hold every receiver to 1 reception for 1 yard, but when you limit the offense's best option to less than half of his per game average, that's nuts.

I know Mathis and Wayne are obligated to work, but players hold out all the time. It was just good to see them come to work again rather than hold out like so many players do. At least they are proven vets, a guy like Crabtree had no experience and had not proven himself at all in the NFL.

that and reggie is just getting slower with age. he should call his old friend bob sanders and get some peds.

that and reggie is just getting slower with age. he should call his old friend bob sanders and get some peds.

PEDs? Really? Man, I'm going to give you some advice here, never accuse a player of anything like that without evidence. Unsubstantiated claims will only make you look bad. You have 0 evidence that Bob ever used performance enhancing drugs.

PEDs? Really? Man, I'm going to give you some advice here, never accuse a player of anything like that without evidence. Unsubstantiated claims will only make you look bad. You have 0 evidence that Bob ever used performance enhancing drugs.

er, i don't need or want you advice. in case u didn't know this is a fan forum not the new york times. yes, i think bob sanders used peds...as i'm sure many other colts have. heck, considering how small they are i wish more colts used them.....worked for ray lewis.

Dear God. What a comical post for a number of reasons. First it is a freaking fan forum and not some major news outlet and there are miles of differences in the standards between the two. Secondly, this really can't be the first time you have heard the insinuation of Sanders using PED's. Lastly, is it really all that hard to believe? The suspicion does not seem too unreasonable.

Or we could all keep quiet and just say Bob is well toned :). I don't think we have evidence either for or against Bob using them, so speaking of it is pretty irrelevant. One fact I can say, though, is he's very short, so that can help augment a man's physical features.

Might have been sarcasm though; kinda like I'll take whatever Manning's smoking :P

Dear God. What a comical post for a number of reasons. First it is a freaking fan forum and not some major news outlet and there are miles of differences in the standards between the two. Secondly, this really can't be the first time you have heard the insinuation of Sanders using PED's. Lastly, is it really all that hard to believe? The suspicion does not seem too unreasonable.

I understand it's not a major news source, but I just don't think it's a good idea to be calling out players like that. I don't think it's a good idea to question a player's integrity like that. Football players are freaks of nature. If a regular person can bench press 200 lbs 5 times, they are considered above average for their strength. If a football player can bench 225 for 5 reps, they are considered weak. Football players are all big and strong, there is no need to accuse them of using PEDs. PEDs are used in every sport, but all players are innocent until proven guilty.

er, i don't need or want you advice. in case u didn't know this is a fan forum not the new york times. yes, i think bob sanders used peds...as i'm sure many other colts have. heck, considering how small they are i wish more colts used them.....worked for ray lewis.

Where is your evidence that Ray Lewis used PEDs? I don't think it's right to accuse players of such things with 0 evidence.

I understand it's not a major news source, but I just don't think it's a good idea to be calling out players like that. I don't think it's a good idea to question a player's integrity like that. Football players are freaks of nature. If a regular person can bench press 200 lbs 5 times, they are considered above average for their strength. If a football player can bench 225 for 5 reps, they are considered weak. Football players are all big and strong, there is no need to accuse them of using PEDs. PEDs are used in every sport, but all players are innocent until proven guilty.

Where is your evidence that Ray Lewis used PEDs? I don't think it's right to accuse players of such things with 0 evidence.

One more time. It is a fan forum. The accusation means next to nothing.

Given your screen name and avatar, I think you are probably in denial. Doesn't it seem at least possible that the injuries that he suffered were the result of having an overly muscled body on a frame that did not support it? And what is one really good way to get built like Sanders is? What could it be?

Back to the topic - the Colts absolutely have one of the better receiving corps in the game. If they all stay healthy, they will put up huge numbers. A hopefully improved offensive line, a better running game, and those receivers ill make the Colts offense dynamic again.

"er, i don't need or want you advice. in case u didn't know this is a fan forum not the new york times. yes, i think bob sanders used peds...as i'm sure many other colts have. heck, considering how small they are i wish more colts used them.....worked for ray lewis."

Hmmm I was trying to have a good convo and discussion about the receiving Corps for the Colts and statements like this come into play. I think that's why these emotions were created for the forums: :topic: and :troll:

I really think an improved line will cause our WR corp to shine. Sure Reggie didn't get downfield as often, but not even Marvin would have been able to with a second or two before the pocket is collapsed or destroyed. Manning is not a scrambler.

Our woeful line was the cause of most of our offensive problems last year. That and OF COURSE the awful slew of injuries we endured.

PM did a LOT with a little last year. I hope our draftee OLs and up-and-comers can come in and shore things up.

I think people underestimate how much poor offensive line play affects the entire offense. Even Reggie is a step slower then what he was our inability to consistency pass protect makes the WRs have shorter routes so we can get the ball out quickly. Also, injuries to the other WRs and Clark hurt Reggie as well.

As long as our guys can stay healthy we have one of the best WR/TE cores out there. What would really help is Garcon step up and finally be a consistent contributor out there. We need him to consistently be that deep threat and home run hitter. You have Reggie being the possession WR, Collie working the slot, and Garcon being the home run hitter and you got a great trio right there.

Our receiving corps includes:

Wayne - Clearly our number one guy. He has wicked chemistry with Peyton and while he isn't a speedy guy, he knows how to get open. There is no reason to think he isn't going to be a top 5 WR next season.

Garcon - Has the potential to be a top 10 receiver, but he isn't consistent enough. He is fast, strong and tough, but he will drop some of the easiest passes. Then on the same drive, he will make a ridiculous one handed catch (like this beauty). If he improves his consistency and spends more time with Peyton getting their timing and everything down, he has wicked potential.

Gonzo - Tons of potential, but too injury prone. This is a make or break year for him and he knows it. Keep him for this year and see how he does. If I remember correctly, he is still on his rookie contract, so his cap hit is something like $500 000.

Collie - Awesome player. Just needs to heal up from the concussions and Peyton needs to do his best to not put him in position to take those hits anymore.

White - Seems like he does well on punt return. He clearly isn't a top 15 receiver in the NFL, but he was fairly consistent and did his job well when asked.

Clark - Great TE, second best in the NFL. I'll expect him to have a great season next year

Tamme - Did well when called upon. I'm excited to see what Peyton does with him and Clark both available

RBs - They are all pretty solid pass catchers. No worries here in terms of their receiving.

Nothing to worry about here. Keep in mind Polian could also sign some undrafted rookies once the CBA is sorted out

agree , just wonder if we will use 2 TE sets to utilize both Tamme & Clark, alot depends on new line and how blocking goes, if use tamme or brody E on many plays, if keep substituting can slow things and eventually may give away when pass or run, if Tammes blocking picks up AWESOME then

Of Course we need to stay injury free

Is it so hard to believe? Not necessarily. But he did play for the Hawkeyes in college, and he was extremely buff then as well. The University of Iowa has RIDICULOUS standards of testing for PED's and narcotics, which is why players are kicked off of the team all the time. They are also among the top 5 athletic programs in the nation in terms of strength development. They often turn 230 pound AP players into 320 pound starting NFL Linemen in no time.

"er, i don't need or want you advice. in case u didn't know this is a fan forum not the new york times. yes, i think bob sanders used peds...as i'm sure many other colts have. heck, considering how small they are i wish more colts used them.....worked for ray lewis."

Hmmm I was trying to have a good convo and discussion about the receiving Corps for the Colts and statements like this come into play. I think that's why these emotions were created for the forums: :topic: and :troll:

how was i off topic?? i was talking about reggie wayne, a receiver, who plays for the colts......i didn't realize bob's #1 fan would respond. hell, i was a huge bob fan.....

agree , just wonder if we will use 2 TE sets to utilize both Tamme & Clark, alot depends on new line and how blocking goes, if use tamme or brody E on many plays, if keep substituting can slow things and eventually may give away when pass or run, if Tammes blocking picks up AWESOME then

Of Course we need to stay injury free

I am really excited to see what Peyton will do with Tamme and Clark.

Honestly, I'm a little worried - yes we have far more glaring needs on the team other than WR, but looking at the WR position in isolation, how do you feel about what we have on the roster?

Can someone confirm whether or not Reggie was playing through injury last year at some point onward or if he was fine? Because last year, he was a shadow of himself at times despite recording a career high in catches - he was rarely able to get open deep down the sideline against single coverage and his Y/R was a career low. I think he would experience a second-half career renaissance if he was a #2 posession-type receiver who could feast off #2 CBs if we had a legit #1 who could stretch the field

Was Garcon playing through injury last season too? I think last season was a bit of a disappointment compared to the high hopes we had for him based on his strong showing in 2009. The same issues we got infuriated with him about in 2009 were still abundant in 2010 (hands, concentration, route running) ..I'm not sure the ceiling for him is that high in terms of his potential and I don't think we'll really see him blossom into a player of the calibre of Reggie (unless he spends the entire off-season with a Jugs machine)

...he kinda reminds me of Chris Chambers ..he can excel in what he's good at but if you try to grow him into a more complete receiver and expect him to run a full range of routes, I think you'll start seeing his limitations (hope I'm wrong!). I would rather a more efficient receiver like Gonzalez in the line-up over him except he hasn't proved he can stay healthy an entire season. I still don't trust Garcon to consistently take the top off the opposing Ds.

Collie, I feel, is the brightest spot on the receiving corps and is the guy that gets all of us the most excited. Our offense is night and day without him (remember the Titans game where our first and second half offenses were completely different) and I think he is a key to us being dominant again because he completely opens up the middle of the field

Blair White is an excellent backup / bench player and that's where he ideally belongs. I guess our WRs are okay, but unless Wayne was simply playing hurt last year, I'm skeptical as to whether we have players who can consistently bring "the big play" back to our offense, especially with our garbage running game. I think next season we'll need to consider acquiring a new #1 WR

I'm not worried. There's more than enough for Manning to work with.

Regarding Wayne, of course he played hurt. He's not missed any games since 2001 or 2002. He's been a cog and a team leader, not part of the problem. There aren't many receivers that could have put up his numbers under last year's circumstances. Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. His fate is going to be partially determined by what the Colts do in the 2012 draft where I expect them to take a WR higher up......but wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back for several more seasons. A new deep threat burner in the 2012 draft would be great incentive for Wayne to be more reasonable with his asking price if wanting to continue to be a Colt. I think that'll happen.

you shouldn't be too worried about the receiving core. What makes Peyton so great is that he doesn't need the greatest receivers around him. Now let's look at our receivers:

Reggie: Solid and consistent, but he could be leaving and could leave a big dent.

Pierre: Big play receiver, who needs to work on his hands

Collie: Like you said NYColt, brighest spot on the receiving core, and on the team. One of the best up-and-coming receivers in the NFL.

White: 5 TD catches last year, and only played as a backup in 13 games. Another potential good player.

Smith: Had one good preseason game with Painter, and has good speed...

...and there's always free agency. There's nothing to big to worry about, just Reggie, and he's probably staying.